“Very Nice Place for the Whole Family!!!”

Carousel Resort Hotel & Condominiums
Ranked #39 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
Baltimore, MD
“Very Nice Place for the Whole Family!!!”
Reviewed April 2, 2008

This hotel is very nice. We had an atrium view room and could look over our balcony at the ice skating rink. We could watch our kids skate and relax! The indoor pool is very large and also nice. They have an exercise room that we did not use but did walk through, and it was well equipped and clean. There was a sauna in the locker room and a jacuzzi by the pool....very nice :) . The beach was well maintained and a good distance to the water - to accommodate many sun bathers in the summer! Speaking of summer....there is an outdoor pool (one big and one small) as well as two bar/snack bar areas, plenty of 'deck' space and a nice wooden playground that our 5 year old spent a lot of time in. This is truly a RESORT. You do not have to go outside if it is raining...there is plenty to do! The game room, kids activities, FREE WIRELESS INTERNET, the store, the pool, a sports bar and a fabulous restaurant (Seasons). If you feel a need to go outside (lol) there are shops and restaurants and bars within walking distance and you are always a short drive to even more fun. I will definitely stay here again!!
The hotel is a beach resort, so the sand and salt water are present but the staff works throughout the day to keep up on it. This hotel is clean, well maintained and comfortable. The staff is friendly, accommodating and willing to do whatever it takes to make sure our stay was just right.
One last point I want to write about was the fact that one of the friends we took with us left her glasses in the room. When we got home (3 hour drive) I called the front desk to make them aware that they may be in the bed or under it. They connected me to Security and the gentleman who answered ran 'right up there' to check and said he would call me back. He called in 4 minutes and had them! He wrote my address down on the shipping label while I was on the phone and mailed it that day...I received the glasses in the mail the next day (at no charge)! Just another example of how above and beyond the staff is.

• Liked — Clean, many, many amenities, beach and location!
  • Disliked — Not much.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank rkmemkc
carouselresort, Customer Relations at Carousel Resort Hotel & Condominiums, responded to this review, September 2, 2008
Thank you for your comments. At The Carousel, we strive to give you more than just a hotel room. We are so glad that you took advantage of all of our amenities and found all of them up to or beyond your expectations as most of our guests do.
We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to recognize our staff and for your kind comments about our hotel. We look forward to your return trip with your family.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (366)
Central Virginia
Reviewed March 30, 2008

25 years ago, I worked in Ocean City Maryland during summer breaks from college and the Carousel was an interesting novelty, given the inside ice rink and (then) decent rooms. Sadly, the rooms have seemingly not been upgraded since... here's the detail of the good, bad & the uuuugly:

The Good:

1) The breakfast buffet is very good, with a great selection and enough tables to keep the waiting line moving. At $9.95 (or free for 12 and under) it really can't be beat.

2) The Sports Bar staff is funny and poignant, and they make a decent drink and really good angus beef burger. Price very reasonable

3) The ice rink itself is a bit small, worn, rough and not very well taken care of... but it is unique, it is indoors, and it is only $5 for hotel guest to use. Our kids had a BLAST on it during the weekdays, and also midday on Saturday (when everyone else was on the beach). However, Friday and Sat nights were a crowded nightmare, with local 'expert' high school aged hockey skaters (aged 14 - 16) racing in and out and around the novice skaters (aged 3 to 12 or so) scaring the beegeezers outta them, and pushing them around. Hotel staff was of little help.

4) Beach access right the from the lobby was outstanding! The beach was large and clean.

5) Located at 118th Street, there are tons of restaurants and two movie theatres within 20 blocks or so.

6) Carousel Bistro/Ice Cream Shop - the guy there in the morning makes the BEST Cafe Mocha - seriously. He makes it with a blend of regular chocolate and white chocolate, and it was AWESOME.

The Bad

1) The rooms are really in poor condition, with the beds as hard as a rock and the bathrooms about the size of a typical linen closet (and we had a 'deluxe oceanfront room' with two queen beds). The carpet is that substandard indoor-outdoor matted mess and it showed the stains of the last 2 or 3 decades of use.

2) There are four floors of oceanfront rooms, and they have ONE, very small, very slooooooowwwww elevator to serve them. Trying to get our luggage cart to the front desk to checkout was a pain in the ###.... every time the elevator came, another party was already in it and there was no room for a second luggage cart. There are no ramps to the upper floors either. It took us 20 minutes just to get an empty elevator!

3) The hotel does not have a modern computer system... it took them three tries to make a card pass that would actually work our room door. In addition, unlike most modern hotels, the card pass does not let you charge meals or drinks to your room. You have to go back to the front desk and get the manager to sign a piece of paper that you have to also carry with you everywhere (that's really convenient in a bathing suit, eh...) . Just silly

4) The oceanfront rooms also open (on the interior side) to the Atrium and the ice rink. That's kinda cool, but the walkway around the interior SUCKS!!! It is narrow and built to code used 40 years ago, with a railing that only comes up to my rear end (I'm 6foot 1 inch tall). The first time that I realized that my 9 year old was looking at ice skater four stories down while bending over the rail at his waist... well... I almost ####. The rail needs to be at least 12 inches higher --- BE CAREFUL!!!

The UUUGLY

1) One night, the wind blew above 20 mph (which is not all that uncommon for a beach location). All night long, a roof panel went BANG, BANG, BANG... every 15 or 20 seconds.... sounding (as my 9 year old stated) like someone throwing a table from the fourth floor down onto the ice rink. Yes, every 15 to 20 seconds -- WE HAD NO SLEEP at all that night, and we heard many, many, many people talking about it the next day.

The hotel manager said that there was nothing that they could do about the issue, as it is caused by a roof panel covering the hotel's heat unit's exhaust pipes that does not like strong winds coming from the North to Northwest direction.

I asked the manger why they didn't put that type of entertainment into their marketing materials... and received a blank stare, of course. Was not offered a refund or other restitution for the loss of a night's sleep.

2) Refer to #3 on the good list - the ice rink bullies on Friday and Saturday night were unbelievable. Since the staff did not take action, I did - and directly confronted the youths. Their response prompted a bit of aggression on my part, which subsided when these punks saw hotel uniformed security come over. The unruly kids chilled out but did not leave (as I had hoped they would)... when our skating was over for the night, we did take a circuitous route back to our room to make sure that the punks did not know which room we stayed in.

Yes, it was that uncomfortable.

Bottom line

I would not go there again on a weekend or on any summer night or holiday period, but would go there again with our kids under these circumstances:

a) weekday night during the school year
b) ice rink open & functioning
c) online weekday discount rate of $59.99 still available
d) weather forecast of winds less than 15 mph

If one of those criteria could not be met, it would not be worth the $60.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank TravelFromVirginia
We’re very sorry to hear that your stay did not meet your expectations. Concerning your “Bad and Ugly Comments”, our mattresses are replaced regularly, and we usually get positive comments from our guests that our rooms are more spacious than most in Ocean City. We just replaced the carpeting in our Oceanfront rooms about a year ago and we can assure you that it is not indoor/outdoor carpet but a high quality commercial grade.

While we do only have one elevator for our oceanfront building, it is very rare that we have received complaints that it is not sufficient. We apologize that your key card did not work correctly at first. The reason we do not use key cards as charge cards, is that we have a specific charge card that is issued to each guest if they choose to charge at the hotel. This allows our guests to have more control over what is charged to the room. While all members of your party may need a key, we leave it up to our guests to decide who is allowed charging privileges.

We are very sorry that the wind created a problem for you at night. On occasion, Ocean City does get winds between 40-60 mph in the off season and some mechanical equipment may make noises in most buildings.
Our recreation staff has always done an excellent job in maintaining and controlling the ice rink and we apologize that they did not meet your expectations. Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of your concerns and we hope on your next visit to Ocean City your accommodations exceed your every expectation.

Travelers are raving about these Ocean City hotels

Baltimore
Reviewed March 12, 2008

After booking my mini vacation get away, from the hotel's website at less than a week before the actual stay, I found out that almost all of the amenities (ice rink, indoor pool, fitness room, sauna), and food vendors listed on the web-site were not available during my stay! The amenities listed on their web-site, was the reason for choosing that hotel. I received conflicting excuses from staff as to why this was the case.
They were more concerned over no-fault blame to them, than any concern of the guest. I was given a SMALL refund to my total bill.

Stayed March 2008
1 Thank aquagetaway
We’re sorry that you were disappointed with your stay. There are times when we host conventions and/or social activities and we do have to close some of our amenities. During your stay, we hosted The Parrotheads Mardi Gras celebration which benefits various charitable organizations. It is one of the biggest fundraisers in Ocean City and we are very proud to host it. We do always list on our website when the skating rink will be closed for a convention. We’re sorry that your most recent stay did not exceed your every expectation and hope that you will return in the future and give us another try.
mahopac
Reviewed March 12, 2008

I have two girls, 12 and 14, and every summer my husband and I take them to the shore somewhere on the East Coast. We have been to The Carousel at least five times in the past eight years. We find ourselves coming back again and again because of what a great value it is.
I am immaculate at home and would never stay in a dirty hotel. The hotel is very clean and I don't believe people saw bugs there because i never have. If anything, the sheets, towels, bathroom and floors were always clean and well kept. The furniture is a little dated but never bothers me.
The hotel has clean pools and a restaurant that is convenient . There is a skating rink which my kids love so they can skate on bad weather days. There is also a great bar and grill outside on the beach that we got lunch from most days. The prices were a little high but if you want a bite to eat on the beach, it works.
Overall, I would go back to the Carousel again.

• Liked — ammenities
  • Disliked — nothing bad to report
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank apicellae
Thank you for your comments. We’re so very glad that you took advantage and recognize all of the extra value we give to our guests. We are a family hotel and we strive every year to give you more than just a hotel room. We look forward to having you back at The Carousel.
michelle8898
Reviewed December 2, 2007

Ofter finding this place on the Ocean City, MD website I had decided tobook it. We were going down for my daughters birthday. We went with this place because of the indoor pool and ice skating. We got there and everything went okay with check in. No carts to carry anything to your room so we had to do it all by hand. I also had a 6 months old with me at the time and of course I had tons of things with me. Once we got into the room I started to unpack and feed my 6 month old. When done I went into the bathroom and noticed cockroaches everywhere. My husband caught one and took it to the lobby and informed them that we would be leaving. They didn't care and it took an hour for them to give us our money back. They acted like that is normal. With a 6 month old I was not staying at a place with bugs. All said and done it took us over two weeks to get a full refund and charged me .50 to use the phone to found another place. Do not waste your money. The place is a dump!!

• Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank michelle8898
Pennsylvania, USA
Reviewed November 30, 2007

My nephew got married in October and the reception was held at the Carousel. I will start by saying they did a pretty good job with the reception. The stay at the hotel was a different story.

I booked the hotel over the phone. I had 5 guests total since I was also paying for my mother to have a room. The hotel charged my card for a deposit for both rooms when I booked. When I arrived to check in
on a Friday afternoon the line to check in was rather long. When I finally got to the front desk the problems started.

The person who took my reservation charged a reservation fee for both rooms but only reserved one. The desk clerk than says to the manager
"You know that room we are holding for emergencies, well now we have one".

Then she proceeded to send so many credits and charges to my card that
eventually Mastercard would not accept any more transactions on the card due to excessive activity from this one vendor. I finally gave them my checkcard and had them charge it to my checking account. It actually took them two months to straighten out the charges to the room.

The hotel itself is badly in need of renovation. It looks like everything hasn't been updated in 20-30 years.

We went to the breakfast buffet and for $9 a person they had about 10 items to choose from. What they did have wasn't very good anyway.

Ocean City is way overpriced and not nearly as nice as places like Myrtle Beach anyway. But if you are intent on going to Ocean City you would be advised to stay somewhere other than the Carousel.

• Liked — The wedding reception was there.
  • Disliked — Everything else.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
6 Thank markedman1132
hanover
Reviewed October 13, 2007

My family decided to take a trip to gather our thoughts and re-group after the passing of my Father-in-Law. I went on line and made the reservations on 10/2 and then called in to insure everything would be open for a great stay and was advised of same. We checked in on 10/3 around 11pm and the women at the desk was great, she gave us listings of places that would still deilver to the hotel. That was about the only good thing, the view was great as well from the room. But it was down hill from there. As previously stated I had called to make sure that everything would be open. We get there and the ice rink is closed and the indoor pool is closed. So the next day 10/4 I called down to the front desk and spoke with Sara and she advised that both pools were closed for the day. So very discouraged by this I went to the front desk to voice my concern and disappointment. While waiting in line, Sara was complaining that she never gets any help at the front desk and how she would love to walk out. As well as using profanity and there were children in the line as well. Once I got to the counter I expressed my concerns and Sara advised me that there was nothing she could do, we could leave but that was it. TERRIBLE customer service. And I was not the only one at the counter complaining about the same issues. I have sent an email to the hotel, we shall see what becomes of it.... So not only were we morning a loss we had to deal with the crap from the front desk as well.... Now there was a manager of security that I ran into in the hall way that advised me that the outdoor pool was open all day....which it would have been nice to know from Sara in the beginning...........

• Liked — the person that checked us in on 10/3 at 11pm
  • Disliked — Sara at the front desk and the poor comunication of things being open
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family