“Meh minus”

Dunes Court
Ranked #50 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
“Meh minus”
Reviewed October 13, 2011

Maybe my problem is that I was comparing it to a motel I stayed at right before (which received lower reviews but was FAR superior), but was quite disappointed with The Dunes motel.

Visit started off badly from the start - filthy bathtub with a "teenage" roach lounging in it (see portrait). First things first - immediate trip to drugstore to purchase flip-flops to shower in. Had Lysol with me and used it EVERYWHERE.

Rooms are very dated but good size and well-appointed. Great balcony with FABULOUS view (aside from some off-season boardwalk construction, which is not the motel's fault). Surf so close, you feel like you can touch it.

Great kitchennette with all one may need.

Sheets and towels were clean.

Not happy with maid service. Yes, they vacuumed. But returned to hair all over sink, tub and toilet. Sure, it's MY hair. I'm shedding. But I expect the maid to clean it before she takes the generous tip I left her. Kinda the point of a maid. To clean your bathroom.

It beats being at work. But will stay elsewhere next time.

• Stayed October 2011
4 Thank CoolYule

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Bowie, MD
Reviewed September 23, 2011

I went to The Dunes Motel for a 2-night trip to Ocean City for my birthday with my boyfriend on 9/18/11 and 9/19/11. I secured and paid for the room online in advance through their reservation wizard. The Dunes offered great rates for this time of the year. I was very impressed with the room (clean, cable TV, phone, small refrigerator and microwave), the service (friendly clerks, free coffee, tea and ice 24 hours a day in the lobby) and especially the location on 27th Street right off the boardwalk on ocean block. Even though it wasn't ocean front, it was definitely ocean view out the back window of our room (there is also the Dunes Manor Hotel, which is in front of the motel we stayed in). Loved it! Can't wait to go back again!

Room Tip: Do not get the Dunes Motel (white with turquoise trim) mixed up with the Dunes Manor Hotel (peach/ma...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Pam L
North Carolina
Reviewed September 13, 2011

I have been staying at The Dunes every summer for many years. There's a reason we keep returning - location, location, location. It's at the end of the boardwalk at 27th Street and it sits right on the beach.

We always stay in the OCEANFRONT BUILDING (not the motel itself) and always stay in the first floor patio apartment. Note: There is a sand dune in front of the building and the first floor units can not view the beach/ocean. However, we find that the convenience of the first floor is wonderful. Every first floor unit has it's own grassy area/patio and they're individually fenced. When you leave the beach, you bring your chairs right to your patio, and don't have to drag them inside your unit to the balcony.

The furnishings are typical beachy furnishings. Nothing modern. The efficiency kitchen area is nothing to brag about but everything is very clean. Dishes, flatware and some glasses are supplied but I never use anything I can't run thru the dishwasher first. And I always bring my own frying pan because people are so unkind to stainless steel cookware.

The Dunes offers daily maid service and they do a good job and I've never had any issues with things stolen (but I do hide my valuables).

We went in mid-July when the weather is hot and the ocean temps are bearable. I do NOT recommend this property in the month of June because it's taken over by graduated high school seniors and they are very obnoxious - and they love The Dunes because it's cheap.

I always have at least one issue with our key card. This last trip I had three within 12 hours. Very frustrating but what can you do, not like it's really anyone's fault. Sometimes a key would be better.

I highly recommend The Dunes. I wish it was just a little more on the boardwalk, like at 16th St. but the higher you go up that boardwalk, the pricier things are and the more crowded the beach is.

Room Tip: If you wanna see the beach/ocean, book in the Oceanfront Building (2nd floor and up). Remember, the...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank lasoul
Norristown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 7, 2011

This was my family's first trip to Ocean City Maryland. The Dunes' Motel did not disappoint. The room was clean and smelling fresh as soon as we walked in. There were no issues at check-in. The process was courteous, quick and professional. Our rooms were cleaned daily and all the staff greeted you with a friendly smile and hello. The only problem is it was four of us and we had a standard room...two double beds. It worked out but next time we will book a oceanfront suite at either the motel or the hotel. We couldn't get the oceanfront becase the motel was sold out of them. The staff however told us on numerous occassions we had full access to the hotel and all of their amenities. This was AWESOME vacation!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank TB610
Alpha, New Jersey
Reviewed August 26, 2011

We chose this motel based on other reviews and we certainly weren't disappointed! We arrived before our room was ready, but were given a parking pass right away. When we did get to our room (we had the oceanfront efficiency) the first thing we noticed was the clean, clean smell of the room. There was ample space for us and our two kids (11 years and 9 months). The room was very clean as was the bathroom. The beds were comfortable with clean, crisp sheets. The location was fantastic...being at the very end of the boardwalk and across the street from Jolly Roger, it was very convenient to just about everything, yet much quieter and less crowded than the hotels further up the boardwalk. The pool was small yet clean and never got too crowded. The employees were exceptionally nice at the front desk. We're already planning on coming down again next summer...and we will be staying at the Dunes!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank alphamomof2
Mundelein, Illinois
Reviewed August 24, 2011

I was very pleased with the Dunes Motel. I did plenty of research looking for a hotel/motel. I read many reviews and it seemed like this one had the most positive responses so that is why I chose it and very happy I did. The room was clean and didn't seem small to us (3 adults and 2 children). The shower had great water pressure which you usually don't find in a hotel/motel. We stayed in room 418 and never closed the blinds....didn't want to miss the great view! It was wonderful to have the beach and the tram right outside our door with 2 small children. The only thing that I didn't like was the parking. It was so cramped with limited spaces. But that wouldn't stop me from staying there again. I hope to go back next summer!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Vacation0807
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 18, 2011

Did not have high expectations. Very pleased with oceanview corner room. Boardwalk began outside our window. Nice for older kiss to skateboard, ride bikes in the morning. Room clean. Made service daily. The oceanview rooms DOES have an elevator in the bldg for the 5 floors. Great location to get the tram down the boardwalk. Walking distance to amusement park & go-carts. Parking not a problem. Close beach access. Would recommend.

• Stayed August 2011