“Very nice hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Pennsylvania
“Very nice hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

I am a Priority Club member, so I booked a room here with my free night along with a few additional nights. They acknowledged my membership at the desk upon check-in, and gave me a complimentary bag with waters and granola bars which was very nice! The staff was always very friendly at the desk and throughout the hotel--especially housekeeping. The ladies always had a smile and a greeting, and accommodated our extra towel/pillow requests readily and kept our room very clean. They even checked in with us at the end of their day to see if we needed anything else--which was really awesome. The manager left us a welcoming message on the phone, which is a nice touch as it shows that our business is valued.

The room was very clean upon our arrival, with a good amount of space for the 5 of us (we had an oceanfront room). The beds were very comfortable and there is a nice flat-screen TV in the room, which is great because that also allows for extra floor room now. I liked how the sheets for the couch bed are packaged in a zipper bag in the closet and not put on the bed already, as it shows that they have been washed and readied for the new guests. Nice big balcony table and chairs, a small efficiency kitchen with some pots, dishes and silverware were available, and a full-sized fridge/freezer, and a dishwasher. The water pressure in the shower is fantastic, as I've stayed in hotels where that usually seems to be a problem and it makes taking a shower longer than it needs to be. The pool is a nice size and they make fantastic drinks at the pool bar! There are hammocks and a lot of chase lounge chairs around the pool and on the upper level deck, as well as dry seating on the other side of the pool bar. I didn't experience a disturbing amount of kids or people hogging the chairs with towels like I have read in some of the previous posts for this place, but I guess its all in how some people are effected by things as well as the time that they went. But again, I had a nice time at the pool. The beach is great in OC--always clean, which is why I opt to go there instead of Jersey.

I was happy to stay at this Holiday Inn and will be doing so next summer. Its a great location, big outside parking lot (I dislike garages), clean rooms and very friendly service.

Room Tip: There are direct oceanfront rooms the just overlook the ocean and the other oceanfront rooms overloo...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank gazzoo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

I didn't have the highest expectations as I unfortunately held a negative stigma about Holiday Inn's. However, from the moment we checked in until we checked out, everyone on the staff were extremely pleasant and wanting to accommodate any wish. Our room was on the smoking floor, the eighth floor. The room didn't smell smokey, but didn't smell fresh either. The housekeepers were extraordinary as was our view of the ocean. Of nearly almost no complaints, the double beds felt unusually small and the mattresses probably could be replaced.

All things considered, I would absolutely stay there again. Direct access to the beach.....getting to area restaurants wasn't more than a 10 minute trip at the most.

1 Thank PghAnnieGreenEyes
Flat Rock, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

We checked in yesterday and realized quickly this hotel is not worth the price. Being frequent travelers for this price range you would expect luxury- you will not find it here. The rooms are outdated as is all hallways and pools. The smell of mold is horrific on our floor. The grouts and tiles in our bathroom are just plain in need if being redone. On the upside- the hammocks, and kid classes are nice. The view from are room is also decent. We filed a complaint at the desk this am which the girl took directly to the manager. It is now almost 10pm and no one contacted us. Definitely disappointed!!!!

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Christie R
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Ocean City, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear Christie R,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your stay with us. Guest satisfaction is important to us and we try our hardest to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel. We are so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us and regret our hotel did not live up to your expectations. I want to assure you that the points you've raised in this review will be looked into.

Despite your disappointment I do hope you will return to stay with us again at some future date when you can be assured of our very best attention.

Joel B
Phila.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

We arrived on 8-5-13 and stayed for 4 days. Upon arrival we were greeted by the valet who took charge of our luggage and directed us to the reception desk, again we were greeted and welcomed by pleasant staff members. The direct ocean front room was found to be clean and neat with a well equipped kitchen. The lay out of the property made it easy to move between our room and the other facilities. The property is a older one but well maintained.
As my daughter prepared the pull out sofa for our grandson she noticed what appeared to be a blood stain on the mattress and the quilt. I notified the desk, they were very responsive within 15 minutes the mattress was replaced with a new one along with the bedding. The breakfast buffet food was good though we had to wait for some items to be replenished. Lenny, the housekeeper for our room did a great job. Parking was convenient. This hotel is not cheap but compared to others in the area it was clean and comfortable with a good location. I would stay here again.

1 Thank Joseph W
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

We were there busy time and they were very accomodating. It was a true vacation and loved the ocean view! The breakfast buffet was wonderful and we also ate dinner in the pub. Very accomodating to children. The pool bar is a real bonus. A walk to the beach!

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank TLNyborg
Red Lion, PA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

Let me start off by saying we were not at all impressed by the customer service of the reservations department. Booking our room 2 months in advance for a lacrosse tournament, within 4 days we found out it was cancelled, we called to explain the situation, but because of the way we had booked they would not let us cancel without taking the whole $1067 for three days as a cancellation fee. This was 2 Months before our date. And reading on other forums, reviews etc for other hotels where guests had booked the no cancellation rate most hotels would give their money back if you called the hotel directly and explain your situation. NOT this one. So beware the way you book. You would think just for customer goodwill...but no. We even offered to use it at another Holiday Inn where we would be staying for another tournament but they said they are a franchise and are not associated with other Holiday Inns. Hmmm... So we were not happy to begin with staying here. The only positive I can say about our room was the housekeeper. She did an excellent job and was the friendliest one I saw there. The room itself was smaller than I expected and very outdated. The smell in the hallways was awful. And they only had one elevator working, so it was a nightmare trying to use it. We were on the 7th floor and we walked the steps every time unless we had a luggage cart. I have never seen so many people using the stairs before - and there was a lot of grumbling. A lot of the people at the front desk seemed like they did not want to be there, and the couple times I asked a question she looked like I had four heads. Not impressed at all. For the price we paid for this place I expected a lot more. Next time I will stay elsewhere, and I will never stay at a Holiday Inn again after our experience with this one.

1 Thank GSP13
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Ocean City, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Dear GSP13,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your experience with us, we value your loyalty to our brand and hotels. Our goal is to ensure that all our clients leave satisfied and we try our best to fulfill all our guest requests and for that please accept our sincere apology for the shortcomings you have experienced and if our hotel fell below your expectations in many aspects. We constantly strive to provide an environment of comfort and value to our guests, therefore, we are sincerely concerned when we fall short of your expectations. I have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests.

Though I would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and I hope that we have the opportunity to serve you again in the future and show you just how much we care about delivering an above average experience.

Krysllin G
State College, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

This is the third year we've stayed at this hotel and it seems the quality is getting worse each year. The rooms are clean but dated with a strong moldy odor. Beds are very uncomfortable. During this stay we had only 1 elevator for all guests (5 nights). You would think having the other elevator in operation would be a top priority, but obviously not. The elevator issue created long waits in the lobby and at your floors while you waited to get on with your family and all the beach gear. There were never any towels available after using the outdoor pool. So unless you brought towels from your room, you were going to get everything wet going back up to your room. The staff is nice, view is great, and the beach access is wonderful but I think I have stayed at this Holiday Inn for the last time unless they put some money into remodeling.

Room Tip: eastern oceanfront rooms 6 floor or above for a nice view
1 Thank Bernie O
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Ocean City, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Dear Bernie O,

Thank you for your review and for enumerating the good, the bad and the opportunities to improve. I am pleased to know that you found our staff nice, rooms clean with great view and superb location. Whilst I am pleased with the good comments, I truly value the negative comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer. I am sorry for the shortcomings you have experienced during your stay with us. As we continually strive for excellence in customer service, we maintain the ideal of keeping guest satisfaction as our top priority. This feedback will be shared with the appropriate people that can help us make a difference to ensure our valued guests' needs and expectations are met in the future.

Krysllin G.