“An absolute DUMP!!!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 18 Ocean City B&B and Inns
Arlington, Virginia
“An absolute DUMP!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2011

I've never done a trip advisor report in my life until now. But the squalor of this hotel was just beyond me that I never want anyone else making the mistake my fiance and I made. Mistake one: Coming to OC at the last minute w/o booking first. Mistake two: Coming here without looking at the rooms first. Mistake three: Letting them charge the abysmal prices they do ($169 on Friday and $229 on Saturday).

When we first got up there I felt like I was in a prison cell. Now we initially rationalized it saying we'd only be sleeping here and that's it. Well...the minute we came back from the Boardwalk we were about to hop into the bed (which is by far smaller than a double) and there was Pubic hair in the sheets!!! GROSS! Immediately we tried to check out however they fail to inform you of their no refund policy this despite the circumstances. Granted the kid, Ali (nice guy btw) came up right away and replaced the sheets, but we were over it at this point. The bathroom smelled like urine also. The next morning we decided to cut our losses, checked out and went home. We plan on disputing the charges with our credit card company unless the owner gives us at least a partial refund since we did survive one night in this hellhole.

Bottom Line: Overpriced, disgusting, and never again. I implore everyone to stay away from this place!!

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Baltimore, Maryland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2011

This place is horrible. Cheap but horrible. The entire room was nasty. Carpet was so old and dirty you didn't want to walk around barefoot. The bathrooms are super small + moldy. Our sink drain didn't work. There was mold on the ceiling tiles. The walls had chipped and peeling paint. The parking lot was very small. Thank goodness we left our car up at 20th st. and took a bus back and forth, cause each night we came home there was no parking left. And to top everything off, a clerk started vacuuming at 6:25am Friday morning. Even when I heard a guest complain, he just kept vacuuming. I will never stay there again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank lisahrlady

Travelers are raving about these Ocean City hotels

Baltimore, Maryland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2011

Me and my friends stayed one night here and it was horrible! We didn't get towels until 10:30pm. The bathroom was not even cleaned when they gave us our room, there were dirty wash cloths in the shower and when we told the manager, BETH, of our findings, she told us we were lying and that it was her word against mine. Not soon after did she tell me, "Get the F*** out of her motel". When I asked for the owners number she told me I couldn't have it. I would not let my dog yet alone my kids stay at this place. It was horrible!!

Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank Shavonda H
baltimore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2011

I recently stayed at the suntan with friends, a last minute trip. We got into ocean city early and we started checking some rates and came across the suntan had a sign out front that said $69 and up we pulled in. I have to say i was bit worried it looked small from the outside and the parking looked tight but the price seemed in the budget. The room was not ready they were sold out night before but let us stay parked on the lot. When got checked in about hour later the room was a bit small with two double beds but it had the basic needs for a couple of guys who just here to relax. I went to to the desk to get some extra towels and there was a lady complaining about her room not big enough and the desk clerk seemed very nice and calm while the lady was screaming at her and offer to move her to a different room to make her happy. The desk clerk apologized to me for the delay and gave me extra towels. My friends and I thought our room was in pretty good shape and we had maid service everyday and the staff could not have been more helpful for getting us directions to places and restaurants to making some calls to local golf courses for times and prices and help us poor sould by booking our golf reservations. My favorite thing about the trip was hanging out on the patio deck upstairs it was vey relaxing.

Room Tip: Rooms near the patio area are bit noisy beside the stairwell
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank beach-wave
LaVale, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2011

To start, the location is PERFECT. It was only a block to the beach & the street was easy to cross. The bus stop is right across the street. It was what we paid for: $70/night. It was a room smaller than my kitchen with a bed in the corner and a tv with basic cable. The bathroom was tiny & left a bit to bed desired. What this hotel lacked most of all was adequate room service. We only got 2 sheet changes & towels during our 5 night stay. We had to ask for more towels. However, my boyfriend and I accepted this as part of a cheap hotel & dealt with it. I don't think this would be my first choice of hotel again, but it is worth it for the location & price per night.

Room Tip: Always change the maid request/do not disturb signal to your needs. You don't want anyone bargin...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank xcirce
Baltimore
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2011

We stayed here for 3 nights because unfortunately we were unable to change hotels due to the no refund policy. The rooms we cramped and uncomfortable, and the motel looked extremely worn inside and out.
The only positive was that it is two blocks from the beach. The service here was horrible! So don't go here expecting too much, very overpriced and by far a non impressionable stay. (fyi only double beds, no bathtubs, only stand up showers in rooms)

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
West Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2011

I booked a week (Monday-Friday) for my parents at this hotel after seeing the Sun-Tan's website and thinking it looked like a decent place to stay for their budget. Big mistake! When my mom called to upgrade to a "bigger room" with 2 beds after seeing how small the single was online, she was quoted a price almost 50$ more than listed online. When they arrived, she paid cash for 4 nights and was told that they were under new management and the website prices were not valid any longer, yet no attempt was made to keep people from booking a room at those prices, or to change the site. When they finally got into their room (check-in is at 3 and it was after before their room was finally ready) the room on the bottom floor was so disgusting, my parents wouldn't even step foot inside. My mom went back to the front desk and asked for her money back. She talked to the owner and told her they wouldn't stay there. There was mold all along the walls and baseboards, and you could smell it as soon as you opened the door. The walls were cracked and holes beat in them, the furniture was broken and looked like it had been dragged from a dumpster...The owner offered to move them to a "nicer room" upstairs, but refused to refund their money, even minus a cancellation fee and one night charge, she wouldn't give them any of it back. So, they agreed to see the "nicer room." It was about a 12x12 prison cell, with the same black mold, torn and stained carpet, dirty cracked walls, dark, dingy, and absolutely disgusting. The shower tiles were broken and moldy, and it was so small you could hardly use the toilet. They didn't even want to set their bags in the room. There are signs posted for no smoking in the rooms or there is a $150 fee, but you wouldn't be able to smell smoke for the stench of mold. She called me in tears to tell me how awful the place was, and they were planning on leaving and coming home after a 6 hr trip to get there, and sleeping in the car because they didn't want to have to sleep in the bed. As she took pictures on her cell and talked to me on the phone, the owner stood a few feet away and eavesdropped on our conversation, then had the audacity to approach my mom and ask when she would be checking out then. My mom told her if she wasn't refunding her money then the room was theirs until Friday. The woman apparently thought my parents would leave, she would keep their money, then rent out the room AGAIN to some other poor schmuck! There are only about half the parking spaces as there are rooms, and there is no parking allowed on the street or alley nearby. The place is not only dirty and run-down, but noisy, there was a huge gap around the room's door where it didn't shut right in the frame, the maid left all the dirty laundry piled in the doorway of the laundry room and left for the day, and there was shady and illicit activities going on there (ie drugs/prostitution). Needless to say, my husband found another hotel and got my parents accommodations there for the remainder of the week so they didn't have to come all the way home, and the desk clerk at that hotel gave us numbers to report the Sun Tan and its owner. (Health Dept. , BBB, etc)

Bottom Line: DO NOT STAY HERE!! DON'T EVEN CONSIDER THIS DUMP!! THERE ISN'T A SINGLE POSITIVE ATTRIBUTE TO THIS PLACE!! NEGATIVE 5 STARS COULD NOT BE ENOUGH!!

Room Tip: Stay Elsewhere!!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family