“Another year, another great time!”
Review of Grand Hotel & Spa

Grand Hotel & Spa
Ranked #15 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
Maryland
“Another year, another great time!”
Reviewed May 25, 2011

I stayed here last May and just got back this May. What a great time yet again. Things I like: great communication let me know right at check in that I could have a late check out for $45 bucks, called the room to see how we are doing a few hours after checking in, quick room service, great working A/C and Heat unit, indoor and outdoor pool, 24 hr. cafe, right on the boardwalk, parking garage, comfortable beds, nice layout of rooms, wet bar/sink, nice bathroom / shower, balcony. Things that need some help: TV needs updating to plasma/lcd/led they said they were updating them this year but still the same one, balcony door was very hard to open and close, maybe add in a screen door in front of the glass door so bugs cant fly in, indoor pool should be heated. They really need to upgrade their wireless internet especially in the rooms. They should offer free wireless in all rooms/levels and have it on a secure locked network meaning at time of check-n they provide you with the password to access the wireless. This way it keeps anyone from using it plus its way more secure than an open network.

I will stay here again since prices are very decent for what they offer, I always tend to book earlier as well. I hope they offer repeat customer discounts, I will check into that the next time I plan to stay here.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (413)
Dover, Delaware
Reviewed May 25, 2011

If you enjoy having your family exposed to BLOOD on the wall of your hotel room, then this is the place for you. Ocean City P.D. responded & confirmed blood presence. Of course, in the presence of the P.D., hotel management assured us General Manager was aware, he would address the situation promptly, & an incident report would be provided to us. Well, you guessed it folks, empty promises all. We arrived @ front desk, after transferring OURSELVES to a tired replacement room, only to be informed by "Director of Security" it was "His Call", and no acknowledgement /incident report would be provided. Nice right ? We are STILL waiting for your return call Patrick S. You have our contact #'s & E-mail. Why the delay ? Should I post the pictures ?

Room Tip: Stay @ your own risk folks
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank FreqFlyr63
GrandManager, General Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, May 27, 2011
I am sincerely sorry for the situation you encountered and our delayed reply. I am trying to call your cell phone now, but unfortunately your voice mail box is not set up. I have sent you an e-mail and will continue to try you by telephone.

While the exact make up of the stain is not certain, any stain is a failure by our team and for that you have most sincere apologies. We pride ourselves on our outstanding housekeeping service and as our many positive cleanliness Tripadvisor reviews show, our guests agree.

Your experience is the exception, and certainly not the rule, I look forward to talking to you soon and bringing this unfortunate event to a equitable and amiable close.

Again, please accept my sincere apologies, I look forward to your reply.
Columbia, Maryland
Reviewed May 21, 2011

My 20 year old daughter and a friend stayed at the Grand in the off-season; lots of available rooms. They asked if they could have late checkout and were told yes. An extra charge appeared on my credit card; when I called I was told by the manager, Chris, that there is 1/2 day charge for late checkout. He says they were told this at the desk; my daughter says it wasn't mentioned to them. He refused to remove the charge. The girls know I wouldn't pay $50 for them to stay an extra 2 hours. It seems that since they are kids, they were taken advantage of. The extra charge is not in writing at the desk or when you check-in. There were tons of empty rooms at the hotel; this charge was unnecessary. We stay at the Grand for the decent rooms, safety, and nice views. I would stay there again, but be wary of this kind of experience. We will look around at other hotels before returning; I've had late checkout several times in my life and never been charged for it.

• Stayed April 2011
2 Thank pmg0123
GrandManager, General Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, May 23, 2011
I can certainly understand your concern as parent (and the keeper of the credit card) if an additional charge was added to your daughters bill. I can't respond directly to your concerns at this time because I can't access the record without you daughters name. I would encourage you to give me a call directly to discuss this matter; this way we can both review the record together.

My front desk team is very professional and well trained at their jobs; that is not to say that they do not make mistakes. As the General Manager of the hotel I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to bring some clarity to this situation.
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed May 16, 2011

After reading the reviews here, I was probably more likely to be on the lookout for negatives. That said, our stay was perfectly comfortable. We booked a month in advance for a wedding and were given a rate of around $120 for an ocean view room (I believe all the rooms are ocean view).

When we checked in, I noticed what some of the reviews have complained about: a faint smoke smell, some older furnishings, etc. We were next to a standard room that seemed to be filled with about a dozen guys in their 20s who were partying in their room and on the balcony. We wanted a quiet night, so we called down for a room change.

At first the clerk wanted to charge us $75 to downgrade to a room with a worse view (we didn't really care about the view at this point), but after speaking to his manager, he upgraded us to non-smelly, recently updated room on the 11th floor. And it was quiet! After the room change we were much happier.

The only negatives were that the a/c was very loud when it cycled on and that light fixture in the bathroom seemed to be causing the paint to melt, which seemed like a safety concern. All in all we had a comfortable stay, but if we had stayed in the original room or had to pay $75 for a quiet room, I would probably be writing a negative review.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank saltemps
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed May 5, 2011

At this very moment I'm in my king jacuzzi room in a snuggly hotel-provided robe, watching the sun rise over the Atlantic, and life is good. With some trepidation we booked 2 nights here during the off season for a peaceful retreat, and we're not disappointed. Not saying the reviews aren't true-- the smoke smell hit us as we opened the door, the jacuzzi is a squeeze for 2, and the carpet ripples like the ocean, but it's minor. The room is huge (all the more puzzling that I can't sit in a nice chair to read my book, but must opt for this desk chair), it's spotless, the employees are sweet, and our view is outstanding. The easy access beach and boardwalk are directly below me. The building exudes spaciousness and encourages relaxation. And wi-fi works in the room! No dreaded fire alarm roused us during the night, but we did fearfully decline to use the provided candles around our tub to prevent $250 from being tacked on to our room charge! I'm guessing that helps keep the trouble away, because the staff informs us that alarms now are few and far between. Our disappointments? The pool is too cold for swimming (a major reason we booked here, sadly) and even the hotel restaurant is closed. We expected the strip to be largely shuttered until June, but the ads promised a restaurant on site. Since we called here directly, we should've been warned we'd need to drive around to find an open place to dine. It's nice, though, to have a 24 hour coffee shop in the lobby.
Would we come back? Yes, if after pricing similar locations we found that the price was competitive. WIth its boardwalk access, outdoor pool and various dining and entertainment options during the open season, it appears to have it all.

Room Tip: Call hotel directly for best ocean view
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank fulghie
GrandManager, General Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, May 6, 2011
Wow..."The Grand Lady of the Boardwalk", can I hire you to do my marketing :-) Thank you so much for the kind words, I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay.

Like many businesses today, money is tight for buying new big ticket items like furniture and new carpet; but for what we lack in bells and whistles, we make up for with our wonderful views, great location, huge rooms, comfy beds, awesome housekeeping team and great service.

I have made notes from your review and we will be discussing them at our next executive meeting. Thank you again; we look forward to having you back soon.
Lake Pleasant, New York
Reviewed April 25, 2011

Booked this hotel through Orbitz, mostly because of the location. We wanted ocean front and close to the boardwalk. The original price was 80.00 per night including tax, imagine our surprise when the final bill was received and the price was actually 65.00 including tax! The front desk staff was friendly and responsive the few times we interacted. We were disappointed that the kitchenette had absolutely nothing in the cabinets. No plates, cups, eating utensils, or toaster. The room definitely needs a couch or sitting chairs. Carpet was a little lumpy and our first full day there we had to inquire about housekeeping since by 3:30pm our room was still not "made" up. When we returned at 8:00pm the room was done, but much to our surprise one comforter was thrown on the floor next to the bed. No big deal since I generally don't use the comforter anyway, but a little comical to say the least.
The coffee/bagel shop downstairs is open 24 hrs. and the coffee was always fresh. My 14 year old daughter and I visited the spa, but didn't have the time to use the services. The listed prices were reasonable and the receptionist was friendly. Parking was on site and convenient. Balcony could use a good cleaning but functional. Four available elevators made our trek to the 9th floor fast.
WiFi only worked in the lobby which was fine. There is a computer with internet access in the lobby for quests to use.
Very good location, right on the boardwalk, close to many restaurants, mini golf, shopping. Overall a very good experience.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank pamnbrie
GrandManager, General Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 27, 2011
Thank you very much for taking the time to tell us about your stay. I would also like to thank you for letting us know that you had a "Good" stay, and while "Good" is a positive review, it's not "Great" and that is where we want to be.

We will review your comments at our next housekeeping meeting so that we can rectify the deficiencies you experienced. I am very proud of my housekeeping team; the Grand is one of the cleanest hotels in Ocean City, and comments like yours only help us to to get better and better.
thurmont
Reviewed April 3, 2011

I Understand that fire alarms are there to protect us but we have stayed here for the past six or seven years and have been evacuated every year. Some years more than once. For me its an inconvience and annoying. For my kids its scarey. My seven year old is scared to go back. Last year he couldnt sleep and grinded his teeth all night long. The fire alarm went off of course and then the rest of our vacation he wanted to go home! It was a nightmare. Its a shame because we like everything else about this hotel. Nice hotel with a major fire alarm problem!

Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank dlfb
GrandManager, General Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 13, 2011
Thank you for your feedback regarding our hotel. It is disappointing when the alarm goes off during your stay; but you are right, the fire alarms are a necessary evil. The vast majority of our false alarms are caused by guests who burn foods in the microwave ovens. I am happy to say that we have had a significant decrease in the number of alarms since we have posted notifications in our elevators. We will continue to educate our guests on the importance of not leaving cooking food unattended. Thank you again for your feedback.