“Don't Let The Good Reviews Fool You.”
Review of Flamingo Motel

Flamingo Motel
Ranked #56 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
Reisterstown, Maryland
“Don't Let The Good Reviews Fool You.”
Reviewed October 10, 2011

When booking a place to stay a friend once told me “beware of anything that has Motel or Inn in the title.” At that time I couldn’t really agree that her motto was true however after staying with this motel in late August with my kids, I totally see the reasoning in her motto. The room looked liked something out of a horror movie, The paint on the walls were pale pink, the carpet was just as dreary and the ceiling had water stains so bad that the kids screamed to be changed to another room. I called the front desk to explain the condition of the room and was told they could move me for one night but I would have to come back to the room the next day. I couldn’t really see the reasoning for that and as I was residing to put up with the hole in the wall I rented for a week, front desk sent maintenance up to survey the room. Once they got a look and smell I was moved to a new room but guess my shock when the new room mirrored the old room. I knew then that this was all the motel had to offer so why complain. I booked this trip as part of my son’s 12th birthday present and I was honestly expecting a nice little room that stood close to the beach at least that’s what the reviews described. I read reviews expecting to get the skinny on a place before I book and for the most part reviews are helpful but I’m finding it truer that places with Inn or Motel have very low quality despite some reviews exclaiming it’s nice for the price. According to the reviews for the Flamingo it’s a nice place for kids, it has an heated indoor pool, and the rooms are suitable for the price however, The design of the place is extremely flawed nothing is connected, the pool is indoor but not heated plus it’s a long walk across a public parking lot to get to it and of course the rooms are disgusting. The one true thing the reviews boast about is the closeness of the beach. If you get the right room you can see the beach and it’s literally a few feet away.

Room Tip: Do not book here it's not worth more than $30 a day
5 Thank blkbty
theflamingomotel, Manager at Flamingo Motel, responded to this review, November 14, 2011
Thanks for your feedback. We are so pleased you chose to stay with us, and are disappointed to hear your stay didn’t live up to your expectations. I can assure you that we take care to keep our pool temperature in the range required by the Health Department. Although our property is not laid out in our ideal design, we are delighted that we have been able to expand our amenities over our 48 year history to include our indoor and outdoor pools.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Reviewed October 9, 2011

My family and I went down to o.c. last weekend, lets just say its been a long time since we've stayed at the Flamingo, but we have stayed there before and liked it. It was O.K., rooms were very outdated, beds and pillows were too. The weekend was pretty cool so I thought the indoor pool would be useful, but the pool was pretty cool temperature so I didn't really want to get in. I do like the location and that it is pretty close to the boardwalk.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank jult1972
Pottstown
Reviewed August 24, 2011

Our stay was horrible! Considering we paid over $100 a night. The hotel was filthy and the rooms were so out dated!!! The shower head was falling off the wall, there was other people hair left over in the tub (YUCK), beds were very uncomfortable that you could almost see the springs, the pillows were probably as old as the hotel, we had bugs in our sink, the water did not drain in the sink either so when ya brushed ur teeth you had to leave the water off then the bugs would fly out, the balcony was covered in sand, the fridge was missing parts and all of our stuff kept falling out, the carpet was so dirty that my socks were black in the matter of minutes. Also, I had to wipe off the table with wipes since they were covered in dirt.

The pool outside was filthy as well. The ground around the pool was covered in sand as well as the pool covered with sand on the bottom. The tables had food left over on them and the showers outside were just nasty. Not to mention the stair wells smelled like someone has been peeing in them. Don't get me started on the parking. We drove around for about an hour one night just trying to get a parking spot that my husband ended up parking in the loading section in from of the office because there was just NO where else to park. What is that all about? How can you not have parking left for the people who are renting from you. That makes not sense. We decided to leave our car for what ever we did next because it was not worth the bother of trying to get a spot to park at night.

We stayed at the Flamingo years ago and I can tell you now that we will NEVER stay there again nor would we ever recommend this place to anyone. We paid over $600 for 3 nights and I feel that we should be reimbursed some of the money that we put out to stay there and they wont give us a dime back! Never again!

2 Thank Carla K

Travelers are raving about these Ocean City hotels

Millersville MD
Reviewed August 23, 2011

Just came home from a trip to Ocean City, MD where I stayed at the Flamingo. The best recommendation I can give about this property is that the staff is excellent. They are attentive, patient and ever watchful, which was important as I was traveling solo. I felt totally safe and secure, whatever activity I was engaged in. I liked the Samsung flat screen TV, even tho I didn't use it much. Some hotels/motels have cruddy TVs...The Flamingo isn't one of them! I found the room to be very clean except the carpet and I'm just being a realist. I'm visiting at the end of the season, of course the carpets are going to be in bad shape. I'm betting most of the OC hotels are by and large the same way. Some have said that the bathroom was too small but I thought it was just fine. It took a couple of minutes to get hot water...but I got it. The fridge worked well, plenty of drawer space and hangers in the closet. Understand that there was only one of me...I didn't have to share. But this would not have been a problem if I was sharing. The balcony is essential for me, if for nothing else, to hang my beach towel. I had a room in the 1st tower, no ocean view...except when I was on my balcony I did have an ocean view! Yay! Great that there was both an indoor and an outdoor pool. I also appreciated being able to use a changing room after checking out (cause I wasn't finished using the beach yet!). BTW the walk to the beach is a snap. It had a restroom and shower area, only soap available. But I think they would have given a towel had I needed one and anything else as they are so nice. The best feature for me is that this hotel is near the beach & boardwalk but not on the boardwalk. I ate out twice during my stay and can recommend both restaurants. Mother's Cantina on 28th and Philadelphia had great nachos and nice, cold beer. But my favorite was the Satalite Cafe on 24th St and the boardwalk (look for the Howard Johnson's). My waitress was fantastic, the prices very low and they serve the best patty melt I've ever had, for $5.99! I will definately be back next summer and will stay in an effeciency with my husband and grandkids. Wish I was back there now!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank dana21108
Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 22, 2011

What a great motel at a resonable price!! Nice inside and outside pool, within walking distance of restaurant and attractions. I have stayed at high priced condos and hotels, but will be returning to the Flamingo in future vacations. We had a kitchenette in Tower 2 with an ocean view. The room was clean,comfortable beds, our housekeeper Martha was just great, she was caring of all our needs. They also have a suite available with a separate sitting area and two TV's, whitch was also nice. Front desk was friendly and helpful, had fresh coffee made every morning. A few feet from the ocean.

Room Tip: Tower two less noisey than pool side rooms.
4 Thank sachet10k
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 10, 2011

We had a great time in Ocean City, MD. A great family vacation by the beach and boardwalk. The motel was very good, affordable, and the staff are very friendly, polite and helpful. We will definitely stay at the Flamingo Motel again.

2 Thank goldfishangel
Lancaster, PA, & Lake George NY
Reviewed August 7, 2011

We've had some good luck with motels in Ocean City recently. The Flamingo was our last stay. A blast! Rooms clean, staff and housekeeping were so very helpful. When battery in remote died a whole new remote was delivered in less than 5 minutes on a sold out Saturday nite no less. When parking lot was full a staff member came out to the lot to help us with parking. Super shower facility to use on the day of check out . Very quiet and family friendly.

Room Tip: Don't forget to mention your AAA membership for a discount
3 Thank sevenangels