“Pleasant Surprise”

Holiday Inn Ocean City
Ranked #35 of 104 Hotels in Ocean City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed May 19, 2013

My husband surprised me with a weekend getaway to Ocean City. Oddly enough, he'd never been there in the years that we been together...and me - not back since I was a kid. Let's say the excursion whether god or bad would've been interesting. I was a little leery, when he finally had to tell me where we were staying (he got a little turned around). I guess for me "Holiday Inn" doesn't resonate a vacation stay/sleep here - maybe it's "Inn." At any rate, I screamed a little inside, but oh well. However, surprised from the start - the check in experience was easy and they were welcoming. The lobby desk was arrayed with a gigantic basket of bananas and oranges. They informed us about their in house fine dining restaurant and gave us a coupon to use, during our stay. We were also told about the other bar/grill on site and open & close times. It was nice & they mentioned that my husband didn't need to do anything else, because he booked through Expedia.

We had a King, Garden view room and it was cute. Nice kitchen area equipped w/apartment sized fridge, stove, cookware, etc. I believe our room could technically sleep four - the sofa may have been a pull out. There was a patio, which was nice, because from my room I could see the Tennis courts and the outdoor pool. Not that these activities were in use yet, end of April was a little chilly for me. The bed was comfortable and the room was clean - trust me. I'm kinda phobic about bed bugs and whenever I travel, I pull back the sheets and check the edges of the mattress for traces. Yuck, but - if something looks fishy, I'm outta there! (LOL). We scoped out the place went to the fitness center, the indoor pool and jacuzzi (there's a small game room too). There was a wedding there, as well - so we ventured to check out the OC. :-)

Make sure if you come to Ocean City, MD you also go to some of the other spots for the traditions of eats in the area...(I'll just add a review). ;-o

Room Tip: Check out the pics on their website, it's pretty accurate.
1  Thank Frecklechick
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Ocean City

Reviewed May 17, 2013

Central location. Same level of upkeep and modernity as most of oc's non dive hotels. Totally adequate. Good for golf trip or lowrent beach vaca with the fam. Not too faaaaaancy not too bad either. The other big holiday inn is def. nicer.

Room Tip: No no no to the first floor
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank armccaffrey
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Ocean City, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2013

Dear armccaffrey,

Thank you for staying with us and providing us with your valuable feedback. We certainly do our utmost to make your stay comfortable and pleasant, so we are very pleased to note that you were satisfied with the level of service, facilities and the location of the hotel. I would also like to apologize for the dissatisfaction you had experienced. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Once again, thank you for your feedback.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed May 13, 2013

The fist thing i noticed was how beautiful the hotel looked from the outside, then when i went in the lobby too was beautiful,but what made it so pleasant checking in was Mary-Lou she was so welcoming and enegetic we felt really special. i was still alittle hesitant because some Hotels show one thing on their web sites and when you get there it is something different, but let me tell you, the room was clean the kitchen area was actully a real kitchen area-full size fridge, a range, microwave, there were pots pans dishes all the utensils- it was exactly what was on the site and what was told to me. i will always stay at this hotel and i will recommend "strongly" that everyone stays here too, overall it was the best experience, ALL 10's, great job for making my getaway so pleasant. Thank you

Room Tip: ocean front has great veiws
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank peter-john b
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed in the Holiday Inn the last week in April. Weather was high 60's. We have a lovely room with 2 queen size beds, and a kitchenette. Room was spacious, clean and comfortable. The room had a balcony with small table and chairs overlooking the ocean. I booked it on Bookings.com. They had a special rate for nondetailed standard room. I had called, and they said book the room and call us back. I did that and said "by the way do you have a room with a view?" They did and gave us an ocean view. It cost us under $200 for two night stay.

The only negative comment is that the carpeted hallway smelled of some sort of chlorene odor. It was mild. The hotel could use some updating, but was fine. Location was great! Right on the beach. Staff was friendly. The same room in season would have been extremely expensive. Go off season for great value.

Room Tip: Book online and then call to arrange which room you want. Ask for an ocean view if not specified...
2  Thank Eleanor123
Reviewed May 1, 2013

I was very disappointed with this visit. An evening staff member Vlad was not very helpful or accommodating. I had call ahead of time to let the hotel know we would be arriving late for checkin. The staff member that answered the phone said no problem. I also requested to have a King bed with an Ocean view room. I was told I will note your reservation. When we arrived I was told by Vlad that there were no King Beds available, only a double bed available with an Ocean View . Not to mention I'm a Priority Club Member and that was totally disregarded by Vlad. No upgrades or courtesy perks what so ever from him! He was not customer friendly at all with us. Also the room that was given was very noisy and not an Ocean View at all. This visit by far has been the worst ever out of all my visits to the HI/HIExp hotel chain.

Room Tip: Please choose the Direct Ocean View Room or the Ocean On southside rooms over looking the tennis cou...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Ocean City, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2013

Dear Pamela J,

Thank you for staying with us and providing us with your valuable feedback. I am disappointed to read that you did not enjoy this most recent visit due to the condition of the room that you were given and shortcomings received in the service of the staff. Your review will be used to consider improvements needed and we hope that you can give us a chance to show what we have done.

We hope to get a chance of hosting you again and show you how great our hotel is.

Regards,

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed April 28, 2013

The suites are great and the location is perfect. The hotel was very clean and quiet. Compared to the surrounding hotels this hotel looks newer and in better shape. It was great seeping with the sliding lass door open and listening to the ocean waves crash.

2  Thank Katie J
Reviewed April 28, 2013

I was at this hotel during the off season. The hotel was very clean and accommodating. The staff were excellent. They upgraded me to an ocean view suite which was very nice. The suite was large, clean and it was just perfect. I like holiday non and rarely, with their recent brand improvement, you can't go wrong if you stay at this hotel.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business