“Outdated Hotel!”

Carousel Resort Hotel & Condominiums
Ranked #35 of 104 Hotels in Ocean City
Reviewed October 21, 2005

I stayed at the hotel for business and was very shocked that the hotel not only did not have high speed internet access but had the nerve to charge you to use their machines which were located in the lobby of the hotel.

I also could not believe how strange the staff were at the hotel. When I checked out of the hotel not only did they not put a receipt of my bill under my door like most hotels do the morning that you are leaving, BUT, they were very surprised when I asked several times for a copy of my bill after I checked out of the hotel. The woman kept telling me that the charges would be on my credit card and I kept telling her that I needed a receipt of my ENTIRE hotel bill in order to get reimbursed by my company.

The worst thing about my stay besides the outdated room was that I could actually smell the fumes of gas coming from the cars parked in the lot which my room faced even though my window in my room was closed. The knob for the heating and air conditioning button that lets you adjust the temperature was also broken.

Michelle

• Stayed: October 2005, traveled on business
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed October 3, 2005

If you want a great view, get a hotel room on the 4th floor but if you want a nice, upkept room, stay somewhere else.

This hotel/resort has seen better days but did have some good qualities. The pools were nice. The indoor ice skating rink was small but the kids loved it. It's located to the grocery store across the street which is great.

The bottom line is if you want good location and nice surroundings outside of your room and have small children, this place is good, however, the rooms are not good at all---VERY, VERY run-down hotel rooms. I understand they have condos also, did not see them.

I would not stay here again if I had to stay in the ocean-front hotel portion.

3  Thank Dylanmack
Reviewed October 2, 2005

This is without a doubt the most overpriced hotel in Ocean city. While I have never had any problems that other have stated, I agree that there is alot of room for improvement seeing the rates here.

I booked a king/jacuzzi room for an anniversary weekend at 250 per night. Now, the room was one of the biggest and nicest I've seen, with a HUGE patio almost right on the beach, but again, anything $200+ you might as well be burning the money.
The room we had was again, very nice ,no problems.
They claim an ice skating rink, but it's really not much bigger that your room. Very small, plus you have to pay to rent skates.
There is a larger indoor pool here as well, but it was very crowded, i don't think we gave it a shot.
There was a bar on the first floor by the ice skating "rink", but we didn't check that out either.

The staff here weren't the nicest, considering what you pay.

All in all, I'd stay away. Unless they offer some kind of amazing special, you will not get what you pay for...

• Stayed: September 2002
3  Thank mark91178
whitehall Pa
Reviewed September 13, 2005

I have to agree with the last person who wrote a review. Here is a question for you - Why is it that you never see a picture of the rooms??? We stayed at the hotel for a a weekend and our room did not have a view. The hotel was expensive to stay at and the room we stayed in has not been updated since 1976 - the year it was built. The bath tub was dirty. Mold around the windows, the windows were dirty. The tables were dusty and we can back to our room at 11:30 at nigth and found a cock roach on the floor. The tub drained so slow that by the time you were done you were standing in 3inches of your own filth. This was the MOST disgusting place I have ever stayed at. I've stayed in a bungalow in the rain forest in Costa Rica for 30.00 a night and that was cleaner than this 175.00 a night room. To top off the weekend some kind sole hit my car in the carousel parking lot (and no they did not leave a note.) When we checked out we told the Desk Manager all of the problems and she asked us why we didn't call the front desk to allow them to fix the problems and the since we didn't there was not much she could do. What happend to customer service???? And it is not like our problems just happened when we showed up. All of the problem we had was a result of an old dirty run down hotel. I didn't realize that I should of spent my weekend -------- to the hotel staff of the problems or that I should of called them to the room at 11:30 at night to kill a cock roach.

• Stayed: September 2005
9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 8, 2005

We stayed at the Carousel over Labor Day weekend this year. We were not particularly thrilled with the shabby outdated decor but tried to make the best of it. Once in our room we were disgusted with the unkept and unmaintained bathroom with a cheap tub surround that was falling off the walls and every corner filled with mold and grime. We tried to close our eyes and take our showers but found that difficult when the bathroom ceiling caved in on my daughter while in the shower. We called the front desk who gave us another room but never apologized, offered any help or even mentioned my daugther who the ceiling caved in on. We spent the entire morning dealing with this mess and moving our stuff.
When we tried to check out the bellboys had all of the carts and would NOT let us use one. I asked the desk who said call a bell boy, I stated that the Carousel would not get any more of my money and I would move out myself. They refused to let me use a cart and I called the bellboy, had them move it and did not pay them. I heard other families arguing to use a cart to check out, the carousel was trying to take one last advantage of families by not letting them use a cart while four bellboys stood there holding them, "empty"!!! We intend to follow this up with the president of the organization who we looked up online, as the desk manager would not give us the information!!! Does she think were total imbeciles, you can get anything online!!

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Morgantown, WV
Reviewed August 14, 2005

Just returned from a five night stay at the Carousel. Like many others I had read the reviews and arrived expecting the worst. I was pleasantly surprised. We had booked a non smoking, two queen bed room overlooking the ice rink, and that is exactly what we got. We were on the second floor, our room was huge in comparision to most hotels rooms. The fridge, microwave and sink came in handy for quick breakfasts for the kids. It had a huge closet as well. The kids really enjoyed watching the nightly skate show from the balcony, which was also very nice. It was carpeted, very clean and had a chair with an ottoman. We did not encounter any rude staff members. We let our children (ages 6 and 8) attend Camp Carousel one evening and they begged to go back. It was a good deal for only $12 per child. The food at the outdoor grill was very good. My husband and I ate at Seasons while the children were at Camp Carousel and were very pleased with the buffet. We all had the breakfast buffet one morning and it seemed to have something for everyone. The beach is very clean, the complimentary beach chairs were nice. If I had to think of a complaint it would be that we were overcharged for ice skating. It was supposed to be $5 per child, and we were charged the "public" rate of $7. It is a nice, clean decent hotel. Close to everything and far enough from the board walk to be less congested. We will probably return. We all had a great time.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 7, 2005

Just returned to Ohio from 5 days at the Carousel in Ocean City, MD. What a wonderful beach! Very clean area, and the boardwalk is a hoot! We stayed in a two-bedroom condo in the Carousel Resort complex, which was very spacious. The unit was clean and comfortable, with the exception of the bed in the master bedroom - it was visibly delapidated, but we were so exhausted after being in the salty air and sunshine that it didn't really matter. Management immediately took care of a few minor issues. The resort is nice and offers use of 2 complimentary beach chairs per day of your stay. The complex also offers an ice skating rink with a short show each night, as well as Starbucks and KrispyKreme donuts on the premises. The resort is a little pricey, but it's in a wonderful location. It's far enough away from the boardwalk to get away from the crowds, but there are plenty of restaurants and a Food Lion directly across from the resort. We enjoyed our stay and would consider going back!

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member