“Thought we would try the Courtyard”

Courtyard Ocean City Oceanfront
Ranked #13 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
Delran, New Jersey
“Thought we would try the Courtyard”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2011

Stayed for 2 nights at the Courtyard. We usually pick a place off the boardwalk but this time since if was not the summer season, we decided to stay on the boardwalk at 15th street. It's a quieter part of the boardwalk. It's a small hotel with about 50 or 60 rooms. and couple 1 or 2 bedroom places on the top floor. The reception area and restaurant is on the 3rd floor. We checked in and room was also located on the 3rd floor Ocean front. Our door was right across from the entrance to the very small pool area. There was a lot of kids during the day at the pool. I can't say I heard anything or anyone in the hallway or either side of us. But, it wasn't summer either. Could be a convenient but busy hallway.

Room and bathroom were both very clean. The bathroom is small with a big door. The rooms a little on the small side. It does have a closet and drawers. But, I don't remember seeing a room safe. Forgot to ask the front desk. They have a coffe maker and micro wave in the room. Also, have coffee and tea ready anytime in the lobby too. There is a desk chair and a club chair in the room and WIFI. The balcony is small with 2 chairs. If you can afford the Ocean front rooms, they have great views for people watching on the boards and beach and ocean views. Very nice. They do have parking on the first floor but it''s very tight. They have more parking across the street. Just too bad Marriott can't take that big pool across the side street and use it. We ate breakfast one morning and their restaurant and it was very good. We had fresh fruit that was big enough to share and the omelettes were delicious. Since we had not been to OC for several years we had to try out our old favorite places like Dough Roller for "pigs in a blanket"and Nick's for Ribs and Chicken Cheasapeak and Capt's Galley for crab cakes. All were very good.

The next time we would stay at the Courtyard but would compare the price with Holiday Inn that's a couple blocks down. The rooms are suites and have 2 pools and on the boardwalk and the Hilton, which is not on the boardwalk. The Courtyard is a pricey place to stay.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sandyg47

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
Ocean City, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2011

This was my second stay at the Courtyard in Ocean City. It was very nice to be greeted by members of the staff and to be welcomed back. I organize a retreat for 20 - 24 women and love it when I can say that there were no problems and everyone was happy! Great views, extremely clean rooms, friendly attentive staff. Special thanks to Ed, Tasha, Lauren, Spencer at the front desk who took care of our every need. See you in the fall.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Nikki D
Capitol Heights, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2011

Our stay was very nice. The beds were comfortable, the room was clean, the hotel receptionist was very helpful. Complaints, the rooms need to be made more soundproof (we could hear every word from the persons in the next rooms, especially when walking in the halls); the indoor hot tub & pool temperatures need to be higher, the temperature in the hot tub was the same as the pool; and no freezer area in the very small refridgerator!

Anthony "Papa" & Rosa "Bud" Jones

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank budandpapaoceancity
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2011

I didn't know there were hotels this nice in OCMD. New, clean, and got a great deal on price line. Balcony was nice, free parking is great. Door to the room was a little sticky and needed some coaxing to close.

• Stayed March 2011
1 Thank kjwmd
Hyattsville, MD
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2011

In January 2011, I called the Courtyard Marriott in Ocean City, Maryland, and booked a room for 2 nights on February 19 & 20. I specifically asked the reservationist for an oceanfront room on a higher floor. I wanted to ensure a nice view of the ocean. Low and behold when I received an e-mail confirmation from the hotel I noticed our room was on the ground floor. Not only is there no view of the ocean, the ground floors do not even have a balcony, just a patio on the boardwalk level.

I called the Marriott and inquired as to why our reservation was for a ground floor room when I had asked for a higher floor. The reservationist said she had no way of knowing what floor our room was on when making our reservation. This didn't make any sense to me. I asked the reservationist to please move us to an oceanfront room on a higher floor. She replied that she could not do this because the hotel was sold out, but that she would make this notation on our reservation.

I called the Marriott a week or so later and asked the reservationist if someone had cancelled and if we were placed in a room on a higher floor. The response I received was that nothing will be done until the day of check-in! I tried calling back a few other times spaced apart and kept getting the same response, "nothing will be done until the day of check-in." In other words, even if someone should cancel a room on a higher floor, the Marriott would not move our reservation to that floor.

The reservationists I dealt with were sarcastic, rude and very unhelpful. I was treated like pond scum by the Marriott reservationists. This situation was so totally unsatisfactory that I accessed the Marriott Corporation website and sent an e-mail to customer service regarding this matter. Within about 15 minutes, I received a website inquiry reply indicating that our reservation had been moved to a higher floor! I was very impressed with the can-do attitude of the customer service representative. So, all along my reservation could have been on a higher floor, but the Marriott reservationists would not accommodate my request.

Now, about the Courtyard Marriott hotel in Ocean City, Maryland. Although we stay in Ocean City at least 20 times a year, this was our first stay at the Marriott. It will be our last. The first thing I noticed was next door to us on the fourth floor there was a motorcycle gang wearing their leather jackets with "Colors." I have nothing against motorcyclists, however, this group was rowdy. Another gang of motorcyclists had a room(s) on the ground floor and were sitting out on the patio level. They were hollering up to each other and throwing things at each other like children. They were drinking and smoking smelly cigars (smoking is not prohibited on the balconies or patio). We booked the Marriott for a nice quiet holiday weekend, but this didn't appear to be the case.

Be advised that the balcony’s are not private. They set out from the exterior of the hotel with small glass siding. You can see and hear everything from the other balconies on each side, above and below. There is no privacy whatsoever.

Now, on to the pool area. When I first called the Marriott I asked if there was a Jacuzzi adjacent to the swimming pool. The reservationist said yes, there was a Jacuzzi. If you look on the hotel website, you'll see a round tub adjacent to the pool. However, we found out when we went to the pool that this was not a Jacuzzi, but called a "Conversation Pit." Much to my dismay, the water temperature in the Conversation Pit was barely lukewarm. The pool water was actually warmer than the Jacuzzi. I had hoped to get some therapy from the hot water jets for a knee injury sustained from slipping on the ice. Well, that didn't happen. There was no hot water and the few jets were very weak. Oh, don't let the wide-angle lens photo of the swimming pool fool you on their website. The swimming pool is nothing more than an oversized bathtub. We also found out that there is only one swimming pool on the hotel premises. In the warmer months, expect the tiny swimming pool to be filled with people along with the "Conversation Pit." You have been warned! The guests and even hotel staff joked about the "Conversation Pit" disguised as a Jacuzzi.

Now, about the hotel room. If you like staying in mobile home trailers, this hotel room is for you! Our two-Queen room was long and very narrow. So much so that I felt a little claustrophobic. The bathroom is standard with a small countertop around the sink. The towels were small and thin with little absorbency. We were not offered terrycloth robes in this room. The shower head leaked down the tiles and onto the floor. The bathroom floor was dirty as I noted from wiping water off the floor from the leaky shower head with a white towel. There were quite a few marks (dirt) on the walls which could have been wiped down for aesthetics.

The small refrigerator is very tiny. You can barely get a few sodas or bottles of water in this fridge. It's the smallest hotel fridge we have ever seen! Forget trying to get a half-gallon of milk in this fridge. It's nearly impossible. There is no place in the fridge for any food. Just a few beverages. The Marriott has signs all over the hotel advertising "The Captain's Table Restaurant” in the hotel. Therefore, they discourage guests from bringing food to the hotel by providing the tiny fridge.

There is no table and chairs in the room in which to sit and eat food. Again, the hotel wants you to eat in their restaurant. (That's another story). There is a small table for a computer keyboard which we pulled out and then placed the two balcony chairs around in order to sit and have some cheese and crackers during our stay. We had to think out of the box for that one.

So far as furniture, you only have one computer chair, one living room chair, a long credenza, night stand and dresser drawers. The hotel rooms are not very well appointed. There were no pictures on the long wall over the head of the beds or on the walls, expect for one overtop the small fridge area. There were three small black & white photos glued to a wooden ledge overtop the credenza. That's it so far as accessories in the hotel room, except for a floor lamp. There are no windows in the room expect for the balcony doors. There are very bright lights on each balcony which stay on all day/night. You have to close the drapes at night to prevent the bright light from shining into the room keeping you awake. Not good.

When my husband and I retired for the evening we slept in the two Queen beds. I could not believe how bad my bed smelled! It reeked of perspiration. So much so that I had to sniff each pillow to determine which one had the least odor. It was a tough call because all the pillows smelled badly. So did the bed linens, especially the thin comforter. It was as though a team of Suma wrestlers slept in the beds after a match, with no showers. The hotel does not use pillow covers or double-up the pillow cases. Hence, the pillows are full of perspiration. The smell became embedded in my nose and throat for nearly 24 hours afterwards. I could hardly sleep and keep from gagging. The beds were comfortable, but what good does it do you when they smell so bad? The Marriott should use Febreeze on the bed linens or Baking Soda in the washing machines to help rid the smell.

The hotel offers satellite TV. You do not have the usual cable channels in other Ocean City hotels and there is no local weather station or visitor information channels/guides. It was a windy weekend and the satellite signal kept going in and out. There is a clock radio in which you could not set the correct time. The clock was off by 20 minutes. It's the type of clock radio in which the time automatically sets itself, but obviously that wasn't working.

About the "Captain's Table Restaurant" at the Marriott hotel. We dined there once, but never again! There were only two other tables in use and the rest of the dining area was empty. We asked the host for a booth and he snapped at us saying we could not sit at a booth, as these were for more than two people! We almost waked out, but decided to give it a go. Big mistake! Then the host placed a couple with several children right next to us. The children were screaming to the tops of their lungs. We then asked our server to be moved to another table.

My husband and I both ordered the (expensive) Filet Mignon. Both Filet’s were dry (no juice) and tough. I have never seen a Filet Mignon that did not have a little juice or wasn’t moist. These were dry as dust and total waste of money. This, despite the fact that my husband ordered his Filet Mignon “medium rare.” I ordered the Filet with Crab Imperial on the top. I found that the crabmeat was Asian and tasted very fishy-like. Most restaurants in Ocean City, Maryland, serve "Blue Crabmeat," but the Marriott serves Asian. It was gross and inedible.

Be aware that there is no view whatsoever of the ocean or Bay-side at the hotel restaurant. What you see out the windows are the backside of other hotels and a gross swimming pool with stagnant water. That's it! Many O.C. restaurants have a view, especially of the picturesque Bay-side. Oh, well. More points lost for the Courtyard Marriott in Ocean City, Maryland.

During summer months, expect to pay $400 to $500+ per night for a hotel room at the Courtyard Marriott in Ocean City, Maryland. There are much better hotels at a more affordable rate, especially with larger swimming pools (both inside and outside). There is little, if any, recreation for children at this hotel. This concludes my review of the Courtyard Marriott in Ocean City, Maryland. I hope you have found this information to be useful when planning your next trip. Thank you.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
15 Thank EarthyBarbara
virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2011

My mom & I stayed for 2 nights and were blown away by the customer service and hotel in general. To the hotel storing our frozen cakes we purchased to take home to providing the toothpaste I forgot at home, the staff really came through. Since it was just a couple nights stay, we put our do not disturb tag on the door before we left the room in the a.m. And we returned that night, on our door hung a bag with fresh towels, toilet paper, and toiletries. I have stayed on the concierge level floor in Maui at the grand wailea and did not receive that kind of service.
Drawbacks ( if you want to be nit picky) are the pool and whirlpool could be a little warmer in my opinion, the complimentary coffee in the lobby is only during certain hours, the fitness center is basically 2 treadmills and some free weights, and I missed not having a soap dish in the bathroom. Again, nothing major at all but just my two cents.
Albeit off season with off season prices, the hotel was phenomenal and well worth the extra money to stay here. There are many old hotels in oc that quite frankly scare me in the age of bedbugs, but no fear if staying here ( though I still checked my mattress. Lol)
All in all, great location on the beach/ boardwalk, superior customer service, and clean and modern. A must stay!

• Stayed February 2011
1 Thank vabeachbum91
Baltimore, MD
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2011

This hotel had to fit into a narrow lot, so some of the space issues mentioned in other reviews, including the cramped parking under the hotel, are a result of that. There is an open parking lot across the street. I liked the decor, the bed, the bathroom with marble counters, the clock radio that actually pulled in NPR, and it seemed quiet. On the minus side, the bathroom was missing a mirror from the back of the door, and taking a shower set off the smoke alarm, which was pretty annoying. False alarms can happen if the smoke alarm is mounted too close to the bathroom. No one else mentioned this happening in their review so perhaps the smoke alarm in my room was defective.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business