“One of the greatest vacations I took”

Carousel Resort Hotel & Condominiums
Ranked #35 of 104 Hotels in Ocean City
Reviewed September 3, 2009

I am actually still here at the hotel and felt a need to write this review after reading all of the negative ones. Before I got here, I had read some of the reviews and was so nervous that I was thinking about cancelling my reservation but it was too late. Once we got here we absolutely could not see what the bad reviewers were talking about.

We came here for a weeks stay with my 6 year old son, my husband, my grandmother, mother in law, my 15 year old daughter and her friend. My husband and I searched out everything that was written up as a bad review and could not find anything that was written about. We saw the cleaning staff cleaning the hotel rooms every morning, we also saw them cleaning the lobby and vacuuming the elevators. There are a total of 4 elevators 2 for 2-8 floors and 2 for 9 and above floors. The staff was extremely friendly, the room was clean (I brought my cleaning supplies with me just in case), we had no air conditioning in one of the bedrooms so we stopped at the front desk to let them know and maintenance was up here and fixed the problem in 10 minutes.

My son played in the arcade a few times which is actually in a room off of the ice skating rink, not in the lobby. Although, there was a few pinball machines and a few rides for the younger kids in the bistro lobby as I called it. Our condo was on the 9th floor and even though there was a building there we could still see the ocean and beach very clearly.

We have not tried the restaurant downstairs yet but we will go there on Saturday morning before we check out. I must say that both restaurants that we actually did eat at this week were over priced and you didn't get much selection even at the buffet, which is why you stay in and cook your own food.

We never heard any commotion from other guests and we were always back to the hotel no later than 9:30 p.m. The grille outside looks like something from the tropics, the beach access was great also. My son enjoyed himself at the playground, my daughter and her friend also went ice skating and walked across the street to the mall and they even had computer access so she was able to keep in touch with her friends at home without any time limit.

We hope this review helps someone to book a stay here we have enjoyed ourselves thoroughly and have not seen any of the above complaints. I have already recommended this hotel to friends.

1  Thank KimPhilly_PA
carouselresort, Customer Service at Carousel Resort Hotel & Condominiums, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2009

Thank you so much for staying at The Carousel and taking advantage of all of our amenities. We strive to be a hotel for families and most families that visit us truly enjoy their experience. We have designed the Carousel and all of our amenites to attract families and we are fortunate that customers like you take advantage and truly enjoy all that we have to offer. While we may be one of Ocean City's oldest hotels, we constantly work to upgrade the property, train our staff and create new amenities for families.
Thank you for complimenting our staff and we look forward to your next visit to Ocean City’s favorite family hotel.

Reviewed September 2, 2009

Very very old and dirty....
The carpet in our room was soiled, with brown and black spots in all areas. The three chairs they provide in the room very soiled as well. The sofa very old, when you sat on it, your almost hit the floor.
The shower had no preasure, took a very long time to take a shower.
I will not recommand this hotel. At the price they charge, they require major renovations.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank agkg

We are so very sorry that all of your expectations were not met during your stay. While we have no record of your dissatisfaction during your stay, we constantly upgrade the carpet and furniture in all rooms. Very seldom do we hear a complaint about water pressure in the building so we apologize that it did not meet your expectations.

We do hope that your next trip to Ocean City is more satisfactory for you.

Reviewed August 26, 2009

We paid about $350 a night for a beach front room. It was in front of the beach, alright, but it was also in front of the outdoor bar & grill and outdoor pool. In addition to being old, dated, and a bit dirty, it's also a very LOUD hotel. Walls are flimsy, and the noise from the outdoor areas competes with the noise from the indoor areas (crowded, loud lobby). If you have young children who go to bed before 11 pm (or take naps in the middle of the day), good luck with that. Staff wasn't rude, but they weren't overly friendly, either. The "arcade" in the lobby consists of 3 or 4 small rides and a pinball machine (50 cents a piece). If you're thinking that the Carousel Hotel actually has a real carousel, you'd be wrong. The "carousel" consists of 3 small horses like the kind you find at the mall. Ice rink was a nice little plus, but small (and did I mention loud)? Indoor pool was small and ear-splitting LOUD, the "hot" tub was lukewarm with kids in it. There was just no place to go to get away from the noise, not even in your own room. I get that it's a kid-friendly hotel, but if you're paying $350 a night, you should be able to at least retreat to your room for some small measure of peace and quiet. No such luck. The food and drink were WAY overpriced, which seems to be a theme with this place. Room wasn't very clean - toilet was nasty, bathroom floor had ants. No water pressure in the shower, and if the neighbors flush their toilet while you're in it, watch out. I read the bad reviews, but stayed here anyway. Next time I will learn to trust others' opinions. Will never stay here again.

1  Thank ALB2009

We are so very sorry that all of your expectations were not met during your stay. Most of our guests truly enjoy and comment about how nice our oceanfront rooms are and what a spectacular view they have. Many people enjoy sitting out on their balcony and being able to listen to the live music that we have everyday during the summer in the afternoons.
We are a hotel that caters to families and that probably does make our hotel a little “louder” than most hotels in town. While we do have several small rides for kids in our Atrium, our actual Arcade is located at the south end of the Atrium and does house several games, pinball machines, a pool table and various other activities. We also have our nightly ice show every night in the Summer.

We are very sorry that your stay with us did not meet your expectations and hope that during your next visit to Ocean City you have a wonderful time.

Reviewed August 25, 2009

We stayed at the Carousel August 12-16 as a family reunion. Let me start by saying we had an awesome time. We stayed in the condos and between all of us we had about 5-6 condos and a couple rooms as well.

When you stay in the Carousel you have to remember that the hotel was built in the 1970's, one of the first condo's in condo row on the Ocean City Beach. There are some things that you just can't change in building that is that old. It is not and will never be the same as like the Wynn in Las Vegas that was more recently built. The elevators are old and they break down and yes, there are lines, and yes, I could list a bunch of other things BUT it is a great hotel.

So what's great?
The swimming pool indoors is great. Goes from 3 feet to 5 feet and is very large and not very crowded. The beach was great. Well groomed and clean. The free beach chairs were great. The condo was actually great--clean, great views, great huge balcony. The location was great--had a grocery and a bus stop right outside the hotel. The parking was great--free and had garage parking as well as parking right in front of the hotel. The dishes and accessories in the kitchen are great--one of our condos had some rusted pans and they were immediately replaced with brand new ones as soon as we notified the front desk. There were no bugs in the rooms or any other creepy crawly creatures which was great. Management was able to get us extra sheets and blankets quickly. The airconditioner worked beautifully. The washer and dryer was awesome to have in the condo and worked fine. The htoel was really great.

We had a condo on the 10th floor and the views were phenomenal. The rooms were clean, but yes, I took Lysol and cleaner and disinfected things, moved the couches to vaccuum, rewashed the dishes, because that is just my personality. But they were clean. The microwave was spotless.

The tub in the master did stop up the first day, but we called and maintenance came within a couple minutes and fixed it. Great service. Yes, the waiter accused our family in front of management and security that we shorted them $68 on the bill, which my father in law paid for the second time (and was told that had he not agreed to pay, he would have been arrested), but when the waiter found the money which was paid the first time, he did return the money that my father in law paid the second time and also gave my father in law and mother in law free breakfast that next day. We all make mistakes, right? At least he didn't just pocket the second payment.

The ice skating rink was great. The kids have these little walkers that make it safer. Yes, our daughter fell and gave herself a concussion and a black eye on the ice, but its an ice skating rink. You have to realize there is some sort of risk there if you're not Dorothy Hamill.

The ice skating shows were great too. The night we watched, one of the skaters also fell, ripped her tights and continued to skate with a hole in her tights and a growing spot of bright red blood on her uniform. But you got to give her credit for continuing to skate as she was visibly losing blood. The show was actually really nice.

So did things happen along the way? Yes.
Is the hotel older? Yes
Is is a nice hotel? Yes
Is it worth the money? Yes
Would I stay again? Yes--and I am not a person who stays in Super 8 Hotels or who doesn't travel much. I travel a lot, and have travelled in the US including Hawaii, and Europe, Mexico, Caribbean. I usually stay in Westins, and Hiltons and 5 star resorts. We chose this location to make it more economical for everyone who wanted to attend the family reunion, and we were very pleased. We would definately stay here again. We would even recommend it to our friends. We had a great vacation, and the Carousel staff was very responsive to our needs.

1  Thank Kim A

Thank you so very much for your statement of …
“There are some things that you just can't change in building that is that old. It is not and will never be the same as like the Wynn in Las Vegas that was more recently built. The elevators are old and they break down and yes, there are lines, and yes, I could list a bunch of other things BUT it is a great hotel.”

While we are the oldest hotel in North Ocean City, we do strive to keep the property updated and continue to create new things that families can enjoy together. When you book at the Carousel, as you pointed out, you are not just booking a hotel room but an experience and many activities for the entire family.

We appreciate you recognizing our staff and the great job that they do. We are glad you had a great time and we look forward to seeing you and your family again.

Reviewed August 25, 2009

I was there for 4 days with my family. Upon arriving late in the evening I asked at the desk for a luggage cart. They called security and sent me down a hallway where someone let me into a large room where all the carts were kept. He asked me for my room number which I didn't have. My daughter was finding a parking place and she had the room keys. He gave a long sigh and said "you have to bring it right back to this room when you unload your luggage". And that was the beginning.... My 10 year old granddaughter and I loaded all the luggage ourselves. There are automatic doors to the entrance of the hotel but once inside there are two more doors to get through with the luggage cart that are not automatic. Very difficult to get through.

We get to the room finally, very tired and find the we are in a cave. A very dirty cave. Fourth floor, balcony, overlooking the lobby or ice rink as they call it. The phone had at least a half inch of dust, the bathroom had sand and hair on the door, the little kitchen island had a refrigerator with ice caked on the freezer one inch thick and stains on the rug in front of it. It was so disgusting we were appalled. We were so tired we decided to take care of things in the morning.

In the morning I called the desk and told them the room was dirty. They sent someone up to clean it. When we returned after breakfast at the on site restaurant. (Buffet was not worth it either). Nothing had been cleaned. Called the desk again before we went to the beach. They said they would send someone up. When we got back from the beach, still not cleaned. They told me it was redone twice. I asked to see a manager in the room. They sent Jerome, the head of maintenance. I showed him all the things I was talking about and he had someone clean only what I pointed out. They have no idea how to clean. Believe me when I say I have never complained about a hotel before. This is not what I usually do. It was very dirty.

They also miss the boat on having luggage caddys for the suitcases in the room, no laundry bags, nothing to hang wet bathng suits on. Forget about umbrellas for the beach, you have to pay extra for that, show your room key every time you enter the pool area, you need to sign in too. If you want to get coffee in the morning you can make it yourself or buy it in the lobby. There are no perks at all and the staff is not friendly in the least.

1  Thank beachchicnj
Reviewed August 21, 2009

We booked online for a room with "inside view/or bayview" our view was of the lower roof. Horrible. The rooms are old and have not been updated. The pool is horrible - gated like a prison and no where to sit and lounge to watch children- you have to stay in the gated area with your children unless they are 15 or older. Small pool. DOnt bother with the "free buffet breakfast" horrible!! Elevators are very slow- took steps most of the time. Will not go back- needs major updating- poor layout of the hotel.

1  Thank NewmanMaryland

We are sorry we did not meet your expectations during your recent stay. The Carousel has several different room types: Direct Oceanfront, Ocean Patio, Non-Oceanfront Rooms and Condominiums.

We do not advertise bayview rooms because we would not want to mislead our guests into thinking they have a room overlooking the bay when we are an oceanfront property. Sometimes, third party booking sites create a description that is not accurate which is why we always encourage our guests to call the hotel directly or go to our website to get the best deals and the room type you desire.

Our pool is gated just like every other pool in Ocean City because it is the law. We do have several beach chaise lounges for our guests to use and yes, children under 15 must be accompanied by an adult in order to create a safe environment for you and all other guests.

While we do receive many compliments for our “Kids Eat Free” breakfast buffet, we are sorry that you were not satisfied. We are one of the oldest hotels in Ocean City and while we cannot change the layout of a building that was built over 30 years ago, we take steps every year to update, refurbish and improve on the property.

We truly hope your next visit to Ocean City meets your every expectation.

Reviewed August 21, 2009

my kids 5 &7 years old ,enjoyed the warm indoor pool ,the skating rink,ice show ,,beach access and bouncy house. the 1st rm they gave us had a loud vibratung noise i could not tolerate i get migraines , and nails sticking up from the carpet where the carpet met the bathroom .but they quickly gave us a new room and assured us the room would be recarpeted (didn't want some one else to get hurt ). the new room was clean no problems we only ate breakfast their but it was clean .staff was friendly , they had an outdoor grill which looked and smelled good but we did not eat their . nothing seemd hanously nasty as you guys are making it out to be

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank christina888

We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and that our employees ensured that you were satisfied. We do pride ourselves on being a family hotel and are glad that you took advantage of some of our amenities that no other hotel has. We appreciate your comments and look forward to your next visit.