“Another terrific stay!”

Holiday Inn Express Ocean City
Ranked #34 of 104 Hotels in Ocean City
Reviewed September 9, 2012

I have repeatedly stayed at this hotel. The beds are comfy (pillows have a little to be desired), room was very clean, breakfast was delicious and bountiful and the front desk folks were terrific! The indoor pool is a bit small but the outside pool is large and the pool area very nice, Excellent beach access right across the road. Close to lots of restaurants and the bus stops right in front and is extremely inexpensive to travel anywhere in the town. I was very very pleased and will be back again!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank MDBarbara

Reviewed September 4, 2012

Holiday inns are pretty consistent as far as I'm concerned, clean rooms, decent beds, pretty good service, etc... but I feel like I missed something as far as location goes. You are parallel to the beach so it's not far to go across the street obviously but the main action of the boardwalk is far. This hotel is located near 126th street... yes, there are shops all around for miles down the main drag, lots of mini golf, different restaurants and stores near the hotel, it's not in the middle of nowhere by any means but we wanted to be at least closer to the action than we were. When we got there we had no idea just how far we were... we asked how far of a walk it was to the boardwalk and they just said to take the bus, which is what we did, but we got off too early, at around 25th street or so? We had to walk for SEVERAL more blocks to get to the main area and it was HOTTTTT!!!!!!!! so yeah that made for a miserable day.
Just keep in mind that the main area of the boardwalk starts at around 5th street and goes down to 1st then there's a few more blocks after that. We drove a lot after that 1st day and were able to find lots of free parking spots on the street (if you got there early enough - 10,11am) that didn't require too much walking. The closer you get to Ripleys Believe it or Not, the more you'll have to pay to park so I would recommend parking around 5th/6th/7th street for free and walking a bit. Or you can take the bus but the bus takes long and makes a lot of stops, esp when you're starting at 126th street!!!!!!!!!

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Lauren W
Reviewed August 31, 2012

THE PROS
1) Great Location -Restaurants, and stores are close by. Short driving distance to boardwalk.
2) North side park behind the hotel is wonderful. You can go jogging, fishing, crabbing etc.
3) Beach is a block away And it's very clean.
4) Clean Rooms
5) Free Wifi
6) Friendly Staff

The Cons
1)Beds and pilliows are not too comfortable.
2)Breakfast hrs 6:30-9:30am . Was not able to make it before 9:30am the first day.
Over all would stay here again.
James H
Brooklyn NY

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank jameszhijian
Reviewed August 28, 2012

I read a lot of reviews about this hotel.... I am not sure weather I had bad luck in this hotel or the reviews are just complements. We had booked this hotel before we went. First, we had given handicapped room, and we were told that this is the unique available room. The reciptionest was not so gentle and she asked us to decied weather we were going to stay in this room or we didn't like it, and in the last case we have to stay one night at the hotel. She left us 5 minutes to decied as that was a high season and there are lot of people waiting for an empty room.
We decieded to stay one night ,this is also because the hotel is not on the beach. You have to cross the road with your swimming suit to get there. Finally, we found other better hotel, of course with higher price as we were looking foor immediate booking. The other hotel was much better, first row one, and there were many rooms available there.
I think the hotel staff need to know how to deal with guests first. You will discover this easily when you go there. I truely describe what has happened with us there. And honestly, as I will never go there again, I don't recommend it to the reader. Again, I am not sure weather this was a bad luck, or that is their attitude, but I am sure that this is not a good hotel. Not only due to what happened to me, but also for the hotel staff, cleanness, food quality....and so many issues.... Better luck for others

Room Tip: Be sure about what are you going to pay 4, before doing it......You will be told that there is no ot...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Osageo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Ocean City, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2012

Dear Osageo,

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your recent stay with us. Please accept our sincere apologies for the shortcomings you experienced from our staff. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering world class customer service and it is my regret that we failed to deliver an exemplary performance in this context. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Lera M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed August 13, 2012

I spent 4 weekday-nights here. It is a later-generation hotel, with fresh decor and very clean in room, hallway, and lobby/breakfast area. Located on the Bay side of the Coastal Highway on the northern fringe of Ocean City in an area where there are mostly private condos, upscale properties and only a few other hotels;it is several miles from the boardwalk (an asset if you prefer a quieter area) but it's on the "beach bus" route if you want to make a trip downtown. You have to cross the highway to reach the beach but the intersection has a traffic light and working crosswalk buttons. Just behind the hotel is the very nice Northside Park. There are sit-down restaurants (seafood, Italian, steak) and cheap eats (subs, wings, pizza) all within a block on the same side of the highway as the hotel, plus a dollar store, groceries, etc.

The room was very clean including corners, linens, and bathroom. The bath was a modern one-piece type (no grout to get icky) with a safety-handhold bar, and it was sparkling clean except for a bit of hard water build-up underneath the whirlpool jets. Room a comfortable size, nice flat screen TV and all appliances (hairdryer, fridge, microwave) clean and in working order. Bed comfortable with a variety of pillow "firmnesses" but I always bring my own for my neck problems. No sign of vermin.They did a good job of cleaning up the inevitable tracked-in sand with one exception: the elevator carpeting needed attention. The room was quiet and so were the guests when I was there. It is family friendly.

I spent my time at the beach, but the outdoor pool looked nice; staff kept it cleared of sand. Service was friendly. The complimentary breakfast had enough variety so that you could try different things on different mornings. It included cereals, yogurts, muffins/pastries/bagels/toast, scrambled eggs, meat (sausage patties or bacon on different days), biscuits and sausage gravy (a Southern dish), and a pancake-making machine (the pancakes are so-so but fun to make.) Plus surprisingly decent coffee/decaf and the usual breakfast juices. As noted by other reviewers it is best to get to the breakfast early (before 8:30) to avoid the rush.

Not a cheap hotel but probably worth what you pay. Call hotel direct and compare price to any online service quotes you get.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank pkep1483
Reviewed August 10, 2012

I always check around the bed and matress because I'm paranoid about bed bugs and found a lot of hair behind the bed, I guess it's because the bedskirts don't get changed. The sheets on the bed where clean and th room was nice. It is about a 10-15 min drive from the boardwalk. The beach is a short walk across the street. Great breakfast included.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank SweetCynTita
Reviewed July 31, 2012

I had stayed at this hotel years ago with a relative and knew it met her very-high standards of cleanliness, so I immediately thought of it for this trip. The only down side is that it is at the far north end of Ocean City--practically in Fenwick--so you're not in the heart of the boardwalk area. But the up side to that is that the beach itself is far less crowded near the hotel, and only one block away. The staff is very friendly, helpful, and courteous. The room was very clean--I'm getting too old to deal with questionable hotel rooms for the amount of money one must spend; I want to feel confident that where I sleep at night won't make me feel like I need to wash everything I brought with me or check myself for insect bites. There's enough of that in Ocean City already. Great staff, can't stress that enough....they even helped me out over the phone to find the lowest rate possible when I was confused about the various offers. Would definitely stay there again. And they offer a nice complimentary breakfast, too.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family