“Okay for just one night...”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in North East
New Holland, Pennsylvania
“Okay for just one night...”
Reviewed June 16, 2014

My husband and I decided on a last minute weekend trip with our 2 kids for Father's Day weekend to Elk Neck State Park and found this hotel nearby in North East. It wasn't my first choice, however it was the only local hotel that had a room available for our family of 4. Check-in went well, room was adequate. We requested 2 queen beds, which we got. There was a sleeper sofa and a large desk in the room. Bathroom was adequate sized with a double-sink out in the room area. I did notice after arriving that there was a pack of cigarettes on the floor under the sink, but I did not smell cigarette smoke in the room, which I have a very sensitive sense of smell and would have been able to smell it immediately. The room seemed clean otherwise. Our bed however was very lumpy and uncomfortable and my husband kept rolling towards me during the night. Neither of us are very large people, but the bed was either tilted or very worn out. Also, the A/C in our room did not work at all. Thankfully it hasn't been that warm so the room stayed comfortable. But it didn't seem to cool down any with the A/C on, so we tried it out by setting it to 60 for a few hours, it never got any colder (we set it to cold air with high fan). Another reviewer commented that it was typical with wall unit A/C's, but I've stayed in plenty of hotels with the same type of A/C's and never had problems with adjusting the room temp. The indoor pool was very small, although no one else was using it. The water was freezing cold, might be why no one else was in there. Breakfast was pretty good. We thankfully got our food and were seated about 2 minutes before a dozen teenage girls showed up, I think they were part of a lacrosse team. It quickly got crowded and people were all waiting for food and tables after that. Not the hotels fault, we were just happy with 2 little kids that we "beat the crowd" and were able to get a table and our food before they all arrived. Our only other complaint was a group of guests staying there decided to have a BBQ in the parking lot with one of those camping grills. Nothing wrong with that, however they took up several parking spots right in front of the side entrance door, which was closest to our room. My husband had wanted to park in front of the door while unloading all of our stuff, but wasn't able to. You would think the staff would notice and ask them to move elsewhere in the parking lot, away from the entrance doors, for the convenience of the guests. There were plenty of other areas of the parking lot that wouldn't take up close spots for those unloading or who can't walk as far that the guests could have used instead. If we were to stay in the area again, I would definitely try to get into one of the other hotels.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Dragonfly9702

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Franklin, New Jersey
Reviewed May 29, 2014

I would like to give this hotel a good review but unfortunately I wouldn't be honest if I did. My husband and I decided to stay here for just one night passing through to Washington, DC. We decided on this hotel because it was very close to a restaurant that we love and visit every year..Woody's Crab House.
Upon check in I was informed (after asking) that I would have a room with two queen beds. I told the hotel representative that I had reserved a room with a King. She said she didn't make the reservation, the manager did and there was nothing else available. That was Disappointment #1! Disappointment# 2-I asked for a non smoking room but from the minute I entered the floor from outside there was a heavy smell of cigarette smoke that pervaded the floor. It must have been in the carpet, but it was stale and disgusting. Even my husband smelled it and he doesn't have a good sense of smell to begin with. Maybe it was a non smoking room but sure wasn't a non smoking floor. You would think they would put non smoking rooms in a different section. It smelled like carpet cleaner covered smoke! At one time, I'm sure recently it was a smoking room.
Our room? If I could have left then I would have. It was dingy, "scuzzy" for want of a better word, smelled of stale smoke, curtains were dirty, dust on all the lights (fluorescent? really?) doors smudged and chipped and scarred up like you wouldn't believe. Do they ever update ?? Just a dirty feel to the whole room. I started itching 10 minutes after I got there. And no, I don't have allergies. I wasn't worried about what I could see, I was worried about what I couldn't see! I have never been so disappointed in a hotel like this before. I told the rep on duty the next morning and she just couldn't seem to understand why I would be complaining. She took a whopping $20 off my bill. Wow!! I told her I had other choices of places to stay, like Holiday Inn Express and Best Western, but chose Comfort Inn because I thought it was a safe bet. Boy was I wrong! Never again!

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Anil P, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

I want to first thank you for taking the time to complete a survey regarding your recent visit to our property. We strive to provide each guest with outstanding service and accommodations. We apologize for failing to exceed your expectations. Your feedback will be used to evaluate areas that may need improvement. I would like to ask that you please allow us another opportunity to provide you with the outstanding service that we take pride in providing. Feel free to contact me directly by contacting the hotel if you would like to return to the property in the future. Again thank you for your time and the feedback you have provided.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 26, 2014

We stayed here for one night over Memorial Day Weekend. We wanted to stay near Elk Neck State Park. The hotel is clean and right off of I-95. Just an FYI- the indoor pool is very small and was freezing! The hot tub had so much chlorine it irritated my eyes. But we weren't really here for the pool area.
The thing that was really disappointing was that they only serve the included breakfast until 10am and we were never told this. There was also no info in the room about it. We went down at 10:05 and was told we were too late. OK, maybe that was our oversight, but you think they would have at least offered to let us have some cereal which they have out in the room that they locked us out of all the time. They were definitely not looking to make things right!
Also, be aware that they have pet allowed and smoking rooms. I booked the Express Deal through Priceline (you don't know exactly what hotel your getting until you pay, only the area) and was never told this. When we got there they had placed us in a smoking room. Fortunately, they were able to move us to a smoke-free room.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed May 26, 2014 via mobile

Like anything, there were positives and negatives. The positives were friendly professional staff who accommodated me checking in early, greeted me in the hall and assisted me in different ways. Room was clean and tidy, and included amenities such as tv, coffee pot, and wifi. Bed was comfortable and the temperature in the room could be adjusted to our comfort. Negatives was the smell of a bonfire in the hall, even though they were non smoking room, there was a very strong smoke smell. There were also areas which were worn down or falling apart such as in the back stairs. I was also really surprised there wasn't an elevator, which is pretty unusual this day in age. Overall an OK choice.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Daytona Beach, Florida
Reviewed May 14, 2014

We traveled to my son's graduation recently and planned to stay on campus. Things did not work out and we needed a place to stay that was convenient since the graduation was early in the morning. My daughter found this place online and it was perfect. It was convenient, well within our budget and the rooms were very clean. The beds were comfortable. It is pet friendly. I saw some folks checking in with their four-legged family members. It is a non-smoking hotel. We did run into the remnants of someone who smoked in the hall but that was the only sign of cigarettes. There is a Denny's nearby and a liquor store across the street. The hotel is located far from I-95. It worked for this party of five adults. We travelled to Ithaca, NY, the next day and went to another Comfort Inn and Suites. They wanted twice the price for one night. Go figure.

Green Features: I think they ask you to reuse your towels. I am not really sure. We were there just one night.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Anil P, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites, responded to this review, May 16, 2014
Thank you for completing a review regarding your recent visit to our property. The kind words serve as an encouragement to all of the staff. We strive to make each guests' stay the most enjoyable one they have had. We hope to see you again in the near future. Thank you for choosing Comfort Inn & Suites of North East, MD.

Asst. General Manager
Phoenixville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 27, 2014

The Comfort I&S in North East is just off I95 and about 2 miles from "downtown" North East. We had a room on the first floor near the door and it was still quiet. Indoor pool and hot tub were nice. The room was clean and comfortable except the temperature was a little difficult to control, but this is typical of the wall unit heating/cooling. Bath was fine with a double sink outside of the bathroom.The door to the room seem a little worn but not damaged. Breakfast was good, both hot and cold. Service was fine. Free WiFi but there is a 99 cent charge for "media" i.e. house phone, lobby printer etc. Ask to remove it at checkout if you didn't use it.
Good place to stay if you need bed, pool and breakfast near some beautiful Chesapeake activities.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Anil P, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Thank you for your most recent review of your stay at our property. Kind words from our guests serves as an encouragement to all of the staff. We will be sure to share your response with everyone. We hope to see you in the future! Thank you for choosing Comfort Inn & Suites of North East, MD.

Natoshia Waters
Asst. General Manager
Lakeville, CT
Reviewed March 29, 2014 via mobile

The room was very clean!
Beds we're super comfy with a note saying the front two were softer/back two firmer.
Staff was amazingly polite and friendly (even at out 12am check in time)
The hotel seemed newly furnished.
The room (double queen-non smoking) came well equipped. TV, DVD player, microwave, mini fridge, coffee pot. It even had a desk, small couch and coffee table! Wish I could have stayed 2 night!
Easy to find off 95

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Anil P, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to complete a survey about your recent stay at our property. The compliments will be shared with all staff. We hope to see you again in the future. Thank you for continuing to choose Comfort Inn & Suites.

Also consider these accommodations in or near North East
Hampton Inn Elkton
Hampton Inn Elkton
#2 of 8 in Elkton
#7 of 16 in Aberdeen

Been to Comfort Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!