“It served its purpose”
Review of Grand Hotel & Spa

Grand Hotel & Spa
Ranked #14 of 104 Hotels in Ocean City
Reviewed August 30, 2007

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Grand Hotel from Aug 28-Aug 30 for a quick getaway. The hotel is what is it. But is served its purpose for the 2 nights we were there. The positives: the location (walking distance from the Boardwalk and the beach), the hotel seems to have everything (clothing stores, salon, ice cream parlor, pizza place) on its premises. The negatives: not the cleanest, no wifi in the rooms (only available in the lobby--how ghetto is that!!), you can't connect DVD or video games console to the TV for the rare moment you want to stay in and watch movies, their restaurant only serves breakfast, the rooms have 2 queen sized HARD beds (king size is not an option). All in all, our stay was overall OK but could be better. We won't be staying here on our next OC excursion.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank fybr01
Write a ReviewReviews (3,757)

Reviewed August 28, 2007

We stayed at the Grand Aug 19-21 and had a nice room on the 6th floor. The room was very spacious, large bathroom, and nice area outside of the bathroom with "kitchen sink", countertop, cabinets, and microwave. This was an unexpected plus since we had our 7month old baby with us. We had no real complaints about the place, except for the food at the breakfast restaurant. The spa service (massage) was excellent, and the hotel location is good as well. Our friend was in a room on the 2nd floor, and while the size was the same, her room was tiled, and not carpeted like ours upstairs. I did prefer the carpet. Her view was the roof of the stores below, so definitely higher is better. When she complained at the desk, they told her it was b/c she did not book directly through the hotel (she used Orbitz, just as the others in our parties did), and there was nothing they could do about it b/c they were filled to capacity. She was not amused by their reasoning. The rest of us who used Orbitz were on the 6th floor and had no problems.

For Ocean City, I think The Grand is worth serious consideration.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank dewhee32
Reviewed August 24, 2007

When going to Ocean City Maryland, you don't have many "great" hotels unless you want to pay $ 600.00 + per night to stay at the new Hilton ! Basically you look for the best of the "beach hotels" and realize you are basically just sleeping there - lol. We have stayed at the Princess Royale, The Dunes, The Carousel, The Atlantic, and this year The Grand because it had the best price ( $ 169.00 a night ), a great location ( 21st Street ) and based on seeing the hotel, we figured we would give it a try. We were happy overall, and if we can get a great deal again next year, we will go again. We have a father/daughter vacation every Summer, and we were both happy with the hotel. Again, you're not getting a 5 star hotel, and my wife would never stay there, but we thought the room was a nice size, overall clean, and a great location. As another reviewer wrote, no privacy on decks which is a bummer - but again, our time in the room was to sleep only - if you are looking for a more romantic getaway, probably not the best to have fun. Outdoor pool was adequate, indoor pool a bit "stuffy", never got to the resteraunt. 24 hour coffee shop was convenient. All in all, if you are looking for the best bang for your buck, and just want a fairly clean place to crash - The Grand was very good !

Stayed: August 2007
2  Thank cruzans
Reviewed August 23, 2007

The grand hotel is an old property that needs a make over or something. I can't quite put my finger on it. My wife and I stayed one night at The Grand Hotel.

The plumbing is one of those things that needs upgrading or looked into; the A/C unit was very loud with hissing off and on sounds throughout room. You couldn't quite pinpoint it in one area. The celing is thin, I could hear footsteps above me walking around. The toilet made loud and strange sounds when flushed. The hotel offers a breakfast buffet, but we did not see anything offered for dinner or lunch. I do remember a long line for breakfast at 10:00 AM, we turned around and went to another favorite hotel of mine a lot further away down the road and no lines there for breakfast.

Overall: The hotel is convenient to the boardwalk, nice parking garage, two pools and ocean front rooms are available. The hotel is old and plumbing could be a problem for some or all rooms. My greeting at the front desk was just OK and nothing special. For the money, I would certainly look elsewhere.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Downtown_One
Reviewed August 20, 2007

I'm a 54 year old woman who went for a week in July with my mother as a special birthday treat for myself. The first night (Saturday) we were on the 2nd floor and the noise was horrible. Doors slamming, people yelling in nearby rooms, etc. Sunday we asked to be moved and apparently there was only one room available at "our rate" and we would be called when it was available. We waited all day, checking in occasionally to see if we could move and for some reason it took until my 5:30 call to get the other room. That was basically 2 days of my vacation! Then the voice mail didn't work, the iron didn't work (took two calls and several hours to get an iron!) Amenities were not left by the cleaning service so we had to track down the maid's cart several times to get shampoo, etc.

I wrote to the hotel with my complaint and received no reply. I wrote to the management company and received no reply.
Bottom line is I spent over $1,400 for the room, money in the restaurant, money in the salon and money in the shops. Next time I'll know better and spend my money where I am appreciated as a customer.

Stayed: July 2007
4  Thank feiler47
Reviewed August 13, 2007

For the last 4 years we have stayed at the Grand while at Ocean City. We have always had such a pleasant experience while staying there. We never had any complaints until this year.
We arrived at the Grand on July 15. The next day as we were all getting ready to leave, we took time and put all our suitcases in one place and hid our purses in the draws like we do every year. Later that night we all went back to the hotel and got changed and went out to eat and do some shopping. When my daughter opened her purse to pay for something she found out she was missing $80. At first we just thought she misplaced her money and did not think anything about it, but decided we better all check our wallets. I was missing $70, my son was missing $30 and his friend was missing $40. Altogether we were missing $220! Whoever did it did not remove all the money, just took some out of each wallet, maybe hoping that no one would notice.
We immediately went to find the manager because the only other person in our room besides ourselves was their maid service. We told the front desk that we had money stolen from our room. She said that they were not responsible. We asked to see a manager, but she said there was not one available. Finally after waiting at the front desk and asking about 3 people we finally got to talk to the manager, Mario. He said that they would investigate and get back to us and directed us to security. The security guard asked us a few questions and said that he would be talking to their employees and get back to us. We never heard from them again. Anytime we wanted to find out anything we went to them. They always had some excuse like we haven’t talk to everyone yet. After two more days of getting the run around we decided to leave and get a room somewhere else.
We moved to the Holiday Inn on the boardwalk to finish out our vacation. (Note: Holiday Inn did everything they could to make the rest of our stay pleasant. There was also a safe in the room!) We just want everyone to know that if they choose to stay at the Grand do NOT leave anything of value in the room. And if you are as unlucky as we were, you need to know that you will not get any help from the hotel manager and/or the staff and you will feel like they are pointing fingers at you!

10  Thank alg951
Reviewed July 13, 2007

Overall-ok hotel. The biggest issue for us was that we asked specifically for "oceanfront" when making the reservation. We got into the room and was disappointed to find that it was ocean view. Fortunately, the manager gave us a discounted rate and offered to move us into an oceanfront room. We were told that oceanfront rooms are called "premiere" rooms. I suggested they train their people taking the reservations to advise their guests about this or change the name descriptions.

• Stayed: June 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank sben33