“Complete experience”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Was invited to meet friends at the Cornish Inn which is slightly off the beaten track in Oakland, but draws a strong cadre of locals and adventurous visitors who venture away from nearby Deep Creek proper. The stately Victorian manor is in fine shape and features several dining areas. Our server was attentive and handled our large group expertly. I was in the mood for a burger and got the best one I've ever had!

Reviewed July 30, 2013

I was a frequent customer of this restaurant, but not after today.

Watched a waitress brush her hair next to the salad area. She did not wash her hands and used her hands, not tongs, to put the salad on the plate.

I expect restaurants to have cleaner standards than I do at home. Touching your face & hair then touching food that someone else is to eat is totally unacceptable.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

This is away from the tourist areas and most customers are locals or part-timers. The atmosphere in the Victorian building is unique and the food has been consistently outstanding, as has the service. Not to be missed: prime rib dinners on Thursday.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

Cornish Manor is a very good dining experience, but falls short of excellent. I had the parmesan-encrusted talapia over noodles. The fish taste was a bit overwhelmed by the batter covering. The presentation was blase. At the same time, I must say that the noodle sauce/fish sauce was quite special, and so improved the dish to the point of being very good. My girlfriend ordered the Salmon Caesar Salad. She thought the salmon was very good and that the salad was quite good and beautifully presented. We had the mouse for dessert. I LOVE mouse, and so had to order despite being stuffed. Unfortunately, the mouse was too heavy, grainy in texture, and too sweet. We each could only eat a couple of bites, and had to stop. Unfortunately ending. Still, I would recommend this place because I think it has good potential. I would also like it if they had more vegetarian choices on the menu.

Reviewed July 4, 2013

ordered a bottle of Prosecco. Waitress came back and said they had none chilled, so it would be awhile while they chill it. (Why have it on the list if you can't serve it?---one wonders what other sparkling wines and what white wines are on the list but can't be served. Better to have a smaller list of wines that are ready and chilled than a long list of wines you can't serve, don't you think?)
The crabcakes were pretty ordinary. They were large but not so great. The dinners were served with rice and mixed vegetables, which were ok, but the presentation wasn't great and the food was all barely warmed. It's a bit expensive for this area, and if you are going to charge a threefold markup on wine from retail, and charge $20-$28 for entrees, you really ought to do it right. Oh, by the way, by the time the Prosecco came we were done with the salads and half done with the entrees, and the waitress, a nice person, had apparently never opened a sparkling wine before. I showed her how.