“Very Relaxing”

Ranked #2 of 18 Ocean City B&B and Inns
St. Augustine, Florida
“Very Relaxing”
Reviewed May 29, 2006

My husband and I just returned from our Memorial Day weekend at the Lighthouse and we enjoyed our stay very much. The hotel is on the bay with a very "nature lovers" feel to it. For those people who said the carpets were stained or the beds were not comfortable or the maids were yelling must be local competing hotel owners because it is not true! Every detail is perfect and the service was fantastic! I have never stayed at a hotel that was so unique or romantic. If you are looking for a nice lunch, Fagers is next door but I would never go there for a dinner, it is fulll of young people and loud music, which is fine if you are young. I would not hesitate to return to this hotel for our next visit to O.C.

• Stayed May 2006
9 Thank travelerer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Reviewed April 1, 2006

My wife and I stayed in Room 207, Partial Bayview Lightkeeper Suite. We had a late check-in, around 9pm and was greeted by a wonderful innkeeper and a bellhop who helped us lug our bags up the 2 flights of steps. We entered our room and were just happy to be there. The sound of the water was so soothing that we kept the glass doors open about 2 feet to get the effect.
Next morning--BIG mistake. We woke up to yelling in the parking lot. We first took it as a family checking in who was having trouble with a credit card, but later realized by looking at the female's white golf shirt that she was a housekeeper. For the next 40 minutes, her family decided to stay in the lot while she was at work, yelling back and forth to her and causing a disturbance. I proceeded to sit out on the balcony to enjoy the ducks only to see that my half bayview room is actually a dumpsterview room. After getting fed up with the yelling outside, I walked downstairs to the innkeeper (different from the night before) to complain, only to be shrugged off and told that "she would let her know." Still trying to enjoy our vacation, we went out to Layton's for breakfast. On our way out, we were asked what our room # was so they would have it cleaned before we got back. We ate breakfast, then drove up to the inlet to walk on the boards for a little, then came back. We were gone for 2 hours only to come back to our room still not cleaned. To kill some time, we walked across the bridge to the Edge (sister hotel) and the restaurant and back. We came back into the lobby only to realize that there isn't anywhere to sit in the lobby, not to mention no continental breakfast. After returning to our room, we could hear the innkeeper yelling up to the housekeepers 2 floors up, echoing throughout the inn. On top of that, we could hear that same loud housekeeper yelling from the Edge over 100 yards away. By this point, we'd had enough. We opened the yellow pages in the room to look at other hotels to move to, only to find in every margin of the hotels section handwriting of other hotel names and phone numbers. Seems like we weren't the first ones to be fed up with The Lighthouse Club. When we checked out, the innkeeper asked us why we were leaving. I told her simply "It's not what we had in mind." She questioned nothing, and didn't even ask for our room keycards, which I realized I still have and must mail back.
Their website is what caught our attention the most. I'll put it this way--"Photography hides a lot!"

• Stayed March 2006
19 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 21, 2005

I just returned from my stay at the Lighthouse Club Hotel. First, let me say,
making a reservation there is next to impossible. We were invited to a wedding, and called the hotel from Mexico only to be put on hold for so long, that we had to hang up! Our cell phones were not working, so we made the call several times from our hotel with no success. We waited until we returned to the states because we could not get anyone to take our calls. Seeing how that is the only way to make a reservation there, we were stuck on hold!

When we arrived it was late. Our suite was nice, we had a beautiful view and the beds were very comfortable. The young lady the arrived the next morning to clean our room was the only pleasant person that worked there. The people that work at the front desk are extremely rude, and acted as if any question you asked them about the area was a burden on their time to answer.

Because we made our reservation late- now mind you that the suite was available when we sent an email, but when we called, it was no longer available- we were only able to stay in the suite the first two nights. We switched to a standard room the last night. They were helpful in making the transition from room to room, but that was the worse night of sleep I've ever had in my life!

Warning- when you read the reviews about how comfortable the beds are, that only applies to the suites. The standard room- which is still over $300 a
night, has a full size bed- impossible for two people to sleep in- with sheets
that felt like the thread count was under 200, no down comforter, like the suites have; but a rough feeling quilt and pillows that were like bricks! And
the room smelled like the smoking section at an airport. Neither of us are smokers, and we requested a nonsmoking room. This was horrible! When we checked into the new room, we only had time to get ready for the wedding. They assured us on our way out they could spray something to get the odor out of the room, but we were returned after 11:00 the room still smelled, but we were too tired to leave of course! We just couldn't sleep.

While we were getting ready for the wedding, the air wasn't working in our room. As you can imagine, that just causes additional stress trying to get to a beautful wedding and you and your husband can't even get dressed because the air isn't working!

I can not believe that they actually have the nerve to charge that type of money for a hotel that is so poorly managed and the beds are so uncomfortable! Do not stay here unless you can stay in the suite or you
will not be able to sleep! Do not stay here if you are looking for a hotel that provides you with normal customer service, not anything extra, just normal,
expeceted, "hello's" when you return to the hotel.

Happy Travels!

• Stayed September 2005
15 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Jersey City, NJ
Reviewed September 11, 2005

It's a rarity for me to write reviews like this, but I loved this hotel.

My bf and i spent labor's day weekend at the Lighthouse. We had an awesome time, lovely room, and friendly staff. It's away from the boardwalk and crowd, about 10 minute bus ride.

If you love sunsets then this is the place to be. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed September 2005
1 Thank Abigail B
Reviewed August 11, 2005

Our stay was wonderful. The rooms were extremely large. The nightly turndown, chocolates, and stocked fridge were nice touches. The staff was very friendly and accomodating. It seemed like there was just about one staff member per room. The Lighthouse was a very unique and different experience given the only 23 rooms. The only downsides to the stay were the stained carpets and the stained curtains surrounding the bed. The ducks and their feces were not a problem at all. We would definitely recommend staying here if you are 2 adults needing a romantic and secluded hotel yet want to be close to everything in OC. I could only imagine how nice the fireplace would be on a chilly autumn evening.

Stayed August 2005
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 31, 2005

Checking in at the hotel was smooth. There is a bellman to help with luggage and one person working check in. There was orange juice with champagne glasses at check in (i'm assuming it was for people checking in) but we were never asked if we would like any. That would have been very nice.

The hotel is circular and you go up a very beautiful spiral staircase to your room. We paid extra for a bayview room, one up from their standard view, but make sure to ask for a bayview over looking more of the bay rather than the restaurant, Mackey's. We over looked some marsh and buildings...it was more of a side view of the bay...ask for a more direct view. We had room 115.

The room itself is beautiful, although the bed spread is looking a bit worn. The bath towels are huge and soft. The room size is very large. And the decor is modern. You have a mini refridgerator, a wet bar and coffee maker. They do supply you with Godiva coffee and real cream in the fridge. The sheets are very soft! And you can have a choice of feather or foam pillows.

Nightly turn down service is awesome! They light candels in your room which stay lit for several hours. They leave Godiva chocolate on your bed pillow. This is when they leave your continental breakfast. The breakfast is small but a nice touch. It consisted of two small glasses of juice, two slices of a moist banana bread, and a plate of fruit...some grapes, a slice of cantelope and a slice of honeydew.

This hotel is part of Fager's Island restaurant. We had dinner there once. They have an early bird special (if your seated before 6:00pm) but I don't recommend it. You will be treated like second class citizens. Put out the money for the regular menu. We were seated and given the regular menu at 5:30pm. So I asked for the early bird menu. Wow our waitor, Cliff, didn't seem to like that. That's all I can explain. The meal was very plain. I ordered the beef tenderloin and my husband the crab cake. Both meals came out with just beef tenderloin and crab cake with a few asparagus and a baked potato and that is it...no sauces or anything fancy. I'm sure the regular menu is more fancy.

Included in your stay is admission to Fagers Island night clubs which are awesome. You won't have to drive anywhere to find dancing! They have two clubs. The first night club had a Jimmy Buffet replica band...very nice! and the other was all kinds of dance music. This is a very happening place! The only thing I didn't like was the indoor club allows smoking. Coming from Delaware, where smoking is not allowed indoors, to a bar in Maryland was almost unbearable. The open air club was not as bad.

Over all this is an upscale, unique experience.

• Stayed July 2005
13 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Staten Island, New York
Reviewed July 16, 2005

This hotel was definitely the best that I saw in all of Ocean City. We had a beautiful view of the bay, the room was always spotless, the staff was extremely helpful and courteous. The hotel is located away from the hustle and bustle of the city but still close enough to walk to the beach and some restaurants. The balcony probably could have been a little bigger, but that's really the only complaint I have. I was not really a fan of the Fager's Restaurant which is right next to the place. We went for lunch one day and the food came out cold, and just wasn't good. I definitely prefered Macky's for lunch or dinner, which is right around the corner. All in all, I would go back to this hotel in a minute!

• Stayed June 2005