“Unprofessional”

Grand Hotel & Spa
Ranked #17 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
“Unprofessional”
Reviewed June 20, 2013

I prechecked in. After waiting 3 hours for a call I called they said sure it it ready. Room service. Called 4 times no answer. Called front desk. They said ill connect you. No answer. Front desk finally walked there and told them to answer. And the man was so unprofessional. When he called back to tell me all the things on the limited menu they were out of. We decided on alternatives. And went through the whole ordeal again of no one answering their phone. I ordered a glass of oj and tomato juice. They brought a pitcher if each and charged me. They Forgot the milk. I sent him to bring salt and pepper then realized there was no butter for pancakes. Or jelly for toast. When he delivers the order he stepped in the door. Plate by plate slid it on the counter. Removed the silver warming lids and there was no tray to set it out in the hall. Food was cold and nasty

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Beachgullva

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (411)
Morgantown
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I am only able to give this hotel a 2 out of 5 due to construction (and a few noted other things) at the hotel during the time of our stay. The hotel, pool, poolside bar, and staff were very nice. Our 12th floor room was also nice and updated. I loved that the hotel and balconies were 100% smoke free. Unfortunately, the walls were very thin. You can easily hear doors opening and closing as well as the Jacuzzi tub running in the room beside us.
Prior to leaving for vacation (5 days to be exact - note that I had the room reserved since March 20) I received an e-mail stating that there would be construction on the roof of the hotel during our stay. Management advised that this would only disturb the 11 and 12 floor (we were on the 12th floor). The e-mail also stated that they were unaware of the exact dates the hotel was going to be under construction and the construction would only occur during the hours of 9-5 Monday through Friday NO CONSTRUCTION WOULD BE DONE ON SATURDAYS AND SUNDAYS. After speaking with hotel staff about the e-mail I decided to keep my reservation due to the hours of construction. I do no go on vacation to be in the room so this would not affect my stay. We were woken up the first morning of our stay with construction at 7:50am - not the promised 9am. The next morning (a Friday) it was raining so it appeared construction crews were not working. At this point I assume we were past worrying about being woken up due to construction because it was the weekend. WRONG!! Saturday morning at 7AM! YES! 7AM! We were woken up once again by hammering/pounding on the roof. Now, remember my previous statement about the email? Yes, per e-mail from MANAGEMENT NO CONSTRUCTION WOULD OCCUR ON SATURDAYS OR SUNDAYS. I called the front desk and the response I received was "well they will be finished at 3" Seriously??! Well, I will not be in my room at 3pm! But at 7AM yes! We were denied a discount due to construction prior to our visit (manager said they would not give a discount because we were notified of the construction - again, who cares if it was only 5 days prior to arrival) and we did not even receive a discount for the construction on Saturday (my argument is we were not notified of construction on Saturday - per previous reason for no discount was we were notified - yes, notified for construction MONDAY THROUGH FRIDAY)! We did not get an apology from management or anything. I thought this was absolutely unacceptable. It appears that due to rain on Friday the hotel would rather save money than have the construction crew be paid for extending their contract. Who cares about the hotel guests, right? The situation was handled very poorly by management.

Room Tip: 12th floor view is amazing!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sk_246_13

Travelers are raving about these Ocean City hotels

Hollywood, Maryland
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I knew from reading previous reviews that the décor was probably going to be outdated, and that it would probably be pretty noisy, and both were true. That wasn't a huge problem for us, because we can sleep through pretty much anything. I actually couldn't hear a lot of noise from the other room until someone opened their sliding glass door to their balcony. It sounded a lot like thunder. Once you got used to the sound and knew what it was, though, it was fine. You could also hear anything that was happening on the balcony. The room itself was fine. It was big and the balcony was HUGE. It was a shame that they didn't have tables out there. We only had 2 plastic chairs. The problem with the balcony was that the wind blew other people's junk onto your balcony, so it looked as if they didn't clean it, but I think that they did. Since the balconies are connected with only a burlap separator, things can migrate from one balcony to another. The staff was always friendly, and the front desk staff was really great, but I found them to be poorly or inconsistently trained. For example, when our room was cleaned, they would forget to restock the plastic cups, and the tray behind the toilet paper holder had about 7 years of grime on It, little details like that. We ate at the restaurant, and the creamer curdled in our coffee. The waiter got us more, but I truly don't think he realized that it needed to be refrigerated. It took him 3 tries to get us some from the fridge that didn't curdle. He was nice about it, though. We went to the pool on Sunday and it was all set up with these gorgeous towels on the chairs, with little pillow towels. It was NICE! We went back the next day and there were tiny little white towels and the chair had bird poop on it. Despite the inconsistency, the location was great, and we had a fantastic view, though our window on our glass door was fogged up. We would have booked again if not for what happened Sunday night.

At about 2 AM on Sunday night, the fire alarm went off. This was extremely and outrageously frightening for our two children, ages 5 and 7. We had to get up and evacuate of course. We were out of our room for about an hour, during which time I did not see a single employee of the Grand Hotel. There was no one to tell anyone what was going on, no one to pass out blankets to the freezing children in the night, no one to consult at all. When we checked out the next day, the front desk asked how our stay was. We told them it was fine until last night. The front desk told us that someone had come into the men's restroom the night before, vandalized it, and ripped the fire alarm off the wall. They apologized, but did not offer us any compensation. This was extremely frightening to me! The Grand is right on the boardwalk, and there is no key card required to enter the hotel. I assumed that at night security was monitoring the comings and goings of the guests. Anyone off the street could come in, and if they can vandalize a first floor bathroom, where people are likely to be, they could easily get onto the sleeping floors and do horrible things to young girls who stay in Ocean City. Knowing that's what happened, I would never stay here again.

1 Thank Beachcomber72
NORTH AUGUSTA SC
Reviewed June 17, 2013

After viewing the Grand Hotel, we decided to change hotels from the Flagship Hotel to the Grand Hotel...What a difference. The staff at Grand is so very much more professional. The room was so much larger and the view was miraculous! We will be coming back to the Grand.....

Room Tip: Ocean Front was the best and only $20 additional from Ocean View.... great size room and plenty of s...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank JCJ02
SGP
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Stayed for a night and it was great. It has direct access to the beach. Room was big and clean. Not luxury, but good resort type kind of room. It wasn't carpeted, so it might be to cold or winter.
There are few shops at hotel premises. Overall we had good experience there.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank chummyyummy
Maryland Heights, Missouri
Reviewed June 14, 2013

they renew the place , i read bad review about the place but it was good price and location for me ,but i surprised the was clean and new location is amazing , friendly stuff , provide coffee and tea, clean place also it's busy hotel, The rooms all have a nice size balcony that face ocean or bayside, They easily parked in the three story garage next to the hotel.

Room Tip: ocean front room
2 Thank Nesreen H
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Let me start off by saying I am a completely non high maintenance person! i do not expect much when i come to hotels and little things do not bother me.
We have just returned from the Grand Hotel and Spa for a weekend of lacrosse for my son. Upon check in the "manager" was completely and utterly obnoxious. She was of zero help. The person who booked our rooms asked for an early check in and I had called the night before to confirm our complimentary early check in since my kids wanted to get a head start on our trip! I was told as was the woman who booked the rooms that it would not be a problem and i would be guaranteed an early check in. we had been driving from far away and the ride was long and i wanted to be sure the room would be ready when we got there. upon arriving, they told me that i would need to pay $40 charge to check in early!!! WHAT! i had just called not even 10 hours prior and there was no mention of a $40 charge instead they scammed me into coming early saying the room was going to be ready and then when i get there its a different story. The "manager" proceeeded to ask me who i spoke to...which i knew exactly who i spoke to and told her...but that didnt matter to this so called "manager" so i am not even sure why she asked the question. When you run an establishment and you tell a customer something you need to follow through and make it right especially when i blantantly knew who i spoke to her and told her and gave her the womans name... not tell them there is nothing they will do or can do. To make matters even worse she told me rooms were ready but i would not be able to get into one until i paid the money! if they had messed up that is not my problem. If they had told me upfront before i left my house about the charge i would not have cared, i would have made my decision to come early or not but instead thats what they did to us when we arrive! so not cool! Usually hotels want to make the customers happy but in this case that didnt happen. As i stood at the front desk i heard them do the same thing to about 5 other people so they have a nice scam going on. To them they rectified the situation by giving me a room but it would not be the room that was booked with my team because i wanted it right at that moment. so instead i stared at the boiler instead of the side ocean view booked. so for their mistake i was being punished but they were giving me a room so i should be happy and at that point i would have taken anything since they were so unhelpful and rude in the situation at the time. we get to the room on the 2nd floor. after being in the room for 15 mins. the banging and screwing of construction starts. it goes on for 2 hours until i cant take it any longer and need to again go down to this horrid front desk and tell them to move my room again! They then proceed to move us to the 6th floor again with a terrible view. After all this nonsense and im not even there a day you think they would have made an extra effort to do the right thing for us....NOT! To really add to the misery of this hotel....my car got a nail in the tire from the construction work they were doing in the front of the hotel... i dont know what they are doing in this hotel as far as construction because its out dated and we had a 27 inch tube TV in our room! to make matters that much worse, sunday morning we wake up to go to the lobby to find blood all over a rocking chair and police forensics as well as numbered cones there and the place full of police tape and police officer and fire fighters. No phone call to the room to tell of the situation that had happened in the lobby or whereever it happened. were not even sure if someone was shot stabbed killed etc. as they did not want to divuldge what had happened to the people staying in their hotel. it was a lovely way for my 10 year old to start his day! he is completely traumatized and actually so am i and the rest of my family! i never have written a review in my entire life but this hotel definitely warrants one because they literally have the worst customer service i have seen in my whole life. I will never stay here again and you shouldnt either. find a better place with better customer service who does the right thing and cares about their customers. for the over $225 a night price of this hotel we should have been treated alot better and gone elsewhere where they care about their customers! This hotel doesnt even deserve a star as far as i am concerned!

4 Thank Kimberly M