“Website Issues - Thanksgiving”

Dunes Manor Hotel & Suites
Ranked #4 of 104 Hotels in Ocean City
Reviewed December 8, 2013

Because we had stayed here previously and enjoyed it - We booked a Thanksgiving holiday weekend stay (Wed 26th - Sun 30th 2013). We booked this - from the Dunes Manor website in July 2013. We received a confirmation email in return. In September, we sent them an email - from the 'contact us' portion of the same website - asking about reservations for Thanksgiving dinner and if there would be a requirement for dress at the dinner. We received no reply.
The Saturday prior, I checked the web page and found that there was a "Thanksgiving Package" and that people should make reservations. I called the number and spoke to a pleasant woman who verified our reservation and connected me to the restaurant. There I was told that they were completely booked, and they could possibly fit me in at 7 PM. She offered to put me on 'stand-by' - in case someone else canceled. She gave me the name of a restaurant in town that might have an opening, and asked why I did not book 'the package'. I explained that it was not offered on the website in July or September, that other places I had stayed over a holiday, gave priority to their residential guests for meals, and that we were not willing to travel down there just to fast over Thanksgiving. She told me that I should have called rather than use the web page.
We re-contacted the desk and cancelled the reservation. I explained to that woman that the web page did not list a 'Package', and that I sent an email on this topic - but never received a reply. She indicated that the web site was maintained by a third party, and that if I had called, the desk staff would have explained/offered the package, and made the reservation.
After we made other plans (two hours later) we were called and told that someone had cancelled their reservation - and there was now an opening for dinner, which made me suspect that we'b be jammed-in to a temporary table - so we did not re-establish the reservations.
I strongly recommend that anyone making reservations here, follow-up with a phone call far in advance of your reservation.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Phil1ip
Shirley D, Director of Sales at Dunes Manor Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2013

We are so sorry to hear about the issues you had when trying to book the restaurant for Thanksgiving. Your advice to call ahead is very accurate. We sell out in our restaurant every Thanksgiving and in fact, most holidays. I was discouraged to hear that you sent a email and no one got back to you. I will definitely check to see what the disconnect was. I do appreciate you communicating the problems you had. We can't get better if we don't know when things are wrong so thanks for that. We do offer the Thanksgiving package every year and it usually isn't put on the web site until around late October to early November, however, you don't have to book the package to eat in the restaurant. We certainly hope that you will come back to stay with us next Thanksgiving. Please feel free to call us about any questions you may have. We do answer our phones twenty four seven and would be delighted to help with any questions you have. We hope you have a great holiday and hope to see you next year!

Reviewed December 3, 2013

Just returned from a weekend in OCMD. Hotel is newly renovated so it was a good value for the money. Staff was very friendly. "Jedi" Chas the bartender was able to handle a big happy hour in the lounge, never leaving us with an empty glass. Happy hour beer, shrimp, and wings specials were great. Don't forget to ask the front desk about dining dollars...$15 for $20 value.

Room Tip: Ocean front, who can complain.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank MichelleS13
Shirley D, Director of Sales at Dunes Manor Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2013

We're so glad that you were able to visit Ocean City. We are even more thrilled that out of all your choices, you picked Dunes Manor for your stay. It sounds like you had a good trip and it also sounds like you had the opportunity to meet some of our wonderful team members. So glad everything went well and you were able to take advantage of all the great values we offer. We look forward to seeing you next time you get the chance to come back!

Reviewed November 21, 2013

Recently had lunch there and the restaurant overlooks the beach. What a view. Food was great and the service was good. Been in the hotel over Christmas and seen it decorated for the holiday.
Be sure to visit just to see these decorations. Be sure to look at the picture in the bar area of Zippy Lewis. She was a beachcomber that haunted the beach looking for treasures about 90 years ago.
Nice to see the hotel high light such an interesting character.

Room Tip: didn't stay there as i live in the area.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Shirley D, Director of Sales at Dunes Manor Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2013

So glad to hear someone comment on the picture of Zippy Lewis in our Zippy lounge. You are correct about her history! We actually have a plaque next to the picture with some info, but the bartender would be more than happy to provide the full written story if asked. You mentioned our Christmas decorations as well. They are actually being put up as I write this. The train garden is coming along nicely. I agree, our decorations for the holidays are beautiful and the spirit is alive at Dunes Manor Hotel! Glad to hear you come to our restaurant as a local. We actually have quite a few locals that meet their families at our restaurant for their holiday dinner. Many of their family members come from out of town and stay here as a group. One of those groups is planning to show a slide show this year of all the years they have been coming here for Thanksgiving as a family. Sounds like a nice tradition! In any case thanks for coming to our restaurant and many thanks for taking time to write about it!

Reviewed November 17, 2013

Hi, this is TravelManiac1998, and I am reviewing an exceptionally amazing hotel (after the renovation, that is), the Dunes Manor. I've visited this hotel many times, so I have a lot of experience on it. Allow me to say that I am very pleased with the hotel overall. The renovation was also perfected, allowing the ground and lobby floors to keep its grand Victorian style, while completely refurbishing the rooms & suites and making them suitable and comfortable for the guests to stay in. I admire your strict policies, and appreciate your current room cleanliness and removal of annoying comforters on the bed. I also am thankful for making the edges of the bed curved. Last time we stayed here, my mother cut her leg because of the sharp edges on the corner of the bed. The service was fair enough, although it was a bit bittersweet, but it was high enough for our expectations. At least the elevators were faster this time, and I'm happy for that. I love the location, very close to the boardwalk yet situated on beautiful 28th street. I loved the food outside at the deck, at the Zippy Lewis Lounge, Milton's Café and in the Victorian Room Restaurant. I really admire the British tradition of 3pm tea and crumpets. The selection of cookies were my favorite, and for a stomach cool down, I had the refreshing lemon water. Before I end the review, let's not forget the indoor/outdoor pool with half ocean, half front view. Seabonay and Dunes motel are seen in the distance. I like how cautious you are for the spa. 10 minutes at a time! The showers next door are convenient, and the accessibility lift for the handicapped elderly. I'd also like to mention the main advantage of the hotel, that all the rooms are oceanfront! Anyway, I deeply thank you for improvising this traditional Manor which once used to be the sweet heart of Ocean City through the nightlife and piano entertainment. Thank you for making Ocean City a better place.
Wish you all the best,
TravelManiac1998

• Stayed: September 2013
4  Thank TravelManiac1998
Shirley D, Director of Sales at Dunes Manor Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2013

Thank you so much! Not just for making the Dunes a place you frequent but for taking the time to let us know how we are doing. We are so thrilled that you like the renovations. We wouldn't dream of taking away the charm of the lobby and appearance of the hotel. With our high tea and crumpets, we know it brings back the charm of days long gone and keeps alive the tradition Mrs. Conner started when she built the hotel. It's always nice to hear that the honoring of that tradition is appreciated. As the world outside of the Dunes tends to getting moving faster, everyday, you can expect Dunes to continue to be that step back, where you can come to unwind, reminisce and rejuvenate yourself . We look forward to being that place for you now and in the future!

Reviewed November 5, 2013

We recently stayed at the Dunes for an unseasonably warm week in Oct. '13. I read the reviews on tripadvisor that did help me chose this hotel. One of the negative reviews stated that the front desk could be a little more friendly...my experience was about 50-50. They seem to be very strict about the 3pm check-in which is okay because that is stated when you make your reservation. The rate was fabulous and the reservationist was extremely helpful in securing a great rate for the 3 nights we booked...we later extended it one day because the weather was beautiful and we were so pleased with the hotel overall. I have been going to Ocean City for over 50 years and we normally stay on the bay in the summer months so this was a real treat to be right on the ocean. The lobby was very grand and the pictures and photos of old ocean city were amazing. Afternoon tea is so nostalgic of the ocean city grand hotels in years past. The "veranda" with the rocking chairs is a great touch!! I loved the feel the hotel gave you. The room was perfect-the view and recent renovation (I read about) made the room so comfortable. The balcony was very private.We slept with the window open to the sounds of the ocean every night...so peaceful. The beds were very comfy..I loved all the pillows. They have a great happy hour in the bar and both bartenders we encountered were friendly and very attentive-they both deserve recognition for their services. (we stayed the week of Oct.27th) The proximity the boardwalk is a plus also. We did not eat in the restaurant but it appears that the service and friendliness was evident. We will return!!!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mzuder

The team here at the Dunes was so encouraged by your wonderful review. Thank you for taking the time to let us know what you thought of our renovations. Your comments about the bar tenders will certainly be passed on to both of them. We hope you'll be back to see us again soon!

Reviewed October 16, 2013

My husband and I decided to have a fall vacation at Ocean City, Maryland. It was a bonus that it happened to be during the car show. We picked the Dunes because it was near the boardwalk and the rates were reasonable. This hotel is very clean and the staff are friendly and helpful. We loved that is has an indoor and outdoor pool with a hot tub, and all rooms are oceanfront balconies. Not that we used it much, but despite the complaints I had read in other reviews, we had strong internet access on the 4th floor. The covered parking is also a plus!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jodi C
Shirley D, Director of Sales at Dunes Manor Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

We are delighted that your husband and you chose our hotel for your fall vacation. Thank you for taking time to write about your experience here at The Dunes Manor Hotel. So glad you mentioned that you didn't have any trouble with the internet. In fact, we heard the past complaints and have upgraded our internet service. We hope to see you and your husband again soon. Christmas is a great time to visit also. The Victorian charm of the hotel adds to the ambiance of the Christmas atmosphere. Our decorations will be up the Monday after Thanksgiving. Thanks again for taking time to write about your experience with us!

Reviewed October 7, 2013 via mobile

my cousin and I had a quick girls weekend in sept at the Dunes Manor. The lobby was very nice with a piano and tea at check in time. The room was very spacious and had a beautiful ocean front view. Very clean!! We forgot our bottom opener and the nice lady at the bar was more then happy to help us. We would definitely stay again!

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Sounds like you and your cousin had a great time! Thanks for taking time to write about your stay with us. Glad to hear you enjoyed our piano sing-a-longs and afternoon tea. We will be right here if you and your cousin decide to do it again next year!