“Good Hotel for the Price”

Holiday Inn Ocean City
Ranked #27 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Good Hotel for the Price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2012

Went to Ocean City Monday August 6 and checked out that Friday. We got a Gardenview room for under 300 a night since we booked early. Our gardenview room was one of the few that was higher up and had a slight view of the ocean from the balcony. I went with my wife and 2 16 year old girls. The outdoor pool did seem kind of small but we did enjoy the hammocks and sun deck. I am not sure how good the pool would be for those with smaller, younger children as there are a lot of adults in the shallowest part of the pool due to the pool bar. The short walk out to the beach was quite nice. The rooms were not huge but worked fine for 4 people. Kitchenette was a nice touch. I will say the bathroom was quite small. I also did not really like the layout of the elevators and the lobby becuase to get to thee doors leading to outdoor pool and beach you are forced to walk through the lobby in your swim suit, carrying all your beach gear unless you want to take the stairs. Overall the hotel was a good price, had just what we needed and was located in a good spot in ocean city with helpful staff. I would stay again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Jim3618

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
Germantown, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012 via mobile

I thought I found a good hotel for my family's mini trips. We first stayed at this hotel last year and had such a wonderful experience so I decided to come back this year. We stayed here back in May and found it nice. The only minor complaint I had was with the front desk staff. They're not the warmest, most friendly staff. The room we got was not what we would've liked but we made ut work for us as it was a mini trip. Now our last trip which was back in July was one that has/is making me second think my future stay here. Again, the front desk staff, the lady who's name I neglected to capture, was again not the most helpful and sincere person. We asked for a room in one of the top floors but was told that the only room they had available was one on the 3rd floor. We told her that is not high enough for us. We asked her if she had one on the 5th or above and she said no. She then told me that the only other room available was on the 2nd floor. Now, if I'm asking for a room on one of the top floors what in her right mind would think I would even consider a room on the 2nd floor. Then, she proceeded to let us know that the room on the 3rd floor is right across from the ice machine. At that point we were left with really no option but to choose the 3rd floor. Now the one thing she neglected to tell us is that it's a corner room, at the inner nook of the hotel with a very poor view of the ocean. On top of that, when my husband went to check out and requested a hardcopy of the bill, she refused to give him one. I cannot believe that this is acceptable at that hotel. I'm sorry to say but they've just lost this one customer.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Mcao
Trumbull, Connecticut
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2012

My family and I arrived on Sunday July 29 at 2 pm and told our room was not ready(1 hour before check in was expected) and they would call us on our cell by 4:30 they still did not call us but the room was in fact ready. We had added an additional day to our trip back in May and we were told we could stay and would not have to move, only to find out they gave our room to someone else and we would have to change to a smoking room. I have 2 children and would never put them in a smoking room, I also have asthma they said nothing they could do so we cancelled the last night. It turned into a blessing in disguise. The room smelled like smoke we had to leave the door open to air it out. The hallways were never clean and smelled like mold. The ocean view was the only good thing I can say about this hotel. I had planned on doing some light cooking but did not want to use anything in the kitchen so we had to eat out which I was trying to avoid with an extremely picky eater and the reason for the kitchen. My coffee maker was broken and after telling the front desk twice I had to leave my room every morning for my coffee. The pools were very dirty and I cringed everytime my children wanted to swim, but had to say yes because the ocean was very rough , I chose this hotel the indoor and outdoor pool. The swim up bar was almost impossible to use because of the drunks that were apparently glued to the seats. I would have left the minute we checked in but the other hotels were booked(believe me I checked every one) and I drove 5 1/2 hours to get there. I know it is not a five star hotel but we paid alot for the room and I expected so much more. I will never stay at a Holiday Inn again!!!!!!

Room Tip: The direct ocean front room view was wonderful, but we stayed at another hotel and had the same view...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Ocean City, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Dear Theresa V,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Ocean City, MD.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2012

room was sufficient. Hotel was clean and friendly. Pool/beach area was like an island resort. Not very kid friendly but ours did just fine. Quick trek to actual beach but not much need to go. Hotel has pool with swim up bar, plenty of lounge chairs and hammocks in the sand. Food and drink prices were reasonable. This is not a five star resort but its one if the nicer hotels in ocean city. For the area it was perfect.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank bigmook
West Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012

My family and I stayed at this property over the 4th of July. We normally stay at the Holiday on 17th; however, we decided to split the trip between the two hotels to check this one out. The staff is very friendly, and the housekeeping service of Fatina was awesome. So why the average rating?

Pros:
1) beautiful beach
2) good indoor pool facilities
3) kitchenette
4) called for broken shower head before dinner & it was fixed upon our return

Cons:
1) direct oceanfront rooms are far from elevator
2) The outdoor pool was very nice, but we were uncomfortable after the bar opened. We have 2 children 7 and 9, and while they see their dad drink a beer or myself have a cocktail
with dinner, they do not see us sitting at the swim up pool bar at 10:50am (opened at 11am) and not leaving the seat until the bar closes. The first night we were there we watched 3 men (older...at least late 60's early 70's) assissted out of the pool becuase they were so drunk they couldn't stand. We gave it another try the following day. Nope, this time a younger adult ran the length of the bar and jumped in pool. Please realize the pool bar is in the shallow end of the pool. You know the place where your kids may want to swim. Anyway if you're into that kind of thing, this is your place. If you like to have a responsible drink with your dinner, leave by 11am.
3) If you enjoy staying on the boards, this is not for you.
4) While the management made efforts to have family fun activies, the level of drinking made me uncomfortable.

Room Tip: Ask for Fatina's floor. She's great! We missed her the two days she had off during our vis...
2 Thank familyfun48
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

This place is not 5 star but has some nice things. Staff was nice and helpful. You can tell that it is an older hotel that has been redone. Nice to have a small kitchenett with refrigerator so you don't have to go out to eat for every meal. Ocean city in general is expensive. Beach is very nice. The pool is nice (a little small for the number of guest). My boys liked being able to get frozen drink while in the pool a real treat. There is also an indoor pool with 2 spas. The restaurant Reflections in the hotel was great. They had a early bird special with 3 course meals around $20 which is a good amount for the area. The food was really good and nice portions.
There was lots of places to eat and shop around.

1 Thank 4angel
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

The hotel is much older and the pool is smaller than it looks in the pictures. The service was great and all the staff were very nice! The beach is RIGHT outside of the hotel. Makes it convenient if u have small kids. Bed Bugs were a major concern for me but I checked the matress and didnt see a reason for alarm but still took extra precautions. The room was cleaned daily but was still a little dirty. Bring Lysol!

• Stayed July 2012