Carousel Resort Hotel & Condominiums
Ranked #36 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
Maryland Heights, Missouri
“ok”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We loved to condo we did not like the lady at the condo office she is out of her mind if it wasent for the lady at the cart desk we would have left that min. as soon as we got away from (RUBY) we had a great stay

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
carouselresort, Manager at Carousel Resort Hotel & Condominiums, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Dear valued guest, thanks for the review! Ruby has been a great asset to the condominium department for quite a few years. We are uncertain as to what issue is in question, therefore we cannot address this specifically. We hope you had an opportunity to enjoy all we have to offer here at The Carousel. We proudly offer the most amenities in Ocean City MD and encourage all of our guests to take full advantage of our accommodations. Thanks again for the review, we look forward to having you as our guest again during your next stay!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (353)
North Bellmore, New York
Reviewed August 19, 2013

My husband & I continue to vacation here. We first started coming when our children were small and since they no longer accompany us on our weekly beach vacation, we still wind up at the Carousel. There are many activities for young people as well as adults. So if you enjoy the beach and all it has to offer the Carousel should be at the top of your list.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear repeat guest, thanks so much for your continued business, and most importantly, thank you for being our guest! We truly hope you had an opportunity to enjoy all the Carousel has to offer, including our free family photo night, nightly ice shows, theme nights, movies on the beach, and more! Thanks again for the great review, we look forward to having you as our guest again in the future!
Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We were here in August of 2011 and found the experience to be just average. We decided to try it again, as we were returning to OCMD and the hotel we chose could not offer a full week's stay. So we started our OC trip with a two night stay at the Carousel.

Just like last time, housekeeping is not very thorough. Last stay, there was a set of keys found on the floor, and this time, there was a toothbrush found right in the middle of the bathroom floor. I can't say the room appeared dirty, but if the toothbrush in the middle of the floor (you literally would step on it as soon as you entered the room, the bathrooms are very small here) could not be picked up, it makes you wonder what other corners are being cut with cleanliness.

Also the same as last time, the ice rink was partially melted. Last time they blamed the humidity. However, it rained during this trip and it was only 70 degrees outside. Still melted, but they offered up the same excuse of humidity, even though there was none. I guess it's just their standard line.

My main complaint this time is the pool attendant. The first day we were there, no issues at all. Second day, the pool attendant told us our children could not use the boogie boards they had. They were purchased at the resort, next to the pool. Several other children had them, but she singled out our children. Initially we put them away, but upon asking why our children had to stop using them but no others did, she said she decided theirs were OK because they were smaller, and our bigger ones were unacceptable to her. We asked if this was a pool rule and she just shrugged her shoulders at us. We allowed our kids to continue using the boards, and a second employee came over to tell us the same thing. We again stated others were using the boards, and a few of them were the same size as the ones we had. Again, no one else was told to stop using them. So we asked for a supervisor to come see us and go over the pool rules with us. She appeared about 10 minutes later, but did not come to speak to us. She walked into the pool area, stood at the door, stared at us, but made no move to come to us.

We were leaving for dinner anyway, so dried off and approached her. She opened the door for us and told us to have a good day. Not a word was spoken about the boards, so I have no idea why the pool attendants were harassing us so badly that day, when not a word was said the day before, and when other children were using the boards.

We liked having the little bistro there so we could get water and snacks for the kids, the pretzels and ice cream were good. We didn't try the restaurant, due to the bad food we got there the last time we stayed here.

So, I stand by my average review of this place. If we were in the area, we'd probably stay again, as the kids like it, but it's nothing special here.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank 1blessedmomma
carouselresort, Manager at Carousel Resort Hotel & Condominiums, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Dear valued guest, thanks for your review. We work hard to give our customers the experience they deserve in Ocean City. We do apologies for the inconvenience due to the inspection of your room, and assure you the comments have been brought up in our meeting with the hotel supervisors.

Our ice rink, when busy, and hot, does tend to melt a bit. We have a full staff on hand to help manage the water on the rink, and keep our guests happy. We did recently replace both compressors under the rink, but, in the middle of Summer, it still proves to be a challenge.

Our apologies about the pool staff, we will re-communicate our policy to them so they may be able to understand how to enforce our regulations. This should have been no inconvenience to you, and we do apologize for this. We do not allow boogie boards in the indoor pool, and there should have been no exception to the other guests, which is where the grey area arose.

We hope you had a chance to enjoy all the Carousel has to offer including free ice shows, free family photo night, free movies on the beach and much much more!
Thanks again for being our guest, we cannot wait to have you again during your next stay in Ocean City MD.
Leonardo, New Jersey
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Couldn't wait to leave. Trip started by checking in and finding a dead mouse in condo. After going down to front desk to complain was told they were sorry and would send maintenance up right away. Left room so kids wouldn't realize situation , came back 4 hours later to same dead mouse. Complained again was told sorry sent maintenance to wrong room. Later as walking through lobby heard another guest complaining about mouse in their room. Spent rest of the day scrubbing kitchen and washing linens because we didn't trust that they were clean ! Had 9th floor oceanview condo. Lovely view of the air conditioning units of the ice rink and the array of bathing suit pieces that had blown off higher balconies! Watched hotel employees walk on the roof, look at the suits and walk away. Would it really kill you to pick them up ! Parking lot is atrocious. Set up that you are driving in various circles just to not find a spot and being sent to parking deck next door. While in lot car window was jimmied and beach chairs stolen from car. Didn't even bother to report this just left early, We booked this because we thought kids would really enjoy ice skating. Ice rink had big puddle in middle where ice was melted and the ice is so riveted it makes it hard to skate. I must add that the night staff at the front desk was much nicer than the day staff. This was noticed when we had to go down to the desk to ask for toilet paper because there was none in the condo. All in all pretty horrible stay. I will be sure to never do it again !

3 Thank Ann-Marie D
Dear concerned guest, we thank you for your stay and apologize for the inconveniences on your family vacation. Our staff washes all the linens after each stay, shampoos carpets that need shampooing, scrub the tiles, fridges, kitchens and bathrooms.

We do offer plenty of parking, and the parking garage is the same distance as many of the spots in the parking lot. Rarely do we receive complaints, and we certainly never hear complaints about stolen beach chairs. We do apologize for this, but must say that we have a full security staff whom walks the grounds day and night, and management on duty whom inspect and walk the floors of the garage.

We work hard to provide the best amenities and customer experience to our guests. We are the largest hotel in Ocean City and are successful due to a superior product and exceptional customer service.

Thank you again for being our guest, we hope your next stay in beautiful Ocean City is a great one.

Travelers are raving about these Ocean City hotels

pennsylvania
Reviewed August 16, 2013

I read ALL the reviews before I called to inquire about availability for our last minute trip to OC. I specifically asked the reservationst about the reviews that said some of the rooms were old and needed updating. He assured me all the room were updated last year. I reserved a suite for the 6 of us for $329 per night which was way more than I wanted to pay but had little to choose from. We arrived at 11:30 on 8/7. I was not thrilled at the look of the place as we drive up. The room was not ready of course. We walked around and let the kids check everything out. The indoor pool was packed as it was raining. There were people everywhere. Went to the store and came back an hour later and the room was ready. It was room #508 and when I entered I nearly fed. The carpet was at least 20 years old - it was Orange! The wallpaper was peeling off the walls. There was no decor, nothing on the walls, no doors or curtains on the closet. The view was horrid, overlooking a dirty rooftop and other people's balconies. I immediately went down to the desk and requested a room change. The girl at the desk, could not have been bothered and told me I could not ditch since they were sold out. I asked to speak to a manager. She went in the back and came out And said she could give me a room on the 4th floor but it was not a suite, this one had 2 doubles and a sofa bed. This was fine as we have two children under 10. This room was much better, the carpet was newer, although very cheap quality, the kitchenette cabinets were newer and it had a more welcoming feel. Not sure why but my husband and I decided to open the sofa bed. Would you believe it was not only broke with huge metal pieces of the frame sticking out but it had only a singe mattress! A singe mattress in a double bed frame!!! Are you kidding me? Back to the front desk I went, back to the same girl with no customer service skills. She smirked when I asked if they were aware that their sofa beds only slept one. I requested a cot and she assured me it would be there when we got back. I had to go back to the desk 2 more times that night to beg for a rollaway and sheets for the singe sofa bed (there weren't any in the room) and towels because of course there were only 4 small ones for our family of 6. I asked for a manager and was told he leaves at 5pm. There is a serious lack of customer service at this hotel and very little consideration for people who work hard so their children can spend some time at the beach. I went on the website to see what the difference in price was for the room we were squished into as opposed to the suite I originally reserved. It was now available for $199!!!! I did go back to the front desk and explain our experience to Jason who was on duty at the time and he quickly offered a large refund. It made me feel better but I would never stay here again. The bar is nice but the staff mediocre at best. The service at the bar and grill was awful. I actually ended up going up to the window and getting food for my kids myself. They would've starved waiting for someone to come serve us. I would not recommend wasting your money staying here. There are tons of their places that would appreciate your business.

Room Tip: Request a room with new carpet and cabinets.
1 Thank finsfan80
Dear guest, thanks for the review, and thank you for your business. All of our oceanfront rooms were updated last year with new bed spreads, carpet, drapes, flat screen TV's, granite, paint, and beds. Our non oceanfront rooms were all upgraded with new bed spreads and flat screen TV's. Regular maintenance is always underway to update certain rooms giving them new carpet, windows, paint, ceilings and more.

Our rooms are not guaranteed for check in until 4pm, but often times they are available sooner, as a courtesy.

We cannot guarantee that our amenities will not be crowded on rainy days and we do apologize for any inconvenience.

Our front desk staff have excellent customer service skills, we only hire staff for the front desk whom have experience and who attend training and orientation.

We are looking into this issue about the mattress, we do apologize, there is no reason why we would put a wrong mattress on a sleeper sofa.

We do have 2 managers on duty every night of the year, to handle requests such as this.

We are sorry your experience was less than exceptional, we hope your next stay in beautiful Ocean City exceeds expectations.
NY
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Review for Carousel Hotel; Ocean City MD - August 13, 2013; Unit 611 (Two Bedroom Condo)
1. First I would just like to say that I would stay here again!
a. Particularly if your children are young (under 14 – although it worked for my teens and adults also).
b. Grounds are small but well kept.
c. For the most part, pretty clean and lots of staff.
i. Don’t use the beach bathroom – needs to be totally gutted and renovated – go inside.
ii. They need a concierge – I found registration/desk staff to be too busy most of the time during the day to answer questions, (or lines were too long and I didn’t want to wait).
d. Not cheap to stay here – look for deals in the middle of winter.
e. Decent amenities..see pool and weight room issues below; nice ice show in the evenings, decent arcade, GREAT family photo night – and it’s free! (We got our Christmas picture for this year this way.) My kids prefer basketball – tennis court is there but doesn’t seem to see much action – would probably be different if they put a basketball hoop at one end. Two free beach chairs is a nice touch. Bouncy house, pirate ship playhouse….check it out – good stuff.
f. There is absolutely no recycling here – not sure if it is just this facility or Ocean City itself but I find this deplorable.
2. Suggestions:
a. They need to upgrade their wireless infrastructure. Tried to log into internet (unfortunately, I actually had to do some work) and this is the message I got:
“Too many subscribers are already logged in. Please try again later.” Fairly unreliable when on also….
b. Pool needs to open much earlier
i. Even if it was just for laps/adults in the mornings (I like to swim for exercise and 10 am is just way to late)
c. Weight room needs to double in size
i. No floor mats for floor work
ii. No space at all for movement or use of current equipment (particularly free weights)
iii. Can be very crowded in the am
iv. Just about time to replace the free weights, (ocean air is tough on equipment)
v. Access should not be limited to over 18, my daughter is in high school, three sports/year..soccer starts in six days and she should be running on the treadmill every day to get ready; basketball coach has had them lifting weights twice/week all summer…she would have liked to have continued.
d. Staff should be instructed not to sit on the cutting board area at the outside grill (next to exterior door). I don’t know if it is actually used as a cutting board but that’s not the point…a minor thing but my husband (he is a chef) notices right away anything having to do with food infractions. (We ate at the inside restaurant on sight and did find more than one stray hair in our food…..we could consider it extra protein but it shouldn’t be there and would seriously gross some people out.)
e. Particular to Unit 611
i. Kitchen is exceptionally poorly stocked:
1. NO hot mits! – This is a safety issue. Electrical outlets/under cabinet lights in the kitchen are non-functioning or unreliable.
2. No baking pan
3. No steak knives
4. Not enough utensils
5. No Tongs, food platter, spoon rest
6. …this list could be very long as to what it doesn’t have – although we don’t expect everything, this unit was really missing some very basic items.
ii. Drawers in Master bath are broken/not functioning properly.
iii. Electric outlet in Master bath pushes into wall when you plug something in…just seems like it would be a safety issue to me.
iv. Dining room chairs need pads on their feet as they make a lot of noise when they’re moved. (Problem if you have someone sleeping on the pull out couch in the living room as we did.)
v. In sink garbage disposal was not working.
vi. Fan in Master Bath works intermittently – probably a wiring problem which I assume is not good; fan also is not strong enough to actually vent the room.
vii. **Be aware that the sixth floor has a view of the roof. They do let you know that the view is impeded upon booking and give you daily maid service due to this, maid service was really nice to have but if you really want the view – do not book the sixth floor. Assume the fifth floor is level with the roof and the seventh may be able to see some beach, but since we didn’t stay on any of the other floors, not really sure.
viii. On your contact page, much easier (for me) if you just provide an email address for us to send emails directly.
ix. Standard between week cleanings should include cleaning out the lint trap of the dryer (which was full of sand and so did not work very well). After the maintenance department came to fix it, it still didn’t work properly.
3. Things to know about Ocean City:
a. Beach entry into the water is very steep:
i. I like to run on the beach…but not here – was afraid I would roll an ankle.
ii. Can make for dangerous boogie boarding or riding the waves as sometimes they get something called “shore breaks” where the waves break really late and will throw you head first into the steep beach entry causing head/neck trauma….sounds worse than it is – you just need to be aware.
iii. Not sure if this is all of ocean city or just in the area of this hotel/condo.
b. Sand is ok and beach is clean.
c. Nice boardwalk – located about 3 miles south of this hotel/condo.
d. Bus available to go up and down Coastal highway if you don’t want to drive, although we had no problem finding parking.
e. Trolley available on the boardwalk itself also.
f. Mini-golf and amusement parks (including water) are in the area.
4. We prefer Myrtle Beach but we are from upstate NY and sometimes we just aren’t up for that long drive…..this was a good second option.

Room Tip: Not sure I would do floors 5, 6, or 7 unless you get a better price - knowing the view is partially...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear valued guest, thank you for your continued business, and thank you for the great review!

Your comments have been noted and we are compiling customer reviews to determine what renovations need to be made in the future.

Typically our front desk staff have several members available to answer any questions you may have about the hotel or Ocean City in general. We are sorry that they may have been to busy to answer your questions but our bellmen are always available for customer service and all have a working knowledge of great restaurants and attractions in the area.

Thanks for the comment on Family Photo Night! Please, Please send us your Christmas card and we will send you something in return! We recently updated our equipment to include a lighting kit, SLR camera, more props and as always, a high energy photographer ready to make you laugh until you cry!

We completely agree about the recycling, we wish we had an option to change this.

Typically, we have never had issues with the wifi, and have never heard of this message. We believe this to be an isolated incident, but we do apologize for the inconvenience.

Your notes about the fitness center have been noted and we will be discussing policy and free weight issues. We recently installed new treadmills, as these are the most popular machines for our clientele.

Your notes on the condo cutlery have also been noted. Our condo inspectors have recently met and are planning on adding this to the check list of things to look for in the condos.

Thanks again for your great, thorough review, we look forward to having you as our guest again! And please don't forget to send us your Christmas Card!
Falls Church, Virginia
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We went to the Carousel 8/9 for a long weekend. The hotel was clean, a wonderful place to take kids, food was excellent, ice shows were fantastic, but most importantly, the staff was courteous and pleasant. I'm surprised at all the negative comments. I consider myself a hotel snob, I have stayed at the Ritz, W, etc...and I knew that this was a family targeted hotel. Our rooms were updated, and clean. Our rooms were cleaned on time, and well. Beds were fine, linens were fine....Look people - it's not the 4 Seasons or Ritz, but it's WAY better than some of the comments I'm reading. I had a wonderful time with my daughter and husband...and you will too. If you have younger kids, this is the place to stay. You will never have "bored" kids. I truly enjoyed my experience at the Carousel, and would absolutely recommend it. The Director of the hotel was very accomodating to us, as was his staff.

Room Tip: If you can afford - get an ocean view room. It was great. They do have live music everday from noo...
3 Thank Nazanin C
Thank you so much for your great review! The Carousel is a historic hotel built in the late 60's early 70's and current management has worked hard to beautify and update not only the rooms and amenities, but the entire experience for our valued guests. In the Summer we offer free ice shows, which featured a 2002 Olympic Competitor, we offer free beach chairs, family photo night, movies on the beach, camp carousel, theme nights and more!

Our hotel is absolutely geared to accommodate families, groups, weddings and anyone who enjoys a great hotel experience. If our customers only want a room, we can definitely provide this, but typically, our customers return year after year because of the great overall experience. Thanks again for being our guest, and thank you for the review!