“Better than expected”
Review of Grand Hotel & Spa

Grand Hotel & Spa
Ranked #14 of 104 Hotels in Ocean City
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights in July. This was our first time in Ocean City and had a very hard time finding a nice room at a low cost. The Grand Hotel was the least expensive hotel that I could find that didn't look like a dump. I was not expecting a lot out of any hotel on the Ocean City Boardwalk after reading horror reviews of them, but was pleasantly surprised with the Grand Hotel. Check in was easy and our room was ready 2 hours ahead of schedule. I booked the least expensive room and didn't expect any kind of ocean view. All of the rooms at the Grand have at least a partial ocean view which was nice. The room was large and very clean. There was a nice balcony and view, but the balcony was not very private. There was a piece of cloth hanging on the railing so you couldn't see over to the neighbors balcony. The beds weren't the most comfortable hotel beds we have been in but they weren't uncomfortable. The room had a new flat screen tv, a safe and plenty of storage. The furniture and carpets in the room were very old and out dated. Some of the drawers in the dresser and the desk were broken, but it was not a big deal for us. The pool area was nice with plenty of chairs. They do offer lounge chair covers and towels at the pool which is very convenient. The food at the pool bar was just ok and it was very expensive, but we were expecting expensive food too. The location on the boardwalk was great, it was down on the quiet end of the boardwalk but an easy walk up to where all the action is. One thing that would of been nice would of been an outside shower or foot wash at the boardwalk entrance of the hotel. You had to walk around to the side of the building by the parking garage to wash the sand off of you. We only found that out because we asked. All in all it was a good stay for one of the less expensive hotels on the boardwalk. We paid $269 per night while our friends were 4 blocks down at the Quality Inn and paid $350 and our room was nicer.

2  Thank Tivoqueen18

Reviewed July 21, 2013

The room was bright airy and clean ,,,this was a last minute reservation with no prior reference .so we took a shot and hit the jackpot!! The Grand definitely exceeded our expectations!! This after checking out after staying one night at one of the better named hotels because of deplorable conditions the Grand salvaged our vacation with pleasurable amenities and made Ocean City fun for the whole family and a place I would highly recommend!!!

2  Thank metsfan2000
Reviewed July 15, 2013

This is our second year staying at the Grand. We always stayed at Princess Royale but as my daughter is getting older she wanted to be closer to the boardwalk and wanted an outdoor pool. By luck we found the Grand and couldn't be happier. Upon check in the staff was gracious and accommodating. We were able to check in right away. We checked our room thoroughly and found it to be exactly what I expected. No bells or whistles but it was clean, spacious and free of rodents. Unless you were staying in your home what more could you ask for. I found that when we put the "service sign" on the door housekeeping cleaned the room before lunch. We were given fresh towels, toiletries and empty trash cans every day and the room was clean. We called the front desk three times during our stay and the staff acted almost immediately. The coffee pot was cracked upon arrival and we were given a brand new coffee maker/pot, the power went out during the night and came back on by early morning and the air conditioning did not so we called the front desk and was told that it would be just minutes as they had to reset the system, and the toilet clogged once and a man came to the room with a bucket and plunger and took care of it. I was impressed with the staff. We had rain for 2 out of 5 days on our trip but the hotel indoor pool was a time waster and my daughter and husband even got in the outdoor pool during a down pour which they are still talking about. Cannot wait until next summer to do it again!!!!

Room Tip: Corner rooms are much smaller.
3  Thank Donna H
Reviewed July 12, 2013

on the evening of July 7th we waited 20 minutes for order only to find out they didn't have one of the items after everything was paid for. used credit card, and workers didn't know how to credit our account for item they didn't have. compensated by giving us onion rings that were not fit for consumption. person who we thought was in charge was not in charge and no manager was on site. called the next day and were told the manager was not available.

1  Thank marian l
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Stayed at Grand from July 8-10. The experience was great and satisfactory! To begin with, I got a call from their Customer Service on our way to MD for a complimentary offer to the King Jacuzzi suite which has the flat screen TV I had earlier requested. It was a thoughtful and accommodating gesture on their part. However I had to decline the offer because I heard the top floors were hot and muggy. When we got there, I registered early, got my parking permits at 11 am, and even got another permit for my daughter's car who was only visiting for the day. I was told I'd get a call when our room was ready. True enough, I got a call at around 1:25 pm (even if check-in is not til 4p) that our room was ready for occupancy. Our room was comfortably cold, and clean. Towels smelled sanitized and bathroom really clean. The beds could use some upgrading, but it was the last to get noticed since we had a really roomy, cold, room. When we checked the outside pool, the customer service person (young curly haired male) offered to cover the seats for us. How nice and thoughtful! The lobby was almost always surprisingly clean considering sandy feet that came in and out of the double entrance doors. Love that coffee shop was open 24 hours! Loved the stores on the 1st floor. Loved the location --right on the boardwalk and to the beach! It was also on the quiet side of the boardwalk which I loved the most, and the tram was right there when we decided to go boardwalking. Upon check out, I asked the front desk if we were allowed to use the shower rooms on the second floor if we decided to still soak in the beach, and she courteously said, 'absolutely!". Also we were allowed to park for the day even after our check out time of 11 am.

May I also bring to the attention of management that the shower knob in the men's bathroom on the 2nd floor is broken so my husband was not able to shower :-/

Generally, our stay was pleasant, and even if I had to pay more, it was worth the few extra dollars because of comfort, and great customer service! I will go back at Grand in a heartbeat. I hope that soon, flat screen TV's will also be provided for the lower floors. Thank you for a wonderful vacation!

4  Thank sonicNj
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Value good for ocean front/ boardwalk hotel. 24 hr coffee shop was nice for convenience. Did not try bar/ restaurant. In room kitchenette was a nice bonus. Bathroom was tight but manageable. Pool area very nice.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank love2travel112
Reviewed July 8, 2013

This hotel was nice, though not spectacular. We did not get to the Spa, so I can't comment on it. The room was average size but had a nice ocean view. There was construction going on, but the disturbance was kept to a minimum. One note: The restaurant was TERRIBLE: both food AND service. Avoid it and eat at one of the millions of OCMD restaurants.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business