“Great Time in OC MD”

Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Ocean City
Ranked #12 of 104 Hotels in Ocean City
Reviewed August 12, 2010

In the past we have always stayed at smaller, less expensive places a block or 2 from the beach. This year we decided to splurge and try this Holiday Inn on the boardwalk.... probably twice as expensive as the place we stayed last year. The oceanfront view from our room on the 11th floor was AMAZING! It was too hot to sit out on the deck in the morning with the direct sun, but by early afternoon it was partially shaded with a great breeze.
My kids tried all 3 pools.... the indoor pool was larger than expected but the water too cold for me, I think because it shares the space with a restaurant. Both outdoor pools were nice and warm. They especially loved the kids pool, since it had jets in areas that push you around a whirlpool and river.
We thought the room was very nice and clean -- I think from reading some other reviews, it really depends what you are used too. The kitchen was fully equipped with most things needed for cooking -- however, 2 things missing were a cookie sheet-type pan (for baking a pizza or chicken nuggets, etc) and oven mitts. Maybe these were just missing from our particular room ,,... but there really was everything else. The beds were super-comfortable! The kids tried out the jacuzzi tub and liked it but found it's very loud.
Location is great... steps to the beach and a 10-20 minute walk to the busier end of the boardwalk with the arcades.
The only frustration we had, and this was mentioned in a previous review, is that it is nearly IMPOSSIBLE to find a chair in either outdoor pool area. Guests seem to go out there early in the morning and "reserve" a chair with a towel, and then leave. 2 mornings we were there, from our deck I counted 30-40 "reserved" chairs by 8:30 am when there were no more than 6 people actually in the pool area. And people also tend to reserve a chair for each family member, including little kids, which really isn't necessary. There is a small sign about not leaving belongings on a chair when you leave the pool area but it's ignored. We were lucky to find 1 chair for the 5 of us to share, and a few times I just sat at the edge of the pool with our stuff to watch the kids. It would be great if the hotel could come up with a solution for this, since common sense and consideration is obviously lacking.
Overall, we had a great time and would stay here again... though probably not every year because of the higher cost.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank McGJJJ

Reviewed August 5, 2010

This was our first trip to OCMD and I was a little apprehensive about it..... I was getting mixed reactions from family and friends about choosing OCMD as a "family vacation." I was told it would be "raunchy", "overcrowded" and "dirty." However, I was pleasantly surprised that it was none of these and our family of five.... kids ages are 10, 9, 5 had a great time. I choose the Holiday Inn Hotels and Suites because of the kids pool..... slides, whirlpools, fountains, etc.... they had a blast and would stay there all day if we let them. The only problem I found was that by 10am all the chairs around the pool had been "reserved" with towels and such so there was never a free chair to sit at. I wish hotels would stop that... it is my pet-peeve in life! Anyway, the pool was great. There are two other pools as well... one indoor (water was very cold) and another outdoor which was more for the adults... but kids could go there too. The hotel itself is in a good location... not so close to the "busy" side of the boardwalk where the amusement park is, but close enough that you could walk there in 20 minutes down the boardwalk or you can get the tram ($3 each way per person... pricey!) The hotel is directly on the boardwalk and the beach is right across. We brought our own chairs and umbrella to set up. The water can be rough. My older children loved boogie boarding in the waves but my 5 year old was fearful of the waves and did not go in the water. The inside of the hotel is OK. It is very expensive for what you get, but ALL the hotels on the beach are this way. The beds were very comfortable, but overall the room was a little outdated and not the cleanest hotel I have ever stayed at. However, I would stay there again because of its location and the kids pool. One side note......we ate at Philips all you can eat........a must! Go before 6 or the line will be out the door and around the corner. Go hungry.... !

1  Thank lps113
Reviewed August 3, 2010

Wanted teenage son to experience a beach setting with a boardwalk. Hotel has steps directly down to boardwalk and onto beach, which couldn't have been nicer. Often beach hotels get pretty beat up regardless of how hard the hotel staff tries to keep it looking nice and this is the case at this hotel. This is definately a hotel for families that love access to the beach and can go back and forth to their room with the kids for lunch and naps, sand pails, etc. The room itself (southern view -8th floor) was shabby - furniture was old and unattractive, beds were comfortable, balcony could use a good powerwashing/looked mildewy. Bathroom, although tiled, looked tired and shower pressure was low. Suite was spacious and in its hay day must have been really nice. Glad our stay was only two nights. It was fun to experience the boardwalk, but I wished the hotel was even a Holiday Inn Express quality. You are paying for location and not much else. Parking was difficult to find on the property, although they have two overflow parking lots directly across the street. The pool and kiddie area looked nice and was crowded, but we came to use the beach. The oceanfront rooms overlook the pool and kiddie area so I would suggest getting a room at least 4 or 5 levels up or you could hear all the nosie from below. My standards are a bit high to recommend this hotel and I know I could never stay here again. Although I prefer a resort type setting, it was nice to walk the boardwalk at night and the beach is very nice. The staff was pleasant.

1  Thank FindYourPassion
Reviewed July 25, 2010

My family and I have stayed at the Holiday Inn and Suites in Ocean City (17th Street) almost every year for the last 9-10 years. This year I used Priority Club Points for one of the nights and paid $479+tax for the second night (they did not have any Priority Club rooms available). When I booked the hotel the operator assured me that even though I had two confirmation numbers I would have the same room. When I checked in I explained to the front desk employee that I had two confirmation numbers and she said that it would not be a problem. My family and I got situated the first night and unpacked all of our bags and put everything away. The next afternoon I received a phone call from Jenny at the front desk telling me that I needed to return to the hotel to move my belongings to my new room. She said that they don't have the same room "type" available for me any longer. What does "same room type" mean? Let me explain, I guess when you are a loyal Holiday Inn Priority Club member they don't give you the same rooms as the other guests. From that point forward Jenny at the front desk only said "this is your new room, there is nothing we can do for you, if you want a room tonight this is where you will be staying". Admittedly I dropped from a Platinum level member to a gold level member this year but I still accumulate a lot of points each year with Priority Club. Unfortunately for Holiday Inn, the treatment I received at this property has me reconsidering my loyalty to their chain of hotels. Somebody in management should look up the research that Nielson Research Company did a few years back that shows that 5x as many people hear about a bad experience over a good experience. I will be sure and make ita apoint to tell five times more people about my bad experience at this property than my good experiences!

2  Thank Luke1497
Reviewed July 19, 2010

My husband, tween daughter (turned 13 on 7/12) and I had the pleasure of staying at this Holiday Inn and Suites from 7/10-7/12. This was our first stay at this Holiday Inn.
I booked the reservation back in April using a combination of Priority Club Reward Points and cash. I only had to pay a total of around $225.00 out of pocket for both nights so we only ended up paying around $112.50 per night for a room that normally would book for $449.00 a night which is the nightly rate it was showing as on the web at the time of my booking.
If you are not already a member of the Holiday Inn Priority Club Rewards Club then it is definately worth joining. It is free to join and you can rack up a lot of extra bonus points fairly easily through promotions by the program involving stays within a certain time frame, You can also easily rack up big points by subscribing(NEW only) to Direct TV, Netflix,Chase credit card etc to name a few. Just make sure that you register for any of these offers through the Priority Club Website link for any offers for Direct TV, NetFlix, Chase credit card etc or you will not be eligible to receive the points.
Now on to my review. A southern view was the only option with booking a Priority Club Rewards night. The room description said that it had a balcony but I expected that we would be facing the street or not have a view of the ocean. Boy, was I surprised! but more about that later.
The Holiday Inn was very clean,modern, and inviting from the outside and we were able to find a parking space in the main parking lot by the hotel. There is also a parking area across the street. There was several polite young men assisting with baggage as we entered the lower lobby. There were stairs as well as 4 elevators.The lobby was very inviting with marble floors, nice lighting,railing by the stairs and overall nice decor.There were 2 restaurants on this level as well as an indoor pool. There were 3 guest relations clerks at the reception desk checking in guests which was fantastic as our check in went very quickly and smoothly. This was the best check in experience that I ever had anywhere! Theye also gave you cards to get pools towels which you got back when you turned them in and purple bracelets for everyone in your party to show that you were a Holiday Inn guest. There were also large baskets filled with grapefruit, oranges, and banana's for the guests as well as a basket with packets of bath salts to enjoy in the whirlpool tub in your suite. We checked in with such ease. There was no long wait for one of the 4 elevators even with there being 14 floors. We got to our room on the 8th floor and were so deligthted when we opened the door to our suite. There was a sleeper sofa,table and chairs, chair with ottoman and a flat screen TV to name a few. There was even a ceiling fan. From there,was a hall that contained the kitchen on the left and bathroom on the right. The kitchen contained a fridge, stove,dishwasher, coffee pot with the fixings, toaster, electric can opener. It was also fully furnished with dinnerware,eating utensils,cookware to name a few. It was a fully functioning kitchen ready for use. There was even dishwashing powder,liquid dishwashing detergent, and even a dish towel. The bathroom was large,clean, and spacious with Bath and Body Works amenties provided as well as bath salts(I believe those may have been Crabtree and Evelyn but unsure???) A blowdryer was provided abd the bathroom also had a double sink. It had an amazing whirlpool tub for two and a rainforest shower for lack of a better work.The shower was a round disk in the ceiling. We then moved on to the bedroom which was located past the kitchen/bathroom. It had a door that could be closed for privacy which was especially nice if you had 2 families staying there and someone was sleeping on the sleeper sofa.
The bedroom had 2 queen beds and another TV located in an armoire.It was very tastefully furnished. There was a closet with a full length mirror on the door and an extra nice touch was a full size safe that you could program with your own combination. This was great to put valuables in while in the beach. Our southern view balcony had a nice beach view even though our room was on the side of the hotel. We were in room 804 which was great as the room location was as closest as you could get to beach without having an oceanfront room. The balconies had a solid wall for privacy but since our room was on the end closet to the beach, we had an unobstructed open side facing the beach. There wwere 2 outdoor pools that included an adult pool and a very nice childrens pool with a lazy river,nice slides, and other play areas in the pool.We did not utilize any of the pools due to our short stay but they really looked inviting and the kids were having a ball in the kids pools as well as the adults. There were steps from the lobby that took you directly between these 2 pools and right on the boardwalk and right on the beach. There were also several nice shops located right on the boardwalk including a nice jewelwry store-Mark Douglas Jewelers. I puchased some very cute turtle earrings for my daughter there. The beach was very clean and not overly crowded by the hotel. I would also like to say that our room was very,very clean and that we were provided with fresh towels in a timely fashion during our stay. The room was also very quiet and I slept great as the bed bed and linens were very comfy. We also had the good fortune to secure a parking spot in the parking garage and left our car there the whole time as everything was within walking distance and the tram passed by frequently though a little expensive-$3.00 for 1 person for 1 way trip but they do offer discount cards.
I was also impressed that one of the housekeeping staff spoke to another guest in the elevator regarding that she remembered him from his visit the previous summer. WOW! All the staff were very friendly and helpful. Checkout was also a breeze as the clerk advised that Priority Club took care of everything and that we didn't need to do anything.
Check in is 3:00 pm and checkout is 11:00 am. I only have one regret about this stay in that I wish that it could have been much, much longer. It was so relaxing and we will definately be back as fast as I can rack up those Priority Club points. I was also very impressed about how VERY CLEAN,CLEAN,CLEAN that the suite and bathroom was as I am very pickly about these things. Thanks for a fantastic stay from start to finish. You rock and should be #1 in TripAdvisor as far as I am concerned!

2  Thank Mellymel3918
Reviewed July 14, 2010

-We returned from dinner and found that we had been robbed.

-The suite doors do not shut on their own, you must slam them shut.

-Housekeeping was late

-Your suppose to have on a wristband to use the facilities but they do not enforce this rule and it seems that all of the riffraff roaming up and down the boardwalk know this and take advantage.

-The night after we were robbed we were coming back from dinner and witnessed three juveniles attempting to steal a car from in the parking garage.

3  Thank coffe_20032000
Reviewed July 8, 2010

My family always goes in January and stays for a long weekend and my parents stay there a lot. We have always been very happy with the hotel. Such a fun place in the winter time! The rooms are clean, beds super comfy. Let's put it this way... years ago when I went for a weekend, I ended up having a severe case of the flu and had to stay many more day and I was very confortable being there. You always want to be in your own bed but I was very comfy there.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family