“Stay somewhere else”
Review of Grand Hotel & Spa

Grand Hotel & Spa
Ranked #14 of 104 Hotels in Ocean City
Reviewed June 20, 2009

Looks okay from outside and the lobby but once you get to your room look out. This was the grossest hotel I think I ever stayed in and we travel a lot. I will only take time to review really bad or really good. This was really bad. The rooms are outdated and very dark. The carpet was filthy and barely even attached to the floor anymore. The balcony was barren Except for a plastic chair, as were other balconies we could see. The room we were given smelled awful like cigs, cigars, must and other scents we could not identify. We would have been better off sleeping on the beach.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
4  Thank Meatloaf27
Write a ReviewReviews (3,708)

Reviewed June 10, 2009

When we first got there we were pretty impressed for being Ocean City. We usually stay wherever we can get a room cheapest. When we checked in the girl behind the counter was sweet and helpful. We made it to our room and got comfy. The room was clean and neat and the view was decent (even though it was a "side-view"). The location was AWESOME! We decided to stay in the first night because we checked in late (9pm). We went down to the bar to get a couple of 6packs of beer to take to the room and the bartender barely understood what we were asking for. We even pointed out what we wanted from a printed list, and he still brought us the wrong beer. We are not the arguing type so we just shrugged it off and took what he gave us back to the room to enjoy our evening. The first morning we were there we decided to get breakfast from their resturaunt. This was a HUGE mistake. The website says they offer a buffet, which was not true. After struggling with the waiter who didn't understand much English we decided to just order breakfast and deal with it. We finally got our food and it was GROSS! the eggs were rubbery, the cheese was shrink wrapped stuff, it was all just very icky. We had originally ordered an extra side of home fries and when it didn't come with the rest of the food we inquired about it. The waiter looked at us like we were crazy then had to go get someone else to come talk to us because he didn't understand what we were asking. When we finally got it, it was the only decent thing I had from that whole breakfast. After having to get up to find our waiter to get our bill we paid and headed out for a day at the beach. The service at this hotel became the joke of the weekend and we ate all of our meals and drinks elsewhere the rest of the weekend. Overall, aside from the INCREDIBLE location, nothing else was worth the money. Next weekend we decide to hit the beach, we will probably be staying elsewhere.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ChrissyLa
GHManager, Assistant General Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2009

I was very upset to hear about this bad experience with the stores in the hotel. Although we do not operate these individual food service establishments, they are in this hotel, so I understand the disappointment. We have been working with these food and beverage managers to ensure guest satisfaction. They have been made aware of all complaints and concerns expressed by our guests, and we will continue to work with them in the effort to leave our mutual guests with fond memories of their vacation.

Reviewed June 2, 2009

I have been going to Ocean City, Maryland since 1979 and there were some years I went 2-3 times and some years I did not go at all. But of ALL the hotels/motels I have stayed at, the GRAND HOTEL has been my favorite and we DEFINITELY will book it on our next visit. We LOVED the whirlpool, and for the small price difference, that is something we plan to always get in the future too. The view is spectacular since all rooms with the whirlpools are on the 12th floor. Sitting out on the balcony was just awesome! Even though I would prefer it more private so that the balconies to the left & right of us were not in view, that didn't bother me too much.
The big thing I really liked is how clean the room was, especially the bathroom. That is a BIG deal to me and usually rooms at the beach, or on the boardwalk seem to have almost a slight type of mildew in the room's air, but ours didn't at THE GRAND HOTEL which I again just loved!! And what a nice bathroom too. Plenty of shelf space to put all your personal products during your stay.
King size bed AND very comfy! They use the plushest types of quilts that seem like they are filled with down feathers, they're just so soft.
Naturally all the other little extras were there too that most places have, refrigerator, wetbar, microwave, roomsafe (we didnt use it though).
Hubby & I were tickled that their coffee shop was open 24 hrs because at 2am we had a sweet craving so we went down and they have delicious pastries to choose from. Their prices are a bit high in my opinion though. Two med coffees & 4 pastries cost us $15. But it was convenient.

We didn't realize until the night before we left that they also have a nice exercise room, a big game room which included shuffleboard and floor chess.........too cool!!
I have no clue why someone else commented they couldn't get the internet in their room because I did the entire time I was there. The connection was Low speed, but it worked just fine for my needs, checking email and information on surrounding areas there at OC is what I used it for. I was so glad I didn't have to go to the lobby to use the internet. Just another of many reasons why we enjoyed our stay there.

After telling my girlfriend about it, her & her husband plan to go in August.

Yes, two thumbs up from my husband & I. Attached are some photos

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank psmelrose92
Reviewed May 30, 2009

My family and I went to the Grand Hotel on Memorial day weekend and had a blast! I read another review about this same weekend and I must disagree with everything said. I too had a room without carpet (2nd floor?) the room was perfectly clean and the houskeeping staff was very friendly when I asked for extra towels and blankets. My family and I interacted with other guests ( at the outdoor pool and cocktail lounge) and found everyone to be friendly. I must say that the staff at the desk was very helpful in finding us great places to eat and had a great attitude. I have to just say ITS A HOLIDAY WEEKEND PEOPLE!!! when you come down the town is going to be packed with all types of people....pull the stick out of your you know what and have a bit of fun! The grand hotel was great and we will be back....infact we booked for 4th of july when we checked out.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank acountsreFUNdable
Reviewed May 26, 2009

We made reservations at the Grand Hotel five or six months prior to staying here for Memorial Day weekend. We wanted a hotel which was on the boardwalk, and close to shoppes and restaurants.
Upon arriving at the hotel, we realized that there were multiple "biker clubs" staying at the hotel, as evident of the 50+ sport bikes parked directly outside of the lobby. It was obvious this almost immediately spelled disaster, as the bikers were loud from the get-go, and one could tell they were ready to let loose.
When we checked into the hotel, the front desk personnel was polite and allowed us to check into our room a few hours early, which we found convenient. However, the room we stayed in was something to be desired, as there was no carpet in the room at all, instead ceramic tile floors. The balcony doors lock was broken, so we were forced to use the safety beam against the door frames for security. The outside balcony was dirty and unclean. There were plastic bags, cigarette butts, old cigars, and miscellaneous trash scattered around the outside of our room. Needless to say, we wasn't going to take advantage of sitting on the balcony. ( 2nd floor )
Getting past the dirty balcony and the odd tiled room floor, we did enjoy the options the hotel had to offer, such as the downstairs cafe, and the shoppes directly underneath the hotel. In addition, we had hot water throughout the stay, which is always a positive. The over-all cleanliness of the room *inside* was good, as was the bathroom.
However, out stay was cut 1 day/1 night short due to the rowdiness of other hotel guests. As mentioned earlier, there were apparently many "biker clubs " ( I mention biker clubs loosely, most likely closer to gangs ) staying in this hotel, which had 0 respect for other people or families staying in the hotel, or visiting Ocean City Maryland. During the day, some of the younger biker members were hanging off the balcony throwing objects, and yelling loudly at other "bikers" at a hotel across the street. They were also practicing burnouts on their bikes, blasting profane music, and simply being an annoyance to vacationers. If one were to want a good idea of what this was like, look no further than a typical frat party at a large university. (minus the kegs of beer and nudity-at least I did not witness ) There were also many annoyances of car alarms constantly going off, and horns being blown, which almost seemed to be done on purpose, just to disturb the peace of people around the area. I therefore consider it the hotels responsibility to keep this type of behavior to a minimum, either by hotel security, or by getting the Ocean City Police involved. Neither happened.
The best part of our stay happened during the nights, typically from the hours of 10pm-4am. The first nights stay consisted of random noise outside; bike motors revving, music blaring, and car alarms going off. The second night however, was much worse. There was consistent noise from 12:30am, till 4am. Not only was there motorcycles doing burnouts, revving their motors outside of our room on the public street, but there were also multiple vehicles parked in the hotel parking lot blasting bass music, setting off alarms, and blowing their horns, up until 4am. We called the front office twice, asking them to take care of the situation. Each time, they apologized, stating they have called the police. After waiting for an hour and a half for the situation to die down, we decided to call the police ourselves. Longer story short; nothing was ever done to minimize the noise, or childish behavior by these bikers.
This left us with the following options: 1) stay put for another evening, and put up with the "hands off" approach by the hotel and police or 2) leave a day early and get a decent nights sleep at home. We took option 2. We were hoping to obtain a refund or rain check for the one night early departure by the hotel, after telling them our experience, and how we called the front desk twice, however, their policy did not cover this. Apparently, there were at least four other couples who were complaining around the same time we were there, who were also requesting their money back for an early departure, however the hotel would have none of it.
With all of the above stated, I would come to the following conclusions: 1) the hotel management was not as concerned about other customers, compared to the needs of the bikers. The bikers took up at least 50 rooms in the hotel, and I believe the hotel wants "return customers," even if it is thugs such as these. After all, what are five or six rented rooms compared to 50 bikers? 2) the hotel and/or OC police don't have the courage to uphold the law when it comes to disturbing the peace, and noise ordinances. 3) the hotel obviously went against their own policies for not enforcing policies for noise, however, they would not take consideration for the displeasure of our stay, and several complaints to the front desk. Again, the hotel management catered to the "outlaw" thuggish behavior of the bikers, rather than family oriented travelers.
All in all, the only way I would recommend this hotel, is if there aren't any special events happening in the hotel, and if you as a guest are willing to take a chance of not needing anything but a hotel room to stay in, with no expectations of hotel security or catering to you as a guest. I would also recommend not staying in some of the 2nd floor rooms, unless the hotel decides to clean up the balconies, and does something about the room flooring.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Marylandvacationer54
Reviewed May 22, 2009

The things I most care about are cleanliness and AC working. Both were up to par in my book. The pool was fine..the kids loved it. The pool towels smelled fresh, not of mildew which is crucial to me. The bathrooms were clean, well stocked. The staff was very friendly and nice. No complaints here. The best part was that we could just wake up, grab the stroller and all, go down the elevator and walk right out onto the boardwalk.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank mar_aar
Reviewed April 15, 2009

we went to oc for the easter holiday. It was fine to start. But. the it went down hiil. the rooms need a to be fixed up. Wallpaper coming off the wall. we had had to a broken shower. we called down to the front desk. they said they would send someone up to fix it. but the never did come. when we called a second time they said they said they came up. but no one was there. Why they just did not fix it then i will never know. should we have waited there all night . they then said we could change rooms but with 2 young kids sleeping and alot of stuff that would not be easy. when we talked to the front desk when we left. they said to call our charge card and let them deal with it. no sorry or would you like to see my manager. i still think that they never did come up to the room to fix the shower. When we asked if they knew any place that would have easter dinner the gave us a paper with a list . but had no clue if they were open on easter. If you want people to stay there on easter weekend i think you should know things like that for your guests that are staying there. so i will be staying at another hotel next year. the have bad service. and the rooms are not that clean. unless you complain ,.oh and if you want the internet they say they have it but you can not get a signal in your room. so you will have to go down to the lobby. just to get one.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank kris123Maryland
GHManager, Assistant General Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2009

I would like to assure everyone that we take our guests concerns very seriously. We understand that their comfort is key to our success. We do attempt to address all calls in a timely manner, and do not make a habit of bad service. In fact, we have implemented a guest service training program in order to ensure guest satisfaction. I would encourage anyone who is curious to stop by and talk to our friendly staff, or take a look at one of our beautiful rooms. We would love the chance to make your stay a wonderful one!