“Quality review”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Oakland
Arlington, Virginia
“Quality review”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

This property wowed us when we pulled in late at night.
We smiled our way to our room only to be pleasenty suprised when we oped our room door. The A line was awesome and the smell and cleanliness wowed us.
The morning view was breathtaking and location was perfect. We used the facilities in the lounge area to relax by the fireplace while the kids gathered around to play games and chill out.
The staff was very friendly and knowledgeable. we will definitly reccomend this to family and friends. It's perfect for a couple or a family coming in for a fun weekend or just a quick solo getaway to destress.

Room Tip: Families with younger kids should be on the first level as the upper level is tempting to do cart wh...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
, General Manager at Inn At Deep Creek, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Hello,

Thank you so very much for taking the time to review Inn at Deep Creek. We enjoyed having you and the girls stay with us an got all of you great vacation pictures in the email. We look forward to having you back as our guest very soon. Summer is also a great time to visit Deep Creek.

Thanks Again!!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Reading, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 26, 2013

My boyfriend and I just spent the weekend here. We had never been to the Deep Creek area, and we could not be happier with this hotel. It was very nicely furnished, the beds were irresistibly comfortable, and we had a view of the lake covered in snow - it was simply beautiful. We will recommend this hotel to everyone we know.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Julia F
Belmont, Ohio
Reviewed March 6, 2013

I've stayed here three or four times now while on business. I thought that it was time that I wrote a review. I've been traveiling in this area for 20 years now, and I've probably stayed at every hotel in Deep Creek. Since the first time, I've loved this place. It was recently recommended because it has undergone major remodeling. The rooms may not be ultra-modern, but that's one of the things that I like. It is clean and tidy and the fireplace rooms have all the amenities that I need. I would recommend The Inn at Deep Creek to the frequent traveler on business, or to a couple for a romantic weekend. Hopefully I can get my wife here soon.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank Patrick D
Silver Spring, Maryland
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Deep Creek weekend:

My family ( wife and two daughters) planned a long weekend to ski at Wisp Resort in the Deep Creek Lake area of MD. My wife and I both have vacationed in Deep Creek over the years (in both summer and winter seasons), but this was the first time in many years and for our girls, ages eight and 11. Since this was a ski trip, I explored a few lodging options at Wisp, including some of the rental town homes on the mountain, but decided to keep the lodging cost for a three day/two night stay under $500. I settled on the Inn at Deep Creek which is about five miles from the ski resort. Its in a good location near the lake, restaurants, the state park, etc.

The Inn is rustic at first glance. In a different geography, the Inn is an average motel with a lakeside view. I'm sure the charm of the place most likely radiates better in the summer months with its proximity to the lake, but it's a little underwhelming when the sun goes down before 5pm as it does in winter The front desk is staffed by very friendly family members or in-laws ( I assumed they were related in some way when one of the staff said she lived in one of the rooms). There is a pleasant lounge area that runs the length of the first floor and within it are board games, books, a fireplace, comfy sofas and chairs, a computer desk and a snack table that is stocked with coffee and danishes in the morning. Other amenities include free wifi (nice) and loaner ipads(no fee). And I believe there's a small pool and outdoor amenities including grills and a boat dock that you would use in the summer.

As for the room, I have to start with the fact that it wasn't ready when we arrived. We drove up from three hours away that morning, spent a few hours at Wisp and arrived around 2:30pm. This appeared to be the time they started to make our room ready and the desk clerk said it would be an hour. We went to a nearby Pizzario Uno's and returned around 3:40 and still waited another 15-20 minutes. It was Saturday, but The Inn was hardly packed with people and considering most of their guests are driving in from another destination, the delay was a mild annoyance. Our room was on the first floor which meant we could walk right out into the lounge area; in a sense, access to the lounge expands your room size, but, of course, the space is shared with any other guests around. The room itself was as described on the web site. A king bed with a sleeper sofa, kitchenette with microwave, full size stove and refrigerator and a nice size table for eating which is good when traveling with kids. The room was a good size overall ( we usually try to stay in suites when traveling with the kids), but the our bathroom was too small and in need of some serious upgrading. I was surprised to read in their brochure that there had been a remodel in 2010; not in the bathroom apparently. The floors are also a bit thin, so be mindful of walking/stomping above you if on the ground floor. The Inn is also pet friendly, so random barking was part of our experience when its owners left the dog behind for the evening. Our kids loved the sleeper sofa's foam mattress, so that was a plus. The the furniture was in good shape and the room had plenty of lamps, but there was a dimness to our space; the room was not bright in the evenings. Finally, the heat/ac unit was right next to the bed and blew warm air directly onto/across the head of the bed. There did not appear to be a way to turn the vents in a different direction to avoid air blowing into your face while sleeping.

Mainly, the service at the Inn was satisfactory, but the appearance of not being prepared for our arrival was a gap. Another is that there is a prominently displayed envelope for tipping the maid in the room, but we never had any kind of cleaning happen in the room since the initial check-in; no one came to empty the trashcans over the two evenings there nor restock any kitchen and bath supplies. My wife stayed in the second day and asked for service twice with no results, though she did get extra towels. But they never took the used ones???

As a recommendation, I would say that if you are a low maintenance, self-sufficient traveler, the Inn is pleasant enough. But our rate of $223/night was an overpayment considering the service level. The Inn is a cheaper alternative to the mountain properties for a winter weekend, but that seems to be all it is. It reminded me of visiting an older aunt who keeps her home tidy, comfortable, and welcoming for all who cross her doorstep, but otherwise, what you see is what you get.

Room Tip: choose an upper room to avoid heavy footsteps above you
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank Farmerica
Elkridge, Maryland
Reviewed February 11, 2013

My wife I spent the night here after a snow day over a Wisp. We were originally going to stay at the Wisp Resort but they were all sold out. In looking for alternate accommodations, we found this very nice place. The room was very clean and comfortable. It was also conveniently just a very short drive from the mountain.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 0mac9
Ft. Lauderdale
Reviewed February 6, 2013 via mobile

This place is amazing. Rustic but modern updated rooms with fireplace in scenic mountains, the perfect overnight romantic getaway. Sherri the Innkeeper was above and beyond helpful for great breakfast recommendation and expressed concerned for my arrival as we were driving through a storm. When we got there they had a log and matches for the fireplace. It was right next to the grocery store an the room had all the amenities, fridge, freezer, microwave and kuerig. The bed was amazing. We were given the executive king suite with a fireplace. My advice splurge. The soaps were even amazing philosophy. I could not even express how amazed I am at how wonderful and relaxing this stay was. I will definitely be coming back. Soon hopefully

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank punkgrrl_00
Bethesda, Maryland
Reviewed January 21, 2013

We brought the family up for a ski weekend at Wisp (I'm the faculty advisor for a local collegiate ski team), including our family dog, a 4 month old Newfoundland. The Inn was a good value. We stayed in a double queen room with fireplace. It was a bit cramped for all of us and ski gear (2 adults, a HS senior, and 2 grade schoolers), but the room itself was quite spacious compared to the average hotel room. The kitchenette has a large emphasis on the "ette" part, but did include a fridge, sink and microwave, which was enough to store/prepare the picnic lunches for the ski lodge, and the duraflame only fireplace was a nice touch to the chilly mornings. There was a group of younger folks partying next door one night, but overall, it was OK. The pet friendly policy was really nice, and overall, we'd stay again on a trip to Deep Creek from DC.

Room Tip: If you're a large scale coffee drinker, be advised that they have the Keurig systems in the room...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oakland
The Lodges at Sunset Village
#1 of 2 in McHenry
The Garrett Inn
The Garrett Inn
#1 of 5 in Oakland

Been to Inn At Deep Creek? Share your experiences!