“Love my Commander Hotel”

The Commander Hotel
Ranked #8 of 104 Hotels in Ocean City
Reviewed October 15, 2012

My husband and I stumbled onto the Commander Hotel about 10 years ago. My husband wanted to take me somewhere special for my birthday (to the ocean) through mailing my husband had all the decorations sent to the Commander Hotel and the staff, accommodated him by having the room decorated when I arrived....What a Surprise! shortly after that my husband discovered the "End of Summer Cruise" little did I know the car show was in town and that blow my Big Day, Weekend, Mood etc.!! We have been coming back to Ocean City Md., since then and I would NEVER stay anywhere other then the Commander Hotel!! You must go to the Skipjack restuarant located in the Hotel (ask for Chef Oather) Excellent food and the staff TWO THUMBS UP!!
The main desk staff (Mrs. Pat Harman) you guys are FANTASTIC (THANKS AGAIN)! When we made our reservations the staff remember us by name
The Commander will always be our Ocean front choice Hotel...Our home away from home :)
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

Room Tip: Ocean front rooms are just what an ocean lover dream about...between 6:30AM and 7:00AM watch for the...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TheHappyReturners
There are newer reviews for The Commander Hotel

Reviewed October 10, 2012

I stayed in the Navigators Suite at the Commander Hotel during the Endless Summer Cruisin' event. I'm not sure if the problems I experienced were because of the shortage of staff in the off-season or if it's like this all the time. Overall I'd say I had a good time there, and nothing scary happened !!
----- The minuses are as follows:-----
• Don't be fooled by the word "suite"--it is an efficiency. Period.
• The maids only made up the beds--there was no cleaning or replenishing supplies except for towels. We had to request washcloths, coffee supplies, and toilet paper.
• The TVs were small and old-fashioned. See the attached pictures.
• The sofabed had not been checked prior to check-in and when it was opened, crumbs and a comb fell out.
• The restaurant was only open for breakfast.
• The breakfast buffet only had the basics. The toast had the texture of Milkbone dog biscuits. Maybe that's a "plus" since I didn't have to brush my teeth afterwards.
----- The plusses are as follows: -----
• The rates are reasonable.
• The location is excellent at 14th and boardwalk.
• The staff was great and quick to respond to requests. There was one arrogant woman at the front desk, but she appeared to be some sort of "backup" employee and did not reflect the hotel staff as a whole.
• The Navigators Suite contains 2 double beds and a sofabed, and each side of the room had its own TV with a good basic cable lineup.
• The balcony in the Navigators Suite was fantastic. It was the length of the entire suite and had two doors. It contained enough furniture for 6 people. We had an excellent view of the cruisers both on the boardwalk and on Baltimore Avenue.
• There was a nice kitchen area with a full-size refrigerator, cabinets, microwave, dishes, and flatware.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Debbie R
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Stayed in a Cabana Suite with a pool view. Since we were at the end of the hall and on the top floor, we also go a pretty good view of the ocean. The balcony on our suite was large and comfortable. And, it had a towel rack so that all those wet towels could be hung on the rack to dry instead of draping it on the rails and balcony furniture. The room was clean and comfortable. TV was somewhat awkwardly placed, but we watched little TV. We like to park the car and walk to everything during our stay. This place has access to both the tram cars on the Boardwalk, and to the local buses. There are restaurants close by on the Boardwalk, but you are far enough from the inlet that in is quieter. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: If you cannot afford oceanfront, get a Cabana Room at the end of the hall on a top floor.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank FunGaw4
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We were in town for SunFest and because we booked late in the season, this was closest we could get to the inlet, and I am quite happy that we stayed here. You never know what to expect booking site unseen and I was very pleased with the hotel and the location. The Cabana Suite though oddly decorated with leopard print carpet and busy wallpaper in the bathroom, was spacious, clean had great water pressure in the shower, and nice partial view of the ocean. We enjoyed early morning coffee on the balcony which overlooked the outdoor pool, and late night relaxing in a comfortable (and clean) bed. The staff was very friendly, parking was included in the rate and we lucked out to get a spot right up front so we didn't take our car the whole weekend. We will be back (if not for SunFest 2013, than for another visit.

Room Tip: Ask for a room further away from the road if available, hotel being right at the main road traffic w...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Sarah L
Reviewed September 20, 2012

We were in town for the bike event. Some places were much more expensive because of the event. The price there was fair. The room was clean and had a decent view of both the bay and the beach. Overall it was nice and we would go back there again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank PeteDodo
Reviewed September 6, 2012

This property could use a remodel to bring it into 2012, however, those are things that did not affect my stay. Tried to check in very early and room was not ready, but front desk staff called me at 1pm to let me know it was available. Housekeeping staff were some of the most pleasant people I have experienced as compared to chain properties. Skipjack Grill was okay for quick drink before dinner and for breakfast buffet. Got my money's worth on buffet as my 3 year old was able to eat for free with my buffet purchase. Outdoor pool was what you would expect at an oceanfront property. Extremely pleased with room cleanliness and how quiet the room was. At $199/night for ocean front, I would have no problem staying here again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank jeffroy34
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I have stayed at a number of Boardwalk hotels in Ocean City MD and the Commander is a nice hotel. If you are looking for ultra modern and over-sized rooms, try someplace else. We stayed in an Ocean Front over looking the boardwalk. Good location, good view, nice room. The room has 2 smallish double beds and a double couch that opens. We were only 2 people so the room was of adequate size (although we slept in different beds as it was more comfortable that way). The room sleeps 6 but I would not try that with 6 adults and lots of luggage. The full sized refrigerator was nice to have as was the Microwave and counter top, good for bringing in take-out and breakfast but not for cooking. The hotel was not full and the service was good. We had an issue with a noisy AC unit and they sent someone to fix it quickly. All of the staff always was friendly and said hello when we encountered them. The Outdoor pool was nice and clean. We did not use the restaurant (Breakfast) or the pool bar/grill. We passed by the small indoor pool, again it looked clean but it is small. Parking was onsite but, they also have off site when the hotel is busy. We did not have any issues parking. It is a little pricy but it was in high season and we wanted a ocean front room. We would go back on a future trip.

Room Tip: Don't try to put 6 adults in the ocean front room that sleeps 6 - it would be crowded.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family