“Wonderful stay!”

and 1 more site!
Suites at Silver Tree
Reviewed September 21, 2012

We traveled to the mountains of Western Maryland late this summer. We were unsure where exactly we wanted to stay. We had researched houses, motels and condos. We finally decided to try the condo-hotel. We had stayed at other condo hotels in the South and decided that would be the best fit for our family. Silver Tree is located in a quiet cove on the lake. We were able to dock our boat at their marina which made lake activities much easier for our family.

Our suite was decorated beautifully. Our balcony overlooked the lake. It was great getting up each morning and enjoying a cup coffee watching the water.

The restaurant located next door served great meals. And the outdoor bar was convenient for a quick adult beverage.

Before writing my review, I scanned over a few others. I am thinking that some of the reviewers are not quite understanding that The Suites at Silver Tree is not a motel or hotel. It is a condo hotel. A whole complex of rental properties. The desk staff are there to accommodate the renters but it is not a full scale hotel chain. Each suite is owned by a different person. I can say that having stayed at this type of place before that Silver Tree does this type of arrangement better than any we have stayed before. You get the best of both worlds there.

The next time we decide to vacation in the mountains we will definitely return to Silver Tree.

Reviewed September 13, 2012

Spent less than 4 hours in bed because some type of insect was biting the heck out of my feet and legs. I got up several times to shake out the sheets and when I remembered that I had a flashlight packed, I searched under the covers. There was nothing visable so I wondered if it was my imagination? Finally I couldn't stand it any longer. I got up, showered, dressed, packed everything and got out of there. Needless to say it was not my imagination, I have some type of small bug bites all over my lower legs and feet. I contacted Silver Tree on Tues to ask for a refund of the $198 nightly rate. I was told they would "look into it" and get back to me. With swollen, itchy feet and legs driving my crazy, I called back on Wed afternoon and left a message for the mgr. She contacted me Thurs to say that she's sorry but since there is no sign of bed bugs or fleas, they don't think they are responsible there will be no adjustment to the $400 bill for the 2 nights we stayed. Bed Bugs or not, some type of insect was in that bed and I have numerous bug bites to prove it! The only explanation I can come up with for their poor response to a serious problem is that this place must be on the verge of shutting down or they don't expect any repeat business. AVOID

Room Tip: Find a room at another facility. If you stay here, good luck finding a room with no bugs in the bed...
8  Thank gocubz
Suites at S, Manager at Suites at Silver Tree, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2012

The following response is respectfully submitted.

First and foremost it should be noted that this isolated incident has been taken very seriously by the staff and management of The Suites at Silver Tree. Our guests, past and future, should not be alarmed as there is no bed bug, or any other insect, problem at The Suites at Silver Tree.

Anytime a guest is not satisfied or not comfortable for any reason it becomes a top for concern for all of us at The Suites at Silver Tree, as guest satisfaction and comfort remain a priority.

Regarding the incident in question, the room was immediately inspected; a staff evaluation was conducted, followed by a professional examination. There were no signs of bed bugs, fleas, spiders or other biting insects. The guest was personally contacted by the manager. As an experienced and conscientious hospitality professional, this incident is both frustrating and alarming. We host thousands of guests each year; consistently providing professional service and comfort. We apologize for any discomfort this guest may have endured while visiting us in the mountains during a time of year when insect activity is high. However, we wish to assure everyone that The Suites at SIlver Tree does not have a bed bug, or any other insect, problem. We take every step including staff training and implementing preventative programs to insure our guests comfort.

Respectfully sumbitted,

Lori Nelson
Manager

Reviewed September 4, 2012

This place is all looks - it's the least comfortable hotel I have ever had the misfortune of staying at. They tell me my room, A307, was the best in the building. Really? The bed in the master suite was hard as a rock, the loft which looked pretty was so hot you couldn't breathe, and the entire suite was so flippin' dark you couldn't even read a newspaper. Looks are deceiving, don't be fooled by the pictures. If you are unfortuante enough to have problems after 10:00 p.m. you are truly screwed. The front desk closes at 10pm and doesn't open until the following morning at 8:00 a.m. They give you this long song and dance at check-in about calling an after-hours number if you have problems. With Deep Creek being such a rural area, consider yourself lucky if the person who has "on-call" duty lives closer than a half-hour away. It's always been my experience that a manager (at least) be in-house at all times. But, from what I understand from the staff there, the manager spends at little time in the building as possible. From what I witnessed, I can believe this. I have never seen such a group of unprofessional looking workers anywhere I have ever traveled. If this place got some proper management, new mattresses, and tons of new lights, it might pass as being a somewhat nice place. If you're out to impress your friends with pictures, take them in the lobby or outside on the deck, that's where all the money to build the place went.

Room Tip: Got to another hotel, that would be your best best for a good room.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Sally M
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We stayed here for labor day weekend and the accomodations were above our expectations. The hotel has been recently renovated and the room was very clean and new. We had a lakeside view, unit 123A and a little deck area to sit outside. The front desk employees were very friendly. There is free DVD rental and wifi. You can rent boats and kayak's right on the property and put in a few feet from the back door.
Pretty much the only issues were that our room was missing the remote for the DVD player and there were no spares. The room did seem to be kind of warm even though the AC was set at 60. We turned the fan on high at night and that seemed to help.
There is a beachy type bar on the property which is really cool and the restaurant Dutch's (connected to the hotel) is absolutely awesome!!! The food was great!!!
The hotel is close to about everything, deep creek park is around the corner, swallows falls is down the street a couple of miles. White water rafting (not at wisp), is an hour away. There is a winery about 30 minutes or so away (deep creek cellars). There are restaurants and bars down the street, not too far (Honi Honi bar, Mountain State Brewing Co). You should plan breakfast because there is no breakfast offered on site at Dutch's, except brunch on Sunday. The front desk has a list of restaurants and bars in the area which is really helpful.

I'll be back in two weeks for a race and if anything changes I'll update this review.

Room Tip: Go for the lakeside view, I think the standard view faces the road...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank litespeedrace
Reviewed September 3, 2012

First time for us to Deep Creek Lake. 4 adults, 2 kids. Hotel is gorgeous, very nicely decorated with upscale rustic charm. Dutch's Restaurant in the hotel is very good, live music, and 2 lively bar areas (one indoor and one outdoor). Small playground right next to patio so could easily watch kids play. Located right on the lake, great views.
The room: very large space, 2 floors with spiral staircase leading up to loft. Great for the kids to sleep up there with their own daybed and a pull out sofa (loft sleeps 4 plus has a huge walk in closet where you could put a crib. The pull out beds are rough, but the kids did not care. Bedding was provided and smelled clean.
the downstairs had a king master bedroom (no tv in there) and the main living area had a kitchen with fullsize fridge and microwave. Nice kitchen table for 4. Another pull out sofa and tv in living area, small 2 person balcony.
the loft area does get hot.
The lake front is very stoney and really only used as a marina. Swimming with boats not such a good idea.
You can drive to a sandy beach at the state park. . .charge is $5 per person.
No pool at hotel.
No activities for that matter. Just eating and drinking and nice accommodations. And boating if you rent one.
All activities cost money and are a car ride away.
Nothing felt crowded. . .and they said they were busy.
Our building had an elevator - the others do not!
Would def go back to to Silvertree; just with different expectations.

1  Thank twinsinpa
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Our family loved Silver Tree Suites, especially B303. We rented this one bedroom with loft condo for a total of 6 people, 4 adults and 2 kids. Our kids loved the loft area with separate fireplace and large flatscreen TV with DVD player. The huge flatscreen TV in the living room with DVD player and second fireplace came in handy when the weather failed to cooperate with our outdoor plans. There was even a flatscreen tv in the separate bedroom! Although there wasn't a stove in the kitchenette, our condo had a separate convection oven with pizza drawer that we used a couple of times during our stay. We chose this condo because the owners have added a double bed and dresser in a privately situated area in the loft, in addition to the 2 queen sleeper sofas, one in the living room and one in the loft area. We also liked the staircase-- not a narrow spiral staircase like in the website pictures ( easier to carry luggage up a normal staircase to the loft). We enjoyed the added privacy and quiet of building B. Views of the lake from the deck were gorgeous! Complimentary coffee and DVDs were a nice touch! Dutch's Restaurant next door had excellent food and beautiful atmosphere. Lakeside bar also very handy for a nice cocktail/beer! We loved our Deep Creek Lake vacation at SilverTree Suites and will definitely return.

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank Decoratortwin
Reviewed August 15, 2012

The construction of the rooms is not what you would expect to find in a normal hotel or motel. There is no soundproofing in the floors or walls. It is constructed more like adjoining bedrooms in your home, where you can hear a TV in the next room, or people shouting. My stay was very unpleasant because the people in the next room were partying at 11:00 PM, and I could hear every word, and every other word was a swear word, loudly. It was impossible to go to sleep.

This hotel is also not like a regular hotel or motel in that the front desk goes off duty at 10:00 PM. So if you have a problem like the one I experienced there is nobody to help you out. The hotel makes it clear in advance that they are not on duty after 10:00, but that does not excuse it. I walked out of the hotel after the first night -- I cut my weekend vacation short. It was like living in the movie "Animal House" with a bunch of frat boys next door, swearing continually and probably drunk.

The room itself was highly overpriced for what it was. There was a mini-kitchen with a sink, refrigerator, dish washer, toaster, and coffee maker, but no stove-top. Strange. And it was also strange that it was not lighted. The "kitchen" corner of the room was too dark to use. The bathroom was very small. Even without considering the lack of soundproofing and management, the hotel was a poor value at the price.

The room had one of the last bulky CRT TVs in existence. It was probably an old 21 inch TV. It was installed on a swivel platform that came out from the wall at a height of about six feet. It would swivel only about ten degrees, so you could only watch it from the sofa, not the bed. And it didn’t tilt down so you had to look up to see it. Very strange. There was no place to store the DVD player, so it was propped up on top of the curved top of the TV, with connecting cables falling down to the jacks in on the front of the TV. Move the cables in exactly the right way, and you can avoid them being visible on the TV screen. But if the DVD slips off the TV in the process of making this adjustment it falls behind the TV, and you need to get on a chair and work for about 20 minutes to recover the DVD player from the inaccessible space behind the TV.

You can probably get a better and more comfortable room at Motel 6.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank RayM174
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oakland
4 mi away
#1 of 2 in McHenry
3 mi away
Haley Farm Bed and Breakfast and Retreat Center
Carmel Cove Inn at Deep Creek Lake

Been to Suites at Silver Tree? Share your experiences!