“Hotel With Everything”
Review of Grand Hotel & Spa

Grand Hotel & Spa
Ranked #14 of 104 Hotels in Ocean City
Reviewed July 30, 2012

We had so much fun. This hotel has all the amenities you could possibly want. Perfect location on the boardwalk. We walked it every day. Check out the 12th floor jacuzzi rooms. We will be going back again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Vicki R
Write a ReviewReviews (3,710)

Reviewed July 30, 2012

I had to take time to review the Grand because I am reading some of these negative reviews and experiences and I don't want these few isolated incidents to bring down their rating and deter guests from staying here! The Grand is a fantastic hotel in a fantastic location. We have been traveling to OC for over 12 years and have tried other hotels, but we have chosen to stay here for the past 6 years for good reason. Nothing beats the Grand.

The room at the Grand is very large. The beds are comfortable and the floors are quiet (no door slams, loud neighbors). The views can't be beat. The "premiere" view and "oceanfront" rooms are obviously the best, but the design of the hotel lets you have at least an ocean view from any room. We have been requesting the same room for the past few years, and the staff at the Grand has been more than accommodating for us. We actually feel like "important" and "valued guests" at the Grand. Hotels are so commercialized these days, you feel like they just want you in and out so they can make another dollar. We never feel this way here. And, for a resort area, the prices are reasonable!

The Grand is situated on the boardwalk just far enough away from the chaos and noise. It is about a 25-30 minute walk to the inlet. You can also easily pick up the boardwalk train from right outside the door. The beach in front of the hotel is crowded, but you can easily find a spot to relax. There are surf shops, a pizza place, and a coffee shop right downstairs. There are also restaurants, mini golf, shopping, and more within a reasonable walk on Baltimore Ave. and the Coastal Highway. The pools at the hotel are small and crowded, but nice. There is a pool bar and a small arcade, too.

The only complaint I have with the Grand is trying to obtain a luggage cart on Saturdays/Sundays! You swear you were trying to get the last sale toy on black Friday!! People are vicious in that lobby! There probably are a good 15-20 carts available, but people are usually using them all. People stand around and wait for some to free up and grab them when they do. One year, people were actually walking to people's cars to ask them to use the carts when they were finished. It was a free-for-all. I'm not forward (and didn't want to be a pest) so I waited, and waited, and waited. Eventually, I gave up and we just lugged our belongings down in 2 trips without a cart. Maybe you can organize some kind of waiting list for carts? I think you had something like this last year, but people were still out there trying to snatch them before your staff could give them to the next patiently waiting guest. Although annoying, this is not a deal-breaker. Just thought you would like some constructive feedback and suggestions - hopefully you can make that process more organized.

Overall, I would recommended the Grand to anyone staying in OC. You won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Oceanfront rooms seem slightly larger.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Orange2Traveler
Matthew B, Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your extensive feedback. I'm overjoyed to hear that you feel "important" like a "valued guest" when you stay with us because we truly appreciate your loyalty over the years to the Grand Hotel and Spa.

I would like to inform you that your suggestion regarding the cart situation has been heard and answered. In addition to the numerous carts we already have on property, a purchase was recently made to obtain three more carts to make every guests' stay even more pleasurable and enjoyable.

Once again thank you for all of your king words regarding our hotel and we cannot wait to continue being part of a tradition in your travels to Ocean City, MD!

Reviewed July 29, 2012

This is a very clean family oriented hotel, with great services, and locations to everything. I highly recommend this hotel for your next stay weather it's with your family or just as a couple to get away to enjoy the spa, bar, or just to spend time on the beach...

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank ascorpio1031
Reviewed July 28, 2012 via mobile

This hotel has a great location and the way its shaped we got a room with views of both ocean and bayside. There is a cute tiki bar at the pool, but they don't offer pool side service which would make it better. They have alot of amenties in this hotel including a pizza place which is open until midnight and a 24hr cafe. We would def recommend this hotel to others and would come back again!

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank mpierry
Matthew B, Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2012

Thank you for all of your kind words regarding everything from the spectacular view in your room to all of the amenities the Grand Hotel and Spa has to offer. We truly appreciate the recommendations you are going to make to others and hope you will make us your choice hotel in Ocean City, MD!

Reviewed July 27, 2012

We just finished a 5 day stay. The staff was nice. Room was clean and big for our family. I did not feel cramped like in other places. The bathroom was a bit small, but that was ok. The location is great for the beach and the pools were great for the evening or after being at the beach all day. The best thing is that although it is on the boardwalk you are not too close to all the cluster of the other end of the boardwalk with all the games and noise. This was my first stay in Ocean City, MD and I would love to go back.

Room Tip: Spend the extra on a oceanfront, dont believe when they tell you that the grand view rooms still hav...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank annie0696

We hope you do come back because we would love to accommodate you again! I'm pleased to hear that you absolutely enjoyed your stay and were able to take advantage of all of the amenities the Grand Hotel and Spa has to offer.

Thank you for all of your kind words which will be shared with our team. We truly look forward to gaining another loyal guest and hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed July 25, 2012

I would have to agree with the views that if you have a problem the Manager Patrick Stubal was absolutly RUDE !!!

I travel alot and I am extremly fair with service but this was the absolute worse hotel I ever stayed in my life. We checked in around 8pm Friday I just dropped off our bag because we went straight to the boardwalk. The room smelled musty but I didn't complain because we were only staying one night. and I didn't think that was a big deal. When we got back to the room it was around 12:30am, whenIi got under the covers I felt something gritty in the bed when I looked under the sheets there was sand and hair in the bed. I called downstairs and the front desk said there was nothing they could do because the housekeeping left. I was so angry because this was a safely issue because clearly the sheets were not cleaned furthermore for $300 a night that was extremly upsetting. I asked to speak with the night Manager they said it was no one that could resolve my issue resolve or otherwise and they could not move my room. I didn't et to sleep because I was aftraid they had bedbugg because I statred to iche...maybe because of the sand i don't know. So I waited until the morning and went downstairs 3 times until 2pm when a manager finally arrived. Oh I forgot to mention in the am the shower head came off and the water was luke warm.The manger still said No didn't do anything or offer to reiburse me. I eventually spoke to patrick who I requested i receive my money back they said no and quite frankly was more rude than the other mangers. I would never stay there again. they offered no aplogizes and the hygene issues are horrible. Especially since I had my 4year old and 1year. After this incident I even wrote a letter to the Hotel's General Manger I never received a response, apology, or anything

Again I travel a lot and every hotel isn't a 4 or 5 star hotel but give nice service and clean...other than the location don't stay here it isn't clean and the mangerment is not freindly if you have a problem or a issue.

Room Tip: Don't stay here they don't clean the rooms
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank quonlove
GrandManager, General Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2012

I am the hotels' General Manager, Patrick Staib, and I apologize that I never had the chance to make your acquaintance. Unfortunately, I neither remember the situation nor have I ever received any sort of letter or note. My office opens directly into the lobby, just to the right of the front desk so that I have the opportunity to meet my guests and solve any problems that may occur. I was in my office all day Friday and definitely don't recall this situation.

Please contact me directly and I would be happy to discuss this situation and bring it to fair conclusion.

Sincere regards,
Patrick Staib

Reviewed July 23, 2012

We arrived on 7/17/12 around 3:45-which was a little bit before check-in time which we were aware of. The girl at the desk informed us that there was not a room ready for us yet, but that we could do all of the paperwork and use the facilities of the hotel and they would contact us as soon as the room would be available, which we assumed would be close to 4 PM-the check-in time. We gave the front desk staff 2 cell phone numbers they could reach us at to let us know the room was ready. We decided to grab a cart and unload our vehicle so that we could park in the garage and wait for our room. We sat in the lobby while we waited with an 8 and a 9 year old who had been travelling all day. Feeling assured that the staff would contact us, we waited as patiently as we could for our call. Finally, around 4:30 my fiance went up to the desk and asked when the room would be ready. He gave the name the reservation was under and the girl(same one who said she would call us) handed him the room keys and told him the room number and said-oh it has been ready and the keys have been sitting here. We never received any notification that our room was ready.
We enjoyed our stay at the hotel and would probably stay there again, but we feel that when you are told a call is to be made, that should be done.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family