“Sad to say what a disappointment it was...”

Courtyard Ocean City Oceanfront
Ranked #13 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
Collegeville, PA
“Sad to say what a disappointment it was...”
Reviewed August 31, 2009

Before I get into the details of this review, I must preface this by saying that I am a long-time Marriott Rewards member and a big fan of Marriott. I am also not one to complain about every little thing and in general am quite easy to please. So it is with some regret that I have to say that we were not happy with the Marriott Courtyard in Ocean City, MD. In fact, we were quite disappointed.

The weather forecast looked great and we were looking for a last-minute, middle-of-the-week getaway "down the ocean". Our only two requirements for a place to stay were that it had to be oceanfront and the place had to have an outdoor pool (with two young children, we knew that although they would enjoy spending time on the beach, ocean swimming would not be practical, especially in the wake of Hurricane Bill). Being a last-minute trip, the options were limited. My first preference was to stay at the Hilton, but they were all booked-up. So being a big fan of Marriott, and wishing to earn some more Rewards points, I thought that a two-night stay at their brand new beachfront property would be just what we were looking for. Besides, they were on the beach and had an outdoor pool, right? So we were very disappointed when we checked in to find out that their "outdoor" pool was really a very, very small pool housed in a greenhouse type enclosure without any direct sunlight (I guess with the windows opened it kind of qualifies as an outdoor pool). To call it an outdoor pool is very misleading. To make matters worse, there was a problem with their pool, rendering it unusable. The front desk apologized and said that the pool should be filled-up and ready to use by evening. So even though the kids were disappointed, we went up to our room to change for the beach. The room was very nice: clean, well-appointed, with a perfect view of the boardwalk and ocean. We enjoyed several hours on the beach, but once evening came and the pool was still empty, we knew the chances of it being ready during our stay were quite low. Anyway, we had a fun night on the boardwalk and were ready to crash back in our hotel room. Our lights were out by 11 pm, but the noise of loud voices and the constant slamming of doors made it one of the most unpleasant and sleepless nights I have ever spent in a hotel. I don't think that the people on our floor were being particularly loud, but the doors and walls seemed so thin and the large gap at the bottom of the door let in a lot of light and noise from the hallway. In addition, every door on our hallway slammed shut. I was lucky if I got two hours sleep the entire night. The next morning I went down for coffee and saw that the pool was still not available. Right then and there, after a terrible night, I pulled out my Blackberry and was able to get a room which opened-up last-minute at the Hilton. I went up to the front desk to tell them that we would not be staying an additional night. I really wasn't going to even get into it (besides, as I said, I'm not really one to complain), but when asked how our stay was, I had to express my displeasure with the pool and the terrible amount of noise. The manager overheard and immediately came over to see what was the matter. He did say that they were having some trouble with some of the doors on some rooms not being hung properly, which may have contributed to the noise coming into our room. I also told him that there was no door sweep at the bottom of the door, so there was no blocking of any noise or light coming in from the hallway. It looked to me that this was an old condo building that was renovated by Marriott, so maybe the original construction wasn't high quality. In any event, I didn't want to spend another $350 to not be able to use the pool and to be kept awake all night, so we decided to check out and go to the Hilton. The manager was very polite and said that he was sorry, and even offered a $175 credit on our one night stay. This was appreciated, and we used the $$ to defray the cost of our bar tab at the swim-up bar at the Hilton :)

Anyway, I don't think I'd stay at the Courtyard again, especially since the Hilton is about the same price and was way more like a resort (unlike our time at the Courtyard, we had a BLAST at the Hilton!! The kids are still talking about it). I don't know if our experience was an isolated instance, but I can't say that I'd recommend this property until they get some of the kinks worked out with the door-slamming and noise.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank DrRickG

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
Lancaster, PA
Reviewed August 30, 2009

I have been going to Ocean City ever since I can remember and have a lot of memories there. Most of the hotels here are good but aren't really great or stand out. I went down to Ocean City on a whim for a weekend getaway and to propose to my now fiance. We didn't have reservations but being near the end of summer we thought that there should definately be some rooms open. We were diappointed to find that none of the hotels had vacancy. We then came across the Courtyard Mariott and saw they had a sign with vacancy. We decided to stop, not knowing it was a brand new hotel and see if they had a room available. We got the last room left and were sort of keeping our fingers crossed that it would be nice. What a pleasant surprise. The rooms were great, the beds were magnificant, and the hotel was in a great location on the boardwalk. This hotel is definately much better than your average Ocean City Hotel. Although we could only stay for the weekend, we enjoyed this hotel so much so that any future stays in OC we will definately check out the mariott first. The price was great considering that it was still in the High Season and for a Boardwalk hotel. We had a room to the side of the hotel but still had a view of the ocean and boardwalk. Definately a great addition the rest of the boardwalk hotels.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank YoungBuckTravel
Washington,DC
Reviewed August 24, 2009

The good thing is, this place is practically NEW!!!! Everything is clean, service top notch. If you reserve online it's a minimum 2 night (?) stay (as with majority of the hotels in Ocean City). My boyfriend and I couldn't do a full weekend, but we took a chance and drove to OC with no reservations. We stopped at a couple of places (major hotel chains) only to find out they were booked. We stopped at the Courtyard and wow there was room at the "inn" :)

In not being picky, because we knew that weekend was packed with visitors, we decided to go with whatever was available. Bingo! Our room was a double (2 queen beds) with an Ocean Front View. Every room has a mini fridge and microwave, wireless internet service (free) and just a lil perk for us music lovers - the alarm clock is also an Ipod deck to charge and listen to your music!!

The hotel is somewhat in the middle of attractions along the boardwalk. If you walk up, a few places to shop and eat, and eventuallly the starting point of the boardwalk trolley. If you walk down the boardwalk you are heading towards the amusements and a more variety of shops and places to eat.

The Courtyard was the perfect spot for our mini getaway. The outside says Miami-like and once inside your room...It's the perfect comfort zone. I plan to make the Courtyard my hotel anytime I stay in Ocean City, MD.

The only minor pain.. is.. the lobby/pool/resturant/ is on the 3rd floor, so the entrance is kind of wierd when you check in. But that's minor....Soooo minor.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MsMJB
Pasadena, Md
Reviewed August 18, 2009

Last week I stayed at the brand new Marriott Courtyard in Ocean City. I was really excited because there are a lot of rundown hotels in Ocean city and since this is a new hotel I figured it would be a nice change of pace. All and all a very nice hotel but if compared to the Hilton Suites or Holiday Inn Suites just two blocks away it does not compare for the price. You can get a suite there for almost the same price that has a separate bedroom, full kitchen, living area, dining area, jacuzzi tub, two heated pools and more so if you are weighing options they are a much better deal. I had just a regular hotel room, it was a nice size hotel room which was crisp and clean which was nice. Air conditioning was phenominal!
Positives:
- Fresh and new, very clean
- To use the guest elevators you must have a room key which made me feel nice and secure.
- Large hotel room. Mini Fridge and microwave.
- Great Air conditioning
- Nice, new flat screen tv
- Excellent beds

Negatives:
- Parking under the building was HORRIBLE! Very tiny spots and very congested.
- Layout is a little strange.
- Small pool