“Great for families!”

Carousel Resort Hotel & Condominiums
Ranked #33 of 104 Hotels in Ocean City
Reviewed August 19, 2012

This is an older hotel away from the Boardwalk but right on the ocean. It has lots of amenities - indoor and outdoor pools, a small skating rink, and indoor and outdoor places to eat. We stayed there in July with our 3 teen-aged grandkids and it was perfect for us. It has a small refrigerator, microwave plus coffee maker in each room. Also a few empty cabinets. If you plan to have breakfast and lunch here, you'll need to bring paper products, and plasticware! None are provided! The kids considered this an upscale hotel and it is compared to Comfort Inn level. We mostly stayed there for the beach front location and amenities for the kids. Will return with the kids next summer!

Room Tip: Suites are available. Bayside rooms do view the bay but also the street if that bothers you. No stre...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank beachbums87
carouselresort, Manager at Carousel Resort Hotel & Condominiums, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2012

Dear valued guest, thank you so much for your kind words! We do pride ourselves on being a classic hotel, catering to families, and offering the most amenities and best family experience than any other hotel in Ocean City! We thank you for your review and are looking forward to having you and your family as our guests in the future!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,336)

Reviewed August 15, 2012

I wanted to take a 3 day relaxing vacation , found a room at the Carousel Hotel Ocean city,MD and at first glace, it appeared to to be very nice, After check inn ,went to the elevator, which they took forever to come and you are signed elevators to use to go to your floor. I entered the room to find the thermostat didn't work properly, , WATER DRIPPING FROM CEILING IN THE BATHROOM ( FROM THE AC DUCT) AND MOLD & MILDEW ON THE BATHROOM CEILING AND THE AC VENT. ( Note, this was the last room available). I let a note for housekeeping, they didn't clean the mold & mildew. Contacted maintenance ,they took care of mold at 8:00 pm with a strong chemical.I am allergic to mold and to some cleaning chemicals. Sever breathing problems. Front desk person refused at first to change rooms, I advised her I will leave and refund my cost of the rooms. This is when the front desk person found me another room. No concern about my health , No offer of a refund/ discount .
The new room was just a little better,but when I tried to take a shower ,the spout,shower head and the water valve came out of the wall about 1 1/2".
Went to there gym to do a little work out to find some of the machines not working and dirty.
I really cant' express my true feeling , but lets try.. I am a health care provider and actually care about my patients and the people I work with, more then I say about the Carousel Hotel. When I advised them about my health and my history of reactive airway problems , they acted like they didn't hear me or care.

PLEASE THINK TWICE BEFORE YOU STAY AT THE CAROUSEL HOTEL , OCEAN CITY,MD

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo

Dear valued customer, thank you for your review, were sorry you felt your stay was less than excellent. You had expressed the dis concern with the condensation from the AC duct which apparently had resulted in some mold issues. Mold is a constant battle in Ocean City due to the high humidity in the air and AC condensation close to the ducts. Mold, when treated immediately is an easy fix. We did send a maintenance engineer to handle the issue, and he sprayed the duct with a mixture of bleach and water which kills the mold immediately. If there is more than a few spots, which can't be immediately treated with the solution, then we do take the room out of condition until a professional can come and takes care of the issue. Our front desk staff, and all staff, work very hard to ensure your stays is a pleasant one, and were truly sorry you did not feel this way. We do have employees who wipe down our fitness center every morning and we do apologize if you found it in any other condition than spotless. Thanks for your review, we hope you choose to return to beautiful Ocean City, MD for your next vacation.

Reviewed August 15, 2012

I stayed at the Carousel in the past with my family in the late 80s and early 90s. I was excited to return, until I read the negative reviews on Trip Advisor, and because our recent trip was so fantastic, I am writing my first ever review. I think our stay was nearly perfect. We decided on a short stay because traveled with three young boys ages 6, 5, and 2. We called two days before our trip and booked an ocean front hotel room for two nights. We arrived two hours prior to check in and were quickly given our room keys. We had a perfect unobstructed ocean view and view of the pool from the third floor. The room was dated, but seemed appropriate for the sand, water, and chaos brought into the room by our children. The room was adequate and very clean. The cleaning staff was friendly and did a turn down and straightened the room in the afternoon too. The beach was wonderful The hotel gives you cards for free beach chairs during your stay There are movies and kids activities throughout the day. The kids loved all three pools including a nicely heated indoor pool. They had live entertainment, rides for the kids, and plenty of kid-ready snacks and food. We didn't get to experience everything because there was so much to do. Staff was friendly and helpful. Compared to my experience in the 80s, the Carousel is not exclusive and trendy (but neither am I anymore) and is now a fabulous family oriented ocean front resort.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank CCinPA

Dear valued customer, thanks for bringing your family back to enjoy a piece of your youth, and thanks for the wonderful review! The Carousel's legacy definitely lives on in the families which we cater to(and is not the same hotel as it was in the 80's). We proudly proclaim ourselves as "The best value and the most FUN" because of our many amenities and great rates. Stay tuned in the off season for many promotion for every week of the Summer! Thanks again for being our guest, we can't wait to have you again next time!

Reviewed August 15, 2012

It is a great spot to vacation with the kiddos and family, they could doing much more simplistic, you use a key card and have to carry cash around we're ever you go, no one needs that on there beach trip. They should have wrist bands that open and close the door and everything you get should be charged from the wrist band to your room during your stay. That way it would be convienent for the beach goers.

Room Tip: Make sure you request beach front, little more expensive then non. But worth the view and a bigger r...
1  Thank Stefanie K

Dear valued guest, thanks for the kind review! We are always looking for opportunities to improve our operations and have found our current method to work quite well. Were sorry no one had informed you that you could have had a charge card to bill food, beverage and skating to your room. Next time you can put a credit card on file and never have to worry about carrying cash around! Thanks again for being our guest, we look forward to having you again next time!

Reviewed August 14, 2012

I will admit, I was concerned about some of the reviews I read regarding this hotel but we had a great experience. I have been coming to Ocean City for 30+ years.

Four of us traveled 7/30 thru 8/3 to this hotel. We checked in on a Monday at 1 pm and our room was ready!! The room is large with a nice size fridge, coffee maker and microwave. The extra sink outside the bathroom was very handy. The furniture could use a little updating but that is not a deal breaker for me. The beds were comfortable, carpet newer and our view from bayside 5th floor was quite lovely.

When we first arrived in our room, I thought my fridge seemed warm and called for maintenance and someone arrived in 5 minutes! Turns out it needed to cool down as the maids had been cleaning it. In fact, another man showed up and when I said the first maintenance man had just left he asked if there was anything else he could help with!!

The elevators are new and digital. Never had a problem getting on or off one. They are fast and efficient.

Luggage carts are plentiful and must be checked out. This is a plus as guests would often confiscate the carts the night BEFORE checkout at other hotels and condos I have stayed at.

Both indoor and outdoor pools were clean and towels are provided. The moon bounce and lawn games added to my kids beach fun. Loved that 2 free beach chairs were included each day. ( yes, they are the reclining type.)

The beach bar has good food and the french fries were a hit and a bargain. There is a happy hour each day with live music. We did not take advantage of the daily restaurant specials as they are for the indoor restaurant with the exception of the beach bar-b-que on Wednesday. ( looked good!)

I did use the fitness room several times and found it to be adequate for my needs.

Do not miss the ice show. It is top notch!! The ice skating was fun! Make sure you bring socks and jeans. You will need them for skating.

Honestly, every staff member I encountered from maids tto wait staff to maintenance to the front desk was so helpful and friendly. I have stayed in numerous hotels and condos in OC but this group was very gracious.

AND FINALLY, I LEFT MY CELL PHONE CHARGER IN THE HOTEL ROOM OUTLET. I REALIZED THIS HALF WAY HOME AND CALLED THE HOTEL. I WAS CONNECTED TO SECURITY AND SPOKE WITH HARRY WHO LOCATED MY CHARGER AND SENT IT TO MY HOUSE FREE OF CHARGE. I HAD IT TWO DAYS LATER !!!!! I could have bought another one but my phone is 3 yrs old and I could not buy one for the model.

Thank you Harry!! That truly is service.

We will stay at this hotel again. I am staying at the Coastal Palms ( another hotel in the Carousel group) next week in OC and hope my experience is just as good.

Room Tip: Should you choose an oceanfront HOTEL room, go with the 3rd floor otherwise you cannot see the ocean...
1  Thank summerfun52

Dear valued guest, thanks for your great review! We do work hard to make sure you can check in when you arrive, and often times we can have a room ready. We do only guarantee the room to be ready by 4, but we may sometimes make an exception if a room is available.

Our maintenance staff is one of the most skilled and courteous in Ocean City. We are lucky and proud to have so many compliments on all of our staff!

Thanks again for being our guest. Good luck next week at the Coastal Palms, were sure your going to love your experience!

Reviewed August 14, 2012

I want to start off by saying that some of these reviews are unfair to the Carousel. Our family just returned from an Ocean Front accommodation August 5-9, 2012 and we had NO complaints with the Room or Cleanliness. All the Ocean front view rooms are newly refurbished. Bathroom was very small, but functional. Granite counters in the bathroom and Kitchen. Kitchen, had a mini fridge, microwave, sink and coffee maker. Flat screen TV, Cable and WiFi. It was Very clean, and housekeeping was there everyday. Whatever we asked for we received quickly from housekeeping staff. So saying that, I think when a guest leaves a review they should be specific as to what category they paid for!!! There are rooms that overlook the ice skating rink (that's not my thing, Yuk, tacky !), there are rooms that face the street. These rooms are NOT renovated and therefore are older and are less expensive. There are rooms that are Condominiums and are privately owned! I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think the owner is responsible for the conditions of their Condo! So if it's a Condo you stayed at and not a "hotel' room, reviewers should specify that! I feel strongly that $298 a night for this Ocean view "hotel" room was great considering that there are "dumps" in OC that charge the same. And then there are hotels charging 500 per night for a similar room. I have stayed at the 500 a night hotel and it did have some Pros, but not enough to justify the price difference. Also, many reviewers complain about the long wait to check-in and the slow elevators. First, the section of the building for the Ocean Front hotel rooms, floors 1-4 had NO issues with the Elevators. The slow elevators are on the other side for the Higher floors and the Condos. Check-in had a small line.. it went quickly!

What I liked:

The View in Ocean View Room
The Grounds, beautiful. Loved the palm trees and gardens.
The Pirate Ship. My 3 year old played in it for hours at a time while I sat on a lounge chair overlooking the grass and palm trees.
Beach Access. At first I missed staying on the Boardwalk, but then I didn't miss the "shlep" down to the beach from the Boardwalk hotel... This was great, my older children safely went up and down from the beach to the pool.
The Bar/Grill: Live entertainment daily weather permitting. Great Music playing all day. Fun atmosphere. Burgers and fries were great too!
Staff: Friendly and helpful!
Indoor Pool/Sauna/Spa: Hubby and my teenage girls liked this!

What I didn't like:

The Pool: Small, crowded, water not clear. Pool area is too small. Not enough seating, but you can get a lounge chair below near gardens (loved that spot!) and they need to put a slide or something fun for the kids in the pool area. Maybe make better use out of the area with the baby pool!
Towels: Bring your own beach towels (but they do give you two comp beach chairs!). You can only get towels in pool area and you CAN NOT bring pool towels out, not even down to the lounge chairs by the pirate ship which makes absolutely NO sense!
Ice Skating Rink: now this is a personal thing. Some people would love having an ice skating rink in the lobby of their Hotel... this just wasn't for me! but to each his own!~
The Atrium/Lobby. The railings outside the rooms are way too low, scary with little ones!

Room Tip: Pay for an Ocean front, refurbished room!!!!! Ask for a room on the 3/4 floor in the middle, above...
1  Thank teresa f

Dear valued guest, and returning customer, thank you for your comments and great review. We work hard to make sure your family vacation is one to remember. The Carousel offers more amenities than any other hotel in Ocean City at a price that undercuts the competition. Our non Oceanfront rooms are not completely renovated but they do have fairly new granite, carpet and new flat screen TVs. Our Oceanfront rooms are completely renovated and have been overhauled this past year, they have been regarded as some of the nicest rooms in Ocean City MD.

We are so glad you found your stay to exceed expectations and we look forward to having you as our guest again!

Reviewed August 14, 2012

We checked into the Carousel hotel late, went out for dinner and went to bed upon returning. In the morning when my son got out of bed he stepped on a very large mouse glue pad that was sticking out from under the bed. It stuck to his foot and when trying to remove it, he pulled his skin off his foot. We quickly checked out of the hotel and the management refused to give us any compensation for the nights stay. They could care less and said we probably had soom mice in the hotel and it was put there by the externimator. The hotel is very dirty and i have never seen a large mouse glue pad in a hotel room anywhere. Who wants to pay $300 per night to sleep with mice! Stay away from this hotel.Its disgusting!

Room Tip: Stay away from this hotel that has mice running around and large mouse glue pads around the room.
1  Thank StewiePortJefferson

Dear valued guest, thank you for your comments and review. Were sorry you had an unsatisfactory stay in one of the units. We cannot confirm that this unit was owned by the Carousel(may have been Caldwell banker or a privately rented condo) because we do not use "mouse pads" in our hotel rooms. We do not have any issues with mice and if we did we would call in a professional exterminator to manage the problem instead of using unconventional methods of extermination. Please allow us to prove to you, and your family, that our hotel and condominiums is the right place for your next family vacation. We have many room types ranging from economy standard rooms, to penthouse suites, and beautiful Oceanfront Condominiums(in our rental association, which has higher standards). Thanks again for your comments, we do hope you choose The Carousel for your next family vacation.