“Wonderful time”

Ranked #2 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
Camillus, New York
“Wonderful time”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2014

We totally enjoyed our stay at the Dunes. The location, at the beginning of the boardwalk, was convenient but far enough away from the crowds to keep it quiet. The staff was friendly and helpful. Cherie, the bartender at the beach bar, was awesome!! The room was clean and comfortable and had a great view of the ocean from the balcony. I would recommend the Dunes to anyone looking for a relaxing time!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Kyle J, General Manager at Dunes Manor Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
Dear Cheri H,

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your time with us. I want to thank you for being our guest and for your review. We look forward to your next visit to the Dunes Manor Hotel.

Kyle Johnson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (443)
Punta Cana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2014

We arrived at tea time and had the pleasure of enjoying a lovely cup of home-brewed tea (hot or cold available) with cookies and crumpets in the charming lobby - nice way to begin our stay. Our corner room was spacious enough (2 Queen beds), clean and cheerful with a sea-related color scheme, and a wonderful view of the ocean. The beach was a short walk across the dunes - quickly and easily accessible (though it would be helpful to have some ramps for those of us using wheeled carts) and it was very clean - I didn't even see any seaweed. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality and reasonable cost of the food & drinks, which we especially enjoyed sitting on the large oceanfront veranda. The breakfast buffet was excellent and the serving staff could not have been more friendly and helpful. The upper management staff was also visible and helpful. We did not encounter any rudeness from anyone and were struck by how friendly and accommodating everyone was (and we were with a lot of family members including toddlers, plus my husband using a walker and scooter). I understand the hotel has been undergoing updating/renovations (as I said - rooms were really nice) and I hope they work on the pool - I didn't think my husband's scooter would navigate around it and I know he wanted to use it. Another plus to this hotel: great location. Not only was it fairly close to the boardwalk, but we could walk to the Jolly Roger area with its amusements and Water Park (which our grandchildren and nephews loved. Overall, we really enjoyed our stay and would definitely choose to stay at the Dunes Hotel again.

Room Tip: Corner rooms have very large bathroom sink counter. Suites are especially nice for families because...
1 Thank Christine D
Kyle J, General Manager at Dunes Manor Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, August 5, 2014
Dear Christine D,

Thank you for sharing your review and for being our guest. I appreciate your kind words about our staff and the hotel. It is always good to read about the experiences of our guests.

We look forward to serving you again in the future.

CT
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2014

Okay, this review is for people who have stayed at the Hilton OC and are looking for a different hotel for whatever reason (Hilton is sold out, too expensive, wanna try something new…) We were the former of those three things and were forced to stay somewhere different because of a Hilton reservation accident. I typed everything I could think of into Google about Hilton and comparison hotels in the area. Nada. We chose Dunes because it's rated #2…how much worse can it be?

Pros:

Breakfast Buffet is excellent. Truly excellent. Eggs, sausage, bacon, biscuits and gravy, any pastry you've ever wanted, omelette station, and waffle station. I believe this is $13.95pp.
Afternoon tea is wonderful. Hot tea, iced tea, 3 types of cookies and crumpets with jam or butter…all for free.
The female, Bulgarian staff are superb, friendly, and interesting. We enjoyed talking to these girls.
Very good WIFI. Strong signal for two days.
Happy Hour from 2-5 at the bar downstairs. $1.50 beer on tap, $2.50 wine. Nice staff at this bar.
Beds were comfortable and linens appeared to be clean.
Close to the boardwalk.

Cons:

This is not the Hilton.
The bathrooms are bad. Just look at a floor plan on the Dunes website. The sink is outside of the bathroom. Why? Because there isn't even enough room for you to spread your legs to go to the bathroom. TMI? Sorry, it's true and this is particularly pertinent information for the elderly, obese, or handicap. Showertime was miserable. Didn't feel clean after getting out because the area is just so cramped and tight. I don't want to say it's dirty, because it's not…but maybe it's perma-dirty? Shower curtain stained, towels stained, hard water stains all over the chrome finishes so that they aren't even chrome anymore.
The calking in the bathroom is either terribly done or infested with mold. We weren't going to test it.
Pillows felt like a beanie-baby. All little pieces broken apart inside.
No blanket. Let me repeat, no blanket. First layer a sheet, second layer a thicker cotton waffle weave sheet, third layer a sheet. Yay!
The balcony is half the size of the Hilton, with filmy plastic chairs that may or may not break when you sit down. No tables on the balcony either.
The ceilings throughout the hotel are 7 feet. Sounds like a picky, ridiculous thing to say but boy does it make a different. It makes everything seem dingy, old, and cramped.
There is a smell that permeates the entire place. Whether you're at the front door, oceanside entrance, hotel lobby, hallways, or room, there is a musty, haven't-been-cleaned-in-100-years carpet smell. Not enough to make you sick, and unfortunately (or fortunately?) you get used to it.
The check-in lady is scary. Gruff, militant, and very serious. Not the best impression.

Another observation: I saw tons of elderly people (how'd they use those bathrooms?) But seriously. The oldest people I ever see over at the Hilton are in their 60's or 70's and not elderly. I saw 20-30 older people (80+) at the Dunes. And they were all happy and enjoying. It's an interesting observation because these folks grew up with that type styling...low ceilings, tight spaces, carpeting everywhere, odd colors....It sounds like an insult, but this is an excellent place to take your parents and make them happy. I just don't think this is ever going to appeal to the 20's-40's crowd.

4 Thank hollyandbitsy
Dear hollyandbitsy,

We know that you have many fine choices of places to stay when visiting Ocean City and the Hilton is certainly one of them. I understand that our hotel does not appeal to everyone and that there are significant differences between the Dunes Manor and the Hilton. I do want to thank you for staying with us, albeit you would have preferred to stay at the Hilton. I hope that you will be able to secure reservations with them during your next trip to Ocean City.

Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2014

My family and I have been staying at the beautiful Dunes Manor Hotel for 20 years now. The porch on the back has the most relaxing and beautiful ocean view that we've ever seen in Ocean City. The restaurant and bar have always been fabulous and the afternoon tea is perfect. The jewelry store in the lobby is a very nice touch and we love looking at the pictures in the hall that show historic Ocean City. The rooms just recently have got a much needed renovation and they are very nice. Improvements that we would like to see are a new pool area and an upgraded exercise room.

1 Thank Corina F
Dear Corina F,

Thank you for making the Dunes Manor Hotel your home when traveling to Ocean City. I was glad to read that you like the room renovations and I hope that you will enjoy some of the other improvements that we have planned. I look forward to your next visit.

Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2014

We always stay at Dunes Manor Hotel whenever we went to Ocean City,the last time before this time was in 2012 before the renovation,we loved it before and even more this time.the room was clean and refreshing with new color,breakfast buffet was great with varieties of food,I loved omlet station,we also took advantage of early bird dinner coupon one evening and the food was very good.Every staffs from the front desk to the waiters and waitress were professional.We loved afternoon tea and the balcony facing the ocean.We highly recommend this hotel to everybody.

1 Thank Pam T
Kyle J, General Manager at Dunes Manor Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Dear Pam T,

I was delighted to read that you liked the room renovations and the addition of our breakfast buffet. I want to thank you for staying with us again and for taking the time to complete a review on tripadvisor.com. I look forward to your next visit to the Dunes Manor Hotel.

New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for a long weekend (July 11-14) and we had the best time. We drove in from NY at about 2:00am, and there was a nice lady waiting to check us in, it was quick and friendly and there was plenty of parking. Our room was clean and bright (we'll get back to the "bright" part later). We had an amazing ocean view off our balcony which was perfect every morning with our Starbucks coffee, which by the way they provide for you! Its is just a block away from all the action on the boardwalk and they have the tram station right there so if you weren't in the mood to walk you had the option. They have a restaurant and 2 bars, we didn't eat at the "Victoria Room" but we ate at the "barefoot bar" and the food was good, right off the beach and it seemed really fresh! We didn't take advantage of "tea time" or the "sing along" but walked by it a few times, it really looked like people were enjoying themselves, i'm not knocking it, its just not our thing. They had some live music outside which, although we weren't at the bar, we could hear it from the beach...really nice! We never visited the pool, but on our way we ran into an extremely kind employee who asked us how we were enjoying our stay, his name was Bob I think and we had a really nice conversation with him, in fact all the staff including house keeping were extremely nice! When the 3rd floor ice machine ran out of ice, one of the staff offered to go to a different floor and get some for us to put in our cooler, that to me is just going above and beyond.

If I absolutely HAD to complain about something:
we did a sweep of our room before check out to make sure we didn't leave anything behind and there was a soda can under the night stand...we don't drink soda.

Room was extremely bright in the morning, some people may like that but, I prefer to sleep in on vacation and after bar hoping on the boardwalk, it was like an ice pick thru my head. Black out drapes would have been stellar!

Other than that we had a great time and I don't see why we would stay anywhere else! I'm sure I forgot some things so if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Thanx for reading

2 Thank Donny1113
Dear Donny1113,

I really don’t know why anyone would stay anywhere else? Perhaps they never stayed with us before. On a serious note, thank you for being our guest and for sharing your experience on tripadvisor.com. I have addressed your observations with our Housekeeping team and want to apologize that the room was not perfect, as it should have been.

We hope to serve you again on your next trip to Ocean City.

PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2014

Stayed here in Dec 2013.. it was decorated beautifully. loved the high tea and the views were the best. everyone made you feel like family and it was overall very warm and inviting. it was great swimming in the indoor heated pool in the winter. Hope to go going again this year.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank karen411
Kyle J, General Manager at Dunes Manor Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, August 8, 2014
Dear karen411,

We truly appreciate your review and comments. I also want to thank you for being our guest.
We look forward to seeing you again soon at the Dunes Manor Hotel.