“PACK YOUR BUG SPRAY!!!!!! or better yet, stay away” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Suites at Silver Tree

Suites at Silver Tree
Tolono IL
“PACK YOUR BUG SPRAY!!!!!! or better yet, stay away”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

Spent less than 4 hours in bed because some type of insect was biting the heck out of my feet and legs. I got up several times to shake out the sheets and when I remembered that I had a flashlight packed, I searched under the covers. There was nothing visable so I wondered if it was my imagination? Finally I couldn't stand it any longer. I got up, showered, dressed, packed everything and got out of there. Needless to say it was not my imagination, I have some type of small bug bites all over my lower legs and feet. I contacted Silver Tree on Tues to ask for a refund of the $198 nightly rate. I was told they would "look into it" and get back to me. With swollen, itchy feet and legs driving my crazy, I called back on Wed afternoon and left a message for the mgr. She contacted me Thurs to say that she's sorry but since there is no sign of bed bugs or fleas, they don't think they are responsible there will be no adjustment to the $400 bill for the 2 nights we stayed. Bed Bugs or not, some type of insect was in that bed and I have numerous bug bites to prove it! The only explanation I can come up with for their poor response to a serious problem is that this place must be on the verge of shutting down or they don't expect any repeat business. AVOID

Room Tip: Find a room at another facility. If you stay here, good luck finding a room with no bugs in the bed...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank gocubz
Suites at S, Manager at Suites at Silver Tree, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
The following response is respectfully submitted.

First and foremost it should be noted that this isolated incident has been taken very seriously by the staff and management of The Suites at Silver Tree. Our guests, past and future, should not be alarmed as there is no bed bug, or any other insect, problem at The Suites at Silver Tree.

Anytime a guest is not satisfied or not comfortable for any reason it becomes a top for concern for all of us at The Suites at Silver Tree, as guest satisfaction and comfort remain a priority.

Regarding the incident in question, the room was immediately inspected; a staff evaluation was conducted, followed by a professional examination. There were no signs of bed bugs, fleas, spiders or other biting insects. The guest was personally contacted by the manager. As an experienced and conscientious hospitality professional, this incident is both frustrating and alarming. We host thousands of guests each year; consistently providing professional service and comfort. We apologize for any discomfort this guest may have endured while visiting us in the mountains during a time of year when insect activity is high. However, we wish to assure everyone that The Suites at SIlver Tree does not have a bed bug, or any other insect, problem. We take every step including staff training and implementing preventative programs to insure our guests comfort.

Respectfully sumbitted,

Lori Nelson
Manager

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Baltimore, Maryland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

This place is all looks - it's the least comfortable hotel I have ever had the misfortune of staying at. They tell me my room, A307, was the best in the building. Really? The bed in the master suite was hard as a rock, the loft which looked pretty was so hot you couldn't breathe, and the entire suite was so flippin' dark you couldn't even read a newspaper. Looks are deceiving, don't be fooled by the pictures. If you are unfortuante enough to have problems after 10:00 p.m. you are truly screwed. The front desk closes at 10pm and doesn't open until the following morning at 8:00 a.m. They give you this long song and dance at check-in about calling an after-hours number if you have problems. With Deep Creek being such a rural area, consider yourself lucky if the person who has "on-call" duty lives closer than a half-hour away. It's always been my experience that a manager (at least) be in-house at all times. But, from what I understand from the staff there, the manager spends at little time in the building as possible. From what I witnessed, I can believe this. I have never seen such a group of unprofessional looking workers anywhere I have ever traveled. If this place got some proper management, new mattresses, and tons of new lights, it might pass as being a somewhat nice place. If you're out to impress your friends with pictures, take them in the lobby or outside on the deck, that's where all the money to build the place went.

Room Tip: Got to another hotel, that would be your best best for a good room.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Sally M
Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

We stayed here for labor day weekend and the accomodations were above our expectations. The hotel has been recently renovated and the room was very clean and new. We had a lakeside view, unit 123A and a little deck area to sit outside. The front desk employees were very friendly. There is free DVD rental and wifi. You can rent boats and kayak's right on the property and put in a few feet from the back door.
Pretty much the only issues were that our room was missing the remote for the DVD player and there were no spares. The room did seem to be kind of warm even though the AC was set at 60. We turned the fan on high at night and that seemed to help.
There is a beachy type bar on the property which is really cool and the restaurant Dutch's (connected to the hotel) is absolutely awesome!!! The food was great!!!
The hotel is close to about everything, deep creek park is around the corner, swallows falls is down the street a couple of miles. White water rafting (not at wisp), is an hour away. There is a winery about 30 minutes or so away (deep creek cellars). There are restaurants and bars down the street, not too far (Honi Honi bar, Mountain State Brewing Co). You should plan breakfast because there is no breakfast offered on site at Dutch's, except brunch on Sunday. The front desk has a list of restaurants and bars in the area which is really helpful.

I'll be back in two weeks for a race and if anything changes I'll update this review.

Room Tip: Go for the lakeside view, I think the standard view faces the road...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank litespeedrace
Boothwyn, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012

First time for us to Deep Creek Lake. 4 adults, 2 kids. Hotel is gorgeous, very nicely decorated with upscale rustic charm. Dutch's Restaurant in the hotel is very good, live music, and 2 lively bar areas (one indoor and one outdoor). Small playground right next to patio so could easily watch kids play. Located right on the lake, great views.
The room: very large space, 2 floors with spiral staircase leading up to loft. Great for the kids to sleep up there with their own daybed and a pull out sofa (loft sleeps 4 plus has a huge walk in closet where you could put a crib. The pull out beds are rough, but the kids did not care. Bedding was provided and smelled clean.
the downstairs had a king master bedroom (no tv in there) and the main living area had a kitchen with fullsize fridge and microwave. Nice kitchen table for 4. Another pull out sofa and tv in living area, small 2 person balcony.
the loft area does get hot.
The lake front is very stoney and really only used as a marina. Swimming with boats not such a good idea.
You can drive to a sandy beach at the state park. . .charge is $5 per person.
No pool at hotel.
No activities for that matter. Just eating and drinking and nice accommodations. And boating if you rent one.
All activities cost money and are a car ride away.
Nothing felt crowded. . .and they said they were busy.
Our building had an elevator - the others do not!
Would def go back to to Silvertree; just with different expectations.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank twinsinpa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

Our family loved Silver Tree Suites, especially B303. We rented this one bedroom with loft condo for a total of 6 people, 4 adults and 2 kids. Our kids loved the loft area with separate fireplace and large flatscreen TV with DVD player. The huge flatscreen TV in the living room with DVD player and second fireplace came in handy when the weather failed to cooperate with our outdoor plans. There was even a flatscreen tv in the separate bedroom! Although there wasn't a stove in the kitchenette, our condo had a separate convection oven with pizza drawer that we used a couple of times during our stay. We chose this condo because the owners have added a double bed and dresser in a privately situated area in the loft, in addition to the 2 queen sleeper sofas, one in the living room and one in the loft area. We also liked the staircase-- not a narrow spiral staircase like in the website pictures ( easier to carry luggage up a normal staircase to the loft). We enjoyed the added privacy and quiet of building B. Views of the lake from the deck were gorgeous! Complimentary coffee and DVDs were a nice touch! Dutch's Restaurant next door had excellent food and beautiful atmosphere. Lakeside bar also very handy for a nice cocktail/beer! We loved our Deep Creek Lake vacation at SilverTree Suites and will definitely return.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Decoratortwin
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2012

The construction of the rooms is not what you would expect to find in a normal hotel or motel. There is no soundproofing in the floors or walls. It is constructed more like adjoining bedrooms in your home, where you can hear a TV in the next room, or people shouting. My stay was very unpleasant because the people in the next room were partying at 11:00 PM, and I could hear every word, and every other word was a swear word, loudly. It was impossible to go to sleep.

This hotel is also not like a regular hotel or motel in that the front desk goes off duty at 10:00 PM. So if you have a problem like the one I experienced there is nobody to help you out. The hotel makes it clear in advance that they are not on duty after 10:00, but that does not excuse it. I walked out of the hotel after the first night -- I cut my weekend vacation short. It was like living in the movie "Animal House" with a bunch of frat boys next door, swearing continually and probably drunk.

The room itself was highly overpriced for what it was. There was a mini-kitchen with a sink, refrigerator, dish washer, toaster, and coffee maker, but no stove-top. Strange. And it was also strange that it was not lighted. The "kitchen" corner of the room was too dark to use. The bathroom was very small. Even without considering the lack of soundproofing and management, the hotel was a poor value at the price.

The room had one of the last bulky CRT TVs in existence. It was probably an old 21 inch TV. It was installed on a swivel platform that came out from the wall at a height of about six feet. It would swivel only about ten degrees, so you could only watch it from the sofa, not the bed. And it didn’t tilt down so you had to look up to see it. Very strange. There was no place to store the DVD player, so it was propped up on top of the curved top of the TV, with connecting cables falling down to the jacks in on the front of the TV. Move the cables in exactly the right way, and you can avoid them being visible on the TV screen. But if the DVD slips off the TV in the process of making this adjustment it falls behind the TV, and you need to get on a chair and work for about 20 minutes to recover the DVD player from the inaccessible space behind the TV.

You can probably get a better and more comfortable room at Motel 6.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Ray M
Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012

We spent 4 days 3 nights at Deep Creek Lake for the first time to celebrate a family milestone with 22 family members. We booked the Suites at Silver tree for all of the families and there was a good variety of room types to fit everyone's needs, it was a good location, and each room had kitchen facilities (except no oven).
We were thrilled with the location, right on the lake. There is a beautiful lobby and huge deck with lots of areas for all of us to sit and talk, eat, and enjoy the view. There is also a boat rental directly in front of the hotel, which was convenient. There is a nice reading loft with board games to use if you want. There is coffee provided free of charge, however only for 2 hours in the morning. It would be nice to have this provided throughout the day and evening.
There is an exercise room, however it was very disappointing. It was in the basement, dark, no windows, no t.v. or music, only 3 rather dated machines (recumbent bike, treadmill, elliptical) and a universal gym that was hard to figure out. There is no way to control the air conditioning in the room and no fans, so after a few minutes, it gets very hot. It kind of felt like a dungeon room!
We stayed in a room on the 3rd floor of the "A" building, it was a 1 bedroom with loft. The room is a living room/kitchen open area with a seperate bedroom. The room was in good repair and clean and seemed spacious. There was 1 bathroom which was spacious, clean, plenty of counter space, bright, with a good forceful hot shower.
The kitchen was well appointed with dishes, glasses, cutlery, etc. There is a microwave, full size fridge (some units have small mini fridges, ask if you want a full fridge), dishwasher, coffeemaker, and toaster. There is no oven/stove/burner, so you can't really cook, just reheat. The kitchen was also clean and fairly spacious. There is a small kitchen table however only 2 kitchen chairs, which makes no sense in a room that sleeps 6 people.
There is a spiral staircase that leads up to the loft which is pretty but in the middle of the unit. You have to maneuver your way around it to get to the living room area or balcony, and need to be careful not to whack your head when going by, especially if you sleep on the sleeper sofa in the living room.
The loft was huge, very spacious, with a huge closet (no hangers!). It was hot up there with no air conditioning. There are 2 fans provided, but it doesn't help much. There is no bathroom up there. There is no tv up there either, it is a huge space that is half empty. We did not use it because it was too hot, so it was a waste of money to rent that room. We complained to the front desk and all that was offered was another fan. We were told that the lofts in the "B" building had air conditioning, so they are obviously aware of the problem. I'm not sure why they do not add air conditioners to the "A" building lofts. Request a loft suite in the "B" building if that's what you need.
The bedroom was spacious with a king sized bed a large closet (5 hangers) and very comfortable. There was a dresser and air conditioning unit, which made it comfortable. Again no t.v. Also, there is no full length mirror!!! We had to keep going over to the bathroom and try to use the bathroom mirror when we got dressed. Only a small round mirror in the bedroom, that is hung up bit too high, so you can't really see yourself unless you're tall!
There is daily maid service, however all they do is leave extra towels and empty the trash. No change of linens, no vacuuming, no dusting. For an extra fee (?$25) you can have a full cleaning. In a room that costs over $200 a night, we expected full daily cleaning. That was disappointing.
There is also a large coat closet again with no hangers. there is a nice fireplace in the living room, however we did not use it since it was summertime.
The one television is in the living room area, and it is situated above the fireplace, rather high up.
I would recommend staying here for the location, view, and wonderful deck area. The rooms are lacking and the front desk rather not concerned with good customer service.

Room Tip: Loft room in the "B" building are equipped with air conditioners. Lakeside room is worth t...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank chayared
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oakland
The Lodges at Sunset Village
Blue Moon Rising
Blue Moon Rising
#1 of 2 in McHenry
Wisp Resort Hotel and Conference Center

Been to Suites at Silver Tree? Share your experiences!