All reviewssleep innfree breakfastroom was cleanparking lot is tightyogurtfront deskmake your own waffleswaffle makerstreet noisethe breakfast areachoice hotelstop floorbeach boardwalkwould stay here againsmall poola great staythe location is perfect
Reviewed August 14, 2012

We stayed here for the weekend and picked the Sleep Inn because it was one of the few hotels that had a vacancy. We booked last minute and were pretty happy with it. The hotel was clean and we stayed on the fifth floor. The bathroom was very large. The breakfast was good and had a variety of items including waffles. The room was quiet and we really did not hear outside traffic at night. The location is the reason to stay here. It is very close to the boardwalk at first street. My biggest complaint is that the wifi does not work in the room. The parking lot is very small and with an SUV we found it challenging to park, but found an end spot where we could fit. I reccommend bringing a smaller car. Overall I think I would stay here again because of the location.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tropical_lover_86
Reviewed August 12, 2012

This was my first visit to Ocean City, MD and my family wanted to be close to the ocean and boardwalk, so we chose this Sleep Inn & Suites.

As others have said, Carol at the front desk was very helpful and friendly. The other desk personnel seemed friendly, but when I informed the one guy that the pool was out of towels, he said he would take care of it, but new towels never appeared in the next twenty minutes we were there. Oh, the pool is REALLY small.

The breakfast buffet was good, with the normal long lines for the waffle machine as to be expected at any hotel free breakfast. They kept it stocked and no complaints from me besides the wait for a waffle machine.

The hotel is newer and was in good shape. The elevators were fast, and we never had to wait more than a minute for an elevator. Only a shower in our room (no tub), but it worked fine. We had a king bed and it was not comfortable at all, but the kids didn't complain about the pull-out sofa-bed. Balcony was nice, as we were on the fourth floor, side of the building, but closest room to the boardwalk. We could see the bay, as well as the ocean and boardwalk from the balcony. Air conditioning controls are wall mounted, which is much better than the older units with the controls on the air conditioner.

The parking spots were really tight and people with larger vehicles had difficulty getting in/out of the parking spots. With everything so close, we didn't have to drive much, so it wasn't that big of a problem for us.

Location is the real reason to stay here. Cross the super-busy street in front of the hotel, and you're a two minute walk away from the boardwalk. Crossing that super-busy street is a real pain though.... We were there on a Tuesday and the beach fireworks were literally across the street from the hotel, and I could have watched them from our balcony.

If you're coming back from the beach, there's a garden hose on the left side of the hotel behind the side entrance, where you can wash off your beach sand. I didn't see it documented anywhere, but found it when walking back from the parking lot after using the stairs.

I didn't notice any bad smells in the hotel like some other reviewers noted.

Oh, I'd skip the neighboring steakhouse that the front desk recommends.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank James E
Reviewed August 9, 2012

We had never gone to Ocean City in season and were a little apprehensive about the crowds. The location was perfect--an easy block from the boardwalk/beach, but away from any noise. The room was clean and the bathroom looked like it had recently been remodeled. Everything worked well. The front desk staff were especially nice and accomodating. We had a 5th floor room with a view of the ocean. It was a front row seat for the weekly Tuesday night fireworks. The continental breakfast had a good variety of breakfast foods. We had no problem with parking. And we could walk to most things, including the Talbot St. wharf where the Assateague Island Explorer boat leaves from--a nice was to spend a couple hours on the water. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Occasional-visitor
Reviewed August 8, 2012 via mobile

This was a last minute post wedding trip. The hotel was clean and the rooms were nice. Since the weather was a little iffy, we spent a fair amount of time in the rooms. The cable provided a wide variety of channels and the AC work wonderfully. The only downside to the hotel is the smell in hallways was a little strong, but it never leaked into the room.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Jeremey1982
Reviewed August 7, 2012

Just finished a 3-night stay here, was a last minute booking and the price was decent for what was described as a room with 2 pillow-top queen beds. Um, yeah, more on that later.

First, the good points. Location, location, location. Walk out the front door, across the street, up 1 block and you are on the boardwalk at 1st street. Right in the heart of it all. The room itself was nice, with 2 beds, a chair, a desk, TV, and nice bathroom. Bathroom sink had granite countertop and shower had granite surround. Water pressure was good and the temperature consistent. Was a little surprised that they don't have flat screen HDTV yet but what they had worked well. Each room had a little balcony with chairs and table. Pool was small but nice, water was warm. The hotel offered a free breakfast each morning, free coffee all day in the next door bistro, and free internet access. The front desk staff were friendly and helpful.

Now the bad. The beds were pretty hard, and the "pillow top" was nothing more than a thin layer of padding under the sheet - nowhere near a true pillow top. The balconies are nice, but the doors and windows are not very sound resistant, so if your neighbors are out, you WILL hear them. The AC did not work right, I started the thermostat at 70 then dropped to 68, but the room temp never got below 72. The wired internet worked well, but the wireless stunk. We were on 3rd floor (out of 5) and the only place I could maintain a wireless signal was in the bathroom! Internet access required a passcode which wasn't readily available in the room and when I tried to call the front desk to get it, the phone didn't work.

Parking. There are plenty of spots, but the lot is VERY TIGHT. I highly recommend driving a small car if you are staying here. We had nights with a full size pickup and/or an Escalade in the lot, and it was very hard to get through. Getting into and out of spots was difficult because people parked however and wherever they wanted, and hotel staff did not seem to mind. Cars were parked across 2 spots, were parked 2 feet back from the parking block, etc. Check your car daily for dings and scratches cuz there's a good chance you'll get one.

By far, the worst experience was with housekeeping. We checked in Saturday and everything was fine. On Sunday, we were out of the room from 11 until 1:30 pm, then came back long enough to shower and change, then were out again from 2:15 until 8 pm. Room never got cleaned. Had to call front desk to get clean towels, more shampoo, etc. On Monday, we were out of the room starting at 10:45 and popped back in off and on from 2 until 3:30 and the room hadn't been cleaned yet. FInally we came back a little after 4 and it was done, but the housekeeping crew had taken our toothpaste. Since we were leaving the next day we got a couple of ready to use toothbrushes from the front desk, otherwise we would have had to go buy toothpaste.

All in all it was an OK stay, the front desk was very responsive to the issues. I've just never stayed anywhere with that poor of housekeeping services. I would definitely consider staying here again but only if my top 20 choices are booked.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple