Dunes Court
Holiday Inn Express Ocean City(Ocean City)(Great Value!)
$155
HIExpress.com
Grand Hotel & Spa(Ocean City)(Great Value!)
$159
Dunes Manor Hotel, Court & Suites(Ocean City)(Great Value!)
$146
$199
ClarionHotels
$176
$190
$171
Atlantic Oceanfront Inn(Ocean City)(Great Value!)
$149
$318
Princess Royale Resort(Ocean City)(Great Value!)
$219
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Ocean City(Ocean City)(Great Value!)
$389
All reviewsocean frontroom was cleanquiet endtwo double bedseach morningcoffee potwater pressurethird floornice staysenior weekcleaning staffmotelboardwalkbalconyratesmicrowavesand
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We are a family with two teenagers. We visit OC every year in July because the kids like it. As adults, we'd much rather spend probably the same amount of money and rent a beach house somewhere along the Atlantic which would afford much more privacy, space and peace and quiet. But the kids like OC so that's where we take them. Once they are grown and gone, we can move on to a better vacation place.

That said ..... the OCEANFRONT BUILDING of the Dunes Motel is where my family has been staying for many years. We know it to be safe and clean, even though a bit outdated and the location is great. So that's why we return. Every year I look around for something else, but always come back to The Dunes Motel.

It's got an excellent location, at the end of the boardwalk on 27th Street. We always stay in the Oceanfront building because those poolside rooms look like a nightmare with noise from the pool and that ever-slamming pool gate. More space in the oceanfront building units but they are more pricey. We get a first floor patio apartment and it's great for lugging your beach stuff and for the teenagers. If you have little kids, the courtyard is fenced in but things from the units above always end up in your grass so you'll have to clean up before the little ones go out there. Cig buts, cups, whatever.

This is a horrible place to be in the month of June because of the high school graduates so don't go there. Also know that this is a motel building so you will hear your neighbors all around you. Don't expect any privacy.

Also, there's a kitchenette but no dishwasher. I never use anything I can't run thru a dishwasher first so I bring my own styro plates, cups and flatware AND my own frying pan if I wanna cook eggs. I never use anything left in a hotel unless I can sanitize it first.

I have noticed something about OC in general - 20 years ago the Mayor cleaned up the town and it became very family friendly, but this has slowly changed somewhat in the last 5 years and the strict rules regarding activity and noise are lax a bit. I hope I don't have to return to OC again but if I do, I'll stay at the dunes.

Room Tip: Don't pay for the poolside rooms because they are crowded and lots of noise from the pool. If you must stay poolside, pick a room that's top floor and deal with steps and beware that the clanging of the pool gate is very loud.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank lasoul
Reviewed July 4, 2013

My husband and I have stayed at the dunes motel (ocean-front AND pool-side) 4 times since 2008. The first two times were both in the pool-side motel; we were a bit younger then and really didn't have any complaints about our stay. I don't know if it is the fact that we've matured a bit since 2008/2009 (we're still under 30), or if our stay on the first floor really was THAT bad... but I have a few gripes to discuss.

We were put on the first floor. At first I was kind of happy because we didn't have to pack our luggage/beach gear up and down the steps during our stay. That feeling of happiness wore off quickly. Our room was catercorner from the pool's gated entrance: not good. For 5 days, from the time the pool opened until the pool closed, all we heard was the gate being slammed. I'm not one to complain about minor issues, and this may not have been an annoyance if we could've easily blocked the sound out with the TV and air conditioner, BUT neither strategy worked! We would lay down for a catnap after sitting on the beach for hours and be woken up by a SLAM every couple of minutes. We did not have this issue when staying on the second floor in our prior stays in this motel.

Next, and this is something that has been an issue for us during prior stays in the building -you can hear EVERY step that the person above you takes. From sunrise to sundown we could hear the people above us moving around. I don't know WHAT they were doing in such a small space that required them to take so many steps per day, but coupled with the slamming gate outside... it was enough to drive us insane. Thank goodness we weren't in our room TOO much because there's so much to do/see in OCMD- but it made the time that we were in the room pretty unbearable.

Then, our noisy neighbors decided to check in a few doors down. They thought they were entitled to stay out all night while blasting music, drinking, and letting their children run all over the motel grounds. NO, not okay with us. We paid just as much money as you did to stay here- we called the motel front desk to put in a noise complaint. Their response was "we'll see what we can do." They sent someone out and the noise died down for, oh about 5 minutes, before they were being loud and rude again. Again, if our TV and air unit could cover the sounds then this wouldn't be an issue- but the combination of both still couldn't cover them up! So, my husband called the front desk ,again, and said that the same situation was going on- "oh, well we told them to pack it up and go inside." Okay, just because you TELL someone to do something doesn't mean they're going to actually do it. These things need to be followed up on. It was after midnight and I know that many other people in the motel had to have heard the noise. My question is why isn't there a "quiet time", where you have to SHUT UP after 11 or 12? AND why was it such an issue to confront these people?

Lastly, as I was checking out I noticed that they were having computer issues in the main office. This didn't affect me in any way, as I was just turning in my room key before departure. While waiting... the lady at the main desk and one of the workers had a little squall about the technology, to the point where the lady was borderline yelling at him while rolling her eyes and throwing her hands up. What you want to do behind closed doors is fine with me- I know we don't always get along with our co-workers. It just bothered me that they were fine with acting this way in front of CUSTOMERS without even flinching. As I walked out the door, the lady didn't even say goodbye or thank me for staying with them; she simply handed me my receipt and went on with her lecture about how the kid was shutting the computer down wrong.

I used to LOVE the dunes, but after this stay I will question whether or not if I stay with them again. If we do, it will either have to be in the ocean side motel OR we will have to request a higher floor- away from the pool's entrance, but the whole argument before we left really turned me off and will be the big factor when choosing where we stay for our next visit.

To those of you who have never been here and are thinking about booking: it isn't the Hilton. The rooms are clean, but not sparkling clean from floor to ceiling. The bathroom is quite small, the fridge/microwave are adequate. We are fine with bare minimum as far as luxury goes- as long as it is clean. We have no complaints about any of the things I just mentioned. The main complaints that I have are concerning management and sound issues. When I was 19/20, maybe I overlooked these things.. or maybe we just had a very unlucky year at the dunes. I don't know- but they are definitely things to consider before you spend 1,000+ on your vacation! If I wanted to be annoyed by people above me/around me, I would've stayed at my apartment in college for a few more years!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank cking2007
Vicki M, General Manager at Dunes Court, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2013

Thank you for your review. I apologize for the noise problems you experienced being close to the pool gate, and by your neighbors. I have shared and reviewed your comments with both the front desk staff and security personnel. When making your reservation, please request a higher floor. Thank you for your past patronage and I hope that we will have another opportunity to have you visit again.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights june 2013. Place was clean the help and front desk was great but the shoe box bath room was just too little to move around. No place to put your make up bag or shaving kit. And they do not provide you with shampoo. You have to request a hair dryer, iron, ironing board as this is not supplied in your room. We decided to check out the hotel which was recently renovated. It was beautiful but so was the cost of the rooms. I guess you get what you pay for. It is just ashame they don't pay more attention to the motel because in my opinion the motel is in a better location. I don't think we will stay here again I need a bigger bath room this was just too small by the time you are done showering and blow drying your hair you feel like you need to take another shower. This is my only complaint except the kitchen area needs more counter space. The room is big enough that they could of easily accmmodate these problems.

Room Tip: We were on fourth floor. If you are a smoker you need the fifth floor. This is the only floor that you can smoke in room and on balcony.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank yucon4
Reviewed June 30, 2013

For a great location at a reasonable cost, you can't beat The Dunes Motel. We stayed in an oceanfront efficiency on the 4th floor. The room was spacious enough to accommodate our family of 5, and we were able to use the kitchenette to save on dinner one night and to cook several lunches. The kitchenette was equipped with a decent set of pots and pans as well as a larger knife, silverware, cups, plates and glasses. Rooms were quiet and clean. Yes, there is an older TV, but who cares? I am fine with an old TV as long as it keeps their rates down at the Dunes. I thought the bathroom space was fine. There is a cabinet under the sink which I used to store my toiletries. Balcony is a nice size compared to some of the other beachfront balconies in the area. My kids enjoyed the pool, which was always clean. We visited their sister property the Dunes Manor to use the indoor pool and for the complimentary tea time. Both were nice. From staying in different spots in OC, I really think the Dunes is the best location. So nice to be right at the quiet end of the boardwalk. Bike rentals in the morning right next door. The tram station is also right next door. We also enjoyed watching the movie on the beach, and watching the "Family Olympics" competition right from our balcony. Many restaurants and shops in walking distance. My kids all agreed that this was their favorite motel in Ocean City,

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank czang76

Thank you for your review. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your oceanfront efficiency. Thank you for staying with us!

Reviewed June 18, 2013

I stayed here with my husband for a long weekend April 2013. This is considered the off season so it wasn't crowded at all. We knew it was a 'motel' going in however, we were pleasantly surprised. We had a second floor room with a private balcony and an amazing ocean view!

The bathroom was modest but the kitchenette more than made up for it! With fully stocked cabinets (dishes, cutlery, and pots), a micro-stove, a microwave, a coffee maker, and a full size refrigerator you wouldn't even need to eat out if you didn't want to! We also had a nice table and chairs as well as a sofa.

The location is wonderful! You are right at the end of the boardwalk. Admittedly you have to walk a bit up farther to get to the food and shops. The inlet is all the way at the other end but we walked the boardwalk back and forth several times (it's only about 2 1/2 miles one way). There is beach access right outside the motel as well (and the beaches here are free).

It's only a few minutes by car to grocery stores as well as many restaurants and activities in the area. I think it took us about 15 minutes to get to Assateague beach by car. Another wonderful perk is that as a guest at the motel you actually are able to use all the amenities of the manor as well. We used the pool and hot tub, my husband used the gym, and the restaurant looked lovely but we did not eat there.

The staff were pleasant and helpful. We arrived about an hour early and they checked us right in with no issue (our room was ready). When checking out I made an inquiry about what the downstairs rooms were like inside (they have gated in 'back yard' areas instead of balconies). The clerk actually gave me room keys to empty rooms so I could see what they were like for next time.

Next time we head back to Ocean City we will definitely be staying at The Dunes Motel again!

Room Tip: If you have small kids a downstairs room might be nice for them to play outside in a gated area!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank xvMOMOvx
Vicki M, General Manager at Dunes Court, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2013

Thank you for your review! I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and will be returning!