“Great - Except on Trash Days!”

and 1 more site!
Suites at Silver Tree
Reviewed August 19, 2013

It was a nice place for the weekend. However, the trash dumpster was right outside our bedroom window and the trash company showed up at 0600 on Monday morning. They pulled the loud trash truck right outside our bedroom window..When they used the compacter it sounded like a train was coming through the wall. I spoke to the hired help working on the grounds and was informed management was aware of this situation. I also mentioned the situation to the checkout folks and was told that they didn't have control of when the trash was picked up. My thought is a little inconsiderate of the hotel toward the paying renters....We didn't need to be sucker punched at 0600 in the morning. They really should relocate these dumpster's. My advise is don't stay in the end units of this resort on their trash days. Other than that it was a nice place.

Room Tip: End units with trash units outside the windows are not good on trash days
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank soakingitin

Reviewed August 7, 2013

We originally planned on staying here over the winter but we had to cancel our trip due to a snow storm. We fully expected to lose our money but the Silver Tree gave us credit for our entire amount and allowed us to reschedule our stay. That was fantastic!

The main building was nicely furnished. There was an upstairs board game room, free dvd rentals and free coffee too. You could walk out the back onto a nice deck area which overlooked the lake.

Our room was well kept. It was very clean and the furniture seemed newer. There was a full size refrigerator, a dishwasher and a microwave...but no stove. A few critiques: the kitchen area could use much better lighting, our room could sleep four people but there were only two chairs around the dining table and our mattress was very, very firm...bordering on uncomfortable.

We look forward to returning to Deep Creek. If we stay less than a week, we'd stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 6, 2013

My wife and I reserved a room (based on the great reviews here) and upon arrival there was an issue with the room that was beyond the control of the staff and management. I asked for a different room but none was available. (There was some equipment that generated noise and heat that made sitting out doors unpleasant, sleeping difficult, and opening the windows not an option) The ladies at the desk were wonderful but there really wasn't anything they could do. At the end of the stay I wrote what I hoped was a respectful letter to the management company explaining the issue but also letting them know the staff was great and based on the staff and location we would be staying at the Silver Tree again and their response bowled us over. We received an understanding note with a complete refund!

The hotel is gorgeous. The well maintained grand deck has nice furnishings and was a very popular hang-out for familiies and friends, the attached pub drew lots of travellers to the music and atmosphere. The interior lodge is also beautiful. We almost wished it was winter so we could have a glass of wine in the lodge near the fireplaces. The attached "Dutche's is excellent with an outstanding Chef- perfect NY strip (blackened w/a little blue cheese crust). We'll be back in the fall.

Room Tip: Avoid room 115.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 25, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for our 10 anniversary. After 10PM there is NO SECURITY. We were disturbed by a crowd in the hall (10PM – 4PM) and was threatened when we asked them to go into their rooms. NEVER AGAIN!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Leslie H
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Would recommend this place to ANYONE. Friends have stayed here. I saw the rooms firsthand, before I ever booked one. Exactly what you see on the webiste is what you get. Rooms are nice. Employees are always friendly and courteous. More affordable if you are not alone for a stay here...

Room Tip: No pool or hot tub. Could use both, to make it even more enjoyable.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We had a family getaway here last summer and while there were good things about the property, I would probably try something else the next time we go to Deep Creek. With 3 boys, we wanted a suite so that we could spread out a bit. Our lake view suite with loft was nice and big. However, in order to maximize the number of lake view rooms, the suites are very long and narrow. There is just one window in each room, which leads to the feeling of being in a long, dark cave. Since these are privately-owned units that are rented out by the hotel, the decor of your room depends on your owners' tastes. Our owners did nothing to brighten the space. There is a beach in front of the hotel, but it is rocky and not really conducive to swimming or even lounging. There is a really nice deck in front of the hotel where you can sit out and look at the lake. However, with no bar or table service, you need to walk next door to the restaurant to grab a drink (and you have to get a drink in a plastic cup if you want to take it back to the hotel deck). We noticed lots of other guests who had brought their own appetizers, wine and glasses. Since we had not planned for this, we were stuck drinking plastic cups of wine on the deck, which was not really the most pleasant way to enjoy the view.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Danielle C
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Stayed here as part of surprise trip for my boyfriend's birthday. Having never been to the area I chose to stay here based solely on the reviews I read. I couldn't agree more with all the positive things that have been said!

Check-in was prompt, easy, and done by friendly employees. The room was exactly as pictured online, we were in A125, a corner unit, and it couldn't have provided a warmer or cozier place for us to retire after an afternoon of playing in the snow at Wisp (bonus, the room next to that suite is a supply closet, so it's even MORE private :). I was also pleased at how quiet it was compared to a lot of the hustle and bustle of tourists in the area.

The view from the room was breathtaking, and we lucked out that a big, beautiful snow storm had just gone through the area before we got there. My boyfriend braved the foot of snow to enjoy walking around the balcony, and it looked like he had fun! The cabinets in the kitchenette were well stocked with a variety of glasses, plates, silverware, etc. And the dishwasher allowed for easy clean up at the end of our stay. The little flat screen TV mounted on the wall by the bed was a nice touch, and we enjoyed channel surfing while eating breakfast in bed.

To address some of the complaints that I've read about this place, I guess I must like a really firm mattress, because I slept like a rock! I also took an unplanned nap after breakfast the next morning because it was just such a comfy bed. Also, some reviewers are right that there isn't a ton of light, but we didn't mind it at all. We had several of the soft, low-wattage lights on during the evening, with the fire place going, and it just added to the snug ambiance of the place. We had all the light we needed to play cards and drink wine, so we were fine!

Overall we really enjoyed our stay here, and if we're even back in the Deep Creek area, this will be the place we'll stay!

Room Tip: Again, Suite A125 is the way to go if you're looking for some more privacy, as it is a corner un...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Maggie B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oakland
4 mi away
Blue Moon Rising
Blue Moon Rising
#1 of 2 in McHenry
Nemacolin Woodlands Resort

Been to Suites at Silver Tree? Share your experiences!