“Location, location, location”
Review of Grand Hotel & Spa

Grand Hotel & Spa
Ranked #14 of 104 Hotels in Ocean City
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Is the hotel showing its age? Yes. Are there upgrades and updates that the hotel probably needs to undergo? Yes. Are the negative reviews justified? Maybe not. The biggest thing you can do to have a very nice stay at the Grand is temper your expectations. This is Ocean City for Chrissake. It's not a ritzy, cosmopolitain resort destination. It's the redneck riviera and the Grand is one of the nicer hotels on the beach. The views are breathtaking- both of the Ocean as well as the Bay and beyond. The rooms are fine, the beds are fine, the bathrooms are clean and the fact that there is a fridge and microwave is bonus. The shops in the lobby are more than adequate and the restautrant views are very nice. The management team at the hotel was responsive and accomodating. Parking is ample with the parking deck across the street, and the fact that you are on the boardwalk steps from your room cannot be discounted. I walked in with trepidation, but walked out wanting people to realize that this place gives you everything you would want from a beachside resort.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank godzuki24
Matthew B, Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2012

Thank you for providing us with your very fair and understanding feedback. We have not and never will claim to the be the Ritz Carlton. We are a family oriented oceanfront resort style hotel. Our goal is to simply provide the cleanest room and friendliest staff you will find In Ocean City.

I am pleased to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay, especially coming from such a seasoned traveler as yourself. I hope you will choose to make the Grand Hotel and Spa your choice destination for your next visit and many getaways to come. Again we truly appreciate your feedback and thank you for all of your kind words.

Assistant General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (3,711)

Reviewed October 23, 2012

Had a wonderful weekend at the Grand Hotel in Ocean City, MD. We really enjoyed the royal treatment with the Romance Package in our Ocean Front Jacuzzi King Room which included champagne and rose petals. The check-in staff were very nice and we felt the extra money we spent for this room-hubby's 60th birthday- was well worth it. We also enjoyed the hotel bar in the evening. The room was very clean and the view was great! The weather was so warm for October that I was able to enjoy reading on the balcony and watching the people on the Boardwalk and Beach. We will be back for St. Patrick's Weekend!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

I am overjoyed that you and your husband had a relaxing and enjoyable stay. We feel honored that you chose to make us part of such a special occasion! We only hope that we can continue to be part of similar traditions for many years to come.

Thank you for all of your kind words and we truly look forward to seeing you again over St. Patrick's Day!

Reviewed October 22, 2012

I stayed at the hotel last week and enjoyed my stay. It was very nice to get up in the morning and see the sunset and enjoy my coffee on the balcony without inhaling someone's smoke. Although, a gentleman a couple of rooms/balconies down from me did not get the memo that this is a non-smoking hotel. I just asked him not to smoke and that was that. I would recommend this hotel, but like other reviews, I would also suggest you take your own pillow(s) as the bed and pillows are not very comfortable, quite hard and pillows very flat, this is the reason I gave 4 stars and not 5. The java coffee shop was a blessing as you basically just had to roll out of bed and get your coffee, tea, pastries etc. without going far. Matt Brown seems to do whatever he can to make the guests as comfortable as possible. They let me check in early which was appreciated. I would stay again...but please invest in new beds and pillows!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Patty A
Reviewed October 16, 2012

restaurant was closed for a private convention and we were not told when we checked in. The hotel told us that we had a room with two queen size beds, they were not queen size, they were full sized. Also, called hotel.com prior to booking to see if hotel had a hot tub they told us they did, however the hotel did not have one, only in certain rooms

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Terri M
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Had a great Weekend stay, Clean comfortable hotel. I loved the coffee shop in the lobby. great place to spend a fall weekend. The was a Corvette convention in town, and the parade up the boardwalk was an added thrill. I will stay here again next fall when I return to Ocean City.

Room Tip: Beautiful views of the ocean.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Wlbyrd

Thank you for taking your valued time to provide us with your feedback. We truly appreciate your kind words and look forward to seeing you again next fall!

Reviewed October 15, 2012

We had great service at the front desk and the fact we could bring our dog was a huge plus. However, we had fruit flies in our room all around the kitchenette sink and a lot of dust under the bathroom sink (it covered our black dog) and the floor was dirty - not just sand we tracked in. It was a great location and was perfect for our last minute weekend getaway with the dog for one night. I can't say I would stay there much longer than that...

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Luluphoell
Matthew B, Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2012

I would like to apologize for the lack of cleanliness you received in your room. I have already made the Director of Housekeeping aware of this issue and she will address it with her staff appropriately. I am just disappointed that what sounds like could have been a great stay turned into a mediocre experience because we dropped the ball.

I hope you allow us another opportunity to win back your trust and prove our commitment to providing the cleanest accommodations you will find in Ocean City. Please do not let this isolated incident detour you from staying with us in the future because I can guarantee your next stay with us will prove why we are Ocean City's premier hotel on the boardwalk. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

I stayed here for a convention during the off-season. My room had a beautiful ocean view but the furniture, bedding, carpets and my entire room needed a thorough cleaning and updating. The room size is quite large and the fridge and microwave are a really great addition but you can't hide poor cleanliness and tired furnishings. They might want to try cleaning the dust ruffles every now and then. Mine were dirty and had caked on mess. The corners of the rooms and bathrooms were filthy.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Rob S
Matthew B, Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2012

I am disappointed to hear that you had a less than pleasurable stay due to cleanliness issues because one of the factors our guests usually rave about is the superior cleanliness of their room. I have already made the Director of Housekeeping aware of the issues you experienced, so it can be addressed appropriately with her staff and be used as an additional training tool.

I understand and empathize with you concerning the overall condition of your room and we will be completing "deep cleaning" procedures very shortly now that we are in our off season, on top of the normal cleaning procedures we follow on a daily basis. We are also doing some updating to our rooms and hope you will not let this isolated incident keep you from coming back to visit us to bear witness to it.

Again I would like to apologize for the fact that we have failed you. I hope you will allow us another opportunity to prove why the Grand Hotel and Spa is Ocean City, MD's premier hotel on the boardwalk. Thank you for providing us with your valuable feedback.