“Great view for the money, Not so much a great room”

Courtyard Ocean City Oceanfront
Ranked #13 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
New York City, New York
“Great view for the money, Not so much a great room”
Reviewed August 31, 2010

I love Ocean City - however this is my first time staying on the beachside and I would do it again...although the room wasn't great it did have the best ocean view ever - the room was stock with a refrigerator, microwave and coffee pot - but thoughout the day the have complimentary coffee and lemonade. On the downside (sorry) the parking was crazy and if you have a truck even worse - the pool was tiny and indoor - which I guess works in the colder months. I also thougth the layout was strange the entrance from the street and where the lobby was strange - but the staff was nice - roomy space and we had a balcony that was just fab!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank _msmayor_nyc
cyoceancity, General Manager at Courtyard Ocean City Oceanfront, responded to this review, September 9, 2010
Thank you so much for your review and your compliments of our staff. We understand that in Ocean City you have many choices when it comes to where to stay and I thank you for choosing us for your first beachside vacation. The Courtyard Ocean City is certainly a unique property and we are glad you enjoyed your stay and hope you will be back soon.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

Richard Smith

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
Greencastle, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 22, 2010

My family and I stayed a week at the beginning of august, on our second day there I fell in the hallway which has tile floor. At first I thought it was water, only to discover it was something oily on the floor. I went to the front desk to report the problem and was told that they had been having prblems with teenagers putting something in the pool to make bubbles, i did not realize at the time that i was speaking with the general manager.the next day i had to be taken to urgent care as my knee was the size of a melon and solid black and blue. the hotel offered no concession . and we ended up covering the urgent care bill out of our pocket. the staff definately needs to be trained in what to do if a guest is hurt on property

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank ocdreaming
cyoceancity, General Manager at Courtyard Ocean City Oceanfront, responded to this review, August 30, 2010
Dear OCDreamin,

As stated by our General Manager during your stay our guest’s safety is very important to us. We take matters such as this very seriously. As this involves your personal health we look forward to continuing to speaking with you in a private manner.
College Park, Maryland
Reviewed August 22, 2010

Our room was attractive, and expensive. I was willing to pay extra for ocean view and a no drama trip with my husband and little grandson. First off, we arrived at 6:30 exhausted to find the single desk clerk giving a family what became a 20 minute rundown of every eatery and it's menu. After that family left, and we were finally able to check in, another desk clerk mysteriously appeared from behind a wall and asked if she could help us. The first clerk, who waited on us, was clearly annoyed that we didn't take her up on it. We got to our room, (not on the top floor as we requested) and it was well appointed and satisfactory. Problem was, at 4 am we were being eaten alive by BEDBUGS! They refunded our money, found us another hotel, but rented out the same room to a new family a half hour after we left, no fumigation. I saw them on the balconey of this $359 a night room, I'm sure thinking they paid for quality. I should have yelled up.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
11 Thank glory215
cyoceancity, General Manager at Courtyard Ocean City Oceanfront, responded to this review, August 25, 2010
I regret that you did not enjoy your stay with us. Our number one goal is guest satisfaction. With that said I would like to assure you and other guests that we do not and never have had bed bugs at this hotel. After you made the front desk aware of your claim of being bitten overnight, we offered to move you to another room in the hotel until the front desk could find alternate hotel arrangements for you. However, you chose to stay in the room you claimed you had been bitten in. As soon as you checked out of the room, much later that day, the management and housekeeping staff went to the room. They have all been properly trained in looking for any kind of infestation and did not see anything in the room or surrounding area. As with any suspected case of infestation we called our pest control company to inspect and they also confirmed our findings of no evidence of bed bugs. Our pest control provider assured us that we have no evidence of bedbugs in that room and no cases in the building to date.

The guest service representative refunded your money for the night because guest satisfaction is what we strive for and if you are not fully satisfied we will always work to correct that. In your case a refund and arranging alternate accommodations per your request was the solution.

Richard J Smith, CHS
Grafton, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 18, 2010

We stayed one night in a nice room with two of the most comfortable beds I ever remember sleeping on and man, I would love to get my hands on some of those pillows. The rate was great too.
The down side is the condtion of the room after only one year. Our rug had numerous burn holes in it ( supposed to be non-smoking ?). The bathroom floor hadnt been washed in forever, you could see smears where they maybe wiped it a bit but not much. The whirlpool ( which I loved ) had magic marker on the side and the bottom where it hit the floor was black. Try a magic eraser people and some elbow grease.
The most shocking was the full length mirror was busted and still there. Can you say lawsuit?
It wouldnt take much for someone to cut themselves.
All that aside, would I book it again, yes sir. Seemed to be the newest and nicest hotel amongest a bunch of places that I would never sleep in.
Did I mention that mattress and the pillow?? Nice flat screen TV too .

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gizmosmom
cyoceancity, General Manager at Courtyard Ocean City Oceanfront, responded to this review, August 20, 2010
We appreciate you taking the time out of your busy schedule to write your review. I'm very happy you enjoyed our beds. All Marriott bedding is available for purchase, If you would like more information please contact me.

We take all of the comments, questions and concerns from our guests very seriously. They tell us what we are doing right, what we are doing wrong and most importantly, telling us how we can improve our service and facilities. The quality of our guest rooms and guest safety is very important to us and I assure the issues you mentioned will be corrected.

We appreciate your business and I hope that when you are planning your next trip to Ocean City you will please contact me as we would love another opportunity to wow you.

Northern NJ
Reviewed August 12, 2010

My wife and two young children stayed for 4 nights in early August. This is our 2nd time at the Courtyard - we went last year in August as well - just after it's grand opening. We had a wonderful time and would come back again; however, I say this having not actually paid for the hotel since I used Marriot rewards certificates. To be honest, I could not see myself paying $459 (the rate I would have paid for my oceanfront room) per night. That's not a knock on this hotel, per se, but if I'm going to pay that for a family vacation, I would hop on a plane and go to the Atlantis in the Bahamas or something.

Having said that - the hotel is clean, the staff is friendly, the restaurant is great and the rooms are very nice, spacious and comfortable. Each day the sand-filled room was refreshed like new - great housekeeping staff.

People complain about the parking here - yes it's tight but it's manageable if you're a decent parker. If you don't like a tight squeeze, there's convenient parking across the street.

Also, some people have complained about the small pool - yes it's small but with an 8 and 10 year old, (and last year when they were 7 and 9) they wanted nothing to do with the pool when there's a beautiful beach just steps away.

Regarding bike rentals - support the little guy. On 16th street there is a really nice guy whose bikes are a bit aged but you save a buck or two and there's no waiting. If you go to the one on/about 8th street, it's mobbed with a line of people waiting for bikes that are a bit shinier.

Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank MHS70
What a great review! When guests write such informative reviews not only in regards to the hotel but Ocean City it really helps other travelers make well informed decisions. You are obviously a very experienced traveler and your contributions to TripAdvisor are excellent.

Thank you very much for writing a review for us. We appreciate your business and I hope that we can welcome you again next year for the 3rd time!

fl
Reviewed August 6, 2010

Stayed here a few weeks ago and found the hotel to be a two year old 60s style place.The quality of the furnishings in the rooms could not have been cheaper i felt like a was surrounded by paper furniture. I had not been to Ocean City in probably 40 years and do not remember it being such a dump. Any way the hotel is clean it's on the board walk but it ain't cheap over $400 per night for a city view.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank WolverineFl
cyoceancity, General Manager at Courtyard Ocean City Oceanfront, responded to this review, August 11, 2010
Dear WolverineFl,

As members in a community we take pride in our surroundings and try to make it attractive and comfortable for every visitor and I am disappointed you did not truly enjoy your vacation in Ocean City. Value for money is always important when choosing a hotel and I thank you for choosing us when you had many different options in the area. I hope we have another opportunity to receive you as a guest in the future.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed August 2, 2010

The hotel is in a fantastic location right on the Ocean City, MD boardwalk directly facing the beach. The room was clean and fully functional. The only down side was that the parking under the hotel is impossible for parking a mid-sized SUV. We parked in the lot across the street and found it to be no problem. The biggets issue was that there is no bell hop or doorman service to help with bags, etc. You are completely on your own. The doormen just read the newspaper and tell you where you might go looking for a baggage cart. The front desk staff are adequate, but let you know that they do not want to be bothered with just about anything. If you want a great location on the Ocean City boardwalk near the beach that is very clean, but has a few minor issues and you are willing to pay a premium for location and cleanliness then this a good option for you.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank RegularFamilyTeam
cyoceancity, General Manager at Courtyard Ocean City Oceanfront, responded to this review, August 4, 2010
Thank you very much for your review. We take all comments seriously, both good and bad, as they help us improve our service to you our guest. I’m sorry for the inconvenience you experienced with our doorman as we do offer a complimentary bell service to all guests. I will be sure to follow up with the Guest Service Manager as to why the service there and the Front Desk were not up to the usual high standards. I am ecstatic that you enjoyed the rest of your trip and I hope it won’t be too long before we can welcome you as a guest again.

Regards,