“Our first adult weekend getaway mostly a success”
Review of Grand Hotel & Spa

Grand Hotel & Spa
Ranked #16 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
Pottstown, Pennsylvania
“Our first adult weekend getaway mostly a success”
Reviewed July 2, 2012

Well after 10 years I was able to get to the beach for the first time with my boyfriend without our children. It was an amazing opportunity so we chose the Grand. It looked incredible online and I loved that the General Manager answered all reviews good and bad. This really impressed me. I chose the hotel based on its ammenities as well as the pride the General Manager seemed to take in his hotel. My boyfriend and I are looking to plan a wedding in the near future and thought the Grand might be the place to do it based on all of the reviews. When we arrived we were able to check in early at 2:00pm, our room was ready which was great! When we got up to the room, we were in Room 304 which I knew right away would be on a corner since I had done some research before I got there. So I was a little disappointed as our first adult getaway I would have loved a middle room with a view of the just the beach but our room did provide us with a view of the beach and the street which was fine. Opening up the door to our room I was a little disappointed as I had this amazing vision of what it would look like inside the room since this was my understanding that it was a luxury hotel but it looked like any other hotel room, with the old comforters and the red hotel rug and old furniture. The desk in the room looked like someone had sat on top of it it was warped and looked ready to fall apart. On the second floor I saw that tile floor was in some of the rooms and I had wished we could have gotten on of those rooms because they just looked cleaner. The bathroom was small but it was clean. We didn't experience any bed bugs thankfully and believe me it's the first thing we inspect for when we arrive. No need to have your dream vacation weekend turn into a nightmare. And on the first day we called down to get a lightbulb replaced over the kitchen area and it never was so we removed one from the bathroom and put it in the kitchen area since the bathroom had many lightbulbs available. I also had to call down for maid service since the maid went right past our door with the sign maid service please on it. Now for the great parts of our vacation. Absolutely a million things to do in this hotel, from the sauna to the spa to the game room to the indoor and outdoor pool. Absolutely close to everything!!! Also loved that off of the beach I could use the downstairs bathroom and go right to beach. Wonderful!!! Also on check out day you can stay parked in garage until 2 which is great because it was amazing to be able to relax one more time by the pool and have a drink before the long drive home. Knowing we were going back to four children this was the absolute best part of the trip!! You have this amazing service where the pool person comes over and sets up your lounge chair for you and the pool bar is great! The bartenders aren't very experienced or fast but you get a good drink eventually. The margaritas by the pool superb! The EPIC bar is great except it doens't get alot of customers too often at least we were the only ones in the bar on Saturday night after midnight and Friday night we went to karaoke there and the while entertaining, the karaoke person sat the entire night and his equipment was less than amazing. The sound was not very professional but we did have a good time there. The bartender never heard of a shaker before and then mixed my shots in a shaker. LOL I thought that was funny. All in all I thought that this hotel was great for its ammenities and had a lot to offer however I feel like if I wanted the room lap of luxury to go with it maybe I had to pay a little more a night to get it. I did pay almost 300.00 a night which to most people I guess isn't a lot of money but to a couple raising four children we just thought we would get more room for our money but honestly, it was a great trip and we really did enjoy our stay with the exception of the little instances I stated above. I would stay here again and probably upgrade my room a bit and believe if the rooms would be updated to tile floors and updated drapes and furniture I believe this would be the best kept secret hotel ever!!!!

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms with the teen numbers they are in the middle. Anything like 304 or 323 would be on...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 5, 2012
I am overjoyed to hear that you first getaway alone with your boyfriend in 10 years was for the most part an enjoyable one. Nothing makes us happier than to find out that we have created another memorable experience for someone.

I would like to inform you that we are constantly working on improving our hotel and being that we are a true oceanfront property, unfortunately we experience the "wear" that any other oceanfront property would endure. Our team works very hard in an attempt to stay on top of these issues, but I apologize for the condition of your room. Could I inquire with you if you informed anyone at the front desk about your disappointment? We would have been more than happy to upgrade you to a room of your liking because we want all of our guests to be more than satisfied with their room.

Once again I am happy to hear that overall your stay was a success and that you really benefited from all of the amenities we have to offer! We love to accommodate our guests in any fashion that we can and I'm pleased that once again this has held true regarding your extended parking after check out. I hope you will seriously consider coming back again to stay with us because I can guarantee that your next stay will be even better than the last.

Yours in Hospitality,
Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (418)
Wheeling, West Virginia, United States
Reviewed July 2, 2012

We've stayed on the boardwalk before but the Grand was the best so far! We will be back! The staff were great, especially with my 8 year old. The shops that you can access from inside were a bonus in bad weather. The 24 hour coffee shop was also a plus.

2 Thank Jodi C
Coatesville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 2, 2012

Booked for the weekend two adluts and three teenagers. After seeing the room we expressed that the room would not be large enough for our needs. (and that s after getting over the fact the the room looked dirty and smelled of mold) requested to be moved to a larger room at our expence they said that nothing was availble until the next day. requested for them to send up a roll away bed until we could get a larger room. they agreed however the bed never arrived We requested that bed twice. After one of the kids had to sleep on the tile floor. and there road side flashing billboard in front of the hotel said rooms available all night. we decided to end our stay due to the poor costumer service and the over priced cheap motel appearance.

Room Tip: book your room at the Holiday inn
, Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 4, 2012
I am very disappointed to hear that you had a less than pleasurable stay. However I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

After reviewing your reservation, unfortunately we could not move your room that night because the hotel was completely full. However I would like to apologize for all of the issues you experienced concerning the condition of your room and for not receiving your requested roll away bed. I would like to inquire if you requested to have housekeeping service your room to your liking since we did not have a room to move you to until the next day? Nevertheless I empathize with you regarding this situation and the room should have been cleaned appropriately upon your arrival. These issues have been addressed by the appropriate departments and will be used as a tool to train our staff.

Although we have failed you once, I hope you will allow us the opportunity to win back your trust and prove our commitment providing excellent customer service by choosing to stay with us again in the near future. I am confident that your next experience with the Grand Hotel and Spa will be a more pleasant one. I would like to encourage you to contact me directly so we can discuss this matter further. I would also like to make sure that your next stay with us is perfect!

mt top
Reviewed July 1, 2012

We stay here every year. Great location, wonderful staff. Clean and spacious rooms. Maid service could be better.

1 Thank familyof5mttop
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed June 30, 2012

When I was looking at places to stay in OC, MD I knew to check TripAdvisor and choose a place that was in the top 10. A few years ago we stayed at the Park Place Hotel and the reviews of it were spot on just as they have always been. The only reason we didn't stay again was that we wanted to stay on the quieter end of the boardwalk. So, in choosing the Grand, my priority was quiet side of boardwalk, ocean view and clean. I originally wanted the Holiday Inn but it was not available. I was nervous because at the time I was looking, the Grand was at about 30 on the tripadvisor list. However the key elements I wanted were met and I really liked how the managers read and commented on many of the reviews - good and bad.

The Grand is a great shaped hotel. It curves so that every room has a view. We stayed on the 11th floor on one of the side rooms. We had a fantastic view of the ocean, the city and the bay. At night the city was lit up and looked cool and, of course, during the day the ocean and bay looked beautiful! The deck is very large and is sparsely decorated with two little old white plastic chairs and little side table. We set up our beach chairs and turned it into a great deck! The bedroom was very big and looks just as it does in the picture on the website. The bathroom, however, is very small. Probably the smallest bathroom I've ever had in a hotel. But, it was very clean. Also, the towels seemed relatively new (although an old towel was mixed in once in a while when the cleaning crew changed them). Our room only had a small fridge with a microwave on top and a old coffee maker. I had glanced into other rooms on our floor and they had little kitchenettes in them which I would have liked better but not enough to ask to change our room. You may need to request it if you are counting on a kitchenette. The furniture is worn and outdated but, again, clean. The beds are not the most comfortable - a little too stiff. The linens and blanket were nice though. The pillows were very old and flat. I think the desk may have thought I was crazy because I asked for 5 extra pillows - but honestly, that didn't even help. The assortment of pillows that we ended up with were in all states of overuse. Note to management . . . buy new pillows! There is a t.v. in the room but it was old school and very dark. If you want a good wifi signal you need to go in the hallway or downstairs to the lobby. I know that many people like to say, well you're at the beach - so what if the t.v. is old or you can't get online - go outside and have fun! I get that argument. My answer is when you have spent all day at the beach and walked around for a couple hours, sometimes you just want that downtime to watch something on t.v. or research fun stuff to do or good places to eat on your computer or tablet. It's 2012 I think that a great hotel needs to keep up to date with technology no matter where it is located. My last thought on the room was that I wondered why there wasn't a little sofa or maybe two nice side chairs to sit on. The room is very large and could accommodate either very easily!

The outdoor pool was a good size and clean with plenty of lounging chairs. The inside pool was significantly smaller but, good that they had that option. We ordered drinks at the poolside bar - that was a nice treat. We never ate at the restaurant. It's on the 6th floor and whenever I stopped to look it was either closed or hardly had anyone dining in it. That's all the warning I need to not try to eat at a restaurant. Plus I don't remember seeing it reviewed very nicely on TripAdvisor. Side-note, we did eat breakfast next door at the Sahara Cafe and it was tasty and inexpensive. Check-in was normal and pleasant as was checking out.

The shops attached to the hotel were your typical boardwalk shops. Fun touristy stuff. Oh La La had really cute shoes. My kids had ice cream at the parlor and said it was yummy. I bought a t-shirt at another store that had very nice employees. Personally I didn't like the pizza at the pizza place and preferred Franco's a couple blocks down the boardwalk.The coffee shop seemed convenient - I didn't end up buying anything there but the pastries and coffee looked good and I think it's open 24hrs.

Best thing was that when you left the hotel all you had to do was cross the boardwalk and you are on the beach! Which, to me, was the most important part of our vacation. I love Ocean City, MD's beach. Its very clean, not a lot of shells to step on and whenever we have been there - no green flies to bite you. We saw dolphins, surfers, windsurfers (of course the annoying advertising boats) and the water was wonderful. With that, our vacation was perfect.

I did like the Grand. I couldn't have asked for a better view and thought the price we paid was affordable. As far as staying there again, I'm not sure. I think I would have to see on their website that they have upgraded the hotel with new beds, t.v.'s, room furniture and even simple things like new shower curtains and, of course, pillows. If I see that, I will be back in a heartbeat and recommend them to all my friends otherwise, I will just make reservations earlier at the Holiday Inn.

Room Tip: 11th floor had a fantastic view! Ask for a room with a kitchenette if you need it otherwise you may...
1 Thank cbluvsthebeach
, Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 3, 2012
Thank you for all of your detailed feedback regarding your stay. I am glad to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed the view from your room. Nevertheless I am disappointed to hear that you are unsure about staying with us again.

I would like to inform you that we are constantly making improvements to our guest rooms and our entire hotel to make every guests experience more enjoyable. We recently spent an extensive amount of money on upgrading our WIFI services available in our guest rooms. New routers were installed, along with multiple access points because we understand how important internet access is to our guests, so I apologize for the issues you had connecting to our network and it will be investigated. We have also recently purchased brand new LCD flat screen TVs that are available in our Direct Oceanfront Signature Service and King Jacuzzi rooms.

All of your concerns have been addressed regarding the condition of your furniture, bed and pillows. They are being reviewed by our management team and the appropriate actions will be taken. We cannot make all of these changes at once, but again I promise you that we are always making improvements to the hotel to make your stay even better.

I hope you will give us another chance to prove our commitment to making every stay a memorable one. I hope to see you again in the future and thank you once again for all of your comments.

Irwin, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 27, 2012

For over 40 years I've been going to OC and have stayed at some great places, and some not-so-great places. This will be the 3rd year that we have stayed and the Grand and years ago, I remember sitting on my deck in the Thunder Island condos, watching the Grand being built and remember thinking, "what a cool curved hotel, I'd like to stay there some day."

We arrived Wednesday, June 20th right in the middle of the MD State Fire Assoc parade, and we were warned about the traffic mess it caused even before we left our house. The front desk staff told us not to come in on rt 50, but to take the alternate route and come in through the northern part of OC. What a great tip.

Since we got there before check-in, the front desk told me that they would text me when our room was ready, so we changed in the 2nd floor changing area and went swimming in the outdoor pool and watched the fireman's parade from the pool deck.

Our 11th floor Signature room was very nicely appointed and this was the 2nd time we took advantage of the Signature room. The views from the room were spectacular and the room in general was very nice and clean. The beds were comfortable and the 4 of us loved the crisp white sheets. Other things to love at the Grand are the ample parking spaces in the garage and the proximity to every thing including dining, mini golf, souvenirs and the boards.

If there was 1 negative thing that we could say, it was that our room was not made in about 2 days. One day the house keeper said she'd have it done, but never came back, then the next day we were out of our room at 10am and didn't return until after 4pm and the room was still not attended too. We did call the front desk and someone did come up after 4:30 to take care of our room while we went to dinner.

The final thing that made us shake our heads, was our neighbor in 1114. Sometimes you just remember people, and this was the second year we stayed next to this particular gentleman. He's a very nice and polite guy and doesn't bother anyone; however, when you walk out on to your balcony at 8am and see your neighbor bare-@ss naked sunning himself, you just have to laugh. I was just glad the kids weren't up that early to see old glory.

All-in-all a great hotel and we'll be back next year, just hope we get a different neighbor. LOL.

2 Thank Cyclone2933
Reviewed June 27, 2012

This was our first time staying at this hotel. We stayed there June 20th and 21st. It was pretty reasonably priced, which usually has me worried, but I was pleasantly surprised. The front desk staff of Jeff (*ignore name change at bottom) and Sean were super friendly and very accommodating. We had a sick child, and they called us when our room was ready, and we had a friendly, speedy check-in. The front of the hotel is welcoming with chairs and a fountain. The room was a nice size room, and we were directly facing the ocean, which was great! I had read reviews about the glass doors and tvs, but in my opinion it was no big deal. I wasn't in Ocean City to watch tv, and when I was in the room, I had glass doors open! The hotel has a bakery/ice cream store as well as other stores you can access right from the hotel. We ate at the pizza restaurant, didn't realize until later they actually deliver to the rooms. I was not at all impresses. It took almost 45 minutes to get a steak and cheese and a large pizza. They made the steak and cheese( small, not worth price) first and gave to me before they even started pizza. The guy making pizza was in slow motion, it took him 10 minutes just to put pepperoni on one pizza. The pizza was good; steak and cheese was not, but not worth the long wait and the people working there were rude and wore no gloves and had their hands in all the food. This hotel does not provide a continental breakfast. They have a restaurant on premise, but was never really sure if it was open or not. We didn't see any signs and there was no menu in the room, so we never tried it. There are two nice pools, one inside and one outside. There is direct access to beach and boardwalk. The one complaint I do have is the place to rinse off your sand is only about two feet high, which made it hard to get sand off of anywhere but your feet. A shower size spout would have been nice. The hotel boasts a non-smoking environment, and inside it seemed to be true, but outside, not so much. Employees from pizza place and other would smoke right outside of building were you washed off sand. And there were a few people that snuck it in at the indoor and outdoor pools(not many). We have a child with asthma, so this was important to us. They provide ash trays out the side and front entrances, so people take advantage of that. The room did not have enough towels and wash cloths, but a call to Sean at the front desk, and we were provided them immediately. The ice machines are located on the even number floors, but the one was not working. The maid service wasn't the best on second day. Our room was clean upon arrival, and I don't normally tip on the first night and quit to fully tip the last day, but after staying in a seedy hotel the night before, I was all too happy to provide thanks. However, I was minority disappointed. Our maid did not replenish the toilet paper, coffee cups or drinking cups, and there was sand still all over the desk(we didn't have anything but a magazine on it because apparently they are not allowed to clean any counter tops with so sting on it). Nothing major but had to call back down to desk to retrieve those items. There was wireless internet which seemed to work well. There was a room safe, mini kitchen with a sink, refrigerator, microwave, and cupboards. There s a game room for the kids, but as with most game rooms a rip off for some games. Every time my kids played the claw game they would have something in the claw and make it all the way to the drop off, but just shy of the drop off the claw mysteriously opened and dropped the toy short of the opening. The candy claw is your better choice. There were other games as well. There are also bathrooms with saunas in that area. Overall, I would say it was a good experience with a few minor glitches. You can keep car parked there until 2pm on check-out day. Again, a special shout out to Sean, Ryan(I think I said wrong name at top but couldn't get my iPad to go back up and change it), and Kira at the front desk who were the most pleasurable front desk clerks I have encountered in a LONG time! We will be back next year!

2 Thank kidcraze
, Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 3, 2012
Thank you for your extensive feedback regarding all aspects of your stay. We truly appreciate the time you have taken to inform us of the positive and negatives of your visit. However I'm glad to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay and that you will definitely be back to stay with us again next year.

I apologize for the issues you had concerning your dining experience in the pizzeria and for the other minor inconveniences you endured. All of your comments have been relayed to the appropriate departments and will be used as an additional tool to train our staff and make every guests stay more enjoyable! Thank you for also personally recognizing a few members of our Front Desk team.

We hope we do see you again next year because we cannot wait to have you back.. Thank you once again for staying with us and we look forward to making the Grand Hotel and Spa your choice hotel in Ocean City, MD.