“This new hotel quickly won my family and...”

Gateway Hotel & Suites
Ranked #17 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
“This new hotel quickly won my family and...”
Reviewed August 16, 2010

This new hotel quickly won my family and myself over with its spotless rooms, clean lobby, and extremely helpful/friendly gentelmen at the front desk unfortunatly some underlying issues brought the value down to the point I would not recommend this hotel to friends.

First a little background on me, I am a frequent traveler and usually easy to please, I've stayed at several sleep/comfort/choice hotels and was dissapointed in this especially given the overwellmingly positive ratings.

The pros: clean, new, every room has a nice big balcany with chairs and table. Refigerator, helpful check in staff, let us leave car in lot before checkin so we didn't have to hassle with finding or paying for parking for the day, quiet room - next door neighbors had loud kids, no street noise

Now for the cons: I went up to use the fitness room, this is where it started going south, walking in the room looked like a disaster. They had one treadmill one bike one ellipitical, the only piece that worked was the treadmill. There was a water dispenser with the empty jug to the side and cups, no clean towels but ones in the dirty hamper looked and smelled like they'd been there for awhile but what did you expect. No resistance/mats/or anything like that but its sometimes hit or miss for those. Id at least expect water and towels.

The breakfast was one of the Worst I've had among competing hotels. First obersation led to a thin spread and no cranberry juice. The oj worked while we were there but ran out 1/2 way through we informed the lady and instead or replenishing put an out of order sign. They had no pitcher of water, hot water but no tea. A thin spread of white bread for toast and small muffins. You're other options were fruit loops or cherrios. Thank goodness they had oatmeal. There was pb till they ran out. I had to tell the front desk staff the hot water ran out. The knifes were not replenished. They also offered apples.

The parking. Do Not bring your suv/mini van infact the Only vehical u want to bring is your miata because that's about the only vehical that will fit in there parking lot. But remember one vehical per room. We drove our prius, which barely fit past a couple park vehicals...its not the width of the spaces so much as the length, take caustion when choosing a vehical.

The pool was very small but whose at the pool when the beach is a block away! We could even see the ocean from our room!

With some easy changes I think the value of this hotel would quickly raise. Its a shame the negatives to me just didn't outweigh the positives (cleanliness, quiet, etc) that id expect from any hotel, especially from any sleep/sleep suites competiitor. The hotel is new however and if a new hotel is all you're after stay here but if you want quality too I wouldn't stay here.

Oh on another note the man who was very helpful checking us in had received a call while we were in the lobby from a current hotel guest saying they needed 15 towels and 10 washcloths. And he hung up called housekeeping and started loudly complaining, then started complaining to me...I agree 15 towels is very excessive for a room of four (what do you need those 15 for anyway?) But I hardly think its professional to loudly proclaim it to two guests waiting to check in the the lobby..

1 Thank myfairlady123

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Washington, DC
Reviewed August 15, 2010

This is a new hotel with great rooms and staff. Ask for a AAA discount. The rooms are clean with a lot of if not all having a balcony. The pool is small and the gym is only three machines, but otherwise for Ocean City its a good place. There's a also a laundry room that guests can use. Its one block from the beach.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank traveler533_9
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 11, 2010

The rooms are clean and spacious. Each room has a nice size balcony with a small table and two chairs. The bathroom was very clean. Wireless internet was fast. The continental breakfast wasnt all that great muffins, toast, cereal etc. But you have to get there early by 9:30 its practically nothing left. Its a great location, very close to the boardwalk, not noisy at night. The parking lot is very tiny and the pool is really small. The only problem I had was at they told me my credit card wouldnt be charged and it was before i could check in and at check out I wanted to use two different cards and the clerk got confused and told me she split it up but put it all on my debit card. Overall, for the price it was a grat stay and I would stay there again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank m29jackson
Tamaqua, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 6, 2010

Brand new hotel and a great place to stay! Complimentary breakfast, which is nothing huge, but enough to fill you! Clean rooms and balconies in every room! Very nice stay! Will stay again!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank postie94
Johnstown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 4, 2010

Had an absolutely terrific time.We stayed 4 nights. Very close to boardwalk, clean. Izzy at front dest would go out of his way to make your stay wonderful. Couldn't ck in early, but cld park and change. Small dorm fridge, had to use cooler. Spotless bathroom. Pool was green. But I came to swim in the ocean, I have a pool at home! Do yourself a favor and stay here. Close to everything. Not much of a breakfast, could improve on that. If you want internet, make sure you take your owncable. Wireless internet was fast. Had a balcony room over the side street. Wasn't noisy. Small chairs on balcony. I would absolutely stay here next year.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank afm928
Aston, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 28, 2010

I booked a room for my 3 night vacation and when I arrived I found that their pool was green and murky when compared to the neighboring hotel from the view of our fourth floor balcony. I also noticed the smell of marijuana and later found that kids were smoking it on the balcony next to us (there are no barriers between balconies). Later that night I laid down and noticed that the pillow case had yellow slobber stains on it from previous use. When I called the front desk to get a few replacements they automatically assumed that more people were staying in the room and stated that they were going to charge my credit card for "the extra people in the room." I never received replacement pillows but they sure wanted to get paid instead! Lastly, the front desk lied to me when I checked out. The assistant told me I wasn't going to see any surprise charges on my credit card. To my dismay I found miscellaneous charges on my credit card later in the week. When I tried to rectify the situation on the phone they were very unwilling to resolve my issue. The manager was supposed to call me back but he/she has yet to do so. I suppose a diamond member of choice privileges should receive this kind of service. Good bye choice privileges network. Thank you Sleep Inn of Ocean City!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tuffguy610
Garrettsville, Ohio
Reviewed July 27, 2010

This hotel was very nice and clean,walk across rd to beach.pool kinda small, right on boardwalk. carol at front desk is super.when making rev. ask for her.whole staff real nice,but she is super.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family