“Old resort needing an overhaul”

Carousel Resort Hotel & Condominiums
Ranked #34 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
Maryland
“Old resort needing an overhaul”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

This wasn't worth the over blown price I paid for a Saturday night stay in a non-ocean front room. The room was pretty big and the beds comfortable but everything looks old and well worn. The ceiling had water stain and there was awful pipe and water gurgling noise every night and early in the morning. Sometimes, it sounded like there was knocking on the door. Location of the hotel is decent. It's right across from Food Lion and small shopping area. Parking is ample in the adjacent garage. The outdoor and indoor pools were small and nothing special. As I didn't pay for oceanfront, my view was of the tarred roof and nothing else, not even of the city. The toiletry were cheap quality. The wait for the elevators were long, especially during checkout time. There is an small indoor ice skating rink for the kids so that was nice. The beds were decent and they had plenty of pillows so that was something. My siblings rented the condo on 12th floor and that was in even worse shape than my hotel room.

Room Tip: Rooms on 5th floor will see a beautiful view of the tarred roof.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank NatalieMaryland
carouselresort, Manager at Carousel Resort Hotel & Condominiums, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear valued guest, thanks for the review. Our prices are reflected upon our great amenity package and excellent customer experience. We are always upgrading and updating our hotel rooms, amenity package, and common areas every year. This past year we have upgraded our oceanview rooms with new ceilings, paint, carpet, and have upgraded every room with new bed spreads. All of our rooms come furnished with 2 high quality queen beds, flat screen HD TV's with HBO and cable, new bed spreads, kitchenette and full access to the Carousel amenity package. If any of our customers have an issue with the particular room they have checked into, we work hard to accommodate them in any way possible. We do try to explain that some of the standard rooms do not have a view and our oceanfront and oceanview rooms are more money. As a customer staying in a standard view room, you are paying for a clean, comfortable room with access to everything the Carousel has to offer. When you stay at the Carousel, you dont just rent a room, you rent an experience! Thanks for staying with us, we kindly ask you to give us another chance to EARN your business back and show you why we are Ocean City's most popular family resort.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (353)
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed here from Aug 2 to 9th with a family of five so in total there were nine if us. The condo was bright, clean, roomy and had a beautiful view from the ninth floor. Amazing amenities and great food options. The beach was out of this world! Only complaint is the pull out couch. The people who slept on it were miserable. A new mattress would definitely help. Overall, this was an incredible trip. First timers too!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Luvv2travelalot
carouselresort, Manager at Carousel Resort Hotel & Condominiums, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Dear Ocean City traveler, thanks for choosing The Carousel as your beachfront accommodations! We work hard every year to make our customers our number one priority. Customer satisfaction is our main objective and great feedback makes it all worth while! We are definitely looking into replacing any old mattresses during this off season, and we do apologize for any discomfort you may have had. Thanks again for being our guest!
Lutherville Timonium, Maryland
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed at the Carousel for a fifth time while in Ocean City, Md. The employees are efficient and friendly, the environment is clean and colorful, and the restaurant and the outdoor patio grill provided good food and good service. Unfortunately, this most recent time, we had a room overlooking a gray roof with what seemed to hold noisy AC units and it was quite a depressing view. In the A. M. hundreds of seagulls hovered there and screeched loudly, in and around the many puddles. We could hardly wait to leave the room each morning! The room itself was fine, but in the future we will be more careful about what constitutes an acceptable, if not attractive view from the balcony.
BTW, the balcony was inadequate, non-usable, due to the narrowness of it, and it was very dirty on that gray roof. The Carousel is a nice place. Someone in management might want to consider ditching the rooms with the gloomy views~!

Room Tip: Find out specifically what floor and what room number you will have before you arrive, and get this...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cynthia L
Dear valued customer, thanks so much for your review! We do apologize for the roof, we are looking at options on beautifying this portion of our property. These rooms are sold at a price which is just for the room. We were considering the lack of the view in regards to the rate. However, like the entire hotel, we are looking at options to beautify and update every aspect of our operation and we absolutely thank you for your feedback. Thanks again for being our guest, we look forward to having you again during your next beach vacation! If you do not wish to book the standard room, request a bay view room or partial oceanview!
Harvest, Alabama
Reviewed September 3, 2013

My stay at the Carousel Hotel was for 49 days.

The Carousel Hotel had everything I could need for a pleasant stay (Beach access, outside and inside bar, restaurant, free parking and smoking at the outside bar).
The management staff:

I would see the management every day; I would always be greeted with a smile and “How you doing today”!!! I would observe them doing this with other customers as well. This tells me that everyone is important to them, not just the long term stays or condo owners. This kind of professionalism is very important, not many hotel managers do this. Another observation I have is when any of the staff required the assistance of a manager, they were there for them as well without hesitation. You have a very friendly and professional management staff.

Bar Staff:

I spent most of my time outside at the Patio Bar and Grill. They have three of the best bartenders I have seen in a long time. Their knowledge of drinks was very impressive at least. I would very seldom drink the same drink twice; I like to keep my bartenders on their toes. They were very friendly and always smiled. They would greet customers in a very professional manor. If there was an issue with a customer no matter what the problem it would be handled in a courteous/professional manor and never showing negative attitude. Personally if I was come back to Ocean City I would stay at the Carousel because of them.

If the Bar and Grill was over crowed or closed, I would go inside to the Bamboo Lounge. The bartender was a very pleasant. She was always on top of her game serving not only the bar but the tables as well. She would always suggest happy hour food and drink specials that she thought I might like to try, she was right most of the time.

Food Service Staff at the Patio Bar and Grill: I didn’t sit at the tables but every day the staff would say “Hi” and treat me like I was one of THEIR customers. Everyone was very friendly, kind and professional, who could ask for anything more.

Seasons Oceanfront Restaurant:

I stopped in for the breakfast buffet a couple of times. Great food, the eggs were not green or runny and the bacon was always crispy and never burnt. The servers were polite and professional.

Entertainment:

Tim Landers, Dave Sherman, Tommy Edward and New Dawn Duo: I can’t say enough about how great they are. Tim, Dave Tommy and Dawn always make an effort to talk to the guest during breaks and after the last set to make it an even more enjoyable experience. I hope to see all of them next season!!!

As for the rest of the hotel staff I can’t say enough. The maintenance and housekeeping staff I would see when walking down the halls and everyone of them would say hi and smile…. You don’t see that at most hotels. When housekeeping would come to my room they did a great job of cleaning and refreshing the room and bathroom, I know that is not an pleasant job.

I do have some suggestions that I think would make things better:

First, the front desk needs to inform EVERYONE when they check in about the “Room Charge Card”. I was not informed and most guest I talked to were not informed. This made some guest upset that they could not charge food and drinks to their room until they went back to the front desk and got one. This forced some guest to pay cash/CC, I saw a few walk away and not order anything.

Second, most of your sandwiches served at the Patio Bar do not come with chips. Chips are cheep and the guest like them with their food; I know I prefer chips over fries. You are one of the only places I know that don’t serve chips at the outside grills.

Thank you Carousel and your staff for making me feel like I was part of the Carousel family.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear valued guest, thanks so much for the great review and all your kind words! 49 days is probably the longest anyone has stayed with us! We work hard to make sure your vacation/ extended stay is a pleasant one and a great experience. Thank you for your extensive review of our management staff and behind the scenes staff. We will consider your chip advice for next year and we anticipate your arrival for the next 49 days!!! Thanks again for your business, and thank you for your great review!
Seaford, Delaware
Reviewed September 2, 2013

husband and I booked a room for 2 nights in sept and they put us in the atrium , and the noise was unbelievable coming from the ice rink with the loud music. we didn't know the loud music would continue till 10pm and then again come 10am , from what we were told when we complained about it. the ocean front was nice except for this noise so were asked if we could like to go to the bay side and I asked if we had a good view of the bay and was told yes, well we move over to the bay side and cant even see a bay. we were over the parking lot and could see the busy street, no bay in sight. we were not happy with being lied to. we paid a lot of money and we get a view of the parking lot. . so after the first day I have copd and was getting where I couldn't breath good . , I had been in and out of the er for at least 2 weeks prior and we had to leave so I could get home close to my dr and hosp and asked for a refund as the next day hadn't come and they say speak to the manager so the next day I called and she tells me it says no refund, and would not offer any refund at all to us. the room was outdated . needs remodeling lt was outdated. found 2. spiders behind the one bed , when I had to plug something in. we would never go back here. it was nice they moved us but not over the parking lot, for what we paid here. the food was pretty good.but expensive. we feel like we weren't treated right. and no one has even called us to make this right. no refund and I came here to relax and with all of this going on my copd acted up, and they tell me no refund etc.

Room Tip: stay away from the atrium unless you like loud music,
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Ocean City traveler, thanks for choosing the Carousel as your oceanfront accommodations. We understand our atrium rooms may not be for everyone, but the oceanfront rooms are some of the nicest in Ocean City. Our bayview rooms, although not directly on the bay, do have a view of the bay. We are sorry about your medical issues, our policy has always been to give a refund if medical documentation can be provided. If you can provide this, please call us, or email us and we will be happy to look into this further. We are sorry your stay was not exception, we hopey ou give us another opportunity to earn your business back.

Travelers are raving about these Ocean City hotels

Virginia Beach
Reviewed September 1, 2013

This hotel is a great for a cheap family vacation. I've never seen an ice skating ring in the middle of a hotel, but it works and the kids loved it!!!! ($6.00 for hotel guest admin & skate rental). There is a huge pool inside, a smaller pool outside, a bounce house , and ahhhhhh the beach. The crab cake factory is walking distance for the hotel for the best Maryland crab cakes (and they serve breakfast too). The hotel is located away for the hustle and bustle of the boardwalk , but a short drive away if you want to ride some rides or take in all the yummy treats :-)

Room Tip: My room#522 faced the marina such a pretty view
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear valued guest, thanks for choosing the Carousel for your family vacation! We pride ourselves on having the most amenities in Ocean City and offering a superior family vacation experience! We do admit, we are close to a ton of great dining options, not to mention our very own, Seasons Oceanfront Restaurant featuring seafood and steak entrees, daily specials, craft beer selection, discounted happy hour and a great atmosphere. We boast some of the best cuisine in Ocean City. Thanks again for all your kind words, we look forward to having you as our guest again in the future!
Brooklyn, New York, United States
Reviewed September 1, 2013

We have been going to the Carousel since my older daughter was about 2. She is now 13 and we love it just the same as the first time we ever visited there. We now bring along my mother in law every year, and every year without fail, she wakes up on the Saturday we are supposed to leave and begs us to stay another week...LOL!!! The Atrium is great...indoor ice skating rink, ice cream and snack shoppe, music, game room, indoor pool, what more could you want. Throw in the 2 outdoor pools, the poolside bar and grill and the nightly live music and special theme nights and you have the total package. Its just steps from their private tropical lawn complete with lounge chairs, a bounce house and pirate ship for the kids, to the beach. We already picked out our condo for next year.

Room Tip: The regular hotel rooms are nice too. More spacious than you would think. At least the few I saw w...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Richard R
Dear valued long time guest, thanks for choosing The Carousel year after year! We have worked hard to improve and beautify this great oceanfront hotel. Our tropical lawn is a huge hit and the only one of its kind in Ocean City. We continue to be innovative in our customer experience and family activities and hope you had an opportunity to enjoy the many benefits of staying with our hotel. Thanks again for being our guest, and thanks for the great review!