“Mediocre Condos at High Price”

Century 1 Condominium
Reviewed August 15, 2011

If you decide to rent one of these condos it's important to note that each unit is privately owned so everyone's experience will be different. The condo we stayed was in severe need of an update. The carpet was so dirty that after an hour of walking on the floor our socks were black. The furniture was flimsy and uncomfortable. There was nothing to clean with as the owner claimed a cleaning lady came in every week with her own supplies. Light shined in each room because the curtains were so thin. Every closet had things simply shoved in them with no organization. The only redeeming quality was there was a nice ocean view from the balcony and you could walk right out on to the beach from the building. I would definitely try renting a house next time instead of a condo because they are just not laid out well and their expensive.

Room Tip: Carefully read the description of each condo and see if there are any other user reviews
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank worldtraveler9857

Reviewed October 27, 2010

We went to OC in August (me, my husband, our 2 year old son and my parents). Our unit was spacious enough for 2 families and relatively clean. My only real concern is the balconies. There is enough space under the bottom rail for a small child to fit underneath. We were always very careful our son stayed far enough away from the balcony railing. Other than that, it is a decent place to stay for a week as we typically spend most of our time on the beach and being out and about anyways. We look at it like we would rather spend a little less on our room so that we can spend more on activities. We found a happy medium with the Century I. I would stay here again.

Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank DevinsMommy
Reviewed October 17, 2010

Our unit was trashed when we got there. The smell was awful. We had to mop up the tile floor in the kitchen area because there was something all over it (felt like vasoline). Dishes were not clean. The worst part is that I never got my security deposit back. Basically, we left our unit in much better shape than we found it in but still lost the security deposit. Single worst rental I have ever had. I feel scammed. They never told me why we didn't get the deposit back and I can't get ahold of anyone to discuss the matter.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
4  Thank traveler1234568
Reviewed September 10, 2010

Century 1 Unit 1413 is a 2 story/2 Bedroom-2 bathroom condo unit on the 14th floor, about mid-building in what we were told is the tallest building in OCMD. The entrance to this unit is via a corridor/hall and adjacent to the elevators on bayside. The unit was neat, clean, well-equipped and tastefully decorated and was more than adequate enough to accomodate our family of four for a week. The kitchen was especially spacious, appears to have been recently re-done and except for the oven, had newer full-size appliances. The furniture was comfy and the bedrooms and living room all have flat Tv's. It was very clean and overall it was one of the nicest condos we've ever rented. The central AC unit kept the place very comfortable too. The living room has an oceanfront balcony, the upper(master) bedroom has a bayview window, the lower bedroom had a walk-out bayview balcony. The bathrooms are located right next to each bedroom and were small (I'm under 5' and believe a "larger" size person may find it tight) but the rest of the unit was spacious, with plenty of dresser & closet storage as well. Building charges $30 registration/parking fee at time of check-in and requires a tag when you're parked in the lot and there was always a space available when we parked. Bagged trash can be deposited via trash chute at the end of the hall on each floor (did not see recycling facilities). I really liked this unit but the building itself was not appealing.

Century I location is off a busy section of Coastal Highway. In addition to the difficulty exiting the parking lot and crossing the street outside the unit, we could feel and hear street traffic long into the night from the bedrooms(with windows closed). Additionally, several times during our stay (once at 3:45 am) we were jilted from bed due to sirens. I'm not sure how close the fire dept is, but it felt like the alarm was just outside the windows. During "busy times" of arrival/departure to the condo(posted on the door) you are not allowed to use the service elevator to transport your own belongings or otherwise, it is for condo personnel only. Mandatory bellhop service wasn't friendly and your only other option is to use the building's main elevators after climbing 3 flights of stairs at the entrance. (I wish the rental company had informed us ahead of time of this.) There is also NO way to access the beach that doesn't involve stairs. Whether you ride to 1st floor or ground level, you have to do stairs so trying to wheel a beach cart or navigate with small kids is difficult. There is a sundeck on 1st floor, but only accessible thru the lobby, has very few chairs and no beach access either. The building does not allow beach traffic to use the regular elevators--all beach traffic plus incoming guests or grocery carts(for shopping) use a slow, overburdened service elevator. At any time during our stay the service elevator wait was at least 10 minutes. The indoor pool is not attached to the main building; it requires going outside and entering a designated passcode. I found the pool building interior to be needing some cosmetic updates, but the water was clean & there were always enough chairs for our family.

I'm going to recommend this UNIT--it was perfect; I could see myself living there. The owner shares my decorating "tastes". However, I really don't care for the Century I building overall and am not likely to rent ANY unit in this building again. Century I doesn't seem very visitor, family or beach friendly.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
5  Thank b4bunch
Reviewed May 21, 2010

We stayed on the 19th floor, the condo I booked through VRBO (Vacation Rentals by Owner". The condo was very, very clean, wonderfully set up. The two story condos in the buidling are just perfect. The views of the ocean and the bay are absolutely wonderful.

The only down side is trying to find a "cart" to get your stuff to the condo, but we waited and it worked out.

Pool is nice, and having the showers outside to wash off is excellent.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mocha0711
Reviewed January 11, 2010

I recently went with my family and husband to the Century 1 in Ocean City, Md and enjoyed myself thoroughly. The condo had all of the accommodations that I liked and was very neat and clean. There were three balconies, two facing the ocean and one facing the bay. I loved how we could just walk out on the beach. I also loved the happy hour at Bull on the Beach, which was only a five block walk.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank rachel617
Reviewed November 20, 2009

I stayed there with my wife and kids, the place is great !!! We thought the indoor pool was great, nice way to end a day at the beach. We appreciate how clean the unit was. I will be renting again next year.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family