“Our Fall Getaway”
Review of Grand Hotel & Spa

Grand Hotel & Spa
Ranked #15 of 104 Hotels in Ocean City
Reviewed November 8, 2012

We always stay at the Grand during the summer and always have a great vacation.We went for a couple of days during the off season and had a nice time, The staff was friendly,the room clean.It was a nice mini vacation.

Room Tip: we like to stay on the 9th floor.ocean front.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank albarnard
Matthew B, Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2012

I'm overjoyed we could provide you with an ideal getaway and thank you for your loyalty to the Grand Hotel and Spa. We only hope we can continue to be part of a tradition in your travels to the area for many years to come. All of your kind words are greatly appreciated.

There are newer reviews for Grand Hotel & Spa

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Having stayed in some grand hotels with spas I’d have to say this is not one of them. That said this is Ocean City (OC) MD not New York or Las Vegas. For OC this is a good hotel located on the far end of the boardwalk (21st street &BW). The views from the upper floors are super. The balconies are separated with partitions but are not private. The positives are parking, ocean views, microwave, coffee pot, refrigerator, clean room, larger than average size room. The restaurant, bar and coffee shop are accessible inside the hotel. The negatives are mattresses are too soft; bathroom is too small (you can’t close the door while someone is on the toilet), carpet’s too dark making the room too dark. I prefer tile in a beach hotel but for some reason the hotels in OC seem to all have carpet. The hotel lobby and front are in need of a makeover. Overall this is a good place to stay for most people for me the soft mattress are an issue. If you don’t mind the soft mattresses then I would recommend this hotel, having a kitchenette is defiantly a bonus for OC.

Room Tip: upper floors have the best views
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jack0906

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback. You are correct pertaining to your statement that we are not a resort property in New York or Las Vegas. We are a family oriented oceanfront resort style hotel. Our goal is to simply provide the cleanest room and friendliest staff you will find In Ocean City.

I am glad to hear overall you enjoyed your stay and your comments have been reviewed with our entire management team. However I would like to explain the reason the bathrooms are so small is basically due to the fact the room is so large. We actually offer some of the largest guest rooms you will find in the area, but unfortunately since more square footage was allocated to the "living space" for this reason during the design, the bathrooms were made a little smaller than you will traditionally find elsewhere.

We are also constantly updating the hotel every year, but unfortunately all of these projects cannot be completed at once. New flat screen televisions were just recently installed in our premium room types, updates to our wi-fi network were done, the decor of our elevators and some of our elevator landings were updated. These are just a few examples of the updates we have completed just this year.

I hope you will still choose to make us your choice hotel when visiting Ocean City, MD because we would love to become part of a tradition in your travels. Thank you once again for your feedback and business, it is truly appreciated.

Reviewed October 27, 2012

Nice hotel for the price. They had a indoor and outdoor pool. Both clean. There was a bar by the outside pool which was very nice. The room was a decent size but the bathroom was petty little, there was also a dead bug in our room, but other then that the room itself was clean. It was nice that they let us stay one night on a weekend and most hotels do not let you do that. Hotel was right on the beach. It was far up from the board walk but if you love to walk you could walk down to the rides and shops. I would go back. The imployees were very nice and friendly. They called us when are room was ready because we got there before check in. There was also a bar in the hotel and they have darts and a pool table. I did wish that had breakfast. They do have a cafe bar in the bottom of the hotel. Decent coffee not best ever.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank mallybusch
Matthew B, Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2012

I'm glad to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay with us! We are happy that you were able to enjoy all of the great amenities the Grand Hotel and Spa has to offer.

I hope you will make us your choice hotel for all of your future getaways to Ocean City, MD because we would love to have you back again for many years to come. Thank you for all of your kind words and we truly appreciate your feedback.

Yours in Hospitality,

Reviewed October 26, 2012

The bad: bed bugs. My kid's room was on the 11th floor. They took a nap and woke to bed bugs. Daughter was bitten. Both queen beds had bed bugs. Uncomfortable beds and hard pillows. Expensive rooms.

The good: management was apologetic and changed our rooms immediately taking this very seriously. We received 25% off, for financial compensation. No problems with the other rooms. High shower head for tall folks, great water pressure, nice staff. Coffee in room. Great view of ocean. On the boardwalk. Shops in lobby. 24/7 cafe. Easy access and garage parking. Roomy balcony.

Room Tip: For cooler weather, the south side high up will give you a great view and block the wind.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank 1Kplaces2See

Once again I would like to offer my sincere apologies for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay. Unfortunately in today's times this type of situation has become more widespread in busy destination or corporate hotels due to the increasing number of guests traveling from many different areas of the country and world. This fact along with the high number of guests that check-in and out everyday has contributed to this issue.

After a very thorough inspection of your room by our management team and professionals, traces of bed bugs were discovered. It was determined that they were just recently introduced to that particular room and most likely brought into the hotel by the previous guest. They were not prevalent and we were not notified of any issues until the date of your stay. The Grand Hotel and Spa takes these types of issues very seriously and the situation was addressed and corrected immediately, a follow up inspection has also been completed as well. I am pleased that you were satisfied with the fashion in which the situation was handled.

I hope you will not let this isolated incident detour you from staying with us in the future. Please feel free to contact me directly if you would like to discuss this matter further. We hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

I just called because we need to find a dog friendly hotel for a night we are there on business. Bare in mind, it is off-season, and I was on hold for almost ten minutes. When the rep finally took my call, she was unfriendly and almost downright rude. She informed me they are NOT dog friendly.....they do this off-season for their "regulars" but that she could offer me a 2nd floor side view room IF my dog weighed less than 15 lbs! Um, most cats weigh more than that, LOL. Buyer beware.....

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
GrandManager, General Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2012

Please accept my sincere apologies if my reservation agent was unfriendly to you, providing great service is very important to us and this is certainly not the norm. If you can reply to me here at the hotel with the time and date of your call I will be able to determine who the agent was for coaching purposes.

We have only recently started accepting pets here at the Grand. Because we are testing the waters on this we are only accepting small dogs, and only on the second floor of the hotel, since we also ask that dogs do not enter our guest elevators in case there are any other guests who may have an allergy. This makes using the stairs easier. Due to our high occupancy and higher rates during the summer months we do not accept pets during this time.

I'm sorry that we could not accommodate your pet and any frustration that may have caused you.

Sincere regards,
Patrick Staib

Reviewed October 23, 2012

Just returned from our annual golf trip to OC. We have been doing this trip for some 15 years and most times I have booked The Grand , even though its more costly then most of the hotels that Pams Golf offers. We liked it because of its nice rooms..proximity to restaurrants..boardwalk ..and closeness to the golf courses. I have also stayed here a number of times with my wife for some spring and fall vacations also. Well this will be our last stay. Rooms are worn and not clean at all. The bathroom and shower were covered in hair from the previous guests. Floor hadnt been vacuumed and the sliding glass door was filthy besides being almost impossible to open. Bathroom wall paper was peeling off and there was mold. TV was probably 15 years old and in desperate need of updating.Very very disappointed and will be on the search for a new place to stay for our golf and my personal trips to OC.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank ED L
Matthew B, Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2012

I am very sorry to hear that you are considering making this your last stay with us. I offer my sincere apologies for all of the inconveniences you experienced during your most recent stay with us. The poor cleanliness and condition of your room is not the normal standards of quality and service that we hold ourselves to at the Grand Hotel and Spa. We are sorry that we have failed you on this trip.

The Director of Housekeeping has been made aware of all of these issues, so they can be addressed immediately. We are beginning to "deep clean" our rooms on top of the normal cleaning that is performed now that we are in the off season. We have also recently purchased and installed flat screen TVs in a majority of our premium room types and will hopefully be purchasing more in the near future. Other minor renovations and upgrades are taking place as well to improve the overall experience for our guests.

Again I hope you will not let this detour you from continuing your long tradition with the Grand Hotel and Spa. You had a lot of great memories here and we would hate to see them stop. Please feel free to contact me directly if you would like to discuss this matter further. Thank you for providing us with your feedback and we truly appreciate your loyalty to the Grand Hotel and Spa.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

Is the hotel showing its age? Yes. Are there upgrades and updates that the hotel probably needs to undergo? Yes. Are the negative reviews justified? Maybe not. The biggest thing you can do to have a very nice stay at the Grand is temper your expectations. This is Ocean City for Chrissake. It's not a ritzy, cosmopolitain resort destination. It's the redneck riviera and the Grand is one of the nicer hotels on the beach. The views are breathtaking- both of the Ocean as well as the Bay and beyond. The rooms are fine, the beds are fine, the bathrooms are clean and the fact that there is a fridge and microwave is bonus. The shops in the lobby are more than adequate and the restautrant views are very nice. The management team at the hotel was responsive and accomodating. Parking is ample with the parking deck across the street, and the fact that you are on the boardwalk steps from your room cannot be discounted. I walked in with trepidation, but walked out wanting people to realize that this place gives you everything you would want from a beachside resort.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank godzuki24

Thank you for providing us with your very fair and understanding feedback. We have not and never will claim to the be the Ritz Carlton. We are a family oriented oceanfront resort style hotel. Our goal is to simply provide the cleanest room and friendliest staff you will find In Ocean City.

I am pleased to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay, especially coming from such a seasoned traveler as yourself. I hope you will choose to make the Grand Hotel and Spa your choice destination for your next visit and many getaways to come. Again we truly appreciate your feedback and thank you for all of your kind words.