“Shady Business”

Lambros and Hampton House Hotel Apartments
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ocean City
Lambros and Hampton House Hotel Apartments
Ranked #10 of 18 Ocean City B&B and Inns
Jackson, New Jersey
“Shady Business”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2012

I made a family reservation with Ida on August 14, 2012 for August 19 check-in date. She took my personal information (including phone number) and credit card information but assured me that my card will not be billed since they would prefer payment in cash or cashier's check upon arrival. When asked to provide confirmation, she told me to submit the reservation form online and they will reply with confirmation. The following day I tried numerous times to reach L&H to confirm that my reservation form was received. When Ida finally answered my call, she told me that the apartment that I had booked was given to someone else because my reservation information was incomplete. Let it be known that Ida of L&H had taken my cell phone number which I have in my possession at all times. She never contacted me, either by email or phone. I also had a booking at the Clarion at Fountainbleu, which I cancelled because she assured me that we had a booking at L&H on the boardwalk. So now my vacation is ruined because we have no lodging because all other hotels/condos are completely sold out. Doing business with Lambros and Hampton is risky business. Anyone planning to stay at L&H better BEWARE!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Saige S

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2012

Great stay again at the end of July, just my husband & I + Mom & Dad at the Hampton House (the red house from 1940). I thought it was worth it to write another review, though I wrote one last year. It's still the only place we want to be...there is nothing like stepping onto your private porch (if you book certain rooms) and being ON the boardwalk & just feet from the sand! That's our favorite part. Our unit is on the ground floor with a private porch--I do mean that no one enters/exits but you or your guests.

I did notice this year that the laundry room was locked up, but I never asked about it because I was too busy at the beach to think of laundering!!

Our 2 BR/1 BA w/ kitchen & sofa area unit was awesome again! It was super duper clean this year as soon as we walked in--they did a great job preparing the place. Also noticed new appliances :). The A/C kept us comfy the entire time & you can control it in more than one place in the unit which is a plus.

There is no swimming pool (beach is right there, who needs it), and no fitness center who needs that either, bike/run on the boardwalk, swim in the ocean--that's what we did every day!!

I'd recommend the Hampton House (ask for the old red building) again for the location & beach access. It's also very convenient to get to either end of the boardwalk for any other activities you want to participate it. This is an historic property...it's not a modern building, but go here to relax & expect not to be pampered by overbearing staff. To me, that is a great way to enjoy a vacation.

Room Tip: Please don't expect daily maid service, but do expect staff who are there daily to assist with t...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank kimmiebrite
Secretary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2012

My family and I stayed at the Hampton House June 23-July 1, 2012. We had a really great experience staying here. The owner and staff were very nice and attended to our every need. We sat out on the beautiful patio almost every night and enjoyed watching the folks walking the boardwalk. Stores and food are a stone's throw away, Dunkin Donuts is right next door. Play equipment is almost directly in front of the place for the kids to play on. We also visited the pool out back which has a really cool bar/grill. Just a few minutes walk and we were at the inlet riding rides and hitting the arcades. I don't think I'll be able to stay anywhere else but the Hampton House!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Tina C
Vienna, Virginia, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2012

I made this reservation rather last minute. I was told on the phone that the air show would begin directly in front of the Hampton House but it was really 10 blocks down the beach. OK, that's not so bad, I could have done more research on my own for that. Next the owner described the room to me and made it sound wonderful. She said there ws a separate kitchen, dining, living room and bedroom on the only room she had left, this and that had been remodeled, things replaced. We got there late and they are on the premises so this orked out good. Old houses can e very charming but this room was worn out, dated and mismatched. Yes it was more of a room than a kitchen dining and living room. One of the pull out sofa's was in the kitchen and it was vinyl cover and horribly uncomfortable. Crappy furniture that my kids couldn't even sleep on. The other was in the bedroom/living room area and that was very uncomfortable too. Cushions were misshaped and didn't stay in place. The bathroom was very old and not kept up well. Mildew on the shower. The door to the bathroom was so warped it would not close. There was a three inch gap in the door when we pushed as hard as we could to get it shut. The extra blanket in the closet smelled like it had been urinated on. Seriously, couldn't use it. The owner seemed very sweet and she apparently grew up at this this location but she is less than honest. I hated to complain about her "home" but I had to. She had an excuse for everything. She said they had remodelled the other units and the one we were in would be done by "the next time we came". I could never stay at this place again. We managed to stay two nights but my kids still refer to this place when they want to indicate something is old and worn out.

Room Tip: I doubt there are any good rooms.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Margaret S

Travelers are raving about these Ocean City hotels

Woodbridge, Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2011

Don't even think about it..this place was so horrible..after reading these reviews I want to know exactly where these people stayed couldn't have been Lambros and Hampton House Hotel Apts. My boyfriend did the research to find a last minute hotel for our OC trip and came across a good place from the reviews he read; but God help us..once we arrived I thought I was living on the Titanic on the Poor people side..this place was horrible..we walked in and we both were scratching our skin, the place was smelly and old..from the price we paid we thought we were getting a luxury apartment. Worst experience ever!! We even took a shower in our swim shoes and still today our skin isn't still right! If you do consider this place "BE CAUTION" - please take some Lysol, Bed bugs spray, a fluorescent light to scan the bed and sheets - Oh yeah..take your everyday products with you (BODY WASH, SHAMPOO, etc) you will need them..Just bring your whole house along with you will need it; but furthermore our trip was AWESOME! YOU MUST RIDE THE JET SKIs and check out everything the Boardwalk has to offer..if it wasn't for these awesome adventures we would've had a bad trip..it was just a place to lay our heads - so you know we tried to stay away much as possible! It's not worth the money! Oh yeah one more other thing - parking was horrible
- you have to park two streets over from the Lambros and Hampton House Hotel Apartments - Not good at all! Also, from the pictures on the website page (what a cozy & warm feeling) - Question: Where are these apartments? Nowhere close to what we experience! Yeah, we got the leftovers and this place should have been FREE! No pets are allowed; but I glad because I wouldn't let my pet stay here! The worst hotel experience ever!!!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jamar R
Royersford, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2011

Short Description: Half of balance must be paid in CASH! No HOT WATER for entire stay.

Longer Explanation: When I made the phone reservation I was told a security deposit of $75 cash was be made upon arrival and would be returned at checkout barring no major damage was done. That seemed reasonable. I was also told half of my balance was to be paid over the phone via my credit card and the rest was be paid upon arrival. A few hours after I reserved my room I received an email confirmation. The confirmation stated that not only must I pay $75 cash, but I MUST pay the remainder of my balance in CASH upon arrival. I wanted to cancel my reservation completely after seeing this but the confirmation also stated there was a $150 fee for cancelled reservations.

We had a late check-in, 10 pm Friday night. We were shown to our room. My first impression was it was a dump. It was furnished with old thrift store furniture and had a sink with separate hot and cold spigots. There was mildew on the shower curtain and paint peeling around the pipes for the claw foot tub.

Saturday morning I went to take a shower and found that there was no hot water. I proceeded to take a fast cold shower. We promptly went to the office and asked about the hot water. The manager told us the problem happened late last night (we never did get a straight answer as to if she knew about it before we checked in, we suspect she did). We were told as soon as there was more information we would be notified and the problem would be fixed ASAP. We heard nothing, so late Saturday afternoon we asked about the progress and the manager told us that the broken part of the hot water heater would be in on Monday and it will be fixed on Monday. We were also told a shower in the neighboring building would be available for hot showers.

On Sunday we spoke to the manager again and asked about our options about leaving or receiving a discount for our inconvenience. She said we could receive $75 refund or $125 credit for our next visit, or we were free to find another hotel and be refunded that portion of money. We decided to stay since the hot water was supposed to be fixed the next day and a $75 refund was decent. $75 would work out to $25/day discount if the hot water would be fixed on Monday.

Monday came and went, Tuesday came and went still no hot water.

We checked out on Wednesday morning. I had planned to negotiate for more money since we never had hot water during the entire five days. Well Wednesday morning the manager was not there and none of the clerks were allowed to negotiate with us. I asked if she was available on the phone and they said they would call her. They came back and said we agreed with the original discount and there was nothing they would do. When we tried to explain how we were lead to believe it would be fixed they said that the main boiler had broken and it was a major repair. Up until this point we had been lead to think it was a small part not the main boiler. When we started to tell them this fact, they refused to listen and told us everyone was notified by phone before they checked in about the water situation. We said that we were told it happen late Friday night and we were told nothing about the hot water not working when we checked in. The clerk just throw up her hands and walked away. We did get our $75 refund and the $75 deposit back. We will never stay at Lambros and Hampton House again.

Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Erin S
Columbia, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2011

Honestly, the horrible reviews on this place are a bit misleading. To reiterate the subject line of this post, accept Lambros & Hampton House for what it is, a quaint hotel spot out of the Old Ocean City area. You're NOT going to have wifi, a big flat screen television with pay-per-view options, an exercise room or the kind of maid service you will find at the Hilton. We stayed in the Lambros building and our parents stayed in the Hampton House -- which, yes, is nicer, but is also nearly a thousand dollars more, so it was deservedly so.

The furniture in our apartment -- 3rd floor, Lambros building -- is straight out of the 70s, but who cares what the furniture looks like? All I care about is that it was clean and comfy, which it was. Our kitchen was old, but our priority, the fact the fridge, oven/stove and water all worked and ran perfectly fine. It was kind of a odd, travel back in time staying there, but all the appliances and amenities of the unit were sufficient.

One thing that was awesome, that they don't even tell you on the phone about, is that there is a pool bar (Blue Fin pool bar) out back. It's not part of the Lambros & Hampton House property, but it's kid friendly, public and did I mention -- it's a pool bar! This was one of our favorite parts of our vacation. When it got too hot on the beach around lunch time, we could kick back and drink some cocktails under an umbrella while our little cousins and their friends could swim, and we all could stay together.

Lambros and Hampton House is what it is. It's a great location, right on the boardwalk and oceanfront. We spent every night out on the front patio, mingling with other guests over a few drinks; then we would head to bed in our 70s style apartment with a 20-inch cable TV (out of the 90s) to fall asleep too. But when we woke up, you have a Dunkin Donuts or Pollock Johnny's about a 20 second walk from your bed to grab some breakfast or we could make our own breakfast in our own apartment. The madness of The Pier / Trimpers / Bars are about 4 blocks away, so it was close enough to not even consider not going cause it was too far, but far away enough that we didn't have to be woken up by all the drunkards at 2:30am. If you're looking for your bed to be made each day for you and have a modern-day furnished apartment with appliances that are worth as much as your car, this is not the place for you. But, if you want cleanliness, your equipment to work, a GREAT location and get your money's worth,

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends