“Great Service!”

Ranked #15 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
Bethesda, Maryland
“Great Service!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

We held our Charity Event in the Grand Ballroom of the Hotel and the staff could not been more helpful. La Fabian and Anna took complete care of us from beginning to end and took over the function as if it were their own. Thanks to both of you for making our event a success! We will come back next year to do it again, because of the diligence and friendliness of a first rate staff

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Michelle G, Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
We are so thrilled that you enjoyed the services we provided here at the hotel! We have congratulated LaFabian and Anna of a job well done, and we look forward to welcoming you back next year!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (408)
Columbia, Maryland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

Booked this hotel months ago for my family vacation. The day before we were to arrive they called to let us know we would be without hot water for a day and that they would refund us our deposit if we wanted to cancel. However they refused to give any sort of discount. I couldn't imagine where I'd find a similar hotel room at a similar price with a days notice and I wasn't going to just cancel my vacation. I'm still waiting for the manager to call me back. I left a message 6 days ago.

We decided to go anyway. The view was great but the balcony had seen better days. They also aren't very private balconies. The beds were squeaky and uncomfortable. The blankets were so disgusting they put a sheet on the bottom and the top to try to mask this. The bathroom was tiny and trying to bathe my daughter in it was a challenge. The room was a nice size though. The ac was loud and my choices were freezing cold or humid and warm. The carpet needs a good cleaning. The art is unimaginative at best.

The hotel restaurant was one of the worst experiences. People who came in after us were waited on first. We were dining with a toddler so efficient service is important to us. When the waitress finally came over to us she wasn't very pleasant. When she delivered or drinks she forgot to bring our daughter her drink. That came like 5 minutes later when she took our order. The people who came in after us were done eating before we even got our food. It took about 45 minutes from ordering time to get a greek omelet and a waffle. They were out of fruit. No apology was offered when I had to point out the problem here. I had to have them pack up our food so I could take it back to our room as our daughter was done sitting patiently in the restaurant. After an hour with no food, can you blame her?

Lastly there's the pool. After swimming for a couple minutes in their outdoor pool I decided to get out. The water was a strange consistency and it didn't smell of chlorine at all. I wish I hadn't gotten in at all now. I have a terrible rash which we believe is swimmers itch (a parasite that lives in unclean fresh water). I hope my family doesn't get it at well.

I will never stay at this hotel again and I recommend you avoid it at all costs.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Eileen B

Travelers are raving about these Ocean City hotels

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2013

The hotel is older as most seem to be in OC, but is well kept up. We had an ocean front view and enjoyed the balcony in the morning and evening. The view of the beach was awesome. The pool on the backside was nice too. A great little coffee shop on the 1st floor. We also got the couples massage. A bit pricy for that but both ladies were very good.

Room Tip: Choose the ocean front, why else are you going to the beach
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tom M
Michelle G, Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 15, 2013
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us and other guests on TripAdvisor! We are so happy that you enjoyed with stay and hope to welcome you back the next time you are in Ocean City. Enjoy the rest of your summer and we look forward to seeing you again!
Eagan, Minnesota, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2013

First day...no water. Second and third days...no hot water. Third day they shut down water entirely for 9 hours. Scoops - their ice cream store...stale cones, ice in the ice cream (that happens when it's old). Pizza Joint...SUPER salty pizza. Not good at all.

In the end - I had a terrible experience. I travel a lot for work, and I was put here for a convention, and was miserable, cold and got the worse sleep ever. Pillows were old and smelled. I don't even want to think about who put their head down on that pillow before me.

Oh - and to top it off. Not ONE day was my room serviced!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Deb N
I am so sorry that you did not have an enjoyable stay! Our hot water heater was due to be replaced on Wednesday the 11th and we contacted guests ahead of time to let them know, but we certainly did not expect it to fail before it was supposed to be replaced. We tried to get it back up and running as soon as possible, but I deeply apologize that this even occurred. Please contact me directly so we can discuss this further, I would like to take this opportunity to remedy the situation.
White Marsh, Maryland, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

When we entered our room we were blown away by the view! Spectacular! But I booked a full ocean view on a high level, so it certainly did not disappoint. First thing we noticed was that we didn't have a remote for the TV which we went to the front desk and requested immediately. 5 hours later we received a remote . . . FOR THE WRONG TV. Upon unpacking I went to put my coffee that I brought from home into the closet only to discover that, despite having kitchen cabinets, a microwave and a coffee pot, there were no dishes or utensils! No paper towels, nothing with which to wash the coffee pot or the 2 mugs they had; not so much as a cork screw in a drawer! The 6th floor restaurant where we went for breakfast was nice, the food was excellent but only open for breakfast until 11 AM. (Too Bad) First night, we went downstairs to the ice cream Shop (Scoops) to get a treat. I wanted a hot fudge sundae. I was immediately told that they had no hot fudge. Disappointing but not a tragedy. WHen I asked if they had chocolate syrup I was told that they did, but they didn't have vanilla ice cream. WHAT??II Who has an ice cream shop with no vanilla ice cream? All bad stuff but I could have gotten over all of these things until the sun went down and we found that we were staying next to the family from hell! Fur or five kids ages 2 to 10 were in the adjoining room with no parental supervision. The parents were apparently in the adjoining room on the opposite side. I was reduced to having to bang on the wall. Next day I informed the front desk and I was assured that they would take care of it which, they did. Overall, the hotel was in bad condition for as new as it is. Lots of shortcuts taken by the builder. For the same money, we've stayed at much nicer places and next time, that is precisely what we'll do.

Room Tip: We love the Princess Royale and the Hilton but for a bargain, try Bonita Beach at 81st Street.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Linda D
Michelle G, Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Firstly, I would like to say thank you for taking the time to write the review and that we do value all feedback from our guests both, positive and negative, as this is the only way to ensure we continue to grow and develop as a property. I apologize that your stay was not satisfactory. While I am glad Security was able to eliminate the noise coming from your neighboring room, I am sorry that the other inconveniences you caused were not avoided. I trust you will accept that the difficulties you experienced are certainly not reflective of our normal standards and on behalf of the Grand Hotel & Spa I apologize that we did not meet your expectations.
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013

I must say I really like this hotel. We did not have any problems. The ocean view was wonderful, the housekeeping did a wonderful job, every day. The staff was very helpful, and I especially liked how they tended to their guests at the outdoor pool. I felt very content with the entire trip. I would recommend this hotel to stay. Also, the pizza restaurant in the bottom was very, very delicious!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for posting such a nice review of our hotel! We hope that the next time you travel to Ocean City you let us provide you with a comfortable stay once again. Enjoy the rest of your summer and we look forward to seeing you!
Havre De Grace
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

This place has no SCREEN doors so don't think you can get fresh air at night or listen to the ocean. Plus restaurant was terrible. The room we were in also could use a good cleaning instead of just surface cleaning. Walls had what looked like ketchup on them behind the trash can area. We also wanted to unplug fridge cause it was making noise and wow! What a mess. Only positive was the hotel was in a good location.

• Stayed September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor. Although we never enjoy hearing that one of our guests had a less than perfect stay, we feel comments such as yours allows us to access where we have opportunities to make improvements. I have brought these issues up with the correct Department Heads so we can start working towards improvement. I am certainly disappointed that your stay was not all that it could have been, and if you wish to return to the Grand Hotel and Spa we would enjoy the opportunity to regain your business.