“Simple, Cheap, Good!”
Review of Englanders

Englanders
Ranked #11 of 53 Restaurants in Oakland
Reviewed November 11, 2014

We were tooling around Oakland and wanted a little lunch before a hike at Swallow Falls State Park and happened upon this place. We ended up at the counter and once we looked at the menu we were sold. There were four of us and we all got burgers. I loved that we could sub in Tater Tots for fries! The other customers seemed like a mix of regulars and others that had just stumbled upon the place. Good service - our waitress was attentive and the food was simple but good. You can't beat the price (cheaper than some fast food joints) and we enjoyed a stroll through the nooks and crannies of items for sale. I'd definitely go back!

1  Thank littlejunk

Reviewed June 23, 2014

The buckwheat cakes are wonderful, and the hometown atmosphere is great! Don't be surprised if one of the regulars offers to pour you a cup of coffee, or passes you syrup before your server brings it to you. Even if you don't know anyone, you will find the 'overheard gossip' entertaining! The antique shopping afterward gives you a little time to digest and I always find some fascinating treasure I just have to buy!

Reviewed May 4, 2014

I am giving a high rating based more on the experience than the food. The food was good, but this place is an old lunch counter at the back of what I assume was an old downtown department store. Among their offerings are real ice cream sodas! Prices reasonable, staff friendly and interesting selection of things to order. I hope to eat there again someday.

Reviewed February 26, 2014 via mobile

Had to see what the "talk" was about this place. Went at lunch time. Offered the typical lunch counter food. Burgers, hot dogs, other sandwiches. Town people gather there for lunch to talk not for the food Sitting surrounded by the antique store may be quaint but not worth the food. My boiled hot dog with canned chili sauce was not worth the visit. Memories can't make the visit worthwhile.

2  Thank dee8306
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Englanders was a traditional pharmacy with a lunch counter at the back. It is now a Second Hand/Antique store. The store is fabulous I could spend hours looking at the antiques and collectibles. If you see something you like, buy it because it won't be there when you go back. As far at the lunch counter goes, the food is average but very reasonably priced. I had an egg salad sandwich, which was quite tasty but there are better food choices nearby.