“Average stay , for the money !!!!”

Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Ocean City
Ranked #12 of 104 Hotels in Ocean City
Reviewed October 6, 2007

After staying at another hotel down the road we came to this hotel for the rest of our days in Ocean City . Our stay was average for the price we paid we did have a few complaints that we left on the comment card however , the bed was to soft for our taste , the hot tub outside closed about 5 pm every night , the hot tub /whirlpool tub in our room could have been bigger for the price, the cafe where you had to eat was in the area of the indoor pool , it was extremely hot in there every morning , I felt so bad for the wait staff working it that all day, I was very greatful one morning though my husband sat out by the pool too long and he was very sunburnt ,after asking the front desk if anything was open in the area they opended the gift shop for me and let me purchase some aloe for him which I thought was very nice. I think we would have enjoyed our stay more if the price was a little cheaper .

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank bernie35
Write a ReviewReviews (1,034)

Reviewed September 30, 2007

What a great place to stay with kids. The kiddie pool/area was great. I have never seen such a unique outdoor pool! And the indoor pool was very nice as well. The room was very nice - wonderful kitchen and bathroom. The only bad things were a fire drill, a leaky toilet, and the ac in our room not working one night. We still had a very nice time and will definately stay here again.

3  Thank stephanie y
Reviewed September 29, 2007

Stayed during the last week of September. The suite was great, the pool was great. Our 2 kids (2 & 1) really enjoyed the outdoor kiddie pool, with its slides and whirlpools. We waited until near the end of our trip to eat at the hotel resturant, and it turned out to be the best one we ate at for breakfast and dinner. The only complaints I have are the bed comforters need to be updated (a little shabby), and the first day our maid didn't get to cleaning our room until about 4:30, when we arrived back from the pool/beach and needed to get showered up. Other than those minor issues, this place was wonderful and I would defintely stay here again.

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank edgeduller
Reviewed September 14, 2007

On July 8 2007, I went online and reserved an oceanfront king room with jacuzzi for September 10 - 13. I have done this twice before. There is no place for special requests on the website, so I called one week before our stay to request a room between the 7th and 14th floor, preferably a corner. This is the same arrangement I have made twice before, and the staff graciously honored that request each time.

This time, upon arrival, I was given the option of a corner room on the first floor, or a smaller room on the second floor. Both of these rooms are directly in front of the swimming pools. On the first floor there were people walking around on the patio directly outside the room! Having no other choice, I opted for the 2nd floor, where we endured the screams of children in the kiddie pool until 6:00 pm. We hoped for peace at night, then had to call staff to remove teenagers from the "closed" pool area after dark. After several unsatisfactory conversations with the staff, including the manager on duty, I informed them we would be checking out the next day, since they would not provide us with the room I thought had been booked. I was then told we could not have the room because the people in it decided to stay longer. Last year, we asked to stay longer, and were told we would have to move to another room, which we did. Why did the staff not make these people move to another room??? The staff was completely indifferent to our comfort, and obviously did not value us a customers. The next day, we checked out without getting an apology from anyone, then had to go to the Ocean City department of tourism to find new lodging. We also went on a nighttime beach walk to see if the corner rooms from the 7th to 14th floors were occupied, and it appeared many were not.

Two days of our vacation was ruined by the lazy and disrespectful Holiday Inn staff, any of whom could have exerted a little effort to put us into the type of room I rquested. This is a lovely hotel, and I will miss staying there. Too bad the staff seems unhappy, and passes that feeling along to their guests.

4  Thank Shadowlane
Reviewed September 3, 2007

I loved this hotel. We had a great time, the kids loved the pool. It’s in a great spot. Not too close to the hustle and bustle of the boardwalk but within walking distance or you can take the tram. The rooms are nicely laid out, the view was spectacular. One of the best hotel rooms I have ever stayed in. I would have given it 5 stars except that those darn fire alarms seem to be alive and well. At 10pm on Saturday evening the alarm went off. Woke our 3 and 4 year old up. We of course evacuated as requested. We were allowed back into our room about 15 minutes later. Thought that was over until, 8am when the alarm went off again. It’s too bad this seems to keep happening to this hotel. It really is a nuisance. My 3 year old was so afraid that there was going to be a fire the remainder of our trip, he kept asking about it. Overall a wonderful vacation.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank Anitsiva
Reviewed August 14, 2007

My daughter and I (who is 8) stayed at the this Holiday Inn every summer for 4 years and LOVED it! We went either early or late in the season to take advantage of the lower rates. It is by far the best hotel we have ever stayed in. I have stayed in a couple of different places to try to save money and I must say it has been hard! The indoor pool at this hotel is the best! It's open and connected to the bar and causual dining area so it does not have the hot and humid nasty feel other indoor pools have. If you have had to sit in one of those pools with your kids you know what I mean. The outdoor pool is the best on the boardwalk and I like that the hot tub area was outside as well. Great location on the Boardwalk! Lots of kids and I watched from my balconly every single morning as people would save seats AT BOTH POOLS with towles and then not show up for hours! Something needs to be done about that. Although very expensive (425.00 a night during peak season) I think it's worth it if you have the money. I had to stay at a different hotel this year and paid $270.00 a night but as you might expect was not as happy.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled with family
1  Thank karinkm
Reviewed July 23, 2007

Spent 4 days at the HI Suites and it wasn't enough. The children loved the pool with all the slides and spent hours on end enjoying it. Yes, as the previous traveler stated there is a problem with people waiting on line two hours prior to pool opening to take the best chairs and tables. I don't know why she had to add the "chubby" people comment .... that's ridiculous and malicous. Anyway... the kiddie pool was very busy, but it's expected during July and August.... if it gets too crowded the beach is just steps away and there is an adult pool as well. The pools opened at 9 and closed at 6. I think that's a bit late to open and early to close, but I figure it's due to the fact that they have pool side rooms. Never waited at the pool side bar... sat my Chubby Ars down in a chair and used the waitress service... yes it was a little slow, but hey your on vacation. Only complaint about the bar service was that the drinks were very weak. When I asked them to spike it up they charged $2.00 on top of the 6$ for another shot.

As far as the room goes, everyone is going to have a different experience..... In a large hotel there's going to be some that have a problem. We on the other hand had a lovely King/jacuzzi oceanfront suite. Everything seemed clean. The bed was delightful... linens crisp, great mattress and a lot of fluffy pillows. Our two children slept on the sleeper sofa and said it wa cozy. Loved the fact that they had their own room and their on DVD and TV. Hubby and I enjoyed some privacy while they were busy in the living room. Nice kitchen. Everything you could possible need, even down to a blender. We enjoyed the shower head, but could see how one would not enjoy the fact that you can't adjust it... I think they call it a rainfall head or something.

Kids ate free with paying adult at the pool side and in the restaurant. Had breakfast on the last day and it was very good and reasonable. Pool side menu is very reasonably priced and loved that the kids ate free! (I guess they made it up on the drinks LOL). Not crazy about the indoor pool being right next to the open (atrium type) restaurant. I was a little turned off of the smell of chlorine prior to eating. Once your in there you don't notice it any longer. Great for the rainy day we had on Friday. They also have a small game room and they post activities for the children throughout the hotel.

If you want a hotel on the boardwalk and it's important to have a nice pool and facilities for the children... this is the best place. I walked up and down that boardwalk and there in nothing that comes close. Now if you don't care to be on the boardwalk then for the same money go to the Hilton ocean front. Last year we stayed at the Park Place which has been rated #2 for the last year or two and were absolutely miserable with that horrible pool. The locating is great (very busy part of the b.w.), the rooms were very small, but clean. But when the children have had enough of the beach and want to have fun at a nice pool and you go to that street facing little (not so clean) pool... well it was a drag. So this year we went for the big bucks and you get what you pay for (although all OC hotels are overpriced in season). It killed me to pay $425 a nigth plus tax for a H.I., but it was worth it because it had everything we wanted in a family getaway. If we didn't require the nice pool and only wanted the beach and location then there would be other choices. The Holiday Inn Suites was wonderful. Can't wait for next year. p.s. the Staff was very helpful.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family