“Grand not too grand”

Ranked #15 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
Harleysville, Pennsylvania
“Grand not too grand”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a 2 nt. stay at the Grand Hotel in Ocean City, Md. We did read reviews- both negative and positive, but still decided to give it a try. From the pics it looked pretty nice-(although we know one cant always go by that). Our first impression when driving up to it was "looked a little outdated" but tried keeping positive. Lobby was fairly nice--but---when we opened the door to our room---a musty smell greeted us. We immediately opened the balcony door to air it out. The bed was clean and comfortable,but the dust ruffle had stains on it--looked like something spilled on it, and the carpeting was not just stained, it was dirty all along the walls.One could see it hadn't been vacuumed in a long time. Bathroom was clean. The rubber on the insulated curtains on the balcony door were stuck together, along with stains on the rubber--from sea gulls maybe??? Balcony was ok---except for rusty railing.So glad I had my Lysol with us. Bottom line-- we more than likely will not be back.

Room Tip: We had direct oceanfront room - top floor. anything lower you will see a roof that sea gulls love to...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kathleen g
Kara S, Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience from your recent stay with us. From your comments, the level of cleaning was clearly not acceptable and we are most embarrassed by our performance. We do respect your opinion and are distressed that the cleanliness of your room was not to your satisfaction. We set very high standards for our housekeeping department and are consistently performing quality checks in our rooms and through guest feedback. I have brought these issues to the attention of our Director of Housekeeping so she can retrain her staff accordingly. Once again, thank you for taking the time to comment.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (420)
York, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 28, 2013

Just attended a convention at the Grand Hotel and Spa in Ocean City Md. This convention has been a semi annual event for the last 30 plus years. We have stayed at more than a few hotels over that time. The Grand was by far the best experience yet. The hotel is a class above the others. The rooms were very nice, parking was easy and the service was second to none!
They took care of our every need. If you are going to Ocean City, check out the Grand. You will be glad you did!

Room Tip: Ocean front
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Kara S, Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 29, 2013
Thank you very much for your generous review! I am happy that you enjoyed our rooms, convenient parking, and helpful staff. We pride ourselves on having the best customer service in Ocean City and I am glad that you experienced this first hand. See you the same time next year for the convention!
Springfield, Missouri
Reviewed September 26, 2013

To be brief, this hotel looks great on paper with the list of amenities, and the exterior pics look good to. It all depends on what you expect and what you are paying. This hotel has a 5 star location right on the boardwalk, a 5 star view from the ocean view rooms with Large balconies (most other hotels here have much smaller balconies) but the rooms themselves are well worn and tired. For the 4 days I was there, no hot water; none. It was finally being fixed the day I left, but no hot water for 4 days? I understand things break, but the way they handled it is the big issue I had. Every time I walked by the front desk there were people complaining about it and yet they couldn't see to fix it.

Many of the reviews listed here are correct, its worn. If you are not paying a huge sum for this hotel and take it for what it is, then you will be fine. Just don't expect a 3 or 4 star property; it's not and unless they spend millions of dollars, it won't be.

Room Tip: You want a room right in the middle; the closer to the middle the better view you will have since th...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank getpaul
Kara S, Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Our hot water heater was due to be replaced on Wednesday the 11th and we contacted guests ahead of time to let them know, but we certainly did not expect it to fail before it was supposed to be replaced. We tried to get it back up and running as soon as possible, but I deeply apologize that this even occurred. We understand how much of an inconvenience it is. Anytime a guest is not satisfied or not comfortable for any reason, it becomes a great concern as guest satisfaction remains our top priority. I sincerely apologize you experienced this issue during your stay.
Perry Hall, Maryland
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Pros
1) We had an eleventh floor room and the view was spectacular
2) Very responsive to requests
3) 24 hr coffee shop
4) indoor swimming pool
Cons
1) Outdated,,,alot of things need to updated,,,art,decor,,you see spots and rust on lots of things
2) Outdoor pool has poor view of things
Overall,the cost for what you get may be on the expensive side if you compare to hotels located on the upper side of ocean city but compares well to hotels located in this area
I would go back to this place

Room Tip: choose top floors
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank perryhall411
Thank you for your review Dr. Murveit! We are thrilled you enjoyed the high ocean views, accommodating staff, and amenities here at the hotel. As stated in the email response to you, we are in the process of doing many renovations soon. Now that the season is slowing down we will have the room availability to start these updates. We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Ocean City and we hope to have newer decor and renovations for you to enjoy.
San Diego, California
Reviewed September 25, 2013 via mobile

I'd like to further ensure that my experience at this hotel never happen to anyone. We stayed at the Grand beginning of September, 400 dollars per night room, I agreed to stay even though it was explained to me I'd have Bay View and two Queen size beds.
No problem, last minute booking need somewhere nice to stay....
On the day of arrival, Checked in about 5pm we entered the room there was a huge body guard looking guy sitting, flipping through our TV channel, I was startled but he said he was checking to make sure everything works. ..
The bedding seems old including the squeaky bed itself but no big deal, we didn't complain we made it work for us.
On the day of my departure, hotel wasn't busy, few people in and out the resort. I sat by the lobby took my sunglasses off, called a cab for pick up. I got into the cab five minutes later realized I'd left my sunglasses at the resort.
I immediately called, receptionist quickly got me to someone who could help, lost and found. The glasses weren't turned in, I explained that they wouldn't have because I was just there 7mins and counting ago. My call was connected to head of house keeping. I told her where I was sitting; it took her five mins. She called back and told me, she had found my sunglasses exactly where I said they would be, in the lobby where I made the call to cab driver. I was relieved. These are 400 dóllars maui jim sunglasses. She took my phone number and credit card and said she would ship it to me express the next day. Next Day credit card had pending charges from the hotel for my "shipped" sunglasses. I was expecting my sunglasses within two to three days as the house keeper told me. A week had passed and nothing showed up in the mail. We received call from the manager, asking me to call. I tried many times, calls no answer and no voice mail to leave messages. Finally my bf called to speak to Nina the manager. She said the glasses that were turned in by housekeeping came in three days later and she needed to determine if they were mine????
My bf sent photos, close up of my sunglasses. She told us that the glasses they have didn't match my photos, she found d&g sunglasses....
Why weren't my glasses turned in to the manager on the same day and why did it take 3 days?
I personally spike to Nina and explained the scenario, head of house keeping called me, Elizabeth. She told me she believed she did speak to me and she found the glasses but she forgot them at her desk. I asked her why would she forget them on desk when she took credit card number and assured me that they would be shipped to me next day. She denied that she took my credit card number and that it was someone else. ...
I honestly believe someone switched out my sunglasses, layer the credit card pending charges were removed. I feel hustled and I don't think if you have valuables like expensive jewelry or accessories you should leave your stuff in your room. Also they didn't seem to have a safe in my room, not sure??

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank Denise C
Michelle G, Front Office Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. Unfortunately, it is difficult for us to reply to the situation regarding your sunglasses. You have spoken with three different managers at the hotel, and each time we have been told a different story. At first, you had no idea where you left your sunglasses; it was either in the lobby, outside, or in the coffee shop. Also, the hotel never took your credit card number over the phone and charged your account. Our lost and found department does not work this way. We do not charge any guest’s credit card until AFTER their items have been shipped, specifically to avoid any issues such as this one. I am very sorry for the loss of your sunglasses, but the hotel was never in the possession of them and we cannot be held liable for the loss of such items in our public areas with such a high volume of traffic. Once again, thank you for your comments and we hope you will not let this isolated situation deter you from visiting us again in the future.
Martinsburg, West Virginia, United States
Reviewed September 24, 2013

we did enjoy the hotel very much, the spa king rooms were really very nice. the only thing I felt it did lack was a small couch or relaxing chair of some kind to sit on. other than the bed. The view of the inlet, beach and city lights were above my exaptation's! liked the 24 hour coffee bar in hotel. I did also visit the spa. the massage was ok. decorated very nicely but I don't think I would have a second massage. it was chilly and to brightly lit. for me the Jacuzzi tub was great! overall a very nice hotel. I would stay again.

Room Tip: 12th floor inlet city views best. king suites
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tab M
I am happy to hear that your overall experience at the hotel was great. I agree that we should have more seating available in the rooms and have brought up the suggestion to our General Manager so hopefully we can have this new addition by the next time you visit our hotel! Once again, thank you for your nice review, and I am delighted to see that you had an enjoyable stay with us and that you found the service and facilities to be of an excellent standard.
Mays Landing, NJ
Reviewed September 24, 2013 via mobile

Outdated. Haven't reinvested any profits to update this property. Shabby. Quick hints: If you do stay here, don't stay under 9th floor or you will have compromised views. (I should have listened to guy in front of me asking to be moved higher.)DO NOT ACCEPT room on 3rd floor unless you like seagulls. Lower roof level and uninformed tourists throw food to them. NOT ENTERTAINING. Had initial room here and requested move to better location. Ocean view not worth that. But still had Wallpaper that was lifting, ill-fittings sheets, twilight curtains (see pic), sliding doors that are mis-named, sporadic attention to room servicing requests, (the signs for privacy and service are hard for staff to distinguish apparently) $5.00 resin chairs on balcony and no table. Positive notes:fully smoke-free property, bed was comfortable, staff seemed to try. Suggest you look elsewhere. I'm a frequent visitor to the area and won't ever return here. Oh, Internet connectivity not reliable either....

Stayed September 2013
3 Thank lunautique
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. I would like to apologize on behalf of the hotel and its’ entire team for your stay. We are aware that we are in need of renovations and we are making necessary changes during our off-season when it is not so busy. I am not sure if when you booked your reservation we only had Partial-Ocean View rooms available, but we do also offer Direct Ocean Front rooms which are in the center of the hotel. They are at a slightly higher price, but you will not have an obstructed view like your previous stay. Although our goal is for each guest to have a wonderful stay we are always thankful for the opportunity to understand how we may improve, so we appreciate your honesty, and we hope you give us the chance to regain your trust during your next vacation to Ocean City!