“Another perfect Get Away”

Suites at Silver Tree
West lanham, Md
“Another perfect Get Away”
Reviewed November 4, 2012

My family and I are regulars to Deep Creek Lake. Our recent visit was to enjoy the beautiful mountains in the fall. The staff and accommodations at the Suites was top notch yet again. We have stayed at a few other places in the past but our heart always brings us back here. The hotel itself is simply beautiful, always clean and very comfortable. We always feel right at home. The staff has always been very friendly and eager to answer any questions we may have.

The Dutch's is a great place to eat, right on site. We loved the addition of the game room and free DVD movie rentals. Everything you need or want is located all very close to the hotel. It was so nice setting on the back deck sharing a glass of Merlot watching the activity on the water...... So very peaceful!

We will certainly return again.... And again....and again!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Union Bridge, Maryland
Reviewed October 23, 2012

My husband and I stayed in Silver Tree for the weekend while looking at houses on the lake to purchase. With no sucess in finding a home in our price range we realized that what we were looking for was at Silver Tree. The staff were very helpful and friendly. Went out of their way to make sure we had everything we needed. The restaurant connected to the suites is a great plus along with Silver Tree Marine. Who could ask for anything more?? It was like a one stop shop!! Great place to sleep, eat, drink and play. We are hoping to purchase one of the suites and call it our 2nd home!!! I would recommend anyone to give Silver Tree a try. You will not regret it!!!!!!

Room Tip: End units are larger and have more windows for the beautiful views
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Greencastle, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed October 15, 2012

My husband and I recently stayed here for 2 nights. The lake view is very nice and it is centrally located in Deep Creek. The lobby has a nice lodge feel however the gas fireplaces had some serious fumes filling the whole place. Rooms are adequate. Housekeeping was non existent. They are supposed to bring new towels and empty trash but that didn't happen in our room. Staff ignores you as you walk by the front desk. They only speak if spoken to. There is a restaurant/bar (Dutchs Daughter) attached to the hotel. It is very nice and very convienent. I would recommend their Sunday brunch. Not sure if we would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 30, 2012

It is true that the lobby closes at 10. The staff leaves and if you get locked out, you have to call an on call staff member.

The room itself is fine enough on first appearance. We even used the free DVD rental. The problem was when it was time for bed.

This is the least comfortable room I have ever slept in in my life. The beds are not usable- hard as a rock and make the most obnoxious noises if you move in your sleep. You are better off sleeping on the floor.

We actually wanted to drive home at 2 in the morning (Pittsburgh) to attempt to salvage our sleep. I ended up sleeping on the pull out. On top of this, the climate control doesn't work and emits such an odor when the heat is turned on that the smoke detector goes off. Finally, our room smelled so badly of camp fire I was certain something unfortunate would happen to us in our sleep- thankfully that was not the case.

If you are looking for a good night sleep, don't stay here!!

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Dices412
Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed September 21, 2012

We traveled to the mountains of Western Maryland late this summer. We were unsure where exactly we wanted to stay. We had researched houses, motels and condos. We finally decided to try the condo-hotel. We had stayed at other condo hotels in the South and decided that would be the best fit for our family. Silver Tree is located in a quiet cove on the lake. We were able to dock our boat at their marina which made lake activities much easier for our family.

Our suite was decorated beautifully. Our balcony overlooked the lake. It was great getting up each morning and enjoying a cup coffee watching the water.

The restaurant located next door served great meals. And the outdoor bar was convenient for a quick adult beverage.

Before writing my review, I scanned over a few others. I am thinking that some of the reviewers are not quite understanding that The Suites at Silver Tree is not a motel or hotel. It is a condo hotel. A whole complex of rental properties. The desk staff are there to accommodate the renters but it is not a full scale hotel chain. Each suite is owned by a different person. I can say that having stayed at this type of place before that Silver Tree does this type of arrangement better than any we have stayed before. You get the best of both worlds there.

The next time we decide to vacation in the mountains we will definitely return to Silver Tree.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Tolono IL
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Spent less than 4 hours in bed because some type of insect was biting the heck out of my feet and legs. I got up several times to shake out the sheets and when I remembered that I had a flashlight packed, I searched under the covers. There was nothing visable so I wondered if it was my imagination? Finally I couldn't stand it any longer. I got up, showered, dressed, packed everything and got out of there. Needless to say it was not my imagination, I have some type of small bug bites all over my lower legs and feet. I contacted Silver Tree on Tues to ask for a refund of the $198 nightly rate. I was told they would "look into it" and get back to me. With swollen, itchy feet and legs driving my crazy, I called back on Wed afternoon and left a message for the mgr. She contacted me Thurs to say that she's sorry but since there is no sign of bed bugs or fleas, they don't think they are responsible there will be no adjustment to the $400 bill for the 2 nights we stayed. Bed Bugs or not, some type of insect was in that bed and I have numerous bug bites to prove it! The only explanation I can come up with for their poor response to a serious problem is that this place must be on the verge of shutting down or they don't expect any repeat business. AVOID

Room Tip: Find a room at another facility. If you stay here, good luck finding a room with no bugs in the bed...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank gocubz
Suites at S, Manager at Suites at Silver Tree, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
The following response is respectfully submitted.

First and foremost it should be noted that this isolated incident has been taken very seriously by the staff and management of The Suites at Silver Tree. Our guests, past and future, should not be alarmed as there is no bed bug, or any other insect, problem at The Suites at Silver Tree.

Anytime a guest is not satisfied or not comfortable for any reason it becomes a top for concern for all of us at The Suites at Silver Tree, as guest satisfaction and comfort remain a priority.

Regarding the incident in question, the room was immediately inspected; a staff evaluation was conducted, followed by a professional examination. There were no signs of bed bugs, fleas, spiders or other biting insects. The guest was personally contacted by the manager. As an experienced and conscientious hospitality professional, this incident is both frustrating and alarming. We host thousands of guests each year; consistently providing professional service and comfort. We apologize for any discomfort this guest may have endured while visiting us in the mountains during a time of year when insect activity is high. However, we wish to assure everyone that The Suites at SIlver Tree does not have a bed bug, or any other insect, problem. We take every step including staff training and implementing preventative programs to insure our guests comfort.

Respectfully sumbitted,

Lori Nelson
Manager
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed September 4, 2012

This place is all looks - it's the least comfortable hotel I have ever had the misfortune of staying at. They tell me my room, A307, was the best in the building. Really? The bed in the master suite was hard as a rock, the loft which looked pretty was so hot you couldn't breathe, and the entire suite was so flippin' dark you couldn't even read a newspaper. Looks are deceiving, don't be fooled by the pictures. If you are unfortuante enough to have problems after 10:00 p.m. you are truly screwed. The front desk closes at 10pm and doesn't open until the following morning at 8:00 a.m. They give you this long song and dance at check-in about calling an after-hours number if you have problems. With Deep Creek being such a rural area, consider yourself lucky if the person who has "on-call" duty lives closer than a half-hour away. It's always been my experience that a manager (at least) be in-house at all times. But, from what I understand from the staff there, the manager spends at little time in the building as possible. From what I witnessed, I can believe this. I have never seen such a group of unprofessional looking workers anywhere I have ever traveled. If this place got some proper management, new mattresses, and tons of new lights, it might pass as being a somewhat nice place. If you're out to impress your friends with pictures, take them in the lobby or outside on the deck, that's where all the money to build the place went.

Room Tip: Got to another hotel, that would be your best best for a good room.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Sally M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oakland
The Lodges at Sunset Village
The Garrett Inn
The Garrett Inn
#1 of 5 in Oakland
Nemacolin Woodlands Resort & Spa

Been to Suites at Silver Tree? Share your experiences!