“The Grand, Ocean City”

Ranked #15 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
“The Grand, Ocean City”
Reviewed September 13, 2013

The hotel is older as most seem to be in OC, but is well kept up. We had an ocean front view and enjoyed the balcony in the morning and evening. The view of the beach was awesome. The pool on the backside was nice too. A great little coffee shop on the 1st floor. We also got the couples massage. A bit pricy for that but both ladies were very good.

Room Tip: Choose the ocean front, why else are you going to the beach
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tom M
Michelle G, Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 15, 2013
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us and other guests on TripAdvisor! We are so happy that you enjoyed with stay and hope to welcome you back the next time you are in Ocean City. Enjoy the rest of your summer and we look forward to seeing you again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (420)
Eagan, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed September 13, 2013

First day...no water. Second and third days...no hot water. Third day they shut down water entirely for 9 hours. Scoops - their ice cream store...stale cones, ice in the ice cream (that happens when it's old). Pizza Joint...SUPER salty pizza. Not good at all.

In the end - I had a terrible experience. I travel a lot for work, and I was put here for a convention, and was miserable, cold and got the worse sleep ever. Pillows were old and smelled. I don't even want to think about who put their head down on that pillow before me.

Oh - and to top it off. Not ONE day was my room serviced!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Deb N
I am so sorry that you did not have an enjoyable stay! Our hot water heater was due to be replaced on Wednesday the 11th and we contacted guests ahead of time to let them know, but we certainly did not expect it to fail before it was supposed to be replaced. We tried to get it back up and running as soon as possible, but I deeply apologize that this even occurred. Please contact me directly so we can discuss this further, I would like to take this opportunity to remedy the situation.
White Marsh, Maryland, United States
Reviewed September 12, 2013

When we entered our room we were blown away by the view! Spectacular! But I booked a full ocean view on a high level, so it certainly did not disappoint. First thing we noticed was that we didn't have a remote for the TV which we went to the front desk and requested immediately. 5 hours later we received a remote . . . FOR THE WRONG TV. Upon unpacking I went to put my coffee that I brought from home into the closet only to discover that, despite having kitchen cabinets, a microwave and a coffee pot, there were no dishes or utensils! No paper towels, nothing with which to wash the coffee pot or the 2 mugs they had; not so much as a cork screw in a drawer! The 6th floor restaurant where we went for breakfast was nice, the food was excellent but only open for breakfast until 11 AM. (Too Bad) First night, we went downstairs to the ice cream Shop (Scoops) to get a treat. I wanted a hot fudge sundae. I was immediately told that they had no hot fudge. Disappointing but not a tragedy. WHen I asked if they had chocolate syrup I was told that they did, but they didn't have vanilla ice cream. WHAT??II Who has an ice cream shop with no vanilla ice cream? All bad stuff but I could have gotten over all of these things until the sun went down and we found that we were staying next to the family from hell! Fur or five kids ages 2 to 10 were in the adjoining room with no parental supervision. The parents were apparently in the adjoining room on the opposite side. I was reduced to having to bang on the wall. Next day I informed the front desk and I was assured that they would take care of it which, they did. Overall, the hotel was in bad condition for as new as it is. Lots of shortcuts taken by the builder. For the same money, we've stayed at much nicer places and next time, that is precisely what we'll do.

Room Tip: We love the Princess Royale and the Hilton but for a bargain, try Bonita Beach at 81st Street.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Linda D
Michelle G, Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Firstly, I would like to say thank you for taking the time to write the review and that we do value all feedback from our guests both, positive and negative, as this is the only way to ensure we continue to grow and develop as a property. I apologize that your stay was not satisfactory. While I am glad Security was able to eliminate the noise coming from your neighboring room, I am sorry that the other inconveniences you caused were not avoided. I trust you will accept that the difficulties you experienced are certainly not reflective of our normal standards and on behalf of the Grand Hotel & Spa I apologize that we did not meet your expectations.
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed September 11, 2013

I must say I really like this hotel. We did not have any problems. The ocean view was wonderful, the housekeeping did a wonderful job, every day. The staff was very helpful, and I especially liked how they tended to their guests at the outdoor pool. I felt very content with the entire trip. I would recommend this hotel to stay. Also, the pizza restaurant in the bottom was very, very delicious!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for posting such a nice review of our hotel! We hope that the next time you travel to Ocean City you let us provide you with a comfortable stay once again. Enjoy the rest of your summer and we look forward to seeing you!
Havre De Grace
Reviewed September 8, 2013

This place has no SCREEN doors so don't think you can get fresh air at night or listen to the ocean. Plus restaurant was terrible. The room we were in also could use a good cleaning instead of just surface cleaning. Walls had what looked like ketchup on them behind the trash can area. We also wanted to unplug fridge cause it was making noise and wow! What a mess. Only positive was the hotel was in a good location.

• Stayed September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor. Although we never enjoy hearing that one of our guests had a less than perfect stay, we feel comments such as yours allows us to access where we have opportunities to make improvements. I have brought these issues up with the correct Department Heads so we can start working towards improvement. I am certainly disappointed that your stay was not all that it could have been, and if you wish to return to the Grand Hotel and Spa we would enjoy the opportunity to regain your business.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed September 7, 2013

I paid for an ocean view room, they tried to give me the worst room ever. They have partial ocean view, ocean view and ocean front. Went with friends, and they purchased the same room as myself, but received great views without having to complain at the front desk.

Sure they are friendly but not really willing to provide any kind of service. So they changed my room to the room that I had paid for with an ocean view.

Location is good. Gym is whatever, better than nothing I guess if you want to work out in a closet.

Sheets and towels had stains, my friends also noticed this. There is an invention called bleach that has seemed to escape them.

Other than that room is old not horrible, Beds old, not uncomfortable, not luxury,.. Pillows pretty old, and old.

Tv had a good selection of channels, but the screen would freeze sometimes.

Room has a fridge and microwave. Elevators quick considering size of hotel. Pizza place downstairs had good food. Coffee shop served cardboard tasting coffee for 2.50, more expensive than Starbucks.

No screen on balcony door.

Ocean and beach make up for the rest.

If you like hot showers , it didn't happen for me. Warm at best, and cold water in sink. When I mentioned this to the front desk they didn't seem to hear me.. Also no late checkouts.

Division between rooms on the balcony a little weird, really anyone could break into your room if they wanted to.

With all the downsides, depending on how much you pay per night is how annoyed you will be with expecting anything more than somewhere to sleep to the sound of the waves.

Room Tip: ocean view or ocean front
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank mariet44
Michelle G, Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor. I apologize that you didn't enjoy anything during your vacation here at the hotel except for the location. Although we never enjoy hearing that one of our guests had a less than perfect stay, we feel comments such as yours allows us to access where we have opportunities to make improvements. I trust you will accept that the difficulties you experienced are certainly not reflective of our normal standards, and I hope despite your frustrations, you will give us another chance to make it up to you on your next trip to Ocean City.
Maryland
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Although the location is right on the boardwalk, I will not stay here again. Hotel needs better upkeep and restaurant selections. I had OF room, but sliding glass door was difficult to open and not transparent. There are better hotels in the same price range.

Room Tip: Although hotel is supposed to be smoke free, check your room before checking in.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
I apologize for the inconveniences you caused and I am disappointed to hear that your stay was not satisfactory. I wish you would have given us the opportunity to make things more comfortable for you. We are aware of the upkeep the hotel is in need of and we are renovating in our off-season; one being, the sliding glass doors. While we can not control who smokes in the room besides giving them a warning, we do charge them a smoking fee of $150 because we know how much of an inconvenience it is for the non-smokers. If you decide you would like to put your trust in us again to make things right, please do not hesitate to contact me directly the next time you are staying in Ocean City. Again, please accept my sincere apologies and I hope you enjoy the rest of your summer.