“Another good option on the boardwalk.”

Howard Johnson Inn Ocean City Oceanfront
Ranked #42 of 104 Hotels in Ocean City
Reviewed May 1, 2013

My wife and I stayed here the last weekend in April for our annual spring weekend in Ocean City (before the season officially starts and the crowds arrive). Our usual hotels were mostly sold out of good rooms, so I decided we'd try someplace new.

This property is probably slightly better than your average beach hotel, but still not much more than you'd expect from a HoJo. The room was clean enough and had the expected mini-kitchen. The bathroom was very tiny, but did the job. An elevator was great to have since we were on the 5th floor, but the ice machine was all the way down on the ground level, so that was a bit of a pain. (Honestly, there may have been more, but I didn't ask.)

There were plenty of pillows in the room and more towels than we needed, which was nice. The biggest complaint either one of us had was that the beds (two doubles) were very hard. I sleep on my side and found myself turning from side to side in the night to relieve pressure on my shoulder and hips. I've slept on worse, but I've also slept on a lot better.

Despite other reviews warning against it, we ate breakfast in the cafe downstairs and found the food to be very good and the restaurant itself to be clean and comfortable. It was their first day open for the season and they were missing a couple of menu items, but the cook (who I believe was also new this season) nailed my pancakes and my wife's omelet. My biggest gripe here was that they're cash only (there's no real excuse for that these days) and the ATM in the hotel lobby was out of order, which I guess is a bigger complaint against the hotel.

Overall, a solid "average". I would certainly consider staying here again, although it probably wouldn't be my first choice.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WalksSoftly

Reviewed November 5, 2012

We wanted a hotel that was close to the board walk and didn't break the budget, We got it!

Have to say that its not the newest place on the strip but it sure didn't make us sad we stayed there.

We were there the week after Labor Day, the rates were great and there was a nice place for breakfast to start the day.

I guess you could say that there wasn't a bar that was close... or you could say that there wasn't a bar that was close. But the 7/11 is right down the street.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room before you say yes and then take the one you see. Don't be set on having a...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dave H
Reviewed October 10, 2012

1  Thank Frank H
Reviewed October 10, 2012

The room was very nice. We enjoyed what the hotel offered but whatever you do don't eat at the cafe. It was the dirtiest place I have ever been. The roof leaked on a table and no one did anything to try to clean up the puddles of water. There were dead flies all over the place and it was October. The floor was dirty and I could go on and on. The health department really needs to close them down.

2  Thank Gary T
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I thought that the cleanliness of the room was extremely poor. There were cheerios and other food underneath the beds that was easily seen. I also thought the hotel was overpriced for the condition of the rooms.

2  Thank Ursula H
Reviewed October 9, 2012

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Great location, but for off season, rate was a little high, room was quite small. In house restaurant was closed for duration of our stay, which was an inconveinience. Could not imagine staying there in season, as I imagine rates would be through the roof, and not worth the price paid.