“Cant believe this”

Ranked #67 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
pennsylvainia
“Cant believe this”
Reviewed April 13, 2010

I stayed at the thunderbird with my girlfreind and my best freind and his girlfreind in july of 2006 and we stayed for the whole week for fourth of july and had a real nice lady for housekeeping and had no issues with anyone, we didnt drive anywhere so we had no problem with parking cuz we dint leave the spot till we left the hotel. But housekeeping was great, im not even sure of them having security if so we defenitly had no problems with them. It was on the third floor and was a bunch of trips up and down steps but no big deal. I was planning a weekend trip and was going to go again im just not sure if this may have been caused by new owners or new management or the place just went up the chute im not sure but very shocked by the reviews. The rates were good, the houskeeper was freindly and helpful and the place is close to anything you want to do.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank Countryboy21
troypurn, Owner at Thunderbird Beach Motel, responded to this review, June 19, 2010
Dear Guest,

Thanks so much for the positive review of the Thunderbird Beach Motel. We certainly strive to provide the best guest experience possible. We have a new management team and hope to see you soon.

Thanks again, Troy Purnell, owner

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Nazareth, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 2, 2009

The hotel is in a good location. Close to the boardwalk. Close to the beach. Parking was an issue most nights when we returned from our activities. Our room was on the 3rd floor, no elevator, so it wasn't much fun hauling a week's worth of luggage up all those stairs. The room was very dated and wasn't exactly the cleanest but we made due for the week that we were there since we weren't in the room very often. The pool was disgusting. Someone had decided to go to the bathroom in the pool and it was just floating around. After that discovery we didn't visit the pool again. For the price we paid we could've gotten something a lot better.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank beachgrrl22
tboc32, Manager at Thunderbird Beach Motel, responded to this review, May 4, 2010
Dear Guest,
The Thunderbird Beach Motel is under new management for 2010. Since I am new here I do not know the circumstances regarding your stay but we want the opportunity to regain your business. Please email me at tboc32@aol.com or call the motel at 800-638-3244 and ask for the manager. I look forward to regaining your trust.
Sincerely, The Management

Travelers are raving about these Ocean City hotels

phila, pa
Reviewed July 27, 2009

This is by far the worst hotel i've ever stayed at. The hotel security are stalkers and will find any reason to evict you. On our way back from being out that night we were greeted at our door by security informing us to pack our stuff because we were being evicted. The creepo security guard wouldnt even let us shut the door to get changed. He stood in the doorway and watched every move we made. They accused us of trespassing and had the police come to escort us out. The police felt so bad for us that they helped us carry our bags out!!!!! They admitted this happens all the time. So here we are 4 girls in their 20's with no where to sleepat 3AM!!!!. These people should be assamed of themselves. I hope this doesnt happen to anyone else. It was a waste of money and ruined our vacation.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank mcgillrdh
ocmotels, Owner at Thunderbird Beach Motel, responded to this review, May 7, 2010
Dear Guest, The Thunderbird Beach motel certainly is not any type of "scam" I do not know the exact circumstances of your eviction but feel that there was some legitimate reason you were asked to leave. We certainly do not encourage evicting people for no reason. The property is under new management for the 2010 season and we would love to have you back as a customer. If there is anything we can do please contact myself at ocmotels@aol.com and we will do everything possible to regain your business.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 27, 2009

and trust me- I travel for work a lot! I read another review about this hotel that basically had the same experirence, but to sum it up we also were evicted by the sercurity guard. They said we had 5 people staying in our room (there were 4 of us) and a friend of mine that came down just for the day to visit. They told us unless you are staying at the hotel you are not allowed on the property (they accused us of trespassing) also, they informed us that you are not allowed to have guests in your hotel rooms that are not staying there. We were evicted after we had been out, so they were waiting at our room for when we came back to the room. So they put 4 girls out on the street at 3 in the morning. The stafff was incredible rude and stood there while we had to try to pack everything and leave. The guard even kicked the door open at one point while we were trying to get changed and told us to change in the bathroom.

I wish there was something else I could do to get the word out about this hotel and make sure no one every stays there again.

Trust me if you are looking for a budget hotel there are plenty of other ones in OCMD to choose from....... STAY SOMEWHERE ELSE!

Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
Dear Guest, I can see from other reviews of the same date you were part of a group that was evicted from the motel in July. I do not know the exact circumstances of your eviction but feel that there was some legitimate reason you were asked to leave. We certainly do not encourage evicting people for no reason. The property is under new management for the 2010 season and we would love to have you back as a customer. If there is anything we can do please contact myself at ocmotels@aol.com and we will do everything possible to regain your business.
Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 1, 2009

My husband, our two small children, my mother and myself recently spent four days at Ocean City, MD, and we stayed in the Thunderbird Beach Motel. Honestly, I have no complaints (except that the pillows were a bit lumpy, and the bed springs were a bit out of shape)! The prices were reasonable, and the accommodations, while basic, were clean and more than up to our standards.

Our room featured two double beds, a desk, a table with two chairs, a night stand, a small fridge with freezer compartment, a microwave, a safe and a bathroom, as well as plenty of lighting and a temperature-adjustable air conditioning unit.

Everything was clean and in full working order, the staff were friendly and were always on top of things in terms of housekeeping and keeping indoor and outdoor areas clean.

The motel also has a temperature regulated pool, which was accessible through one gate, whose latch was high up -- perfect for keeping children out of the pool area, or in it. The pool was clean and pristine, as were the poolside chaises and tables.

Once we checked out, we were still able to access both the pool and restrooms that featured showers -- quite handy once we were finished with our last jaunt to the beach!

Best of all was the close proximity to the beach -- literally a 1-2 minute walk!

Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay, especially since we weren't looking for a large, luxurious suite -- just somewhere to sleep, eat and change! We would definitely make reservations again with the Thunderbird Beach Motel.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank kiss-my-kitty
Dear Guest,

Thankyou so much for the great review of our property. We strive to provide the best guest experience and value possible. The motel is under new management for 2010 and we are busy making improvments every day. We hope to see you again this year and Thanks again for staying.

lewes
Reviewed June 19, 2009

First of all I made a reservation for a handicap family member. I made it very clear that she was physically handicap and would require a first floor room. When she arrived her reservation was changed to 3rd floor without notice!!! There was not even an elevator!!! The best they could do is place her in a second floor room. The steps were made of hard concrete and extremely small which was not even wide enough for her foot and being that she has a hard time going up steps and uses a cane for everyday movement this did not make her four day stay very comfortable, in fact, she was in pain the entire time and therefore completely miserable.

In addition to the room location, during the full four days there was no maid service with the exception of having to pay someone to vacuum the room. When it was requested that the sheets be changed, the housekeeper stated "I don't have time". When asked to leave sheets in the room so they could change them themselves, the maid said she would, but when they returned to the room there were no clean sheets left. In order to get towels, they had to ask night security and when they complained about not having maid service, management called in the head housekeeper and the housekeeper who was supposed to leave clean sheets and provide maid service. When the housekeepers arrived, they argued with them and called her a liar. Housekeeping claimed that they refused maid service.

After all the inconvenience and lack of adequate service, all the manager offered was $40 dollars off of the entire bill which was nearly $160.00 per night for four nights.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank aprilgshowers
Dear Guest,

I am sincerely sorry for the experience you had while staying at the Thunderbird. This is totally unacceptable and I can assure you that daily maid service is the norm as is helpful and courteous treatment of all guests. We are under new management for the 2010 season and have recently done renovations on many of the rooms including the handicapped ones. Please contact me at ocmotels@aol.com if there is anything we can do to regain your confidence in the Thunderbird Beach Motel.

Uniontown, PA
Reviewed September 23, 2008

My mother in law and father in law booked this hotel for 14 of us. We got 3 different rooms. There was 6 children and 8 adults. When you get to a hotel and see no other children that should set off an alarm in your head. We just didn't think. We were put on the third floor. The children would run back and forth from room to room. (Like typical children) to see each other. On the second day everyone but my mother in law and father in law and myself went down to the beach. We had to use the restroom so we waited. My mother in law and myself went to go out side on the balcony and the manager met us out there and said you and your three rooms evicted right now out of here. We had no idea why. All we can think is they didn't like children. They also said my brother in law was in the parking lot using the "F" word and staggering all over the place because he was real drunk. First off he was chasing his 2 year old son and we do not drink and had nothing to drink. This place is a REAL Joke. Everything was also broke. TV, Alarms, Fire Alarms among other things.Please do not book this hotel it is terrable.

Stayed September 2008
2 Thank ajcoleman96
Dear Guest,
I do not know the exact circumstances of your eviction but feel that there must have been some legitimate reason you were asked to leave. We have done some extensive work on the motel over this winter season and have addressed any broken items. The property is under new management for the 2010 season and we would love to have you back as a customer. If there is anything we can do please contact myself at ocmotels@aol.com and we will do everything possible to regain your business.