“Carousel”

Carousel Resort Hotel & Condominiums
Ranked #35 of 104 Hotels in Ocean City
Reviewed August 15, 2012

It is a great spot to vacation with the kiddos and family, they could doing much more simplistic, you use a key card and have to carry cash around we're ever you go, no one needs that on there beach trip. They should have wrist bands that open and close the door and everything you get should be charged from the wrist band to your room during your stay. That way it would be convienent for the beach goers.

Room Tip: Make sure you request beach front, little more expensive then non. But worth the view and a bigger r...
1  Thank Stefanie K
carouselresort, Manager at Carousel Resort Hotel & Condominiums, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2012

Dear valued guest, thanks for the kind review! We are always looking for opportunities to improve our operations and have found our current method to work quite well. Were sorry no one had informed you that you could have had a charge card to bill food, beverage and skating to your room. Next time you can put a credit card on file and never have to worry about carrying cash around! Thanks again for being our guest, we look forward to having you again next time!

Reviewed August 14, 2012

I will admit, I was concerned about some of the reviews I read regarding this hotel but we had a great experience. I have been coming to Ocean City for 30+ years.

Four of us traveled 7/30 thru 8/3 to this hotel. We checked in on a Monday at 1 pm and our room was ready!! The room is large with a nice size fridge, coffee maker and microwave. The extra sink outside the bathroom was very handy. The furniture could use a little updating but that is not a deal breaker for me. The beds were comfortable, carpet newer and our view from bayside 5th floor was quite lovely.

When we first arrived in our room, I thought my fridge seemed warm and called for maintenance and someone arrived in 5 minutes! Turns out it needed to cool down as the maids had been cleaning it. In fact, another man showed up and when I said the first maintenance man had just left he asked if there was anything else he could help with!!

The elevators are new and digital. Never had a problem getting on or off one. They are fast and efficient.

Luggage carts are plentiful and must be checked out. This is a plus as guests would often confiscate the carts the night BEFORE checkout at other hotels and condos I have stayed at.

Both indoor and outdoor pools were clean and towels are provided. The moon bounce and lawn games added to my kids beach fun. Loved that 2 free beach chairs were included each day. ( yes, they are the reclining type.)

The beach bar has good food and the french fries were a hit and a bargain. There is a happy hour each day with live music. We did not take advantage of the daily restaurant specials as they are for the indoor restaurant with the exception of the beach bar-b-que on Wednesday. ( looked good!)

I did use the fitness room several times and found it to be adequate for my needs.

Do not miss the ice show. It is top notch!! The ice skating was fun! Make sure you bring socks and jeans. You will need them for skating.

Honestly, every staff member I encountered from maids tto wait staff to maintenance to the front desk was so helpful and friendly. I have stayed in numerous hotels and condos in OC but this group was very gracious.

AND FINALLY, I LEFT MY CELL PHONE CHARGER IN THE HOTEL ROOM OUTLET. I REALIZED THIS HALF WAY HOME AND CALLED THE HOTEL. I WAS CONNECTED TO SECURITY AND SPOKE WITH HARRY WHO LOCATED MY CHARGER AND SENT IT TO MY HOUSE FREE OF CHARGE. I HAD IT TWO DAYS LATER !!!!! I could have bought another one but my phone is 3 yrs old and I could not buy one for the model.

Thank you Harry!! That truly is service.

We will stay at this hotel again. I am staying at the Coastal Palms ( another hotel in the Carousel group) next week in OC and hope my experience is just as good.

Room Tip: Should you choose an oceanfront HOTEL room, go with the 3rd floor otherwise you cannot see the ocean...
1  Thank summerfun52

Dear valued guest, thanks for your great review! We do work hard to make sure you can check in when you arrive, and often times we can have a room ready. We do only guarantee the room to be ready by 4, but we may sometimes make an exception if a room is available.

Our maintenance staff is one of the most skilled and courteous in Ocean City. We are lucky and proud to have so many compliments on all of our staff!

Thanks again for being our guest. Good luck next week at the Coastal Palms, were sure your going to love your experience!

Reviewed August 14, 2012

I want to start off by saying that some of these reviews are unfair to the Carousel. Our family just returned from an Ocean Front accommodation August 5-9, 2012 and we had NO complaints with the Room or Cleanliness. All the Ocean front view rooms are newly refurbished. Bathroom was very small, but functional. Granite counters in the bathroom and Kitchen. Kitchen, had a mini fridge, microwave, sink and coffee maker. Flat screen TV, Cable and WiFi. It was Very clean, and housekeeping was there everyday. Whatever we asked for we received quickly from housekeeping staff. So saying that, I think when a guest leaves a review they should be specific as to what category they paid for!!! There are rooms that overlook the ice skating rink (that's not my thing, Yuk, tacky !), there are rooms that face the street. These rooms are NOT renovated and therefore are older and are less expensive. There are rooms that are Condominiums and are privately owned! I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think the owner is responsible for the conditions of their Condo! So if it's a Condo you stayed at and not a "hotel' room, reviewers should specify that! I feel strongly that $298 a night for this Ocean view "hotel" room was great considering that there are "dumps" in OC that charge the same. And then there are hotels charging 500 per night for a similar room. I have stayed at the 500 a night hotel and it did have some Pros, but not enough to justify the price difference. Also, many reviewers complain about the long wait to check-in and the slow elevators. First, the section of the building for the Ocean Front hotel rooms, floors 1-4 had NO issues with the Elevators. The slow elevators are on the other side for the Higher floors and the Condos. Check-in had a small line.. it went quickly!

What I liked:

The View in Ocean View Room
The Grounds, beautiful. Loved the palm trees and gardens.
The Pirate Ship. My 3 year old played in it for hours at a time while I sat on a lounge chair overlooking the grass and palm trees.
Beach Access. At first I missed staying on the Boardwalk, but then I didn't miss the "shlep" down to the beach from the Boardwalk hotel... This was great, my older children safely went up and down from the beach to the pool.
The Bar/Grill: Live entertainment daily weather permitting. Great Music playing all day. Fun atmosphere. Burgers and fries were great too!
Staff: Friendly and helpful!
Indoor Pool/Sauna/Spa: Hubby and my teenage girls liked this!

What I didn't like:

The Pool: Small, crowded, water not clear. Pool area is too small. Not enough seating, but you can get a lounge chair below near gardens (loved that spot!) and they need to put a slide or something fun for the kids in the pool area. Maybe make better use out of the area with the baby pool!
Towels: Bring your own beach towels (but they do give you two comp beach chairs!). You can only get towels in pool area and you CAN NOT bring pool towels out, not even down to the lounge chairs by the pirate ship which makes absolutely NO sense!
Ice Skating Rink: now this is a personal thing. Some people would love having an ice skating rink in the lobby of their Hotel... this just wasn't for me! but to each his own!~
The Atrium/Lobby. The railings outside the rooms are way too low, scary with little ones!

Room Tip: Pay for an Ocean front, refurbished room!!!!! Ask for a room on the 3/4 floor in the middle, above...
1  Thank teresa f

Dear valued guest, and returning customer, thank you for your comments and great review. We work hard to make sure your family vacation is one to remember. The Carousel offers more amenities than any other hotel in Ocean City at a price that undercuts the competition. Our non Oceanfront rooms are not completely renovated but they do have fairly new granite, carpet and new flat screen TVs. Our Oceanfront rooms are completely renovated and have been overhauled this past year, they have been regarded as some of the nicest rooms in Ocean City MD.

We are so glad you found your stay to exceed expectations and we look forward to having you as our guest again!

Reviewed August 14, 2012

We checked into the Carousel hotel late, went out for dinner and went to bed upon returning. In the morning when my son got out of bed he stepped on a very large mouse glue pad that was sticking out from under the bed. It stuck to his foot and when trying to remove it, he pulled his skin off his foot. We quickly checked out of the hotel and the management refused to give us any compensation for the nights stay. They could care less and said we probably had soom mice in the hotel and it was put there by the externimator. The hotel is very dirty and i have never seen a large mouse glue pad in a hotel room anywhere. Who wants to pay $300 per night to sleep with mice! Stay away from this hotel.Its disgusting!

Room Tip: Stay away from this hotel that has mice running around and large mouse glue pads around the room.
1  Thank StewiePortJefferson

Dear valued guest, thank you for your comments and review. Were sorry you had an unsatisfactory stay in one of the units. We cannot confirm that this unit was owned by the Carousel(may have been Caldwell banker or a privately rented condo) because we do not use "mouse pads" in our hotel rooms. We do not have any issues with mice and if we did we would call in a professional exterminator to manage the problem instead of using unconventional methods of extermination. Please allow us to prove to you, and your family, that our hotel and condominiums is the right place for your next family vacation. We have many room types ranging from economy standard rooms, to penthouse suites, and beautiful Oceanfront Condominiums(in our rental association, which has higher standards). Thanks again for your comments, we do hope you choose The Carousel for your next family vacation.

Reviewed August 12, 2012

This hotel was extremely kid friendly, HOWEVER, the rooms were SO outdated, old and not worth the rate. We just got back yesterday and will never stay there again. The food at the restaraunts was sub par. Check in was terrible, the line for the elevators was crazy. Our biggest issue was the DIRTY room, wallpaper peeling etc. Definitely not worth the money. Beach access was nice. Pool was small out doors, but the indoor pool was decent. Will not reccomend this to anyone for a family vacation.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Dear concerned guest, thank you for staying at The Carousel, we are sorry you felt your accommodations were not satisfactory. Our non oceanfront rooms have had new carpet(2010), new granite and new flat screen TVs(2012) while our Oceanfront rooms have been completely renovated(2012) with new beds, bed spreads, drapes, granite, carpet, paint, flat screen TV's, furniture and are some of the nicest rooms in Ocean City. We do keep a slightly lower rate than our competition and do offer more amenities than any other hotel in Ocean City. When you stay at the Carousel you aren't just buying a room, your buying the Carousel experience. The Carousel offers more amenities/activities than any other hotel in Ocean City(and more than most hotels in other resort towns) such as: Movies on the beach, free family photo night, free ice skating shows/ an ice rink, 3 pools, oceanfront restaurant, live entertainment, theme nights, 3 pools, fitness center, spa, sauna, arcade, tennis, moon bounce, pirate ship, patio bar and grill, lounge and a sunbathing area on our lawn. We do offer many discounts and run many promotions in the off season which drops our rate even lower. We want to make sure our guests are happy and get the experience they deserve. We are truly sorry your stay did not exceed expectations, we do hope you choose to stay with us again and allow us to EARN your trust back as a valued guest.

Reviewed August 11, 2012 via mobile

Stayed there last week with a family of 5. I agree with the reviews. The hotel itself has seen its heyday...dated decor and rooms. Everything was clean and functional. (overlooking the peeling wallpaperand rusting ceiling tile in the bathroom).In need of a major renovation. We stayed fifth floor bayside. It is a good family oriented hotel with enough to keep my seven and nine year old busy. We tried the ice skating, but the big puddles on the ice made it tough to enjoy (we were splashing each other...not fun with shorts on).
The pluses: Very helpful and courteous staff, location was convenient, the kids loved the indoor pool, ping pong table, beachfront is ideal
Negatives: dated, SLOW elevators, wifi was crazy slow, my cellphone had ZERO reception in the room
For what we paid, I'm not sure we would return, however,no regrets for this trip.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank CentralPATravelmom

Dear valued guest, thank you for choosing The Carousel for your Family Vacation! We are always striving to improve this classic hotel and have been making many improvements and renovations every year. These past years we focused a lot on our overlook dining area, we've adding free family photo night, new compressors for the ice rink, new tile for our indoor pool and a multitude of upkeep and renovations. In 2012 our direct oceanfront rooms received an overhaul including the addition of new beds, bedspreads, furniture, carpet, paint, flat screen tv's, drapes and granite. Our elevators had been re-furbished since the past few years. During the peak hours( on Saturday 2-5) one can expect minor delays, but the majority of the time we have found the elevators wait time to be minimal. We do have many different room types at three separate hotels and certainly would be able to accommodate your family for your next family vacation. Stay tuned in the off season for specials and promotions to save money on your next family outing.

Thanks again for being our guest, we can't wait to have you back for your next family vacation!

Reviewed August 11, 2012

First let me say the employees at the hotel are very helpful and attend to your every need. With that being said, that is probably the only positive thing we had at first. Check in was horrible. I have never waited in line for over 30 mins to check into a hote and yes I do travel. Once you are checked in, you need to wait for a cart to load your items onto. Then you hae the nightmare of the elevators. You wait in line yet again b/c there are only 4 elevators for this hote. There are 2 that go up to the 11th floor and 2 that go from the 11th floor to the top. Condo 1509 was not as pictured when we had to choose the one we rented. We paid over 2000.00 for the week and had these problems. We had a family of 4 adults and 3 children. We had alotted one set of towels for the week. When I called to ask if it was possible to had more towels I was told to do laundry. The sweeper did not work. With all the sand, we needed to clean the floor and when I called about this, I was told to see if we had a broom and dust pan. The condo itself was dirty. We found garbage behind the sofa, under the sofa and other areas. There was NO toaster. The fridge door did not close b/c the drawers were from another fridge and didn't fit and therefore the door was opened some of the time. The water heater went. Yep we had NO hot water for a period of time. In our bedroom we had a bed that was ok. The sheets and matress pad laid ontop of the matress with no tucking to keep them into place. I felt very uncomfortable laying on a bare matress during the night. Not to mention all the hair on the so called matress pad. YUCK Also, the airconditioner was located outside the door, Therefore you could not let the door opened b/c the hot air would come directly into the room. (there was a screen door on the main door) So if you do not want to do house cleaning on your stay, don't stay in condo 1509.
The staff was great. Especially Jerry at the pool bar. Very friendly and actually all the staff took time to talk with us.
It does not pay to check in early b/c you still need to stand in line for the key. So that isn't an option. There are many activities for kids which is good.
I would suggest looking elsewhere. We spoke with people that have stayed many times and they indicated it depends on the owner. So how do you know if your going to get a nice room or a room like 1509? Not sure we would stay again. Probably not. I might add that I am not a fussy person, especially on vacation. Maybe one of the hotel rooms would be a better choice. DOn't know. Good luck if you have picked this condo. All in all we loved the city. We will return to OCMD in the future.

Room Tip: According to people that have stayed several times, it is a hit or miss for a good condo room. I thi...